Vision Of Escaflowne Fan Fiction ❯ The Oracle Of The Phoenix ❯ Scuffle in the "Siren's Song" Tavern ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
I do not own Escaflowne

I do not own Escaflowne

Chapter 4

Scuffle in the "Sirens Song" Tavern

*****

The town of Austeria was crowded, muggy and hot. Many of the women that passed had fans in their hand or the top of their dresses undone to the lowest, sometimes even both. Hitomi was in simple dark green pants, a navy long sleeved shirt that buttoned all the way up, a light leather jacket the went to her behind her knees and a pair of normal leather boots, but were great for sneaking in.

`Stay close girl, ye don't want to be gettin' lost in Austeria, this be a spiteful place. Thieves and such.'

`We have thieves back where I come from too you know,' Hitomi stated wryly. `They're probably just as mean as they are there.'

`You don' wanna be fightin' with me girl.' Was all Edwina said before she stopped and pulled Hitomi towards the wall and into a vacant shop.

`What are you-?' She tired to say but a partially gloved hand covered her mouth.

`Shhh,' Edwina quieted. She made her duck behind a dusty counter with her and popped her head high enough to see out the window.

`What is it?' Hitomi said loudly. She gave her the answer by smacking her up side the head. Hitomi mouthed the words "Ow" and leaned back, rubbing her head. Edwina ducked down and leaned against the desk just as Hitomi. They stayed that way for about, wheat felt like a minute and then Edwina stood up.

`I can't believe they be here. Of all places of Gaea they chose Austeria. Bloody hell.' She exclaimed kicking over a turned-over pail that was full of dust. Hitomi sneezed and stood up.

`Who?' she asked, sounding slightly stuffed.

`Dilandau and his men, they're all over this town, searchin' for god knows who now. Could be anyone!' She threw her hands up and let them fall, slapping the side of her thighs.

`Isn't he the one that left you stranded?' she asked innocently.

`Yes.' Edwina snapped and walked over to the door, pulling Hitomi along with her. She opened it and walked out continuing her way straight, leading to the Sirens Song Tavern, where she was supposed to meet Van and the others.

`So, Why did he take your ship in the first place?'

`Because he be damn thievin' pirate.'

Hitomi stopped and looked questioningly at her and asked, `You're a pirate aren't you?'

`Aye, I be a pirate. But I don't go stealin' the big things ye see.'

`Sooooo what you are saying is that it's okay to steal, just ships are taking it too far.'

`Shut up and c'mon already.' She said, turning around and walking on ahead, not noticing when Hitomi had disappeared.

*****

`Where could they be?' Van asked to no one in particular. `It's been too long.' He took a long drink and then set his mug back down on the table.

He was sitting in a corner at a table with Merle, Allen, Serenity and Milerna the others were at another table. The tavern was dimly lit with half burning candles. From the outside it seemed like a welcoming place but when you got in you were sure this was the gallows. It was always dark and damp, like a hole that has been paved on the inside.

There were constant fights and complaints, tables being knocked over and drinks being spilled but it was the only tavern that had business in town .

`She must `ave got lost. Can't trust that lunatic with nothin'' Milerna said, slouching her shirt riding up her back as she did so.

`Hey! Don' ye be talkin' about her like that!' Serenity shouted.

`Be patient. Keep quiet. She'll be here. She's been here many times before.' The door opened to the tavern and Van added, `See what' I'd tell ya?'

`Ye should be more careful with what ye say Captain,' Merle hissed under her breath, `It be Dilandau. What business does he have here!?' Van turned around on his chair and looked behind him. She was right. Dilandau walked in with a few crewmembers.

He was wearing a soft leather vest and a baggy sleeved black shirt underneath, with another shirt underneath that one that was pale green. He had on black fairly snug pants. He wore a belt that held his sword in its sheath and a black and grey bandana.

`You're not welcome `ere.' Said the tender shakily and everyone went quiet. Suddenly, Dilandau took out a dagger and threw it at him, landing beside his face.

`Ye tell me that again, and I wont miss. I'd like drink then.' He said sadistically. The tender merely nodded and got him some ale.

He sat down at the nearest table after he grabbed his mug and his "men" followed like trained puppy dogs while one of the others went and fetched his missing dagger and put it in front of him. Dilandau leaned back and put his feet on the table so that two of his chair legs were on the ground.

The tavern was loud once again and Van stood, motioning for the others to stay put. He walked quietly through the crowd and over to where Dilandau and his men were sitting. Very quietly he went around the support poles (that weren't really poles at all but more like square poles……… if that makes any sense) where Dilandau had his back facing. All his men saw it coming, but couldn't say anything as Van shifted his foot right underneath one of the legs of the chair and sent Dilandau tumbling onto the floor, his neck getting acquainted with one of Van's boots. All eyes were on the scene.

Dilandau looked angry for a minute and then his face brightened with sarcasm and he said, `Ah, Van……… how nice it be ta see ya.'

`Where is she?' he growled.

Dilandau frowned mockingly. `Where is who?' Van pressed a little harder on his throat getting a faint gagging noise out of him. The men that were with Dilandau drew their swords and pointed them at Van, warning him to get off their Captain. There were at least four of them.

In the corner Merle growled. `This has gone on long enough.' She took out her dagger and Allen followed, to make sure that Merle didn't get hurt, after all she was still pretty young. Milerna and Serenity just stayed. `They need us ye know……… There are more of us then them. We can take `em' Serenity explained. She looked to the other table that had the other four members of the ship on it. She nudged her head towards where Van was and where Merle and Allen were sneaking behind them and a few others started to move as well.

`Remove yer foot.' One of the men said. Van did what he was told and Dilandau stood up just in time to say, `Behind ye fools!'

They all turned around and one of them got a hilt of the sword in the face, knocking him down to the floor Merle kicked his sword across the room and held the dagger up to his throat. Allen was warding off two of the others and Serenity and Dryden were attacking the last. Van unsheathed his own sword and held it at Dilandau.

`Very clever Van. I'd didn't think ye would come alone.' He circled around him and Van shifted his position to follow him.

`Where are they?'

`Where are who?' he jested still waking around him tauntingly.

`Ye know who.' He whispered, holding his sword threateningly. Dilandau went to grab his sword and then there was a loud bang, a few of the girls screamed and the others who were fighting stopped and both Van and Dilandau followed the noise to the bar tender who was holing a gun.

`Get out. All of ye, there will be no blood shed in here.' No one moved and she shot the gun again, causing more screams.

`This isn't over.' Dilandau shoved Van out of his way the others followed. Soon all of Van's crewmembers and himself left the tavern and went on their search for Edwina and Hitomi.