Vision Of Escaflowne Fan Fiction ❯ Mystic Wings ❯ Raze the Pressure ( Chapter 12 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter Twelve
Raze the Pressure
 
Featuring “Waves Crash In” by Iris
 
The crowd outside The Voltage Room was insane that night. The lineup went down the block and almost around the corner. Hitomi approached the bouncers as she had the week before. Maybe she had been removed from the guest list, but she had to give it a try. Hopefully, neither of them would recognize Allen.
 
“Hi,” Hitomi said, attracting one of the bouncer's attention.
 
“No cutting line,” he said back to her. He wasn't one of the ones she had met the last time she was here.
 
“Do you have a guest list?” she asked noisily, ignoring what he said to her. “I'm probably on it.”
 
“What's your name?” he asked, consulting his clipboard.
 
“Hitomi Kanzaki.”
 
He scanned the list until he found her name. It was close to the top. “You must be here to see him, eh? Go on in.”
 
So, she was still on their guest list? That was considerate of Dilandau, now wasn't it? Giving her such easy access to one of their dens.
 
Hitomi grabbed Allen's hand and dragged him in with her. She told the bouncers that he was with her, and again managed to skirt the lineup outside. There were blood-curdling yells from the kids waiting in the line this time. What was the big deal? Why were there so many people trying to get in?
 
“Wow, Hitomi!” Allen yelled into her ear. “That was incredible! I can't believe how smooth that was.”
 
“Yeah,” Hitomi agreed, still wondering why Dilandau was giving her an open invitation to visit whenever she wanted.
 
When the two of them stepped onto the floor, it was obvious why it was a special night. There was live entertainment. It was an electronic band playing. There were so many people crowding the stage that it was nearly impossible to see who was performing but the lead singer stood closer on the stage to where Hitomi and Allen were standing. If the music hadn't been so good, Hitomi didn't think she would have bothered to see who was singing, but as it was, she tried to get a look.
 
The lead singer was a man, and from that distance Hitomi couldn't see much about him. His hair was cut short on top and spiked and it was longer in the back, like a mullet, except cool - like the yakuza in the manga she'd been reading. He was wearing sunglasses, obviously as protection from the harsh stage lights, and pants so tight Hitomi was impressed that he could walk. They seemed to fit. His voice was amazing. That couldn't be a machine. That had to be all him. And he was amazing. Something about what he was singing and the tone of his voice made her want to give up on talking to Dilandau and just dance.
 
Allen's hand tightened around hers. “There he is,” Allen said, indicating the table in the corner Dilandau had been sitting at last time. There was a woman on Dilandau's arm as usual and two men sitting across from him.
 
It was then that an idea sprang into Hitomi's head. She asked Allen a question. “Did you ever meet Folken?”
 
“No,” Allen said. “Have you?”
 
“No, but I was just wondering if one of those men sitting with Dilandau could be him.”
 
“I don't think so,” Allen said, looking serious, but still holding onto Hitomi's hand. “From what I've seen, Folken doesn't really go out. Are you ready?” Allen asked, obviously completely unaffected by the music or the atmosphere of excitement in the club. It was business for him and he wasn't going to give Hitomi any time to play, but he was still clenching Hitomi's hand in what felt like a fist. He was trying to give her confidence. There was nothing romantic about the way he encouraged her. She was happy that he kept his side of the bargain.
 
Hitomi let go of his hand, rounded her shoulders and cracked her neck. Tonight wasn't going to be a good night. And she shouldn't dance. She should just march over to Dilandau's table and get this over with.
 
Raze the building … Van would have been better at it. Well, there had to be a way to make her power destructive. Thus far, the best she'd been able to do with her power was counter Van's fire. Maybe her threat to Dilandau would be an empty one, but he didn't have to know that. And she just needed to get one fact out of him. Whether it was about Van or Celena didn't matter to her. She told herself that they were connected, and that if she found Van, she'd find Celena and vice versa. She didn't know why she thought they were together, no matter where they were, but she did.
 
“Okay, Allen,” she said, forcing her courage to the sticking point. “Go cuddle up with some chicks, while I go have a talk with Dilly. Keep your eyes on me, and if I make a peace sign with my fingers, come running, okay?”
 
“A peace sign? Got it! But I don't like sending you in like this. It seems underhanded and cowardly to me.”
 
“Shut up. I wasn't a quarter this confident when I came to see him last week. With you here, I won't be afraid at all, and I have a better chance of actually getting somewhere with him. Work with me, ne?” Hitomi said, looking into Allen's eyes and trying to make him feel more certain that they were going about this the right way. “Don't let yourself falter.”
 
“Okay,” he said, moving away to find a group to dance with.
 
Hitomi watched him go and then made her way around the standing knots of people and the tables set out for patrons. It seemed like an awfully long way to Dilandau's table and her heart was up in her throat. Even though she had told Allen that she was better this time than she had been last time, she had lied. She was much worse this time. As she walked, she kept thinking she saw Van every step she took. It was brutal, but she wouldn't let herself deter. She couldn't. She also thought that Allen wasn't going to be any help at all. There were so many people here that if she needed immediate assistance, he wouldn't be able to get to her quickly.
 
Dilly was sitting in a booth, as he had been the other night. So, she couldn't walk up behind him, which is what she would have liked to do. Instead, she had to introduce herself. He would see her walk up and everything.
 
It was hot!
 
Hitomi undid the top two buttons on her shirt and then the bottom two. She definitely didn't look right for clubbing. That's what she got for letting Marlene dress her. She thought undoing the buttons would make her feel more sure of herself, but instead it just reminded her how unprepared she was to meet Dilandau.
 
And why did she have this disgusting feeling in her heart? This reckless wish that he would become Van for her again … It was sick … and stupid. It was what she had been thinking of in the back of her head for the week that she had been at school … that even though Dilandau had scared her before, she wanted to see Van again. She had been hoping that a reason for her to come to The Voltage Room would come again, even though she knew that it was not a good idea. She had been hiding it from herself, but she wanted to look her best in case … what? In case he turned into Van again? It was foolish. She was asking for it. Nothing good could come from this confrontation - not if she approached it this way. Dilandau could wear Van's face, but he could never be Van. She needed to remember that and become solid in her beliefs, but could she prepare herself to meet with Dilandau in the thirty seconds it took her to approach his table? Thirty seconds wasn't much time for her to make up her mind to be strong, but these were the last moments she had.
 
And they were up!
 
Hitomi came up to the table.
 
The two men sitting opposite Dilandau did not appear to be little punks, but instead businessmen of the highest order. Dilandau didn't see her approach, as he was engrossed with their conversation.
 
“Like I said,” he said noisily. “He's not for sale. He only performs here, and only when he wants to. I can't keep him on a schedule. Not only that, but as I have explained, he's not interested.”
 
“But what about all those kids waiting outside to get in? If he made his music accessible to everyone by making an album, then no one would be disappointed,” one of the businessmen was saying.
 
“Precious things lose their value if they become available to everyone. Isn't that right, Hitomi?” Dilandau said, noticing her and signaling for her to come closer.
 
Hitomi came up and smiled as though she and Dilandau were friends.
 
“You look great tonight Tomi! Doesn't she look great?” he asked one of the businessmen - who readily agreed that she looked phenomenal. Dilandau's voice was pleasant to the extreme, and Hitomi realized that it was only for the benefit of his company. He was working, so he had to act congenial. “You got your hair cut, ne? Since last week? Good work! Hey, I'm almost finished with Tyler and Daniel here, could I meet you at the bar?”
 
Hitomi nodded. “Nice to meet you,” she said to the businessmen, before heading towards the bar. There was no point jumping the gun.
 
She plopped herself on the only empty bar stool. It had only just been vacated by a girl who was being literally carried out by a bouncer. She hadn't been drinking too much, but she had fainted on the dance floor (apparently) because she was so excited to see the guy who was singing. Was he really that good?
 
The barkeep asked Hitomi what she wanted and she ordered a bottle of water. Her powers worked better when she was hydrated, or at least she thought so. When she asked Van, he said he didn't know.
 
Allen was sitting at a table with a group of girls to Hitomi's left. It looked like only one of them was talking to him. The others were standing on their tippy-toes to get a look at the stage.
 
The song was wrapping up and the applause seemed to last forever. Hitomi found herself clapping too, though it was a little overpowering. The singer was great, but were all of these people Dragon Slayers? Hitomi thought they had to be because they sounded just like they had in the stadium. It was terrifying, but Hitomi kept one eye on Allen and the other on Dilandau … who was now making his way over to the bar.
 
He told the guy sitting beside Hitomi to scram, which he promptly did, and he sat next to her. “You really do look good, Hitomi. That look really suites you. So, tell me, why have you come to visit me again? I thought you'd never come back after you saw what Van was really like.”
 
“That wasn't Van,” Hitomi said confidently.
 
“He sure looked like Van from where I was standing.”
 
Hitomi didn't believe Dilandau for one second. “I thought you'd be a better kisser,” she commented dryly.
 
He smirked, amused by her statement. “So, what did you come here for? Hoping to get to second base with Van this time? Or perhaps third? I might be able to arrange it, if … you ask nicely,” he joked cruelly, still pretending it wasn't him who had kissed her, before calling the bartender and ordering a drink.
 
Hitomi looked into his pitiless rouge eyes and she wanted to whack him, or worse, but she kept a handle on herself, and opened her mouth to ask about Van and Celena when something caught Dilandau's eye and he turned away.
 
“What's he doing here?” he said, looking squarely at Allen. “The bouncers are clearly not doing their job,” he said, almost spitting and turning again to Hitomi. “Or … did you bring him in with you?”
 
Oh hell! Hitomi couldn't answer. She was absolutely speechless. It was all over now, just as she'd feared. “He won't cause any trouble,” she heard herself claiming. “It's true I brought him, but that was because he didn't want me to come alone.”
 
“If he's your dog,” Dilandau was saying, “then you'd better keep him on a leash.” The bartender gave Dilandau his shot and he gulped it. Setting the glass firmly on the smooth counter, he continued, “What did you come here for really, Hitomi? And why did Allen think it necessary for you to bring him? Speak fast. I don't really have time for this tonight.”
 
“Because of the live entertainment? Whoever you've got playing, he definitely draws a crowd,” Hitomi observed.
 
“Bloody Hell!” Dilandau exclaimed. “For fucks' sake, get on with it. Why are you here? I'm guessing you don't want to join us, so … fill in the blank.”
 
“I want Van and Celena back, and I want them back right now,” she said, trying her best to sound confident. Her speech hadn't sounded good, though. She doubted she was convincing.
 
“You've got to be kidding me! I told you - Van joined us of his own free will. We made a deal with him. He's no longer our enemy and he's working with Folken. And Celena …” he said, taking a deep breath and taking Hitomi's chin in the palm of his hand before continuing, “is my woman. Believe it or not, she came to me and she stays with me because she's in love with me.”
 
“You're a liar,” Hitomi said, grabbing his thumb and jolting his hand away from her face. “She had a gun pointed to your chest. She doesn't love you!”
 
Dilandau wound up and slapped her. Hitomi's head reeled and her mouth hung open. She couldn't believe that he had done that in such a public arena. It was shock more than pain that dropped her on her butt beside her stool.
 
Hitomi jumped to her feet, her fighting spirit was ignited now if it hadn't been before. Dilandau was standing now, too, and Allen was at Hitomi's side, his hand reaching for his gun. Hitomi pushed Allen behind her and confronted Dilandau.
 
“Look,” she shouted. “I'm not leaving empty handed. Either let me talk to Van or Celena or I'll blow this friggin club of yours to Neptune before dawn!” Hitomi suddenly hesitated. Her voice was loud and she had said such a forceful thing in between songs. The voices in the club were completely muffled as every single person in the club heard what she said and had turned to look at her and Dilandau. Why had she said Neptune? So lame … but she didn't have time to correct it now. And she was totally screwed.
 
“So, you just wanna see Van … that's it?” Dilandau asked, sounding again like the experienced businessman.
 
It was too late to regain her composure and she simply nodded.
 
“Well, let me have my associates escort you to him. And why has the music stopped? Play something appropriate!” Dilandau called quite clearly to the band on the stage, and he stepped aside.
 
There was no way he was sending for people to take them to Van or Celena, but to … throw them out? Kill them? Who knew?
 
This was definitely not good. Where were the guys coming from? Most everyone had turned back to the performers as they struck up the opening cords and stopped paying attention to what was happening with Allen and Hitomi. Why should they care, they were all Dragon Slayers?
Finally, Hitomi saw them. There were six guys dressed in black T-shirts with black pants. They had headsets on and their beautiful black hair was falling into their hot chocolate brown eyes. Okay, so Hitomi didn't see that their eyes were that colour from that distance, but she knew they had to be, because they all looked like Van.
 
The perfectness of this night
Echoes with the calling of your name
You should be here with this this way
I could destruct
I could hang on
But what is the difference now you're gone
 
“Run for it!” Hitomi said to Allen, as she pushed him towards the doors. “The kitchen! Head for the kitchen!” she shouted, knowing that the entrance would still be crowded with hopeful kids. Hitomi reached for her gun and kept it clenched in her right hand.
 
Allen pushed people out of their way as they hurried to the other side of the bar with Dilandau's `associates' in hot pursuit. Allen and Hitomi burst into the kitchen. It was packed with the cooking and cleaning staff, but virtually deserted compared with the dance floor.
 
“That way!” Allen yelled, seeing the way out. He grabbed Hitomi's hand and pulled her around the workers. One man tried to stop them and Allen knocked him down most brutally by hitting him on the head with his pistol barrel.
 
Hitomi looked behind her and saw that all six of the Vans had now made it into the kitchen. And it looked like they were activating some sort of mechanism that would lock the door and trap her and Allen in the kitchen. It looked like there was only time for one of them to get through.
 
They made it to the door and Hitomi aggressively threw Allen through the back door before the lock came down. There was one second once Allen was outside that he turned and realized that Hitomi meant to be locked inside. His eyes were wide in horror, but the door clamped shut before he could do anything.

I see the stars and the waves crash in
I know that's where you are
Under a midnight sky that's set to fall
Let the sirens call
Hitomi turned around and saw the six Vans approaching her. So, it wasn't just Dilandau who was able to do this. Hitomi didn't understand what was going on, but she was going to have to take on six Vans. She didn't have any time to prepare, and she wasn't totally comfortable with combat, but she guessed that her powers would have to make up the difference for her.
 
She dropped the gun into her inside coat pocket and let the ice fall to her fingers.
 
The boys weren't in a hurry and they took their time coming towards her, but she wasn't afraid. For some reason, because they looked like Van, she knew there was no reason for her to be afraid. He was so beautiful.

I reach out to space and you are fading
From y
our ocean skies lay the
something suffocating
 
And the dance music that was blearing into the kitchen was only fueling her. Her heart beat just right.

Let heaven fall, hurry the sign
Lace the food and wine
And tak
e this feeling back to where it came from
Her crystal mittens were not what they had been before, covering her fingers with snowflakes. This time, heavy thick sharp crystals that encased her fists like brass knuckles, except jagged with ice. She had to fight them one-on-one, because she had to ask the last one where Van was. This was her last chance to get some answers out of the Dragon Slayers. Maybe one of them knew something. Yet fighting six guys was going to be difficult. She was athletic, but she wasn't used to combat. She'd have to narrow the playing field a little, and there wasn't much room to fight between the countertops.
 
She wasn't sure how far she ought to go, but she couldn't take on more than one at a time. If they were built like Van, maybe she wouldn't even be able to box one of them fairly. With her advantage, maybe she could take two. She decided to try to scare a few of them off with her first attack on the guy who attacked first.
 
It was a pity he looked like Van, but she'd have to go through with it anyway.
 
The first one hesitated. He was looking at her hands and trying to assess what was happening when she slugged him. Her fist skidded across his cheek and there was blood. He staggered to the floor and was kneeling in front of her.
 
Hitomi was breathing hard. This was terrifying. She wasn't a violent person, but so far she'd been forced to be … she didn't like it and she was faltering.
 
The man reached out for Hitomi's leg, and she reacted. With the toe of her little girl shoe, she kicked him in the solar plexus and sent him sprawling.
 
The five guys remaining looked at her like they didn't believe what had just happened. Hitomi couldn't believe it herself. She wasn't violent. What was she doing? But now it was too late, she had to try to find out what had really happened to Van. They could be torturing him. They might have killed him. She had to find out!
 
“I'm looking for Van Fanel,” she said. “Tell me where Dilandau is keeping him.”
 
None of them answered her, and none of them looked scared enough of her to run.
 
She unleashed an ice bolt - exactly like the one she had when she fought Dilandau the first time, except there was no wind behind her. Van wasn't standing behind her this time.

I see the stars and the waves crash in
I know that's where you are
Under a midnight sky that's set to fall
 
As the yellow and blue light dissipated, the kitchen staff and all but one of the men she was fighting ran from the room shrieking things about a demon, but Hitomi didn't pay attention to them as her face and shirt were now splattered with ice. The kitchen was a mess, but the drywall wasn't blown off the way it had back at the other hideout. Hitomi supposed that was because Van wasn't there. Pity. She really did want to take this place down to the last bolt.
 
And there was only one more left for her to face - one more left for her to get answers from. He looked almost like he would rather run from the room than face her, but he was an experienced fighter and Hitomi knew his defeat was going to be extremely challenging.
 
“Where's Van?” she hollered, thinking this was her last chance to get some information out of somebody. “Tell me!”
 
He didn't answer her, but concentrated on where her punches were coming from.
 
“TELL ME!” she bellowed, corning him against the wall and actually hitting the wall beside his head, narrowly missing his face. “Tell me or I'll …”
 
He started to mouth something, and she was trying to pay attention to what he was attempting to communicate to her when he suddenly kicked her in the stomach - a girl's sensitive spot - and sent her sprawling on the wet floor. In a moment he was on top of her, sitting on her stomach with his knees on either side of her. Her stomach was bear because she had undone the bottom two buttons. He grabbed her face between his fingers and brought her eyes to look into his. Hot chocolate brown … gorgeous.
 
“You're not Van,” she said, tears of pain springing to her eyes. “I'll never be fooled again.” She reached up with her fist and punched him in the face - not exactly hard - it didn't need to be hard to be effective.
 
He fell off her, and she got up. She found the courage, and even though it hurt her to do it she kicked him in the stomach, paralyzing him, and searched his pockets until she found his electronic keys and opened the door.
 
“You should have answered my question,” she said, opening the door and looking back one last time, to see, not Van, but a blonde haired boy lying on the floor.
 
I'll be lifted though it leads me up
Though it leaves you far away
All the lights begin
To descend again
 
Hitomi had only had thirty seconds to prepare for the moment when she would meet Van, or Dilandau looking like him, but she felt like she was successful at overcoming her fear in the end. She had wanted to kiss that boy when he pinned her. She missed Van so much, but she had resisted the compulsion, and was rewarded now, by seeing that he wasn't - that none of them were - Van.
 
She felt empowered as she stepped through the door.

And the waves crash in
Author's Notes: I really don't own this song by Iris, and I can't promise that the lyrics are correct. But they are SO good!