Vision Of Escaflowne Fan Fiction ❯ There's Not A Thing I Would Change ❯ Out in the World and Choices ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

~*~Hi all. This is where I insert a witty and hysterically funny author's comment… ::insert witty and hysterically funny author's note here:: I'm done…~*~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Chapter Four: Out in the World and Choices

The typing on computers was all that was heard throughout the office. People were hunched over them, letting their fingers fly over the keyboards. The door at one end of the hallway soon opened and at once, all the females in the room looked up. Once they saw who it was, immediately the mirrors came out and hair was fixed or makeup re-applied.

A tall man with raven hair and dark maroon eyes walked down the long hallway towards his own desk, all the while knowing all the female coworkers on that floor were either winking at him, staring or giving him seductive looks. Giving them all a nice smile, Van quickly went over to his seat. Sure they were all nice girls, but not what he was looking for.

Van had been working in Astoria for about three years now. Somehow when he went for the job, he received an equal position to Mrs. Kanzaki, who had been there for eleven years already. She responded by saying she liked where she was. There was also a rumor going around that no girl stayed in that higher position long anyway.

Sitting down at his desk, Van looked at the mountain of paperwork he had to do. Groaning, he glanced over at the clock to see it slowly ticking away. His lunch break never came soon enough. Sighing, he grabbed the first file and began plugging away at the computer, letting the minutes all flow together.

"Hey there. You look like you could use a short break." Snapping his head up, Van smiled at the kind woman. "Thank you, Mrs. Kanzaki. I'm almost done though."

"With that one file?"

"No, all of it."

The older woman looked very impressed, yet not shocked. Maaya knew Van was talented like that, which is why she put in a very good word for him when he applied for the job. It was nice to be able to see him every week day. At first it was a little weird, but everything was fine after only a few days.

Maaya looked over at the clock to see they had about an hour before lunch break. Smiling, she looked down at the boy she had considered a second son. "You never cease to amaze me sometimes, Van. Maybe the boss will let you out early for this."

At that moment, a tall man burst into the office, causing the women to either get all googlie eyed at him or for them to glare. He didn't pay them any mind and just walked over to where Mrs. Kanzaki was standing with Van. "I don't pay you to chit chat."

Maaya didn't look fazed at all. "I understand that, Sir. I was just taking a small break to check up on Mr. Fanel."

"I'm quite sure he can handle his own work, Mrs. Kanzaki. Think you could handle your own?"

Van stood up with that. "I'm sure she can, because she's usually the first one done every day, yet stays extra to help out the others."

The boss turned his blue eyes onto the raven haired man. "Don't you have your own work to do, Fanel?"

A small grin appeared on his face. "No sir. I just finished it."

That took the man by surprise. "All of it?"

"Yes sir."

Looking very impressed, the man nodded. "Very good Fanel. Take you lunch early today then. You'll have more work on your desk when you return."

"Thank you, sir."

With that, the blue eyed tall man left towards his own big office, leaving the two standing there. Maaya looked at where the boss had walked. "Well, that was something."

"What do you mean?"

Turning to him, Maaya continued, "Well, Mr. Schezar hardly gets impressed. I mean, he looks over you carefully, evaluates you, then leaves. That's it." Taking a look at her watch, she smiled. "You better hurry and leave before he changes his mind."

Smiling, Van grabbed his jacket and made his way towards the door, ignoring the girls' reactions to him. When he reached the door, he heard Mrs. Kanzaki yell to him. "Tell her hi for me!" Nodding, Van waved and left the office, heading over to the local high school.

~

"Oh, hi Mr. Fanel. I think she's just finishing up her class. You know the drill. Fill out the visitor's pass."

Van smiled at the school secretary. "Thanks Keiko." He filled out the usual paper work and placed the visitor's pass on his shirt. "See you tomorrow."

As he left the school office, Van noticed some kid walking through the hall, wandering around as if they were lost. He stopped in front of them and looked down. "Hey there. Are you lost?"

The kid slowly nodded. "I'm new. My first day here."

Smiling, Van asked in professional yet kind voice voice, "What class are you heading for?"

After looking at the schedule in her hand, the girl looked up at him. "Choir."

"It just so happens I'm on my way there as well. Care to join me?" After she nodded, Van began walking in the direction of the choir room. Upon seeing the double doors across from the small hallway leading to the theatre, he looked down at the girl. "Here we are. Right there in the corner is the choir room. Over there is the backstage entrance to the theatre and down that small hallway there is the band room. You ready?"

The girl nodded and Van knocked on the door before opening it up to the class. The teacher looked up, her emerald eyes glancing over at who had entered her classroom. Her long sandy brown hair was pulled up and held in place with a hair clip, a few loose strands falling to frame her face. "Hi there."

Van smiled. "Hey. I found a new student for you."

The teacher got up and walked over to the girl. "Welcome. I'm Ms. Kanzaki, the choir director. What's your name?"

"Ayame Endoso."

Walking back over to the piano, Hitomi picked up her clipboard and scanned it quickly. "Ah yes. Well, what voice part are you?"

"Soprano."

Smiling, Hitomi nodded and wrote that down. "Okay then. There on the left is the soprano section, the tenor in the middle front, basses behind them, and to the right are the altos. Welcome to the choir, Ayame."

The girl smiled and went to find a seat with her new section. Hitomi looked over at Van and smiled, which he returned. The few years had softened both of them, but not too much. Van's expression softened as he watched Hitomi interact with the students, getting them to sing like angels. All the years of pain and of becoming cold seemed as though it never happened. She was smiling and kind to all the students, but remembered to enforce discipline now and then.

After a few minutes of sitting there, the bell rang signaling the end of the period, causing all the students to pack up and walk out. "Good bye, Ms. Kanzaki, Mr. Fanel."

"See you tomorrow."

When all the students had left, Van got up and walked over to her. "You ready?"

After letting a sigh escape her lips, Hitomi smiled. "Where are we going today? Besides, I thought it was my turn to come get you, Sparky."

Smiling at the nickname, Van shrugged. "I finished early, so I thought I'd come see how horribly you're teaching. Those poor kids."

Playfully smacking his arm, Hitomi scowled. "Oh shut up Fanel."

"Be nice, Ms. Kanzaki. You never know when a student is watching. What kind of impression are you instilling?"

"You're horrible, truly horrible."

"It's a gift."

"So then why am I cursed?"

Van shook his head. "Come on. I only have so much time."

"Like I said before, where are we going?"

"You'll see."

"It better not be Burger King or Taco Bell."

"Shoot. Now I gotta think of something else."

Shaking her head, Hitomi grabbed her keys and wallet, then headed for the door, Van following. Hitomi, even though she was now a teacher, still refused to use a purse. From her college, she got a key holder she continues to wear around her neck with her keys and a wallet she received for free from the college hanging as well. "One day, Kanzaki, you will use a purse."

"I certainly hope not."

"Too feminine?"

"Too wussie."

"Same thing."

After smacking him again, Van laughed and led her to his car. He opened the door for her then walked around to his side. After starting the car, he pulled out and was soon driving down the street.

A few minutes later, Van pulled into the local diner he and Hitomi had almost always ended up going. The food was good and at a good price as well. When they went inside and got a table, Hitomi picked up the menu and scanned through it. "I don't know why I bother. I get the same thing every time."

"Why doesn't that surprise me?"

"Ha ha. Very funny."

The waitress came over and the two gave their order, chicken fingers for Hitomi and a plate of fries for Van. They always ended up eating off each other's plates anyway, so no real point for both to get meals.

As they were waiting, Hitomi brought up conversation. "So, did you unload your work on someone else today?"

Van smiled and shook his head. "I finished it all."

Raising an eyebrow, Hitomi questioned him. "Already? My mom tells me it's hard work."

"Well, I am the best. Oh, and your mom says hi."

Smiling, Hitomi rolled her eyes. "Tell her I said hi and that I can't on Friday."

"Can't what?"

Sighing, Hitomi answered. "Kenji is trying to set me up with this friend of his. We were supposed to meet on Friday for dinner."

"So what are you really doing on Friday?"

"Hiding out from them."

Shaking his head, Van sat back. "Hitomi, you know they are only worried about you. I mean you haven't dated in… how old are you now?"

"I know. I just haven't found anyone that interested me lately."

Van's ears perked up. "Lately?"

"Yeah."

"You mean you've been on a date?"

Eyes narrowing, Hitomi glared at him. "Well, yeah. In college."

"Who?!?"

"Two guys. Haru I went out with twice and there was this guy named Kenshin. We went out a few times, but I eventually set him up with this friend of mine named Kaoru. They were much better off together anyway."

"You never told me about this."

"Maybe because I thought you'd make a big deal out of it, kind of like you're doing now."

"Point taken."

At that point, the food came and the couple began to dig in, Van snatching some chicken as Hitomi grabbed some fries now and then. When the meal was finished, they paid the bill, each paying half, then left for Van's car.

As they were heading back to the high school, Hitomi turned to him. "Now remember, I have a few meetings this week as well as auditions for the higher choirs. Think you'll be able to eat all alone?"

"I'll try and survive without you, no matter how hard it is."

"Good boy."

"Woof."

Laughing, Hitomi shook her head. "You are so psycho."

"And yet you still hang out with me. What does that say for you?"

"I don't want to know."

All too soon they made it back to the high school, the bell to ring in a few minutes. Hitomi smiled at Van. "See you later, Van. Maybe we could catch a movie sometime."

Grinning, Van nodded. "As long as it's not 'Pirates of the Caribbean' again. I can't believe you bought the movie."

"Hey! It was great!"

"Do you have it completely memorized yet?"

"Very close."

"Figures."

"Later Sparky." With that, Hitomi got out of the car and walked over to the door of the building. Before she went inside, she turned around and waved at him, him returning it. After she went inside, Van smiled and drove back to work.

~

"Van Fanel. In my office, now."

The said man sighed as he got up to go to Mr. Schezar's office. It was now Tuesday, only one day since he had lunch with Hitomi. His work load had piled up immensely since then, but he still managed to get it all done in time. Mr. Schezar had been checking up on him day after day, but then just left, sometimes giving him a "good job Fanel".

'What could he want to talk to me about?'

Knocking on the door, Van heard a 'come in' and proceeded to enter the office. Seated at the large desk by the windows was his boss, reviewing some file in his hand. Without looking up, Mr. Schezar spoke. "Have a seat."

Without replying, Van did as he was told, sitting across from the tall man. He waited in silence as the file was looked over. Suddenly, the man looked over at Van and fully faced him, placing his hands on his desk. "So, I understand you've been working here only three years. Is that true, Fanel?"

"Yes sir." Van didn't know where this was supposed to be going. Was he going to get fired for something?!?

As if sensing his fear, the man smiled. "Calm down. I'm not going to fire you. I have no reason to." Looking over at his clock, the boss stood. "Come. We have much to discuss. Join me for lunch and we shall talk."

Blinking, Van nodded and stood up with him. "Yes, Mr. Schezar."

"Just call me Allen. You and Mrs. Kanzaki are the only ones who don't."

"Alright."

The two walked out of the office and over to the elevator, the women all watching. Mrs. Kanzaki looked up, slightly puzzled as to why Allen was taking Van somewhere. The two men soon walked into the elevator, went down to the first floor, and headed over to a small café on the other side of the street. They were seated right away and they ordered as well. When they received their food and drinks, Van had had enough. "Excuse me, Allen, but why is it that you wanted to see me?"

Allen smiled. "Cut right to the chase, huh? Alright." Placing his coffee down, he looked at the maroon eyed man. "I've been reviewing your work the past week and it does surprise me. Not only the finishing everything before lunch break, but the fact it is all pretty much perfect. You will go far in this business, Van, if you know exactly what you want and are willing to do anything to get it."

"Umm… thank you?"

Allen just smiled. "Yes, it was meant as a compliment. But tell me more about yourself, Van Fanel. How is it you can do such work at a fast pace? Something driving you?"

Van had to think a minute on that one. "Well, I've always been good with computers and the issues aren't too difficult."

"That may be, but there are still those in the office who are the same, yet still take longer. Is there something that makes you work harder to get everything done by lunch?"

"Well, at lunch I usually go eat with my best friend. She's a teacher at the high school, so I try to catch her on her lunch hour. That might be why."

Allen's eyebrows went up. "A female? Interesting."

Van wasn't dumb. He could see where Allen was going with that thought. "No, I don't hurry to meet her for that reason. She's my best friend. Nothing more."

"It's alright Van. You don't have to explain it to me. I believe you."

Sitting back, Van narrowed his eyes in suspicion. "What was the real reason you asked to see me?"

Impressed, Allen sat back. "You never cease to amaze me, Fanel. Alright then. Astoria has been handed a huge project that needs special attention. Now I have been told to select that one employee to handle the project, meaning a promotion after the success of it. You are one of the people I'm looking at for this position. There are a few others, but that's not important."

"Is this for the Rand account?"

Raising an eyebrow, Allen looked at him. "How did…"

"The files I was given briefly covered the blueprints of the deal."

"I see. Well then, I shall make my decision by the middle of next week."

Van smiled inwardly. This would be a big thing for him if he did get the account. Rand was a very popular company and advertising for it had to huge. Not only huge, but perfect. Of course whoever got the deal and did well on it would get a raise. Ever since he started, Van was looking forward to moving on up as quickly as possible. Then he would be able to move forward with his life, possibly really search for that one special person, after he was financially set, of course. That was what he promised himself. He didn't want a struggling family.

The rest of lunch flew by and then it was back to work. Van eventually relayed what had happened to Mrs. Kanzaki, which she was thrilled to hear. Now he looked forward to getting back to his apartment and just relaxing for the night. This had been one long day.

~

Lunch came the next day and, for some reason, Allen had invited Van to join him. It couldn't have been about the account since they already briefly talked about it. Could it be to confirm the rumor that Dilandau was up for the account as well? That was one person Van really didn't like. Ever since he started working there, he and Dilandau never got along, which gave Van another reason to land the account… to rub it in that psycho's face.

Here he was at the same café sitting with his boss. The chit chat was idle, but he could tell something was bothering Allen greatly. "Is everything okay?"

"You really are perceptive. Well, if you must know, my girlfriend dump- I mean we broke up last night, and it did not go well at all. I guess I wanted someone to talk to after this, which is why I asked you to join me. I knew the girls would have flipped, but Mrs. Kanzaki would have talked them into staying put. Sometimes that woman gets on my nerves."

Feeling the need to defend his second mother, Van spoke up. "She really is a wonderful person. She's just looking out for them and reminding them to get work out of the way first. That's the way she's always been."

"Now how would you know a thing like that?"

"Her daughter is my best friend. Mrs. Kanzaki is like a second mother to me."

Leaning back in his seat, Allen nodded. "I see. Well, back to the original topic, I've been in a slump since she… we broke up. With the banquet coming up in two weeks, I guess I'm a little nervous that I'll be the one without a girl on my arm that night."

"There's still time Allen. If you'd like, I could help you find someone. I know plenty of great girls."

Allen smiled. "I may hold you to that Fanel." After looking at his watch, he motioned it was time to head back to the office. The two men quickly stood up and left, after paying of course.

After Allen had gone back to his office, Van went to his desk and typed away, mentally thinking of all the girls he knew and if they would agree to help him. 'Let's see… Yukari? No, I think she's engaged to Amano, or even married by now. I'll have to ask Hitomi about that. Sachi? No, she's dating Matsu. Mila? No, she's with that guy Zach. I can rule out Robin. John would throw a fit if I asked his wife to do that. Mai? Nope, she's with Joey. Keiko is with that Yusuke guy and Meryl is running after that Vash guy. Sannosuke is with Megumi, so she's a no. I'll definitely have to sit down with Hitomi and see if any of her female friends are available.'

A cocky voice soon entered his ears, much to his distaste. "So, eating with the boss again. What are you trying to pull, Vaaaaan?"

He absolutely hated the way Dilandau said his name, which he knew. Sitting up in his chair and eyes still focused on the screen, Van replied. "Not trying to pull anything here. I don't need to."

"What's that supposed to mean??"

"Just what I said. I don't need to pull anything to beat you on that account."

"Ha. Don't be so sure of yourself. My work is getting better then yours."

"In your sick, twisted little mind maybe."

"It's a fact."

"Why don't you just get a job at Dornkirk like you keep bragging about? They may actually want someone like you there."

With that, Dilandau just "hmphed" and walked away, letting Van win this small battle. It left him even more determined then ever. He just had to get that account and he was willing to do anything to get it.
~

A backpack like object flew across the room as the owner flopped on the couch, a small weird noise emerging from their mouth. Hitomi was dead tired and was seriously debating whether or not to just fall asleep right there and then. Too bad for her, Hitomi's stomach decided she needed to eat instead. Groaning, she rolled off the couch and headed into the kitchen, looking for anything edible. Finding a package of Beef Ramen, she smiled and began to prepare it over the stove.

When it finally finished, she sat at her table with a coke in her hand, preparing to dig in….

*Ring*

Looking up and glaring at the phone, Hitomi got up and answered the damn thing. "Hello?"

"So you aren't too busy after all. Hitomi, why don't you just come over and get some real food? You're probably sitting there eating Ramen again. And the boy Kenji brought over is really nice."

"Hello to you too, Mom."

"If you were supposed to be busy tonight then you really should screen your calls, dear."

"Are you thinking of ways for me to avoid your calls?"

"I'm going to ignore that. Anyway, you should really…"

"Mom, just give it up please. I'll find someone when I'm ready."

A sigh was heard on the other end. "I know dear. I'm just worried."

"Don't be. Listen, my food is getting cold and I really am very tired. I'll call you tomorrow, okay?"

"Alright dear. Good night."

"Good night."

Hitomi hung up the phone and went over to the table, eating her food as fast as possible. When satisfied and seeing the only thing left to eat was the bowl itself, which was tempting, Hitomi sighed and placed it in the sink, then headed over to her bedroom. Releasing her hair from it's binding, she let it tumble down her shoulders. Her bed came into view and she was tempted just to fall on top of it and sleep. With the last of her energy, she changed into pajamas and then crawled into bed. After letting her body relax, she was about to fall into a nice comfortable sleep…

*Knock Knock*

Hitomi glared at her ceiling with this look of 'why me?' as she got up and went towards the door. Yawning, she undid the metal chain and opened it. "What?"

"Oh, sorry. Were you sleeping?"

"No, I just felt like going to the brink of sleep then snapping out of it at the last second. Thank you for your assistance."

"Anytime."

"What do you want, Van?"

The raven haired man was soon let into the apartment and walked over to the couch. He looked a little nervous about something, but in Hitomi's current state of mind, she didn't notice. "I repeat, what is it?"

How was he going to do this? Why did he agree to this? This was not going to go over well at all. Van thought back to what had happened that day to lead him to this horrible situation.

~Flashback~

Van sat plucking away at the computer, slowly getting the file pile down. Taking some time to stretch his back, he looked at the clock to see he had a long way to go. Sighing, he continued to type into the computer, wishing he had gotten more sleep last night. His excitement got the better of him and kept him up, which he was now paying for.

The day seemed to go on forever as his work was slowly diminishing. As Van began his last file, a yawn slipped out of his mouth.

"Oh, very hard at work I see."

That voice caught Van's attention as he whipped around to face its owner. "Hitomi? What are you doing here?"

The emerald eyed girl smiled as her sandy brown hair swayed slightly though restrained by that hair clip. "I had a free period today, so I thought I'd come and surprise you."

Smiling, Van stood. "I'm certainly glad you did."

"Van, I need you to look at…" The tall blonde haired blue eyed man stopped in his tracks as he saw that his new favorite employee was not alone. "Oh, and who is this?" Allen took in this girl fully, all the way from her tight fitting jeans to her button up violet shirt to her sparkling emerald eyes.

Van didn't like the way Allen was looking at Hitomi. Not at all. "Mr. Schezar, this is Hitomi, my best friend."

Hitomi held out her hand to him. "Nice to meet you."

Allen took her hand in his. "The pleasure is all mine, I can assure you. And please, call me Allen." With that, he brought her hand to his lips, kissing it but never taking his eyes away from hers.

That really irked Van for some reason, not liking the looks Allen was giving Hitomi. Perhaps he was just being overprotective like a big brother would be. Yeah… that's it…

Hitomi turned her attention back to Van at that moment. "Well, I can see you're busy, so I guess I'll take a rain check on that lunch."

"Umm, that's okay. I'm sure Van can look at this later. Go ahead, Fanel. I'll see you later."

Van turned his attention completely at Allen that moment, confusion written all over his face. Allen's attention still lie on Hitomi, however, so he never received the confused look at all. "Okay, if you say so."

"See you when you get back. It was lovely meeting you, Hitomi."

She smiled at him a smile Van knew to be fake. "Same here."

With that, Allen walked away towards his office, looking back every now and then to check her out. When he was finally out of sight, Hitomi visibly cringed. "Well, don't I feel like a piece of meat."

Shaking his head, Van grabbed his jacket. "Sorry about that. Ready?"

She smiled a real smile to him. "Been waiting." With that, she took his hand and practically dragged him out of the office, noticing some of the girls giving her the evil eye. "Gee, this is a friendly work environment."

"They all just hate you for being able to go to lunch with the most gorgeous guy in the whole building."

"Really?!? Where is he? Can I meet him?"

"Ha ha… totally NOT funny."

"I thought it was. Anyway, what's close around here?"

After thinking for a moment, Van led her to a nearby café where they sat, talked and just enjoyed each other's company. "Hey, what was with that guy anyway?"

"Who? Allen?"

"Yeah, the pretty boy with the long blonde girly hair… whatever his name was."

Suppressing a laugh, Van replied. "That's Allen. He recently broke up with his girlfriend."

"Ahh, it all makes sense now. Whatever."

The conversation drifted in and out of many topics. All too soon, it was time for her to head back. "I'll walk you back to the office. I need to see my mom about something anyway."

"Okay." They headed back and when they entered the office, they both went over to Mrs. Kanzaki who was trying to help the new guy. "Okay, one more time. You go up to file, then scroll down to save and that's it."

"That sounds too easy. Are you sure?"

"I'm pretty sure."

Hitomi pitied her mother at that moment. "Hey mom."

Looking up, Maaya smiled. "Hi dear. How are you?"

"Good." Turning to what she found to be a rather tall woman, Hitomi smiled. "Hi. I'm Hitomi."

The woman smiled. "Millie."

"Sorry to interrupt, but may I borrow my mother for a moment?"

"Sure! I was just going to go get some lunch. I think it's pudding today! I love pudding!"

*Sweatdrop*

Maaya stood up and follow the two there. "What is it dear?"

"Well, I just thought I should tell you I have a meeting after school and won't be home until very late."

"Funny that your meeting is on the very same night as you were supposed to meet Kenji's friend."

"Life's funny that way."

"Oh alright dear. I'll talk to you tomorrow instead then."

"Bye mom."

"Bye dear."

Van and Hitomi turned to leave and Maaya went back to the computer. Van turned to her. "So do you really have a meeting?"

"Yes I do, as a matter of fact. I wouldn't lie to my mother, Sparky."

Smiling, Van just nodded. "Okay okay. I'll call you later, if you aren't dead tired."

"Bye Fanel."

"Bye Kanzaki."

With that, Hitomi smiled and waved as she left, receiving the same in return. Van turned and headed back to his little corner when he noticed Allen call him over. Walking over to the boss' office, Van tried to figure out what he could possibly want. 'Duh, baka. He had that file for you to look over.'

When he walked in, Allen smiled. "Sit down please, Van." Doing as he was told, he awaited what Allen had to say. After returning to his own seat, the blue eyed bastard, I mean man looked at Van with this weird grin. "Remember when I told you you'll go far in this business if you know what you want and are willing to do anything to get it?"

Nodding slowly, Van did not really like where this might be going.

"Well then, you want the Rand account, correct?"

"Yes sir."

"Are you willing to do anything for it?"

"Pretty much."

"Alright then. So you'll get me a date with your friend there, Hitomi wasn't it?"

Van's eyes shot open as he immediately stood up. "Hitomi?!?!?"

"Yes. I find her to be rather interesting. I can't just ask her to the banquet, so I need to start dating her first. Keep in mind, Fanel, if everything goes well, you will have that account and everything that goes with it. You wouldn't want Dilandau to have it all instead, would you?"

Everything inside Van told him to reach over and punch that smirk right off of Allen's face, but that last little threat still hung in the air. 'If I don't do this, I won't get the account. If Dilandau gets promoted, he could fire me. This won't do at all. But can I really have Hitomi do this? All to save a job?' Van slowly sat back down in the chair, having an inner battle with himself.

Allen took the opportunity. "Dilandau is doing some excellent work lately. He's been dying to work this account for awhile now. I wonder would he take this long knowing this very moment could either help his career, or cause it all to fall apart."

That did it. Van sighed and looked Allen in the eye. "Alright, Allen. I'll make sure you go out with Hitomi. Sunday alright for you? I know for a fact she's available then."

"That's fine. You're doing the right thing Van. And I think it would be wise not to tell her about this little arrangement."

"I figured that."

"Good boy. Now finish up your files and you can call it a day. I'll make dinner reservations at The Winged Dragon for 8pm. Make sure she's there, Van. Don't disappoint me."

"Yes sir."

"Good. You are dismissed." With that, Allen went back to his papers as Van slowly got up and left the room. How the heck was he going to do this? How did he end up trading Hitomi for a deal, a job? Hanging his head, Van went over to his desk and sat down. Suddenly, his stomach began to hurt, as if sensing the foreboding doom.

~End Flashback~

Another sigh escaped Van's lips as he looked over at his best friend. Her emerald eyes looked so heavy from a long day of work. She was in her favorite pajamas, a white tank top and a pair of plaid pj bottoms. Her hair tumbled off her shoulders as her sleepy eyes strained to focus on him and not just close.

"Long day at work?"

Hitomi plopped onto the couch and Van soon sat beside her. "Very long meeting. They want to fire a teacher for some reason that doesn't really make sense to me. Soon they went over all different kinds of procedures to insure nothing stupid happens and…" A yawn escaped her mouth and she shook her head. "And stupid them didn't serve any kind of caffeine."

"I thought you didn't drink coffee."

"I don't."

"Oh."

"Anyway, I'm just looking forward to relaxing a bit. What about you?"

"Umm, I guess you could say mine was eventful."

"That Dilly guy still bothering you?"

"Of course."

"Just punch him out or something."

"Very tempting, but no."

"Just my thoughts."

Shaking his head, Van looked away from her, trying to fit everything together in his head. How was he going to do this?

"Hey Van? Want to watch a movie or something?"

Smiling, he turned to her. "Which one?"

Looking over at her collection, Hitomi sighed. "Just randomly pick one. I really don't care."

Thinking for a moment, Van got up and picked up a video, sliding it into the VCR. Sitting back down, he brought Hitomi over to him so she could lay her head on his shoulder. The movie began and Hitomi sighed. "Captain Correlli's Mandolin. I love this movie."

"I know."

As the movie progressed, Van kept thinking about exactly how he was going to ask her. Allen made it clear to him Van couldn't just say he needed Hitomi to date his boss so he could get a well sought after account, not that he was going to say that. It had to be phrased just right or she would never do it.

Finally getting the courage to ask her, Van began. "Hitomi?"

"hmm?"

"I was wondering if you could do me a favor."

"mmhmm."

"See, this guy at work, you met him already, well, he asked me to see if you would go out with him this Sunday. He just broke up with his girlfriend and needs to find someone to basically take his pain away. I told him all about you and he grew curious, so he wanted to meet you one on one. What do you think?"

"mmhmm…"

Raising an eyebrow, Van looked down to see Hitomi sound asleep, her head on his shoulder while her arms encircled his waist. Van found his arms to be around her as well. Sighing, Van picked her up into his arms carefully and headed for her bedroom. Once there, he placed her softly into her bed, pulling the covers up so they were just under her chin. Smiling, he bent down and gently kissed her forehead. "Goodnight, Hitomi."

"hmmm…"

Silently, Van left the room and soon left the apartment, closing and locking the door behind him. Walking over to his car, he sighed. "I guess I'll just have to try tomorrow. I just hope it all works."

Van then got into his car and drove away, back to his own lonely apartment.

~*~::let's out huge breath:: I thought I'd never get it done in time! Granted it's 11:46pm, but hey, it's up while it's still Monday! So ha! Anywho, review please and I'll try and have the next one up in time. Ja ne!~*~