Vision Of Escaflowne Fan Fiction ❯ Mystic Wings ❯ Chain Reactions ( Chapter 7 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter Seven
Chain Reactions
 
Mother's Reaction Part I
 
Hitomi's mother seemed to be far more understanding of her absence than Hitomi had even cared to dream. Her father made it sound like her mother had been suffering unspeakable torment at the absence of her daughter, but her mother seemed to understand. Hitomi didn't know how much her mother knew about her gift, and her ability to use ice, or Hitomi's aunt who she had inherited the ability from. However, it was obvious that her mother knew something.
 
“Oh, leave her alone, Honey,” her mother implored her father when everything had been said at home. “Akira was always doing crazy things like this too. It's in Hitomi's blood to be a little wild.”
 
“Now is not the time to bring up your sister, Dear. I really don't see what she has to do with it, and nor do I think it's appropriate to let Hitomi think that this kind of behaviour is all right.”
 
“But Hitomi doesn't act like this all the time. This was really just an isolated incident. Granted, it was a very serious one, but …”
 
“I'm not letting up,” he said, not angry any more now that he had his dear wife to pacify him. “But Hitomi made me some promises while we were driving home, and I expect her to keep them.”
 
“Of course,” her mother assented, and then managed to give Hitomi another glance that indicated that her mother at least understood the heart of what happened rather than the details.
 
Marlene's Reaction Part I
 
When Hitomi went into her new bedroom, she saw that Marlene had not gotten totally comfortable in the space yet. There were boxes of Hitomi's things piled up beside her bed, and there were no posters up on the walls yet.
 
“Did you miss me, Little Sis?” Hitomi asked, trying to resume their past relationship, but feeling that it was going to be difficult under the circumstances.
 
Marlene lay on her bed, her mountains of blonde hair surrounding her and seeming to smother her. “What happened to you Hitomi?” she asked, with questing eyes. “What happened to you while you were away? You're different.”
 
Hitomi was about as likely to tell Marlene anything serious as to turn the room into an ice palace for her sister's amusement. Instead, she looked around the room with more interest. “So, there's just the one closet, eh? Looks like I'm going to have to throw out a bunch of stuff if we're going to fit into this little room together. Well, we've still got two more weeks until school starts, so I guess I have time to start pitching things.” Hitomi wanted to be alone just now, and it was brutal that she was going to be cooped up with her sister, but it couldn't be helped. Besides, she didn't want her sister to know that she was a mess, and she didn't want to need Marlene's reassurance, so she needed to feign cheerfulness. “It's nice to be home,” she lied, thinking about what a rip off it was that she had to share a room with her sister instead of with her husband. Hitomi suddenly bit her lip and turned her back on Marlene. She was going to come unglued.
 
“Dad took me to our new school last week. It looks really nice. We have to wear uniforms …”
 
“Do we? That should be interesting,” Hitomi said, cutting her sister off abruptly and without realizing it. She turned away from Marlene and seized one of her bags and opened it with gusto. She had to do something with her hands in order to stop herself from cracking.
 
The first thing she pulled out was her wedding dress.
 
“Wow!” Marlene exclaimed, getting up to get a better look at it. “You bought that? And you didn't make it sound like you had any fun.”
 
“You call this fun?” Hitomi commented, clearing a part in the closet for her clothes. “This is the middle, so this is my half, okay?” Hitomi said, changing the subject. She couldn't talk to Marlene about how special that dress was to her.
 
“No really. What are you doing with a dress like that?”
 
“It was a present, okay? I just didn't get much of a chance to wear it. I hope I get another chance before it's hopelessly out of fashion,” she said, withdrawing from her sister intentionally. She headed back for her bag.
 
All of Hitomi's clothes were pretty much brand new. She'd ruined some things in her travels with Van around Lake Astral, but most of it had hardly been worn. She pulled out Van's boxer shorts and found she could contain herself no longer. Where was he right now? And what was happening? She wanted to get on the phone and call Eries to find out what happened. Was Van able to bring the boys home? Did he come back at all? But she couldn't, she'd promised her father that she wouldn't have anything to do with the Abaharaki from now on.
 
“What's wrong Hitomi?” Marlene asked quickly when she saw the distraught expression on Hitomi's face.
 
“I'm just very worried about a dear friend of mine,” Hitomi said, pulling her khaki shorts right off in order to put Van's boxers on. They had been folded funny and had lots of creases in them. “Marlene,” Hitomi said quietly. “I'm really happy to see you, but I really need to be alone right now. If you don't mind, I'd just like to be alone.”
 
“But Hitomi …” Marlene said, looking concerned and interested.
 
Hitomi went over to Marlene and put her hand on her shoulder. “Would it be all right if I was alone for a few minutes?”
 
Marlene assented and left the room, although, if Hitomi had noticed, she would have seen resentment on Marlene's face for being brushed aside so completely when Hitomi had only just gotten there.
 
Hitomi's Reaction Part I
 
Only when Marlene had shut the door behind her did Hitomi feel safe enough to throw herself down onto her old bed and cry as much as she wanted to.
 
It was a relief to cry, but at the same time pointless and frustrating. Soon Hitomi was brushing off her tears and searching her bags fervently for the cell phone Van had given her. After searching her bags thoroughly, it was clear that it was not there, but she found a large envelope and sat down cross-legged on the bed to open it. It was not something that had been with her original possessions.
 
Van's Reaction
 
She opened it and pulled the contents out, spreading it out so she could see everything. There was their wedding certificate, a credit card, the framed picture of herself and Millerna, accompanied by a letter from Van's bank, and a letter from Van himself. It read:
 
Dear Hitomi,
 
I know you're probably livid with me if you're reading this. I wish I had a better explanation than the one I have. So, instead, I'm going to tell you what to do, and hope wildly that you'll understand my reasons enough to stay smart. And I know you're smart, Hitomi.
 
I asked Aunt Flo to send you home. I want you to finish high school. Not only that, but I really believe in my heart that this is the best course though it tears me in half to be separated from you. I don't think I have much choice about that right now.
 
You're my wife and I've left you with access to all our finances, hence the credit card. Besides, I thought I ought to get you one of your own before my wallet had a perpetual bare spot. Aunt Flo is in charge of the sale of my property in the city. She doesn't know that we're married. I haven't told her. I've kept that end of our bargain. I've told her what conditions have to be met for me to approve of a sale, so that's one less thing for you to worry about.
 
I'd also like you to open a safety deposit box at a bank to house our marriage certificate, and anything else that is special to us. It would be terrible if someone found us out because of carelessness, so please do this as soon as possible.
 
I'm not sure how things are going to go tonight, but if my car isn't wrecked then you're free to take it and use it if you want it. You can pick it up as soon as tomorrow. I've told Auntie that I'm giving it to you if I don't come back. I doubt very much that Folken will let me leave tonight. Sorry I couldn't tell you when we were alone what he wants from me, and even now, I can't write it to you. Please trust me. I'll come back.
 
I'm deeply sorry, but this is the best I can do for you right now. Gaddes is here now and I have to go. I know I'm probably forgetting to tell you all kinds of things, but I can't think straight today.
 
Things are going to be funny between us for the next little while. Try to bear it the best you can. This is what I meant by `hard days' when I asked you to marry me. Always do what you think is best, paddle in the direction you want to go, and I'll try my best to be near you as soon as I can.
 
I love you.
 
Van.
 
P.S. When I broke into your parents' apartment I burnt a hole through your front door. I wasn't expecting your father to catch me. In any case, I told him I'd pay him back for the damages. Will you take care of this for me, Hitomi?
 
The Family's Reaction
 
In the morning, Hitomi sat at the breakfast table with her parents and Marlene. Oddly enough, it was more comfortable here than it had been with Aunt Flo and Eries. This was a lot more comfortable. Hitomi leaned back in her chair and drank a mug of milk like that morning was the most relaxed day of the year.
 
She had cried herself to sleep the night before, but somehow in her sleep she had a very strong impression that Van was okay and he wanted her to chill out. She had woken up in the morning feeling mellow and calm. Van promised he would be back as soon as he could and she believed him. No more cursing him in her head, she promised herself. He was just trying to do the best he could with what he had, and she had to respect that. He hadn't been angry with her for promising that he would go to The Voltage Room. In fact, he had never even mentioned it to her. She would believe in his love for her and trust his abilities. All she had to do was get through these next four and a half months of school unscathed.
 
She could do it. Hitomi was a powerhouse.
 
She leaned across the table to pick up the milk jug to pour herself another glass when Marlene was suddenly startled and nearly jumped in her seat.
 
“What?” Hitomi asked.
 
“What's on your arm?” Marlene exclaimed.
 
Hitomi had been wearing a T-shirt. The sleeve hit her mid upper arm, so the dragon's tail slid down her arm and was visible. She unintentionally covered her arm with her other hand and rolled her eyes. She hadn't even thought about her parents' reaction to her having a tattoo.
 
“What is it Hitomi?” her father persisted.
 
She realized again that her relationship with her father was clearly in the toilet and uncovered her arm to show her tattoo. There was no point hiding what couldn't be hid anyway. The dragon curled its claw around the moon and sat on its haunches as always. The tail dripped downwards as it always would, as well. Her dad was never going to get over this.
 
“When did you have that done?” he questioned icily.
 
“About two months ago,” Hitomi admitted, pulling her shirt down and resuming eating.
 
“Ah,” her mother said, not looking disturbed at all. “Your Aunt Akira had a tattoo as well.”
 
“Really?” Hitomi burst, almost rising to her feet. She had forgotten to ask her mother if she knew about her aunt's ability. Did she know what her symbol was? What were her elements? “What was Aunt Akira's tattoo of?”
 
Her mother shook her head in sort of a dreamy way. “I'm sorry, Dear. I never saw it. I only knew she had it done because I met her one day after she was having it touched up. I accidentally bumped her, and she winced. Of course, I was concerned that I had really hurt her, but she said that it was nothing and explained that she had a tattoo.”
 
“But she didn't let you see it?”
 
“No. It was on her hip, you see, and we were in public. Besides, she was always quite secretive. It's not really the kind of thing she would have confided in me. She always had her own world, and …”
 
“Why does every conversation turn towards Akira lately? Hitomi, what possessed you to get a tattoo?” her father demanded.
 
“Does it really bother you, dad?”
 
“It's massive. Your school uniform isn't going to cover that up. I'll bet that school has rules about these things. I should call the school,” he said, sounding very troubled.
 
“That's fine. I can go to public school, instead. I'm only there for one more semester anyway, so it's okay, but call the school if it makes you feel better,” Hitomi said, trying desperately not to be on the defensive. If she was difficult, then her father would be even more worried about her and their relationship would get worse.
 
“You're going to private school,” he retorted sternly. “There is no way I'm taking the chance of something else happening to my … I'm going to go call the school.” He left the table in a huff.
 
“So,” Hitomi said leaning forward. “Mom, tell me about Aunt Akira. I never knew her very well. I'd love to learn more about her.”
 
“Sorry Hitomi,” her mother said pensively. “I don't think anyone knew her very well. She was a very solitary creature. She didn't make friends easily, and she didn't confide in me much, even though we were sisters. I wish I could explain better. She really wasn't like any other person I have ever met. My mother used to say that she was like my great uncle, but I never knew him.”
 
“Aw. Too bad grandma isn't alive or I'd like to ask her some questions too,” Hitomi said.
 
“Would you?” her mother said with a secret smile. “Hitomi, have you stumbled over the family secret.”
 
“And what family secret would that be?” Hitomi asked evasively.
 
“Our family has a secret?” Marlene interrupted.
 
Her mother suddenly frowned and looked at Hitomi more carefully. “So, you're not going to tell me either?”
 
“There's nothing to tell,” Hitomi said, rising from the table. She didn't want Marlene to hear their conversation, but Hitomi was going to talk to her mother about this as soon as possible. Marlene was not to be involved. Van lied about Folken, but she was certain Marlene would have been involved in this sooner if she had the same abilities. Dilandau would have come after her or something. Hitomi just needed to be alone with her mother.
 
Hitomi's father suddenly came back into the dining room and told Hitomi that the school didn't have any rules about tattoos, but that she had better do her best to cover it up, so that she'd fit in with the other kids. Apparently, she could have uniforms with long sleeves.
 
“Oh goodie,” Hitomi thought coarsely, and turned to head towards her bedroom. There was still a lot of work that needed to be done in there.
 
“Oh, and Hitomi,” her father continued.
 
“Yeah?”
 
“You have to go to a uniform fitting tomorrow afternoon.”
 
She winced. This was going to be brutal. “Okay, where is it? If I'm gonna take the bus then I'd better be prepared.”
 
“I'm not letting you take the bus. You're taking the car and Marlene.”
 
“Hasn't Marlene already had her fitting?”
 
“Yes,” her dad said.
 
“You're sending her with me as my babysitter?” Hitomi asked, totally stunned.
 
He didn't answer, but the expression on his face indicated that that was the case. She thought about being outraged, but she had made a ludicrous promise that she would do everything he asked her to do without comment or attitude.
 
“All right,” Hitomi said, not allowing herself to be defeated. She only had to do this for five and a half months and then she was out of here. “We'll have fun. We'll get ice cream, too.”
 
“Are you making fun of me, Young Lady?” her dad asked darkly. This wasn't his personality. He was worried sick and this was the only way he knew how to deal.
 
Hitomi recognized this and tried her best not to step on his toes. “No, I'm trying to have a positive attitude. That was part of our agreement, and I really will put up with anything to earn your trust again.”
 
He hugged her and let her go to her room
 
Marlene's Reaction Part II
 
The next day Hitomi took Marlene to the fitting. There were a couple of other girls from their new school who came in just after them to be measured as well. It was at this moment that it hit Hitomi that she was going to be lumped in with the kids a grade younger than her. Everyone her age graduated last year.
 
Urgh! It was going to be a chant in her head. Five and a half more months, five and a half more months …
 
After that, Hitomi was trying to think that she could have a future with Van. She didn't know how things had worked out, but she had to believe that things were all right. If she didn't believe in him, then she couldn't accomplish anything and she would be paralyzed with worry for Van.
 
After the fitting, she took her sister to the bank - Van's bank.
 
“What are we doing here?” Marlene asked skeptically.
 
“I have an account here,” Hitomi told her.
 
“But you never used to have an account here, did you?”
 
“No. Do you want to come in with me, or do you want to wait in the car?” Hitomi really didn't care what the answer to this question was. No matter what her sister said, she wasn't going to let her anywhere near her discussion with the teller.
 
Marlene came in with her.
 
Hitomi stood at the counter and filled out the necessary papers, and a safety deposit box was assigned to her. In went the marriage certificate, the notes Van had written her, the pictures they took of each other with a disposable camera; she dropped her wedding ring in with reservations, and thought about the necklace at her throat. No, she'd keep that. Van would want her to wear it.
 
She also withdrew a thousand dollars. She didn't know how much the door cost, but she thought she'd better have enough cash to pay for it. A thousand would be enough, wouldn't it?
 
When she came back, Marlene was looking bored and frustrated sitting in a blue padded chair by the door. Hitomi promptly abandoned the idea of taking her out to Aunt Flo's to find out what happened with Van. She had been thinking about it, but she saw immediately that it wasn't a good move. She didn't like to involve Marlene, especially since it involved breaking her promise to her father, and even so, it didn't look like Marlene would be able to handle much more.
 
“Ice cream?” Hitomi asked her sister when they were back in the car.
 
“No. Hitomi, I'm not a kid anymore. I'm in high school now. I even have a boyfriend, who I'm actually meeting later today, so could we just go home? Are you really this enthusiastic about hanging out with me? You never were before,” Marlene said, adjusting a massive ring on her finger. When had she got that?
 
“I'll take you home. I just wanted to make this a little fun, since it's obviously not, but I want us to be friends.”
 
“I repeat that you never wanted that before.”
 
“I just don't want us to turn out like mom and Aunt Akira,” she said, thinking of how little it seemed Akira had invited her mother into her world. Hitomi didn't want that with Marlene.
 
“What's your thing with Aunt Akira so suddenly? You were never close.”
 
“I'm just like her,” Hitomi said.
 
“No you're not! That's crazy. She wasn't like anyone. Our whole family thought she was nuts. Don't you remember?”
 
“I never thought of her that way. I was really sorry when she died.”
 
“Can you only drive forty? The speed limit is fifty here. Get on with it. You think I want to be crammed in here in this heat. It's over thirty-five degrees outside. Just get on with it. I'm roasting.” Marlene flicked on the air conditioning and turned decidedly to stare out the window.
 
Hitomi sighed. So, hanging out with Marlene wasn't going to be any fun. It looked to Hitomi like no one was going to enjoy this babysitting job.
 
Hitomi's Reaction Part II
 
Hitomi didn't get a look at Marlene's date when he came to pick her up. She was in the living room trying to find the family's photo albums, in specific the ones that had her mother's old pictures in them when he showed up. Besides, Marlene didn't seem inclined to introduce them.
 
Hitomi still hadn't got the opportunity to speak to her mother in private about Aunt Akira. Now that Marlene had left, Hitomi was alone in the apartment, and she had not been given permission to go anywhere (yet another infringement on her freedom). Now she had to have permission if she wanted to go somewhere. Both her parents were at work and wouldn't be back until later. So, she searched her parents' things looking for her mother's pictures.
 
At last, she found the one she was looking for; the collection of her mother's family pictures. There was Akira, with her tawny hair and green eyes. Hitomi flipped through the pictures of her. She never looked at the camera, but always seemed to be looking in a different direction. She'd be looking at the ground or the ceiling or off to the side. Hitomi tried to connect her expression to the reality of their elemental gifts, but she couldn't do it. She'd have to speak to her mother.
 
Father's Reaction
 
Surprisingly, her parents came home together, bringing cartons of Chinese food with them. Her mother asked where Marlene was, and Hitomi was about to answer that Marlene had gone on a date, when Marlene came in the front door.
 
“Where have you been, Sweetheart?” her mother asked her youngest daughter when she came in.
 
“Oh, I just ran down to the store. I wanted to get this,” she said, holding up a teenager magazine named Girl Spirit.
 
So, Marlene was still reading that garbage. Well, Hitomi knew it wasn't up to her to influence nonsense out of her sister's head, but more importantly - Marlene had lied to her mother about where she'd been. Hitomi had heard the boy's voice in the entryway. A guy had definitely come to pick her up. Hitomi guessed that Marlene was smart enough to keep her parents out of her life. Their dad was probably pretty tough on Marlene now, so she had to live under the wire if she wanted to do anything normal. Well, it was Hitomi's fault that their dad had suddenly become so strict. She vowed that she wouldn't be a tattletale, but she was going to keep her eye on Marlene, just in case. She probably wasn't into anything dangerous, but it was still better to watch out.
 
When they sat down to eat, her father explained that he expected Hitomi to pick up the slack as far as cooking went until school started, since she would have plenty of time to prepare meals. Hitomi agreed easily. There was nothing to cooking. She had been cooking for Van, Chid and Miguel. She winked at her dad and told him she was a great cook.
 
“Oh, and dad, I forgot to ask you. Van told me that he wrecked the door to our old apartment and that he promised to pay for the damages. How much was it?”
 
“Twelve hundred, or somewhere in that neighbourhood,” her dad said vaguely, “but I …”
 
Hitomi reached into her pocket and pulled out the thousand she had withdrawn from the bank. It was in hundreds. “Sorry, Dad,” she said setting it down on the table. “I'll get you the other two hundred when I have a chance. This is all I've got on me right now.”
 
All three of them stared at her.
 
“Hitomi!” her father growled. “Where did you get this money?”
 
“Van said he'd pay you back,” she answered simply. “He's paying you back.”
 
“I thought you weren't going to have anything to do with that boy anymore?”
 
Hitomi didn't understand. “Dad, this is quite a bit of money. You had to pay for the door Van busted, didn't you? Don't you want the money? I'm giving it to you!”
 
“Answer me, Young Lady! Have you seen or spoken to Van?” her father shouted at her.
 
Hitomi paused. She was starting to get angry. Her father was totally attacking her without cause. “I haven't seen or spoken to Van. He left me a note in my bag, and told me to pay you back for him. I've done it.”
 
“He left you a thousand dollars in your bag?” he questioned with a puzzled expression. “I want to see this note.” He threw his napkin down and rose from the table.
 
Hitomi winced. It was in the safe deposit box along with everything else Van had given her, excluding the necklace around her neck and the tattoo on her arm. “I don't have it,” she said mournfully.
 
“You don't have it?” he repeated in disbelief.
 
“Yeah. I don't have it,” she admitted, trying not to let herself lose control, and she was getting close. An argument like this might cause her to let go of her power accidentally. If things got much worse she would have to leave the table. “Dad, I don't understand. He said he'd pay you back, and he's doing it. I'll get the other two hundred when I can. Can't we just let this go?”
 
“Hitomi …” her father said, turning red, and looking disappointed and displeased. “I don't know what to do with you. Do you really want to kill your old man, because you're working hard on it? Besides, you obviously like this kid a lot.”
 
“Van is not a kid.”
 
“He's nineteen, that's a kid.”
 
Hitomi stared. Van told her father he was nineteen? Oh crap. Was he purposefully trying to ruin things with her dad? Oh well, she'd have to let it slide. Besides, her father was still speaking.
 
“What kind of future do you see with a guy who breaks into your parents' home? What, do you think he'll marry you? How do you expect to live? It's like you're not thinking seriously about how you're going to live the rest of your life.”
 
“Dad,” Hitomi started, thinking about what Van said about them living unconventionally. Hitomi realized very suddenly that her father was never going to understand her unless she told him everything, gave him a demonstration, and everything. She shook her head. She simply wasn't prepared to do that. She didn't know how he would react, and she wasn't sure telling him was the best thing. What would the consequences be? Now she knew why Van lied all the time and why he never gave away unnecessary information. It was also why some of the Abaharaki thought he was a phony and why he didn't bother to correct them. He just didn't want to involve people in his world, and he had taught her to be the same way. Well, she'd be that way with a vengeance. “I don't know why you're so hung up on Van. Let him go. He's a great guy. He's gone now, so please stop worrying. I'm just trying to square things off, so that he doesn't owe you anything. Okay? Do you think I want one of my friends to leave a debt of twelve hundred dollars to my parents unpaid? Not likely.”
 
“Then how do you plan to get the other two hundred?” he asked suspiciously.
 
Hitomi shrugged. “I'll contact him through his bank, of course. I won't be talking to him directly. Besides, rest easy dad; he's not available.”
 
Her father looked surprised by her answer. He had not expected an answer like that one. However, he still seemed unconvinced as he continued, “If I find out you're lying to me about that boy, Hitomi …”
 
“I'm not lying,” she fortified, and getting herself in deeper. “I'm staying away from the Abaharaki. I promised.”
 
Mother's Reaction Part II
 
Hitomi didn't get the opportunity to have that discussion with her mother for several days. There were a lot of things going on in their world and she couldn't seem to find a time to meet with her. One day her mother got home earlier than her father and Marlene, who was visiting `a friend' or something like that. When her mother came home unexpectedly, Hitomi practically grabbed her by the shoulders and hauled her into the living room.
 
“Where's Marlene?” her mom asked patiently kicking off her heels.
 
“She's at Katy's,” Hitomi said, feeding her mother the same obvious lie Marlene had given her, but Hitomi hadn't yet had the nerve to speak with Marlene frankly. Instead, she was concentrating on learning all she could about Akira. “Mom, we've got to talk. Please tell me everything about Aunt Akira. I have to know about her.”
 
Hitomi's mother sat down on the sofa and brought her pantyhose covered heels onto the cushions. “Let me see,” she started in a serene voice. “She was always very quiet. She didn't seem to want to talk to any of us; not her family and not any of the other children at school. When I got older I thought about her a lot and I actually wonder if someone was abusing her, because she was so withdrawn, but I can't think of who could be hurting her. If anything was happening, it must have started when she was very young, because I can't remember her ever being happy.”
 
“She was never happy?”
 
“She might have been depressed. I really don't know. When she was around sixteen or something, she suddenly got popular with boys.”
 
“The boys at school were interested in her?” Hitomi asked.
 
“No. It was one of the strangest things; boys from all over would come to date her. Some would even come from different countries. Maybe there weren't that many. I think there were six who were absolutely crazy about her, but she would never date any of them. That was the thing that was unusual,” Hitomi's mother continued, remembering. “The thing that was remarkable was that they wouldn't give up and find other girl friends or wives. They were persistent and wanted only her, but she didn't care about any of them.”
 
“Did she reject them?”
 
“Not exactly. They'd propose to her and she would answer vaguely by saying something like, `Not right now'. It was weird. Her ego didn't seem flattered by their attention, either. There was one that came later, after you were born who was younger than her. I met him once or twice and he seemed to love her more than the others. He seemed twice as devoted.”
 
“What was he like?”
 
“Sorry that I can't answer more specifically. It was like he recognized something special about her that no one else could see. He had lovely eyes, but that's about all I remember. It was some time ago, and he was really too young for her, but she treated him the same as the others.”
 
“And she never did get married?”
 
“No, she never did. It's strange. She was always so different than other people. It seems silly, but she seemed to walk around like she was in a dream and no one could wake her. Also, I didn't really know her very well. When she was about ten, my mother sent her to go live with her sister-in-law. My uncle Minami had died you see and his wife was very lonely. They never had any children. My mother said she thought it would improve Akira to live in the country.”
 
“Ah-ha,” Hitomi thought. That was where Akira got her power from - Uncle Minami. So when he died and she inherited his powers from him, grandma sent her to go live with his widow so that she could teach her what she knew about the ability. Before Uncle Minami died there was no way of telling whether Akira or Hitomi's mother was the one who had the ability. It was just like with her and Marlene.
 
However, there was one other thing that struck Hitomi as important at this moment - why did all these people who had gifts die so young? And why didn't any of them have any children? Balgus hadn't had any children, Uncle Minami didn't have any children, and neither did Aunt Akira. Did that mean that Hitomi and Van couldn't? Hitomi felt sick, but she continued with the conversation. Maybe it was just a coincidence.
 
“Did Aunt Akira come back even more withdrawn?” Hitomi asked out loud.
 
“No. I wouldn't say she was more withdrawn, but she used to seem to have delicate feelings before she went away. When she came back her eyes were clear and she wouldn't look away when you looked at her straight. Instead, it was like she just didn't care anymore.” Her mother stopped abruptly and asked, “Hitomi, care to tell me the family secret?”
 
Hitomi wanted to tell her mother what was in her heart, and what she had learned from Van, but she knew now that there was a lot missing from the education Van had given her. He had told her outright on the lake that his Uncle Balgus had not shared any of his knowledge with him, but might Van have been lying? Van had a tendency to lie, and Hitomi didn't want to tell her mother anything Van had told her in case it turned out not to be true. On the other hand, maybe Van honestly didn't know the truth, and it was too late to ask him. Instead, it was better to continue pumping her mother for information.
 
“Mom, did Aunt Akira ever do anything really strange? Something that couldn't be explained?”
 
Her mom laughed. “She did things that weren't explainable all the time. My father thought she was insane.”
 
“No, I mean, did she have any unusual affiliations with nature?” Hitomi continued.
 
“Affiliations?” Hitomi's mother repeated, looking at her with raised eyebrows. “I've never heard you use that word before. Who have you been hanging out with? Van was that boy I let into the apartment that one day, wasn't he? And the boy who came to the hospital to see you when Millerna was shot, wasn't he? Is that how he talks?”
 
Hitomi nodded. Maybe Van had changed her in more ways than she'd realized.
 
“Let me ask you one question; are you in love with him?”
 
Hitomi shifted in her seat, and pulled her knee up to her chest. “Don't tell anyone all right?”
 
“Your dad says he's in love with you, too. When is he going to pop up so we can all meet him properly?” she asked.
 
“Dad made me promise I wouldn't have anything to do with the Abaharaki,” Hitomi said evasively. “Doesn't he think everything that happened is Van's fault? Why are you encouraging me to see him when dad has asked me to cut my ties with him?”
 
Her mother looked at her bewitchingly, like she understood Hitomi's game. “I don't know. Maybe, because of how he looked those few times I met him, or maybe because of what your father said about him. He doesn't strike me as a bad person, and I have this feeling that if he were to come back, you'd be overjoyed.”
 
“You shouldn't encourage me mom … Besides, he's not coming back,” Hitomi said slowly.
 
“Did you two break up?”
 
“He was never my boyfriend,” Hitomi said, only brushing at the truth. She didn't want to lie, but she couldn't tell anyone the truth about her relationship. Her mother had been so understanding about everything that had happened, too. Hitomi longed to confide in her, because of her kindness, but it wasn't possible. So, she stuck to her story.
 
“Then why didn't you get together?” her mother questioned in a soft voice.
 
“The chance might never come,” Hitomi confessed, hoping desperately that she was lying. She wanted to see Van again. “Sorry Mom, I'm a little heartbroken about him. I didn't call you or come back when I had the chance two months ago because I wanted to be with him. I couldn't bear the idea of being away from him. Now he's gone and I might never see him again.”
 
“I know. It's okay, Sweetie. Your dad might be mad at you, but I'm not. Things seem so intense when you're young and after that thing with Millerna, of course you'd want to make the most of your life. Don't be sad living here, okay?” she said stroking Hitomi's hair.
 
“I'll try not to be, but it's very hard coming back here to this pace of life after living the way I have been for the past four months. Also sharing a room with Marlene is …”
 
“That couldn't be helped,” her mother interrupted. “Your father felt that we needed to live in a more secure building and we couldn't afford a three bedroom. I'm sorry, but you'll have to make do.”
 
“I know,” Hitomi said, trying to be as strong as her mother obviously was. “I won't complain again.”
 
“That's my girl. Besides, I'll get your father to take some of his restrictions off you once you're in school, but you'll have to do your part as well and be an angel for the time left before you start.”
 
“Whatever it takes,” Hitomi said.
 
The Media's Reaction
 
In the time in between getting dragged home and starting school, Hitomi was actually able to make more progress with her father than she thought possible. She simply did whatever he wanted, and being grounded wasn't hard on her. In fact, it was a good thing for her. It kept her out of the public eye.
 
Plus, she often thought about what great luck it had been that she didn't have to go straight to school, because then she would be telling reporters off in public rather than in private. She wasn't rude, though. She just told them that she wasn't available for comment when they phoned or came to the door.
 
This was the best for her to win her father's heart. She never spoke to the reporters, answered their questions or told them where to go. She didn't pose for pictures or tell anyone about her adventures. He was glad she wasn't a show-off and said so often. She wouldn't give her story to anyone. Best of all, none of the reporters seemed interested in her after she had been living at her parents' apartment for a week. The story ran in the newspapers and was mentioned on T.V., but it was brief, boring, and basically just a look back at the school shooting that had killed Millerna. They mentioned her only as Millerna's best friend that had been missing, had come back voluntarily. They said that nothing had been seriously wrong. Hitomi didn't even watch the reports. That was true enough and she wanted to stay away from any publicity. It meant far more to her that her father was proud of her behaviour regarding the media.
 
No reporter came or called the last week before school. Hitomi felt like she was in the clear. Now she could try her best to live normally, and going to school was sure to be an interesting experience.