Vision Of Escaflowne Fan Fiction ❯ Mystic Wings ❯ The 'Vacation' Begins ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter One
The Vacation Begins
 
Hitomi sat behind the wheel of Van's convertible. She was wearing a pair of his sunglasses and paying what attention she could spare to the road ahead of her. Van was sitting in the seat beside her. He had pushed it all the way back to make room for his cast (his two crutches were lying across the back seat), and was reading a magazine. Hitomi wanted to look at him, but she managed to keep her eyes on the road instead of on him. But make no mistake; it was hard.
 
She was trying to think of things calmly and rationally as they drove. So, they were going on their holiday after all. Eries and Aunt Flo were stunned when Van told them that was what he planned to do as soon as things settled down a little. He was going to go on a vacation with Hitomi for the rest of the time he had before he had to show up at The Voltage Room. He assured them that they would be able to contact him on his cell phone regarding his insurance and the fire that had burned down his home. Hitomi thought she saw his Aunt take him aside to talk to him about the sensibility of running around with Hitomi. Van shrugged her off and told her quite frankly that he knew what he was doing, and everything would be fine.
 
Eries looked like something was brewing in her head regarding the two of them, but she didn't say anything to either of them. She seemed too ladylike to talk to either of them about the prudence of their running off together. Hitomi wondered if she suspected the two of them having a relationship after all, but Eries never said anything.
 
Hitomi hardly saw Van before it was time for them to leave. He had a lot to take care of with the Abaharaki temporarily disbanding, his house burning down, taking care of his injury, and arranging for their trip. She tried to help him, but he wouldn't let her, saying that he wanted to spoil her by giving her a chance to relax and figure out what she wanted out of their relationship.
 
She scoffed at this and said to him haughtily, “I thought we were through all this. You and me, we're in this together. I don't need any time!”
 
“Oh yes you do,” he said, trying to look older and wiser than her. “And really I'm not going to give you much. You'd better not waste these few days.”
 
Hitomi was a little miffed at his attitude, but decided not to sweat it. Some people work better with fewer cooks in the kitchen. She thought she'd just let him have his way. He might be able to accomplish more if she stayed out of it. Plus, she knew she'd have him all to herself when they went on their vacation.
 
It was a big secret that she had elemental abilities, so absolutely no one besides the two of them even knew where they were going. Van didn't want to risk half a dozen members of the Abaharaki spying on him. He left his cell phone number with Aunt Flo and told her not to call him unless it was an emergency. That was it. That was all they did before they left.
 
Now she sat in the driver's seat of his car, listening to a perfect blend of synth-pop and rock. She had a fruit smoothie in her cup holder, and occasionally Van would read her something interesting from the magazine he was reading. He was such good company!
 
They stopped once for lunch as it was only a four-hour drive. The place they were going wasn't so far away, but closer to the mountains than the city, in a nice woodsy area.
 
Finally, when everything was arranged and Van had picked up the keys, they pulled up to a little log cabin. Hitomi got out and helped Van out of the car and up the steps. The inside was dry walled and painted, so it looked just like every other house. There was a bathroom, Van told her, and she saw the fireplace and the neat little kitchen. Suddenly, she looked at Van and felt like they were playing house like a pair of children who didn't know any better.
 
Even though Hitomi had been mellow about going out to the middle of nowhere with only Van in theory, in practice it was overwhelming. When she saw him standing all alone in the empty living room explaining accommodations, Hitomi realized that they hadn't spent much time alone together recently. Suddenly, she was terrified that the cabin only had one bedroom. What would she do if that were the case? Eventually, Van led her into the back and showed her the master bedroom. He said there was another bedroom off to the side that he would be using.
 
“Oh,” she said, trying to sound like she wasn't relieved. Maybe he had been right about giving her time to think things over. It was an awful lot for a person to adjust to. After all she really hadn't had much experience with men, and had devoted the better part of her dating years to chasing Dilandau, who didn't care for her at all. This was all very new to her, and the butterflies in her stomach told her she wasn't coping as well as she would have liked.
 
Van looked at her curiously. “I'm not going to force myself on you Hitomi. You don't need to worry about that.”
 
“I know you wouldn't,” she said quietly. “You're not that kind of guy.”
 
“So, rest easy,” he said, taking her hands in his. “Lighten up. It's just like the way it was back at my house for those months that we lived under the same roof, and it's just like these couple weeks that we spent at my aunt's. Nothing has changed.”
 
“Okay,” she said. “Van, you've never …”
 
“Never what?”
 
“... Slept with anyone, have you?” she asked, nearly choking. However, even though she was uncomfortable, she thought it was important to know whether or not he had any experience with this sort of thing and thus … expectations. He said he wouldn't pressure her, and she believed him, but how much time was reasonable for him to wait for her? And … Eries said he was only a flirt. Hitomi couldn't help being a little worried that this was really just some elaborate scheme to get her into bed. It was like she was waking up at three o'clock in the morning with all these fears that seemed ridiculous in the daylight. So now she was alone with him looking at the curve of his jaw, whereas before she had been able to control herself. Back at Van's aunt's home there had always been the chance of discovery, so they had only flirted and kissed occasionally … but now they were alone.
 
“Almost did once,” he said casually. “She turned me down.”
 
“Really? Who?” she asked, trying to make it sound like whatever the answer was that it was normal.
 
“It was you Hitomi. You can't tell me you don't remember. It was only two weeks ago. You remember that night after I took you to the club, right?”
 
“Yeah,” Hitomi said, the evening coming into focus for her. “That's not exactly what I meant. I meant have you ever …”
 
“I know what you meant,” Van said, interrupting her. “And I think it's very mature of you to ask, considering everything, but I'll have to disappoint you and stall answering that question.”
 
“But we're …”
 
“I know what we are Hitomi. Believe me; I know exactly what we are. I didn't say I wouldn't answer. I will, just not this second, okay? We still need to haul in all our luggage and groceries, and get settled. I was also hoping that we could get started on why we came out here in the first place - I'm really excited to teach you everything I know Hitomi. I don't know a lot. There was no one to teach me, and I just had to figure things out on my own, but I want to share it with you. I've had to wait so long. And I had to wait until you realized you had the ability. That was such a long wait.”
 
“Well, let's get moving then,” Hitomi said, heading for the door.
 
Hitomi unloaded the luggage and groceries while Van started peeling potatoes for their dinner. He said that since she had to do all the grunt labour, he might as well do his share and make the meal.
 
He stood at the range cooking onions and potatoes while Hitomi sat on a stool near him reading one of the articles he had started in the car. When Hitomi reminded herself that he wasn't really going to pressure her to accelerate their relationship she felt comfortable enough to laugh over some of the things in the magazine, but nothing totally quieted the odd fluttering in her stomach. Not that it mattered what she told herself. She felt like something bad was going to happen, and that she had definitely made a mistake coming out here, even though she tried to brush off the feeling with her laughter. She didn't know what would make her feel better.
 
After the meal of potatoes, onions, and ham, she felt absolutely sick. Van asked her if she wanted to head outside for their first lesson, but Hitomi felt like if she took his hand she'd die. Her stomach was so bent out of shape; she was worried she might throw up.
 
“Come on,” he said lightly. “There's plenty of light left. The sun won't set until eleven.”
 
“I don't feel very well Van,” she said, finally answering him, and holding her head in her hands. “Would you mind if I drove into town and got myself some Pepto-Bismol at the pharmacy? I bet they're still open.”
 
“Of course not,” he said, genuine concern filling his eyes. “I'd drive you if I could, but … Can I come with you then?”
 
“I don't want you to be tired,” she said, getting his car keys and heading for the door. “I won't be gone very long anyway. Do you want me to get you anything while I'm out?”
 
“No,” he said, hobbling with her to the door. “Hitomi, are you sure you're all right to go by yourself?”
 
“I'm perfectly fine,” she said, pausing at the door. “I'll be right back, okay?”
 
As Hitomi drove away she saw Van sitting in the front window watching her pull out. What must he think of her? Getting an upset stomach, and over what?
 
When she got back, it was almost nine o'clock. She'd been longer than she thought, but she stood in front of the snacks for almost a half an hour wondering if she ought to pick up something for Van anyway. Then there had been a lineup at the teller, and after that she had simply driven around the little town in laps, trying to figure out why she felt so sick. She hadn't been able to understand it.
 
When she finally went in, she found Van lying on the couch with his eyes closed. “I wondered if you were coming back.” Hitomi couldn't figure out if his tone was joking or cynical.
 
“I'm sorry I took so long,” she said uneasily. “I brought you something,” she handed him a giant Toblerone chocolate bar and meddled uneasily with the keys in her hands.
 
“You want to tell me what's going on?” he asked, setting her present on the floor.
 
“Nothing,” she lied. Yet, she didn't feel like she was lying. Hitomi hadn't been able to identify what was bothering her. Did she doubt him or herself, or something else all together?
 
“You're a very sweet girl Hitomi, and lying doesn't come to you easily. Are you that uncomfortable staying here with me?”
 
“I'm a little uncomfortable,” she admitted, “But I don't think it's you.”
 
“Hitomi,” he said seriously to her with his sherry-brown eyes glinting. “Don't think I expect you to adjust to this that quickly. You're seventeen years old. How could you possibly find yourself alone in a cabin with a strange man easy to accept?”
 
“You are NOT a strange man,” she quickly defended him.
 
“Whatever. The point still stands that you're acting like you're afraid of me. I really don't want to make you feel that way, but if you do, we can go back to Aunt Flo's tonight if you want to.”
 
“No! Van, I don't want that!” she said urgently.
 
“Is it because of my leg? Do I seem a lot less like Prince Charming because of it?”
 
“No,” she said miserably, sitting down beside him.
 
“Is there anything I can do to make you more comfortable?” he persisted.
 
“No, Van. I can tell that you're doing everything to try to make me feel better. I can't explain what the problem is. I feel sick. I feel like something terrible is going to happen.”
 
He looked at her carefully. “I don't repulse you?”
 
Hitomi examined him from where she was sitting. How could she possibly have given him the idea that she might have felt that way? He was beautiful. More beautiful than anything else she'd ever seen. His hair was falling in long stands into his eyes and he'd propped himself up on both his elbows to look at her more carefully. And even without the pull of his dark good looks, there was something about the way he was looking at her, something about the way he obviously cared for her that drew her to him. He was very attractive to her then, too attractive … so attractive that she thought she was going to lose her head completely and do something stupid.
 
That was it! That was why she was freaking out. She hadn't imagined that she could feel so intensely for someone else. She had never felt this way about Dilandau, and her lack of experience was scaring her to death. That wasn't the only thing either, she knew. Van wanted her back. It was easy to tell that his feelings were as strong as hers - maybe stronger. He was keeping himself under tight control, and it was harder for him than it had been, because now he knew how she felt.
 
“It's just …” Hitomi started out slowly, trying to think of a way to describe what she was just figuring out. “I'm in love with you.”
 
He smiled, and the tortured expression disappeared. Instead he looked stunned. “Are you sure? I don't want to push you.”
 
“Because I'm young and you're still not a cradle robber?” she asked casually. She paused for just a second and then pursued their serious discussion. “I never told you exactly how I was feeling.”
 
“I know.”
 
“I didn't even know how to say it. I'm sorry I couldn't be more forthcoming. Thanks for taking things slowly, but … I want to kiss you,” she said. She was trying to convince herself that if she kissed him, it would calm her shaking nerves. Their lips weren't far apart; she wouldn't have to go far.
 
“Hitomi,” he said quietly.
 
“Yeah,” she said wetting her lower lip.
 
“As much as I'd love to kiss you right now, and keep on kissing you until dawn, I'm not going to.”
 
“Why?” she asked, suddenly leaning back, widening the distance between them.
 
“You're going to be mad at me, but I don't think you're ready for that yet.” He waited to hear her reaction.
 
She stared, but somewhere deep in her heart, she felt relieved.
 
“Now's not a good time,” he said, looking away from her. “And it's not because I think you're a child.”
 
“Then why don't you think I'm ready?” she asked, not upset, but confused, and very interested in what he had to say.
 
“Well, I'm not risking any `close calls'.”
 
“What do you mean by that?”
 
He sighed heavily. “Okay Hitomi, I'm going to be really honest with you and then I'm going to throw you out the door.”
 
“Throw me out the door?”
 
“The sun's setting, and the moon is already out. You can see it clearly over the southwestern ridge. While you were gone, I made up a backpack for you. The only thing that's missing from it is a Popsicle. Do you think you could eat a Popsicle?”
 
She felt her stomach with her hand. It felt perfectly fine now for some reason, but she didn't want to admit that she was better once the pressure was off. It sounded too childish to her. “I don't suppose it would do any harm,” she said.
 
“Good.” He got up from the couch and got her a blue one from the freezer. Then he walked over to the front door and lifted a beige backpack off the ground and put it on her shoulders. “Listen up,” he said to her while he unwrapped her Popsicle for her. “In that pack is everything you need to have a good experience out here. Go out the door and walk wherever you feel like going. When you come to a good spot, open the backpack and use the stuff inside. There's a bottle of water in there too. Listen to your heart, the crickets, the sound of the wind, and the voice of your spirit. Think about me and what you want. Think about your ability and what you think you can do with it. When you've figured out the answers to those two questions, come back. This is a journey of self-discovery, and hopefully it will help you clear your mind and figure out a course to follow. You're looking at me funny,” he observed.
 
“I didn't mean to,” she said, still giving him her cutest puzzled expression. “I just didn't picture you suggesting this sort of thing, or talking to me like this.”
 
“Well, I've still got some tricks up my sleeve, I assure you,” Van said confidently. “Do you feel up to it?”
 
She nodded, wondering wildly what he had put in the backpack.
 
“I'll leave the lights to the cabin on for you,” he said, opening the front door. “Don't get lost.”
 
“Like I would,” she scoffed.
 
“No seriously, don't get lost. There's a cell phone in there for you to call me on if you do get lost, but don't get lost in the first place. If I'm in bed by the time you come back, don't come in my bedroom, but just bang on the door until I answer you, okay? I want to know that you made it back here safely.”
 
“Why shouldn't I come in?” she asked. They had always gone into each other's bedrooms when they needed to.
 
“Because,” he said getting wicked gleams in his eyes with sparks like a falling star. “If you come in, I won't let you leave again.”
 
With that he scooted her out the door and shut it behind her.
 
Hitomi stood on the front porch. Her cheeks were blazing. Why had he said that?
 
Even so, she stepped into the grass and decided to head in the direction of the moon. He said southwest. There it was hanging pale in the light gold evening sky. She put the Popsicle in her mouth and started walking. Even though the sun was no longer at it's peak, it was still hot out and the cold blue flavoured ice felt great after she had been walking a minute.
 
Hitomi soon found herself walking on a lonely country road, with little buttercups and cattails blooming in the irrigation ditches. Half of this place was forest and the other half was plains, but still in the distance were the majestic mountain ridges Van had told her about.
 
She thought about the city and the places downtown that she used to frequent. This was so different. No wonder she hadn't been able to discover her abilities in that place. There was no room to commune with nature, and communing with nature was a new thing to Hitomi, who was definitely city-reared. Her parents didn't even live in a house; they lived in a condo. Hitomi didn't think her parents had ever thought it was even necessary for her and Marlene to have a yard to play in.
 
But even as she was falling in love with the moon rising, she saw that this nature thing wasn't all it was made out to be. She tried to pick a cattail, but didn't realize that the tall grasses hid that they were growing out of pools of water. When she tried to break the stem, which turned out to be surprisingly tough, she slipped and soaked her entire left foot in the water. She ended up getting the cattail, but she left a single footprint on the gravel for several steps. The buttercups were easier to get.
 
Hitomi tried walking in the trees, but there were too many bugs there, so she went back to the road. At least if she was on the road, she was certain she wasn't trespassing.
 
When she came to a crossroads, she thought she needed a drink - the Popsicle meeting its demise ages ago. There were drainage pipes here, covered with heavy planks of wood. She went up to one expecting it to smell rank, but it looked like a good place to sit, and she had already tried to sit on the grass - without success. It was too pokey. But the pipe smelled fine and she realized what it was used for and had a seat. It offered a nice view as it was like an elevated dock on the sea of grass and fences.
 
Besides, her curiosity was eating her alive as to what Van had packed in the backpack for her. There was the water and the cell phone, just like he said. There was also a blanket, she supposed for her to sit on. Binoculars, tea lights, a lighter, a couple granola bars, sunglasses, a book of poetry, bug spray, a watch, and an envelope marked that she shouldn't read it until after midnight. It was Van's handwriting.
 
After midnight?
 
She smiled. It was her birthday the next day. He hadn't forgotten about it. How sweet of him!
 
With that she decided that she was in as good a place as any. She hadn't seen a single car or truck drive by since she had come out, so she thought she was safe to hang out here until she had done what Van asked her to do. She spread the blanket out over the wooden planks, took her shoes and socks off and laid down on it.
 
The clouds were drifting overhead in pinks and oranges against the navy blue sky. Night was coming and it was beautiful.
 
Van asked her to think about him and what she wanted. He wanted her to be certain about them she supposed. If she swore up and down that she knew what she was doing, he could hardly be blamed for taking her at her word, but was that what he wanted? Was that what he was trying to get from her? Was he trying to get the absolute assurance that an affair between them would be all right by her, and thus acceptable?
 
She wasn't sure if that was the case. What did she want?
 
It was easier than she expected for her to see the answer for that question. It was right in front of her as the wind blew against her bare legs and in her ears. She wanted commitment. She wanted him to blow Eries totally out of the water with all her doubts about Van's character, and prove that Hitomi was the only one for him. Yet … how could he do that if he kept their relationship a secret, and that seemed to be what he wanted.
 
The sun was falling further now. It was almost at the ridge.
 
It must be later than she thought. She looked at the watch Van had packed for her. It was after ten. Not too much longer to wait until midnight.
 
She took out the binoculars and looked at the moon. It was pretty big, and the white face was shining at her with exquisite brightness. Her symbol, huh? She was very lucky. The moon was a lovely symbol.
 
And Van was The Dragon.
 
Hitomi wondered for the first time how they would cope together if they didn't want the same things. It had never occurred to her before that a relationship might be more complicated than attraction and kindness. `Well', she thought haughtily, “if he wants me to be his secret mistress, then he's got another thing coming.'
 
That was the moment she realized what he meant when he told her she was too young for him, but it seemed to her that he had left those concerns behind. He must want her badly enough for it not to matter to him whether she could handle something more mature or not. This thought pleased her, and so did the thought that he was giving her this time now to adjust.
 
But what happened if she went back and they couldn't agree on how to proceed? That was the real reason he said that it wasn't a good time for them to kiss. Hitomi knew that now.
 
She looked at the watch - eleven.
 
It wasn't cold out, but she was starting to get hungry, so she ate one of the granola bars. It was strawberry and dipped in yogurt. He was really nice remembering that she liked strawberries! She hoped desperately that they would be able to come to a compromise.
 
It was dark now, and Hitomi looked up at the moon. She had to use some of this time to answer the other question he had asked her. What about her abilities?
 
This time to commune with nature was a good start. She took her protection gem off and looked at it. It was blushing crimson in colour, which Hitomi thought confusing since it was meant for her. Shouldn't it be white then to correspond with her talents, but then Van had made it. So, maybe it was fiery like him.
 
Hitomi looped it around her fingers and played with it in the dim light. There were some lights from the town in the distance. Not enough to be distracting, but enough to remind her that she wasn't alone.
 
She looked at her watch. Only ten minutes had passed! This last hour was going to be murder!
 
She ended up lighting one of the tea lights and reading the book of poetry Van had given her. Hitomi didn't think that Van was the sort of guy who read poetry. As she read it though, she started to think that maybe he hadn't read it. It didn't seem like the kind of thing a guy would read at all. There were long narrations about the skies and the seas and the passion of human hearts. The book its self was more interesting than any of the content. She flipped open the book and noticed that on the front leaf were the words written in what seemed like ancient script, but ball-point pen nonetheless, “To my love”.
 
Hitomi ate the other granola bar and looked at her watch. Fifteen minutes to go. Ten minutes to go. Five minutes to go.
 
Midnight!
 
She ripped open the envelope and read the letter by the light of the candle.
 
Dear Hitomi,
 
I wanted to kiss you at midnight on your birthday; to celebrate what I hope will be the second-best day of your life. It's hard for me that I can't be with you, so I'd like you to do something for me. Will you do it?
 
I'd like you to lie down on your back on that blanket, close your eyes, and imagine that I'm there with you. Picture me beside you and envision that I'm whispering to you exactly what you would want me to say. Imagine that I'm touching your windblown hair with my fingertips and confessing the greatest love you can dream of.
 
I always want to tell you how I feel, but my words always seem wrong, like they are somehow inadequate. I feel so much more than I can express. I bought this book for you hoping that someone else, better at description, could make you understand the reaction I have when I'm near you. It all pales. They describe other women, but not you. They never loved you. They never saw your beauty, grace, or courage. Only I see that.
 
And I'm helpless to tell you what I see.
 
Happy birthday! I hope I can do a good job making it the second-best day of your life.
 
Hopelessly tongue-tied,
Van
 
Hitomi lay down on her back and thought about what he had written. He wasn't going to take `no' for an answer … if she'd wanted to say `no'. She didn't.
 
She put the binoculars up to her eyes and looked up at the moon again dreamily. How was she going to sleep that night?