Vision Of Escaflowne Fan Fiction ❯ Saving Gaea Once Again ❯ The King of Fanelia ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]





Chapter 2 ~ The king of Fanelia




The reddish sun threw its last rays of sunshine over Fanelia. Up on the roof of his majestic castle, sat Van Fanel, the king of Fanelia. Van looked up into the sky and sighed. It had been eight years since he had last seen Hitomi. Eight long years in which he had known little joy. Working on making Fanelia a prosperous country again was a 24 hour job, and there was little time left for anything else. He had some hours of leisure, but it was pointless. Without her, life was just too ordinary. She had been the one that made it interesting. With her sandy hair, and her beautiful green eyes, as well as her soft voice, she refused to leave his thoughts. Yes, it was true, he still loved her. During the years, his love had not diminished, but only strengthened. At first, he had shared some sort of link with Hitomi, but over the years it just faded. Maybe it was him, maybe it was her, maybe it was both of them. Van looked at the faint trace of the Phantom Moon. There, in that mystical place, the being that he loved more than life itself was locked, and unable to return to him. As Van sat there on that roof, with the last rays of sun brushing gently past him, he thought of Hitomi. "Do you still remember me Hitomi?" he asked in silence. "Do you still love me as much as I love you?" Van wondered. He was almost certain Hitomi had gone on with her life, and had forgotten the adventure she had on Gaea. After all, she did decide to leave. If only he could forget, Van thought. He could not, and he wanted not, for even if he could not have her there with him, the thought of her made him smile. Van chuckled all alone, thinking of all the times she had cheered him up, and even of the time she had slapped him. Twice even. "Well, I deserve it. I would give anything to be slapped by her again." Van thought. He smiled, thinking of his wonderful Hitomi. On the day of their eight year anniversary, she was on him mind more often than ever. Van had tried to forget her. He even went days without thinking of her, but at night, ever since she had left, he dreamed only of her. It was strange really. Sometimes it was the same dream, sometimes it was different, but for the last eight years of his life, he had dreamt only and only of her. Van had come to adore nights, because even for a little while, she was his, and he could tell her everything that was on his mind. She soothed and calmed his spirit, she made him eager to face a new day even when his council pestered him about everything. "How could I not love her? How could I marry someone else, when even through her absence she manages to help and make my life better?" Van thought. His heart was full with pain, and loss. "I miss you so much." He thought.
"Lord Van, Lord Van, where are you?" he heard Merle call.
Van didn't answer. Today, on this day he did not want to deal with the impulsive cat-woman. He just wanted to be alone with his thoughts, and his pain. Unfortunately for him, Merle had good eyes and spotted him on the roof.
"There you are Lord Van!" she exclaimed breathlessly when she reached the top. "Why didn't you answer when I called you?"
"I didn't want to be found Merle, that's why I didn't answer," Van said slowly.
"Well, too bad, Gaddes sent me to tell you, you have an appointment tomorrow. It's regarding the marriage proposals. You have got to make your pick," she informed him gravely.
Van didn't answer. He just sat there and looked at the sky, at the place where he knew the Phantom Moon to be. This darned marriage business was getting on his nerves. However, he didn't want to think about it now. The day was just too full of sweet memories to ruin it with a marriage discussion. He knew that everyone gave up on the fact that Hitomi would come back. Even Merle told him to give up. "Well, I'm sorry to disappoint you Merle, but I don't know what giving up is." Van thought.
"You're thinking about her again, aren't you?" Merle asked quietly.
"About who?" Van asked innocently.
"Hitomi! Today's been eight years since she came to Gaea! Don't tell me you aren't thinking of her! Everyone is!" Merle hotly exclaimed.
"Hmm... I just want you to be happy Hitomi," Van whispered.
"So you are thinking about her! Well, in any case, you have to make you pick tomorrow Lord Van."
"I'm the king! I decide whom I'm marrying! Don't tell me what to do!" Van madly stated. He got up, and left Merle behind. Getting down from the roof, he headed towards his room.
"Lord Van! Lord Van! Where are you going?" Merle asked alarmed.
"To take a walk!" Van responded madly.
He left Merle up on the roof. He was sick of all this wedding discussion. There was only one woman he wanted to marry and she was on that blasted Phantom Moon. He took his sword from his room, and put Hitomi's pendant around his neck. (He had attended a ceremony and had to take it off) Van headed for the forest, where he went on nights he couldn't sleep. The soft scent of the forest helped him relax when he couldn't handle not having her there. Just as he sat down to rest from a violent sword session, a white light shot from the sky into his vicinity.
"Hitomi!"
Was Van's first thought. She came back to him. All of a sudden, a sentiment of joy shot up through Van. He ran to the place where he saw the light hit, slicing anything in his path. There, on the ground lay a pale young woman. "Could this be Hitomi?" Van wondered. He approached the place where he saw her lay. His heart skipped a beat. It was Hitomi. That woman had the same sandy hair, only a little longer then what he knew it to be. He picked her up, only to see she fainted. "The ride must have been brutal and it probably took all the power of her concentration. Don't worry Hitomi, now that you've come back to me, I will have my best doctors look at you." he thought. As Van headed towards the palace with the unconscious woman in his arms, his heart did flip flops, for in his mind there was no doubt. This was definitely Hitomi. She had finally returned to him. The waiting finally came to a stop. Van knew not to waste any more time. He couldn't handle loosing her again.
"Hitomi, I'll never let you go," Van whispered as he approached the palace.