Vision Of Escaflowne Fan Fiction ❯ Persephone ❯ Chapter 6

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
Ratings/Warnings: Rating is PG.

Disclaimer: I don't own Escaflowne, the characters, these are copyrighted by their original creators. (I actually don't own the
Greek mythology either. Go figure, ne?)

---------------------
Persephone: Chapter 6
by Katrina Kadabra

Allen was not about to waste time in taking advantage of his situation. The next morning, he called Hermes in to give him some information. Hermes knew from his talks with Hitomi about his secret passion for her, and frankly saw it as a waste of time. Of course, there was no way he could convince Allen of that.

"When is Hitomi visiting again?" Allen asked anxiously.

"Tomorrow," Hermes told him, sighing and rolling his eyes.

"How long does she stay?" Allen wanted to know. Hermes sighed again, but decided that if Allen wanted to waste all his energy to talk to her, that was his business.

"She arrives here at dawn on the first day of the week, and Van returns to take her back at dusk on the last."

"Perfect," said Allen, meaning to say it to himself, but speaking out loud anyway. "Then I've got the entire week to talk to her." He went to bed that night very satisfied and anxiously awaiting the next morning.
As Hermes had promised, Hitomi arrived with Van at first light the next day.


"Honestly dear," Aphrodite sighed. "That lower world doesn't do a thing for your hair." Hitomi sat impatiently waiting for the beauty goddess to finish the treatment that she was so insistent on giving Hitomi every time she visited. "Not to mention your complexion," Aphrodite went on. She held up Hitomi's pale face in her hand, giving her light brown hair a few more quick, strong strokes with a seashell-shaped comb. Hitomi sighed, not really caring that much what her hair looked like. Unlike Aphrodite's, it didn't go down to her ankles. She wondered sometimes how the goddess managed not to trip over it.

"So," said Aphrodite, now working her way up to the front and touching up Hitomi's bangs. "How are things going for you?" Hitomi shrugged her shoulders.

"Alright, I suppose," she said. It was not a dishonest answer.

"Well, you certainly are brave," Aphrodite went on. "I can't even begin to imagine what it must be like living with Van." She shuddered at the very thought, but Hitomi just shook her head.

"Actually, it's strange," Hitomi mused. "But the more I get to know him, the more it seems like there's a lighter side to him, a side I've never seen before."

"A lighter side?" Aphrodite questioned. "Are we talking about the same Van?" The two girls glanced at each other before breaking into giggles.

"No, you know what I mean," Hitomi said, gathering herself. "I think Van might really be a warm person inside, he's just afraid to show it." Aphrodite shrugged her shoulders.

"Well, he's your husband, so I'll let you be the judge of that." She gave the comb one more good stroke and stood back to admire her work. "Very nice," she said confidently, materializing a mirror in her left hand and holding it out for Hitomi to see. Hitomi glanced in the mirror and she had to agree with Aphrodite; she certainly did not take her hair-styling job lightly. But still, Hitomi could not stop thinking about Van. Why she was so interested in him, she didn't have a clue. But there had to be some way to get him to warm up to her. While she pondered this, a familiar voice began calling out,

"Hitomi! Hitomi!" Hitomi turned around to see Hermes in his familiar winged hat and sandals as he rushed up to meet her, hovering in the air.

"What is it, Hermes?" Hitomi asked curiously.

"I've got a message," Hermes informed her. "There's someone here who's been waiting to see you."

"Who?"

"His name is Allen."

"What?!"

Hitomi hurried along after Hermes, as she tried to contemplate what he had just told her. Why would Allen be here on Atlantis of all places? It just didn't make any sense. But, she supposed, her questions would have to be answered soon. Hermes led Hitomi up to the gates of Atlantis, where Allen had already been waiting several hours for her. As they approached, he was joined by Demeter. Right, Hitomi remembered. It was the start of her monthly visit, and her mother would want to see her. Hitomi admitted she wanted to speak with her as well, but the shock of seeing Allen there was testing her curiosity to the limit. So, she politely excused herself and pulled Allen to the side to talk to him privately.

"What on earth are you doing here?" she demanded.

"I've been living here for a while," Allen replied, as if it was nothing unusual. "But you didn't come until now."

"Okay," Hitomi sighed. "So I'm here. What did want to tell me?" Allen drew his breath. This was it; he'd been planning it for a long time. Now was the moment to tell her.

"I had to see you again," he confessed. "I lov… I mean, I really like you, Hitomi," He figured he was jumping ahead of himself, and it was very true, for Hitomi was completely taken back.

"I like you too, Allen," she said, unsure of how else to answer. "But you can't keep trying to see me like this."

"Why not?"

"Van would have a fit, for one thing," she pointed out. "And there are lots of other goddesses up here that you could see every day, not just once a month."

"None like you," Allen told her. Hitomi had no comeback for that. She knew it was wrong, but some how or another she found herself in Allen' arms with her lips close to his. Suddenly, she realized what she was about to do and pulled away quickly.

"What's the matter?" Allen asked.

"I shouldn't be doing this," she answered, refusing to face him.

"Why not? We care about each other, right?"

"But if Van found out…"

"Who cares if he finds out? You hate him anyway, don't you?" Hitomi did not answer right away, which made Allen very nervous.

"Don't you?" he demanded.

"Whether I like him or not doesn't matter, I'm still his wife," she finally said. Allen admired Hitomi's loyalty, but still could not understand why she was so hesitant. Perhaps she doubted him. Perhaps she didn't feel that he would defend her if Van threatened them.

"I'd protect you," he promised in a soft voice.

"It's not that," Hitomi whispered back. "It's…" How could possibly explain to Allen everything she had been through? He had no clue what life was like for her. Being robbed of everything important to her, she was not ready for romance in her life. And despite this, she still wasn't even sure how she felt about Van. In either case, as long as she was wed to him, she could go nowhere outside the underworld without his permission. After explaining this to Allen, he seemed to understand. The two of them decided spend the remainder of the day together, and Hitomi agreed to keep visiting Allen as long as there was no romance involved, and for the time being, this suited him just fine. However, things were soon to change.