Vision Of Escaflowne Fan Fiction ❯ Hanging By A Moment ❯ Hanging By A Moment ( One-Shot )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Disclaimer: Avaris-Sky-(who-was-been-brought-back-from-the-long-list-of-missing-in-acti on-writers-thought-dead-has-been-brought-to-help-spread-horrible-plague-of- the-evil-things-called-fan-fics-across-the-world)-denies-the-ownership-of- The-Vision-of-Escaflowne-or-the-song-Hanging -By-A-Moment-(Lifehouse).So-there. And-yes-she-does-take-great-pleasure-in-typing-like-this. And-talking-in-third-person-for-that-matter. Yup.

WARNING: Major spoilage if you've never seen the ending of the series. This is my fluff-packed spin-off of how I think the ending should have been. The tissue warning is also in effect.

~*~

Desperate for changing
Starving for truth
Closer where I started
Chasing after you

~*~

I sighed and closed my eyes, breathing in the thick sunshine that filtered through the leafy canopy of the Fanellian gardens.

I'll always remember the smell of the Fanellian gardens.

The smell of crushed rose petals and fallen tears.

The smell of the wind on a long summer day.

The smell of Van.

My pendent hung around my neck more like a lead weight then a crystal, burning into my throat as tears stung my eyes.

"Hey."

He titled my head up towards him, so our eyes met and I was lost forever in their hurt.

"Don't cry. Good-byes aren't forever."

At that moment, I would have given up all of Gaea's riches in a heartbeat to believe in those words.

~*~

I'm falling even more in love with you
Letting go of all I've held onto
I'm standing here until you make me move
I'm hanging by a moment here with you


~*~

I silently pleaded with him, not to do this, not to make this any harder.

To stop looking at me this way.

His eyes where so filled with hurt and longing, I felt my heart shatter into a thousand tiny shards again… and again…

Why?

Why did he have to be so beautiful?

Why did he have to be so wonderful?

Why did he have to be so Van?

A sob escaped my throat, and he brushed away a single teardrop with his thumb, his hand cupping my chin.

~*~

Forgetting all I'm lacking
Completely incomplete
I'll take your invitation
You take all of me

~*~

Words tumbled through my head, and yet none of them would come out of my mouth.

For the first time in my life, I didn't know what to say…

Van mumbled something I couldn't make out as he crushed me to his chest in a hug.

My world flickered and contracted in his arms, all I felt, all I knew, was him at that moment.

His arms tightened around me as I hung weakly unto to him, trying desperately to drink up all of his scent, burning into my memory the tingling feeling of his touch, trying to desperately remember all of him at this moment, never wanting to let go of him.

~*~

Now, I'm falling even more in love with you
Letting go of all I've held onto
I'm standing here until you make me move
I'm hanging by a moment here with you

~*~

I didn't want to… I couldn't…

This was the moment I had been waiting for so long.

I had seen so much during the war. I had felt so much pain.

But nothing compared to letting go of him at that moment.

Nothing could.

We pulled away, and I swallowed hard.

He cupped the energist between us, his forehead resting against mine, his beautiful, beautiful swanlike neck dipped, his breathing slow and irregular.

"Hitomi… I…"

~*~

I'm living for the only thing I know
I'm running and not quite sure where to go
I don't know what I'm diving into
Just hanging by a moment here with you

~*~

The light poured out the energist like fire searing around my feet, separating me from him.

A single, last whimper came from my lips as I stared into his deep eyes.

I'll never forget his eyes at that moment.

They reflected what I was feeling inside.

Lost.

~*~

There's nothing else to lose
Nothing else to find
There is nothing in the world that can change my mind
There is nothing else
There is nothing else…

~*~

~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ 3 Months Later ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~

I sighed, curling my toes up in the pure white sand of the beach.

Dryden once told me that hope can heal any wound, not matter how deep.

I know it's only been three months since…

Since… I came back to Earth…

But the pain in my heart is just as strong as it was the day I let go of him.

I wonder if there really is a way to ever fully fill the hole in my heart that was left by loosing Van.

What I had with Van was deeper then friendship… deeper then love even…

We where peanut butter to each other's jelly. The chocolate sauce to each other's ice cream.

We are what makes each other whole.

Nothing can heal that kind of hole.

Nothing but hope.

Hope that one day we will be together again.

I know things will never be the same again… But…

I can't explain it… it's almost like a sixth sense… It's telling me that no matter what happens, in the end, we will always be together.

Even though we're far apart… we're still one.

No matter what happens, no matter what Fate gives me----

I know that I will always love you, Van Fanel.

From this moment, until the day I die.

I will always love you.

~*~ Avaris Sky ~*~

© April 28, 2003