Vision Of Escaflowne Fan Fiction ❯ It's Not Easy [Working Title] ❯ Having Nothing But Prayer ( Prologue )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

A/N: I know that it's confusing now, but I promise I'll work out all the kinks as soon as school lets up. I've actually had this written for some weeks now which is the only reason I have a few chapters I can post. Also, this is not a romance. I only have one romance I'm writing and this is not it. I hope you enjoy.

Warning: None for this chapter. This one is clean. Just some unidentified torturing of a young girl's soul.

Disclaimer: I do not own Escaflowne, but I do own these words and the plot they form. You plagiarize my work and I will hunt you down. *grin* Just fooling, but please, this is my work, don't use it without my permission.

@~~~^~~~~ ~~~~^~~~@

It's Not Easy [Working Title]

@~~~^~~~~ ~~~~^~~~@

The world held its breath as dreary clouds drifted steadily across the sky. People moved quickly towards their homes, determined to beat the brewing storm. Some, however, were unlucky enough to be caught in the downpour. The heavens broke open upon the streets below, the world's pain embedded in those icy tears. The rain drove the people to move with greater speed, never to slow, never to let the cold fear soak them to the bone.

A lone figure, shrouded in a dark cloak, stood before a small grave. His eyes were focused steadily on the headstone, attempting to read the lettering hidden in shadow. Pulling the cloak tighter about his frame, he knelt down and brushed aside the dead leaves surrounding the grave and lay a bouquet of forget-me-nots upon the grave. Heaving a great sigh, he stood. He kissed his fingers lightly before touching them to the grave marker.

"I'll never forget," he whispered. He once again pulled the cloak closer to his shivering body, the cold having finally seeped through. He lowered his head in respect as he turned away and made his way out of the graveyard and towards his home. He had taken no more than a few steps when a young girl's plea for help reached his ears. His eyes went wild for a moment. 'Her voice, she sounds just like...' The thought never finished as he raced towards the source of the call. The crying, nearly lost in the howling wind, was coming from a tiny girl, no more than eight. Her legs were drawn up to her chest is she tried desperately to find warmth in her thoroughly soaked clothing.

'Oh God, it can't be. That hair, that voice... No! She's dead! It's not her!' the boy thought, his emotions warring within him. Cautiously he made his over to the distraught girl, determined to find answers and help in any way he could.

A flash of lightening lit the sky, two words on the forgotten gravestone now visible in the lit darkness: I promise.

*~~~~*~~~~*

A storm raged in the sky above, making its anger known to the masses. A bright flash lit the sky for a moment before disappearing again within the darkness of the night. One, two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight, nine. A loud boom echoed across the distance sending fear into the hearts of those unfortunate to be caught in the elemental's rage.

A child ran through the streets as rain pounded mercilessly at her back. Tears streamed down her face to mingle with the cold rain, soaking her entire body. The wind snarled at her, clawed at her clothes, pulled at her hair. She ran as far and as fast as her young legs could carry her. She didn't even cringe as lightening flashed in the heavens again. One, two, three, four, five. Thunder shook the land once more causing the tiny girl to flinch in brief fear. The storm was moving closer, but that was the least of her worries at the moment.

A familiar house loomed in the distance. The child's mind, now only able to comprehend one word, "Yukari," encouraged her ever faster towards her only known safe haven. The girl slipped and skidded across puddles of rain water, never able to move fast enough to reach her destination. After what seemed an eternity she finally reached her friend's front porch. Lightening lit the sky once again, revealing her destination finally before her. She stood there a moment to catch her breath, her arms wrapped tightly around her shivering frame. One, two, three, four. Thunder crashing above her head jolted her into stumbling the rest of the way to the door.

"Yukari!" the girl shouted over and over again at the top of her lungs. She pounded on the door praying someone would be awake to hear her desperate plea. After what seemed hours later, her fist tired, she sank to the ground. "Please..." the soft cry was lost in the howling wind. Her tears came harder now, the sobs racking her small body. She drew her legs up to her chest and buried her face in her arms. "Please... help me."

Electricity soared through the clouds. One, two, three. The little girl shivered as the thunder roared. The rain was ice cold as it soaked her to the bone. She was hungry, scared, and alone. A soft hand on her shoulder caused her to jump to her feet in shock. Unable to regain her footing she slipped in the puddle of rain water that had gathered under her. Before she could crash onto the unforgiving cement, warm arms encircled her body and held her close. She didn't care who this stranger was or how he knew to find her out in the pounding rain. She only cared that he was there, that his arms conveyed the unspoken promise to protect from whatever ailed her. Snuggling into his embrace she allowed herself the sleep she had been denied for so long.

The boy holding her smiled and stroked her hair. Without a single word, he scooped her sleeping form into his arms and carried her back to his house next door to Yukari. He closed the door just as another bolt of lightening lit the heavens. One, two. The thunder crashed, louder than ever before. The storm was nearly on top of them growling threats of pain and loss.

@~~~^~~~~ ~~~~^~~~@