Vision Of Escaflowne Fan Fiction ❯ Through The Glass ❯ Visions of Betrayal ( Chapter 7 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]



*giggle*

APRIL FOOLS!!

*I have to say, it made me feel guilty reading your reviews, and I apologize for my joke. For those of you who're thinking "It's not April 1, dammit!!" you're absolutely right. However, if you look after my ~SLS~ thing, you'll see the date <4-01-02> I tried 7 times to download the message on Monday, and it didn't work. I finally got it to load, however, and so I posted it. Why? It was to make people get anxious for what lay ahead, also, I wanted to see if people really were reading this, or if I was just posting for my health. If I made any of you angry, upset, disheartened, happy, put you off your feed, or in any way ruined your day, I'm sorry. I hope this chapter makes up for any sleep you might've lost on my account. 13 pages long, I think this is my fav chapter yet, with a nice twist ending. Please note, however, that the rating has gone up because of some violence and Dilly being a potty-mouth! ^_^ I know you're all anxious to kill me/ read the story, but I want to take this moment in the spotlight to thank these people for writing such touching reviews. They actually brought tears to my eyes, I didn't know so many people looked forward to this!!

*Rayven Blackwood* Thank you for the compliments, your's being the first of the bunch, I want to say I really DO appreciate what everyone writes, and I'm glad you decided to read more, and not just say 'hey, good story, keep it up' like some other people do.

*Pyro Nynja ()* Again, thank you! I'm hoping it won't take me three years to get this story done, however, with the sequel in the works still, it might be a while... think you can wait for me? As for some of my other stories >TOW< ... we'll have to see.

*Geniusgirl* I'm going to leave you hanging again with this chapter, sorry. Don't worry, the next > and final, sniff< is going to be great, I promise!!

*Ori* I'm sorry I let you down by not posting every day *hangs head in shame* Here, have a Chesta cookie!! *pats Ori-chan on the head* Thanks for letting me know I'm not the only one who checks out other people's stories everyday for updates *coughcoughZIBBELCOOTcoughcough*!

And last but not at all least:

*Dreamshades!!* Happy Birthday, Nita-chan!!! I changed the ending, see?? I like it better this way, and I think everyone'll agree!! The first signs of romance show through I the second to last chapter!! Yaaaaaaaaaay!! ... wait, how does that work, you say? Simple!! The Sequel, "Reflections of the Heart" !! Coming soon to fanfiction.net......... or eventually, anwyays.

So there you all have it. Please don't hurt me, I've already been asphyxiated by several other friends I played my little joke on. My little blurg done, you can hate me, love, me, or you can have already skipped the intro to read the next chapter:

Visions of Betrayal

Allen paced back and forth in the room, sending worried glances over to the figure that tossed and turned on the bed. First, Celena would cry out something, then Dilandau would finish the thought with a stream of curses, usually directed at Van, the Sorcerers, Adolfus, or humanity as a whole. Allen had been up the night after meeting the sorcerer who had been summoned, and stayed by his sister's side, trying to ease her obvious discomfort and regain his own composure. It was hard for him, considering his little sister kept changing into a boy he'd tried to kill countless times, a boy who had spoken his name with disgust and hatred, when his sister had been underneath the whole time. So close, and yet he never knew... What disturbed him most, however, was when he couldn't tell if it was Celena or Dilandau on the bed- they looked so alike it was if they'd been merged into one being. Allen sank into one of the chairs by the bed, sighing and running his fingers through his hair absently. After the sorcerer had come to see Celena, he had mentioned something that had worried her brother to no end. From what he could understand of the technical terms used, they were in danger of throwing the other out of balance; basically whichever was stronger would be allowed to keep control of the body. Procedures had to commence immediately, but the sorcerer needed to know how far they had transgressed. If they were not separated quickly, he could lose his little sister again, this time forever, and all that would be left of her would be that demon. Could he allow Dilandau to live? He was a shadow of his little sister; the darker nature she would have never shown. A demon, bloodthirsty and ruthless, tamed by none. And yet, he was like Celena. Could Allen destroy the monster that had a little bit of his sister in him? And what about Celena? Could he kill Dilandau even though Celena wanted him safe? The knight of Caeli sighed and did the only thing he could; he held his sister's hand while she slept, praying and hoping that she would be alright.

His thoughts wandered to musings, and he absently wondered what Hitomi and Van were doing at that moment. He stopped this thought immediately, however; one, because it was still a sore spot that the young king had won her heart, and two, because he had a feeling he knew exactly what they were doing, and he didn't want images like that in his head at a time like this. He then thought on his son, and wondered what the young boy would think when he knew of his aunt's secret. He would find out- news of the girl from the Mystic Moon's return had spread like wildfire, despite attempts to quiet them. The boy knew his true father, but he did not know about where his aunt Celena had been during the war. Celena and Allen had agreed that it would be better for the young boy to think she had been a hostage of Zaibach, and that his adopted father's death had long since had revenge, the murderer dead. Allen's gaze shifted back into focus when he realized his sister was awake, and looking at him. He caught her gaze, and she turned from him, avoiding his eyes. Neither spoke for several minutes, then Celena, still staring out the window over the Fanelian rooftops, said softly,

"Don't be angry with me, Brother" He let go of his breath, not even realizing he'd been holding it, and moved onto the bed, picking her up and holding her tightly to his chest.

"I'm not angry with you, Celena, far from it. I wish there was something I could do to help you, I feel as though I've let you down! I feel as though I've caused you nothing but grief, and when I try to do something for you, it only makes things worse. I'm the one who's sorry, Celena. I've tried to make everything better, but I just seem to be hurting you..." He trailed off, bitter sorrow in his voice, and she couldn't help but smile and hold him tightly to her, just as he held her. He was trying to be so strong, but it was so difficult for him, with her trying his every command and Dilandau re-appearing to jolt his already frazzled nerves. Not to mention Hitomi returning for who knew how long; Celena knew that he still had feelings for the girl, but was willing to admit defeat once again. Hitomi might care for him still, though both Celena and Allen knew that the girl's heart was taken by Van.

Celena was surprised when this thought made her wonder if she would ever find anyone who could love her like Van loved Hitomi. She quickly brushed it aside, hoping Dilandau wouldn't have noticed it so he wouldn't make fun of her later. Who could love her, after all she had done- after all she had been? After discovering whose body it was that had housed the spirit of the Dragonslayer captain? She tightened her grip on Allen's shirt, clutching at the only kind of love she'd ever known and cherishing his comfort. Her brother was both her protector and her cager, the only one who might try to understand. Dilandau would be gone- she had to be strong so that when he was gone she wouldn't feel so alone. But she knew she would; Dilandau was someone she had grown to like- not love like a brother, for who could love what he had been?- but she didn't hate him as others did, in fact, she felt better knowing he was there for her. She gave a weak laugh, making Allen look at her oddly. She was a lady that none would have, and Dilandau was a demon no one would survive to keep. 'We were made for each other,' she thought bitterly. 'No one wants either of us.' Allen, unaware of her thoughts, sighed softly, and she raised herself up higher to squeeze him with all her might. She froze midway, then cowered behind Allen's form, trying to hide herself as best she could, and not lose control.

//Oh God, Dilandau, please wake up. He's here, I can't keep him away by myself, God Dilandau wake up!! Don't' leave me alone with him! Please Dilandau!! Don't Leave me alone!!// Her mind screamed in fear, even as the sorcerer stepped into the room softly, a light smile on his face. Allen, who had sensed his sister's fear, turned and straightened as Sorcerer Rusent put down a tray with a glass and pitcher. Rusent put the tray down on the table next to the bed, and looked down at her with an almost gentle look on his face. She cringed back into Allen even further at the sight, trying to keep the memories of the past from resurfacing. Something stirred within, and she could do nothing but remember the first time she'd seen a sorcerer with that same smile on his face.

** "What are you doing with her? Why wasn't I told of any of this? I was told that the procedure would not be ready for another month at least!" The sorcerer glared at the Dog-man, keeping his hands hidden within the dark recesses of the cloak's folds. Celena, not able to even begin to fathom the effect this day would have on her, sat silently on a bench in the garden where Jajuka had been telling her stories. The men in dark cloaks had come with several soldiers while he'd been telling her a rather funny story about a magic carpet and ghost that had been trapped in an enchanted lamp. Jajuka had seen them and stopped suddenly, standing and trying to shield her from view. The man who had spoken to Jajuka first looked at her and smiled softly at her, as though they shared a secret and that he knew she wouldn't tell anyone of their private joke. She looked at him for a minute, then returned the smile, though she remained where she was. Jajuka had always told her to be quiet and do as she was told when the sorcerers were there, but none of the men had ever smiled at her like this before. Maybe this sorcerer wouldn't be taking her back for another "test", another one of those stinging needles or nasty liquids they made her drink. Maybe he would tell her she'd been a good girl, and that she'd have a treat. Maybe they'd brought Brother, so that they could play hide and seek like before! Her smile grew to a grin, and the sorcerer's smile grew as well. Jajuka, seeing the change in the man's demeanor, looked down at her, an almost panicked look on his soft face.

"Celena, run." The sorcerer's smile turned to a sneer as the slave spoke softly to the little girl. Celena's own smile disappeared, uncomprehending. How could Jajuka tell her to leave, when this sorcerer would take her to her brother? She kept her blue eyes on the Dog-man, unsure as of what to do. The sorcerer who had smiled looked at her again.

"Celena, be a good girl and come with us." She shied away from his nasal voice, clutching at the rough tunic of her caretaker. The sorcerer looked annoyed, and straightened. "Celena, you were told to follow me. Have you forgotten what Jajuka told you? When we give you an order, you do as you're told. Do you understand?" She backed away again, hugging Jajuka's waist and feeling as though something was wrong, though she didn't know what. She looked up at Jajuka, who's usually docile and sweet face was a vision of fear, hatred, and worry. The sorcerer's smile returned, and several of the soldiers who had accompanied the sorcerer grabbed onto her wrist, pulling her away from the Dog-man. Jajuka gave a protest that sounded like a bark of surprise, but he too was restrained. Away, back into the cold and dark metallic halls of the compound, Celena was dragged by her arm by one of the soldiers.

"Jajuka!! Help me!!"

"CELENA!!" The canine -man roared in fury, throwing his assailants into the surrounding shrubbery of the garden and running into the hall. For a moment, Celena's heart soared- Jajuka reached out to grab her, but was forced back when a spear butt fell heavily across his back, throwing him to the ground in pain and surprise. Several other guards came out of adjoining halls, with poles to restrain the slave form reaching her. " NO! Don't take her!! CELENA!!!" Another blow across his back, blood was dripping out onto the floor and spreading like water from the fountain they'd been playing in together earlier that morning.

"NO! JAJUKA!" The dog-man groaned as he fell into unconsciousness; a guard had kicked him in the gut again and again for good measure. The sorcerer stepped over the still and bloody form of the slave, and Celena was once again pulled from Jajuka. The smile had never left his face.**

Her heart was racing, she panted and held onto Allen's sleeve for support.

//God Dilandau... Help me....// She was going to faint, then she'd be at the mercy of the sorcerer. Allen was no protection from the man's lies and deceit- she had to run, she had to get away, she had to keep him from touching her and killing Dilandau, from doing anything to them again. She shoved Allen away from her, and scrambled out of bed, unsteady but standing. Allen stood, trying to get her back into bed, and the sorcerer went over to the table and poured out a small glass of what looked to be like some sort of fruit juice. //I won't drink it... I'll have to kill him, I won't let him have a chance at us again...How dare he try to touch me again....// She sat back on the bed again, her head throbbing and her stomach feeling sick. She wouldn't faint, she wouldn't be weak!! The sorcerer tried to give her the medicine, but she shook her head and looked away, pursing her lips tightly and pushing the glass away again and again. The sorcerer said something to Allen about it being for her own good, and to her horror, Allen gently put her hands in her lap, shaking his head and telling her to be good and drink it; he'd be right there, so don't worry. The sorcerer came near again, and her mind raced in fear.

//Help me, Dilandau!! What do I do?? Dilandau??// The sorcerer tried again, and she shouted at him to get away. He frowned, and then made a grave mistake; he tried to force her to take it.

//DILANDAU!!!// Even as the pain shot up in her hand, she could feel the room's frenzied fight subside and a silence took over the room. Rusent was standing several feet away, a hand to his cheek. The medicine cup lay shattered on the floor, its contents seeping into the expensive rug at the foot of the bed. Allen sat next to her, a look of horror on his face. She looked in the mirror, and saw why.

Cold, red, hating eyes looked back at her; her hair was a silvery hue, not quite as curly as usual. Dilandau, and yet not him. She stared at her reflection even as her features resumed their normal composition, though her heart beat wildly in her chest.

>What the fuck was all that about??< She almost cried out in relief as Dilandau's voice rasped through her mind as though he'd just awoken from a deep sleep.

//Don't you ever leave me alone again, Dilandau!//

>Shit! Did that asshole try to hurt you?? I'll kill him!!< Even as he 'spoke' those words, however, the sorcerer had picked up the cup and was on his way out of the room.

"I'll let you get some more rest, you're still very taxed from your ordeals. We will talk later, when you've fully recovered. I am glad to see you awake at last, Lady Celena." With that, he was gone from the room.

Allen, who had not spoken for several minutes, stared at his little sister. "Cel...Celena...?" His voice had an odd tone to it, and when she placed it, she bit her lip, wanting to cry. God, Allen was afraid of her- of HER! The only one who could really keep her safe was scared of her! How could she rely on him to keep the sorcerers away now?? She looked down at the sheets, ashamed, afraid, and anxious.

"Don't let them touch us, Allen... Please, I think I'd rather kill myself than go through that again! Don't let them take me away again!! Don' let them hurt us!!" She cried out, and fell sobbing onto Allen's shoulder even as he fiercely held onto her.

"I won't let them hurt you, Celena! God, I'll never let them hurt you, don't think I'd let anyone do anything to harm you! I don't want to lose you again! You'll never be alone again!!" He tried to hug her again, but Dilandau pushed him away, wiping away the tears Celena had spilled.

"Don't touch me, Schezar! Get away!" Allen almost jumped out of his skin at the sound of the boy's voice, and he quickly stood to leave.

"Fine." Allen picked up a chair to set outside the room, but a commanding and authoritive voice said,

"Don't leave me alone!!"

Allen paused and turned around, not believing what he'd just heard. Dilandau still sat on the bed, straight, grim looking and aloofly irritated. But in those red depths Allen saw the plea his sister had made so many times. **"Don't leave me alone, Brother! Allen! Please! Stay with me..."** As though he knew what the knight had seen, Dilandau lowered his gaze to the bedcovers, showing the first sign of deference Allen had ever seen in the boy.

"Please." A simple statement, and yet so much more. Dilandau trusted him-they'd been bitter enemies at one point, and yet he trusted him!! Allen blinked a few moments, but the boy didn't move and didn't appear to have plans to get up and slit his throat immediately, so he put the chair down again and sat, The rubies flickered up a moment, then returned to the bed. Allen could have sworn he saw a smile of relief, but quickly forgot the thought when the boy's demanding manner came through again.

"And get me something to wear- preferably not pink. This damn nightgown is itchy, why'd she have to choose one with so much lace??"

I know Allen has some trouble getting used to Dilandau appearing and disappearing in the days that followed. I have to admit, I can't really remember much of those few days when we were "recovering". I drifted in and out of consciousness, Dilandau taking over when I didn't have the strength to stay wake anymore. I found out the reason why we'd been "recovering" so long- but I'll get to that in a bit. The point is, when we were finally 'rested' enough, the sorcerer called for us- I mean Allen and me, since I refused to go anywhere near the sorcerer without him. And of course Dilandau- he was what one might call a captive audience. As Allen told me a week after we'd returned from the power spot and three nights since the encounter with the sorcerer, Rusent had asked to see us again. I instantly said no, but Dilandau said to think it over carefully before coming out and saying no immediately.

>If you don't talk to the sorcerer with Allen in the safety of the palace, they'll just find a way to kidnap you, or convince Allen to letting them take you for a while. Besides, if we listen, we might be able to figure out what they have in mind, and then we'll know what we're up against. Trust me, Celena.<

//I trust you//

I'd almost agreed with Allen to go meet with Rusent, but a thought struck me and I said, "No." Allen looked at me from across the table. We must have looked a pair- Allen, looking so neat in his uniform, then me, standing there in the outfit Allen, Dilandau and I had agreed upon. Allen wouldn't have me seen in anything other than a skirt, Dilandau flatly refused to wear anything pink, frilly, laced, highcut, stuffy, dressy, feminine, tight, hot, or in the form of a dress. I agreed with Dilandau more than Allen, so we compromised on an outfit similar to Queen Millerna's attire, only in blue rather than pink, and the overcoat was a bit longer. I wanted it in purple, but Dilandau wouldn't hear of it, so I went with the blue.

Allen looked at me as I flat out refused to see the sorcerer, and seemed worried that Dilandau might have been come through. "Celena, I don't understand. You said that you would-"

"I said I would go with you to see the sorcerer, and I will. But I want Hitomi there as well. And Merle, if she'll come." Allen blinked as though I'd spoken in Atlantean, and tried to gather his thoughts.

"Why do you want-?"

"We brought Hitomi to Gaea to help us. I won't keep her out of a meeting that she could be of some use. And Merle should be there because I want her to be. I refuse to go unless they're there." We argues for a bit, but in the end, my demands won out. I'm not sure if it was because Allen was so desperate for me to speak with the sorcerer, or because he thought it would be better if there were more people there to make me calmer, but in the end, he agreed to my 'request', and later that afternoon, we found ourselves in a quiet study with the sorcerer, Merle, Hitomi and Van. Though Dilandau grumbled at the thought of Van being there, Van refused to let Hitomi leave his sight, and she in turn refused to be kept out of the meeting. So, there was an awkward silence for a long while after the servants had left tea for us and closed the doors. I reminded Dilandau again that he was not to go after Van at any point in the meeting, and Dilandau repeated a promise I'd made him say over and over again that he 'would not attack, threaten, maim, bite, scratch, burn, or do any bodily or mental harm to Van'. I told him he could curse as much as he wanted, and glowering was permitted as well. He wasn't happy, but he didn't complain as much afterwards.

I noticed with some bemusement that the sorcerer seemed uncomfortable with all the company, to which Dilandau replied:

>Good. Let the bugger be nervous.< Actually, he used a very long string of curses to describe the sorcerer, but I'll let you fill in the blanks with your own imaginations. I must have let out some of my smirk, though, because 'Rusent' cleared his throat and began his 'examination'.

"Well, then , Ms Schezar, how are you feeling today?"

>Don't tell him anything that you don't have to. Remember, he may call himself a healer, but he's a very dangerous healer. So just repeat what I say and-<

//For God's sakes, Dilandau, I'm not an idiot. I don't need you telling me what to do and say. I have lots of things I want to say to him, but I don't think I can or I'll get in trouble with Allen. I owe my extensive vocabulary to you, I might add, although I don't think Jajuka would approve anymore than-//

>Quiet, he's staring at us.< Sure enough, the room was quiet and everyone was looking at me expectantly. I could feel myself flush as I realized they'd been waiting for me to respond to a question I must have missed, so I answered the one I had heard with false bravado, though a bit curtly, I admit.

"I'm very well, Sorcerer, thank you." Rusent looked at me with those piercing blue eyes of his, and I could feel both myself and Dilandau squirm under their gaze. He frowned, saying,

"Are you sure?"

"Yes!" I was surprised he didn't jump back, but it wasn't Dilandau's reply- or at least, not entirely. I didn't need him to put a sting in my reply; my hatred for the sorcerers was as deep as his, though I might not have let my emotions show as much as Dilandau. The Sorcerer nodded stupidly, however, and wrote something down on his tablet. I had a brief memory flashback of Dilandau doing an impression of the sorcerers in his youth- he'd stolen a cloak from one of the apprentices, and had paraded about in it, muttering under his breath about Fate and being bald. The other boys in the bunker had found it hilarious, and the entire bunker was abuzz with merriment until a very stern apprentice Folken had found Dilandau poring over 'a fate alteration experiment' in the robe. Gatti's socks, which they'd been trying to fate-alter not to smell so badly anymore, had been held suspended over the fireplace while Dilandau 'experimented' and wrote things down on a tablet. Folken had been sent to figure out why the lights were still on in that section, and the socks had been dropped by accident into the fire, causing it to sputter and catch the rug on fire. The boys who had taken the punishment along with Dilandau would later become some of his top ranking Dragonslayers, and from time to time a joke about Gatti's Fate-altered socks would be mentioned. I smiled fondly at the memory Dilandau had sent to me, making the sorcerer in front of me raise an eyebrow, but he continued his talk all the same.

"Ms Schezar, your brother and Lord Van say that you've been having dreams of Dilandau, and that you had no prior knowledge of him before that. Since you now know more of your fusing with Dilandau, have you had any other dreams of him, or perhaps memories that weren't yours?"

>Play the fool, Celena. He's trying to trick you into-< I ignored Dilandau's irritating blather, and spoke for myself.

"Yes." The sorcerer nodded again and scribbled as Dilandau cursed at both of us.

>What do you think you're doing?? Play dumb!! Don't answer his questions!! Celena, I swear, sometimes you can be so-<

//Shut UP, Dilanandau! Let ME handle this!!// The sorcerer went on, unaware of the things he was being called by Dilandau, and asked me again,

"I see. And what did he say to you? Has he tried hurting you in any way? Was he responsible for your last actions? Did you ever lose control at any point?" I couldn't help but frown, agreeing with my other half as curses fled from his lips.

>Does it look like you lost control? Honestly, he must think you're a complete moron! Are you going to let him talk about you like that?? Stand up! DO SOMETHING! Don't sit there and look pretty!! Take action!!<

//What do you propose I do, slap him again? You need to think things through, Dilandau, or we'll never-//

"Celena...?" I looked down at my brother, who seemed just as surprised as myself when I found myself halfway across the room and heading towards the sorcerer, hands twitching to give him the reprimand he deserved. I blushed, muttered something about forgetting myself, and sat next to Van, who immediately pulled away and blocked Hitomi from my view as though I might go after her. I gave him a little smile which seemed to make even more nervous, and I gave them all a little titter of amusement.

"Nothing, Allen!" I smiled more freely as Hitomi began to giggle as well, and couldn't help but smirk when a sulky voice inside mumbled,

>You have that air-head act down to a beat. You've been spending too much time with Millerna, Celena.< The sorcerer, however, did not find the situation amusing- probably because he realized that I'd gotten up to go assault him, but maybe he had some idea as to what I ha going through my mind. Whatever the reason, he sat up very straight, and put his pen down on the table beside him.

"Lady Celena, I feel as though you are not applying yourself to this completely. If you'd like, we can stop and try again some other day-"

"No, no, that's alright!" I gave him the giggle that always made Allen stop asking me what I was up to, and put on one of my sweetest smiles. Rusent seemed to see right through it however. His face got a very eery stillness to it, and I could almost hear the mechanical and clockwork thinking that was whirring through his mind. The slightest of smiles broke through on his face, and my confidence began to fall. I could feel panic begin to take form, despite Dilandau yelling at me to get a grip on myself. I forced the smile to stay on my face, and I was very proud of myself that it didn't fall when he asked me a quetion I was unprepared for:

"Ms Schezar, may I assume that Dilandau is speaking to you right now?" I must have gasped, however, as he showed more teeth in his smile, and Allen seemed to grow faint. Van stood up, holding his arms up as a shield in front of Hitomi as though I had the plague and he was protecting her from me. Merle had said nothing the whole time, she sat quietly in her corner, her tail curled around herself and claws digging into the chair she sat perched on. Dilandau screamed bloody murder the whole time, then shouted at me in urgency.

>LIE, lielielielielielielielielielielielielielielielielie!!!<

" Yes..." I could barely hear the next thing the sorcerer said to me, with the screams of Dilandau, the shouts of astonishment from Van and Allen, and the gasps of Hitomi all overwhelming my sense in a cacophony of anger, fear, and surprise. I remember biting my lip, because I could taste blood in my mouth after a few moments. I was wincing as the noise grew in volume, and I lowered my head, bringing my hands to my face and begging with Dilandau to calm down. I was almost to the point of tears, it hurt so much, and Allen was by my side in an instant, Holding onto me tightly. The sorcerer, however, was adamant in his pursuit, and asked me his question again.

"What is he saying??" I looked up at him, hearing both his voice, and the shouts of my counterpart. I would have liked very much to have just curled up and hidden myself at that point, just to get away from it all, but Allen was my link to everything; he held my hands tightly and caught my eyes with his cerulean depths. *Allen!* I pulled out my handkerchief and wiped away the tears that had begun to form, and stiffened my frame. Dilandau was quiet as I did this, trying to calculate my next move, though probably guessing it. I could just imagine him, smirking as he did so often, and feeling mighty as I showed weakness. I licked away the blood from my lip and locked eyes with the sorcerer. He seemed taken aback with this sudden fierceness in my eyes, and even Allen seemed unnerved.

"They're red again... Celena...?" I wouldn't let him weaken my resolve however. I kept staring into the eyes of Rusent, and said boldly,

"I would tell you, Sorcerer, but my brother would not approve of what I would say. My breeding does not allow me to answer you." Allen bit his lip, seeming to be beaten by his own game of proper etiquette and manners that he'd always made me follow begrudgingly. The sorcerer seemed nonplused, but I spoke out again before he could reply. "I can, however, let you know what we both think of you. Dilandau, please tell the man." With that, I closed my eyes and fell back even as Dilandau sprang forward. I could feel the giddiness in his being rise as the body reshaped itself, and I knew he'd been waiting like a coiled dragon to spring forward. I listened with detached amusement as Dilandau used every curse we'd ever heard in a very intriguing and poetic manner, going on for a good five minutes. I think Allen jumped away from us, and I could see that Van was groping for the sword Allen had made him remove earlier. Apparently, Dilandau had not been the only one told to behave himself. I decided to let Dilandau deal with the interview for a while, I was exhausted emotionally and physically, and besides, it was his turn to deal with the idiot.

Dilandau sat down with a sneer on his face, triumphant and superior. It took Rusent several minutes to find his voice, but Hitomi found hers first.

"Dilandau-" Our eyes swerved over in her direction, and she gulped. "Now they're blue...." She said in hushed tones, and Dilandau ran his fingers through his hair. Curly, blonde, and very much like my own. He frowned when he realized this, but the sorcerer spoke again, softly, as though trying to coo a babe to sleep.

"Dilandau... how.... nice of you to join us.... I'm glad to see you well. But if you don't mind, I'd like to talk to the lady Cel-"

"Forget it! I'm the one who's got control right now, so deal with it. This is the first time I've been able to come forward and speak my mind without wearing something pink and frilly. Celena- or rather, Allen, has no sense in fashion, and I want to enjoy what time I've got in more fitting attire. Besides, Celena asked me to deal with you personally." He shot a look over at Van, who'd chuckled at the thought of Dilandau in something pink and lacy, but the young king gulped at his glare and fell silent. Dilandau's eye twitched momentarily, and he brought a hand up, beginning to stroke his cheek while visions of the young king's head on a pike whirled through our mind. I knew Van didn't have to worry, though. As much as Dilandau despised him, our hatred for the sorcerers was first and foremost; a feeling that had been beaten into us when we were young, and fed with fear and malice as we grew. I didn't hate Van, but I would have had no qualms if he'd been injured after our ordeal with the sorcerers had come to a close. If you think it beastly of me, just remember that I loved Chesta, Dalet, Gatti, Miguel and everyone else as much a Dilandau had, if not more, and I had seen the wreckage of their ships, and I had heard the cries for help and mercy that Van had ignored and been blissfully deaf to. So if I seem cruel, remember what I saw and heard, and rethink your loyalties. Hate is a powerful thing, but fear, fear is stronger yet. And we feared the sorcerers above all else. The one who sat in front of us had no idea how much we wanted to exact revenge upon him for all that had happened to us, for what had happened to our men, for what they had done to our lives. Dilandau's hand lowered and his scowl deepened, our hate burning both our souls, and a mixed bloodlust began to fill our entire being. His words seethed as he spoke, and he accomplished something that was rather effective- I almost giggled when I saw the sorcerer's eye bug out. Almost. The room almost seemed dark, despite the fact that it was still afternoon, albeit late. Maybe it was just the atmosphere as Dilandau made his demands. His voice softened and whispered about the room, my own thoughts echoing his as our voice merged into a kind of double voice that seemed to scare the pants off of everyone there.

"I know you know a spell...." Our voice almost coed at the sorcerer, but began to grow into a deadly and more angered tone as we continued. "You know a spell, and you will perform it. We deserve a life, not this farce you've thrown us into. You will give Dilandau back his own body, and Celena will have complete control of her own. You will do this, and you will not destroy either." Allen stood, in horror or shock, I don't know. But once again, the girl from the Mystic Moon had the guts to speak up while all others cowered.

"Just who are you? Celena, or Dilandau?" Our eyes shifted over to her again, and I saw how she'd changed. She was still that irritating girl who'd ruined our plans so many times, but she'd become a young woman. She was an outsider, a foreigner, and would never fit in completely. Like Us. Dilandau frowned, irritated that he had to waste time on stupid things like identifying himself when he'd made it obvious who was in control. Our double voice answered.

"Celandau." He growled- Growled- in fury of the mixed reply, and tried again.

"Dillena" With that, the body made a sudden shift into its female form, catching us both by surprise and throwing us to the ground in pain. Between spasms, Dilandau hissed at me,

"Why didn't you say you wanted to come back? I would've let you!" I coughed, wrapping my arms around myself as I took control again.

"I didn't- Dilandau, what's happening? Dilandau?? Why did you let go? I didn't ask...!" I fell forward again, and Allen supported our weight as the pain made it unbearable to stand or even sit. "Brother!!" I cried out, trying to understand what was going on, trying not to fall into the darkness that threatened to hold me and crush out my flame. I can remember tasting something bitter, but cool to my parched throat, and I saw a glimpse of Dilandau lying sprawled out on the edge of our consciousness, blood beginning to flow out of his mouth. I 'ran' over to him, propping him up with what strength I had left, though I was as exhausted as he was broken, and neither of us would be fit to move for some time. I pulled out a handkerchief from my sleeve and wiped away what blood I could, cradling his head on my shoulder. His eyes flickered up to mine, and I saw the fear they held. Not hate, not anger, not defiance: Pure and primal Fear. I saw splashes of liquid fall onto his face, and realized they were my own tears. He shifted to try to bring himself up, to try to wake the body that slumped against Brother's shoulder, to get it away from the danger it was in. He couldn't, and he fell back onto my shoulder, whispering.

"Celena..... Spell..... Sorcerer.... death..... don't... drink....potion" I couldn't make out the rest of his words however. A blinding flash illuminated our shared space, and I fell to the ground, arms still wrapped around my fallen angel, my doused flame.

*******

"Such a beautiful face. Maybe we should just tell Allen she died during the experiment, I think it might be easier than parting with this one."

Dilandau awoke to an odd mixture of sensations: one of someone kissing him very gently on the lips, the other of having half of his life-force being drained from him. One he remembered quite vividly, and memories brought him to full attention. He roared in fury as he found himself strapped to a table, and tears choked his throat from forming coherent words. His mind raced, straining against bonds he knew he couldn't break in his weakened state, and thoughts hitting a barrier within his subconsciousness. He saw Celena on the other side, looking as though she slept peacefully, and a hint of a smile was on her lips as she had dreams within her dreamworld. But he could see that this was no state of sleep. Never had she looked so pale, never had she been deaf to his cries for her. He threw his weight against the barrier that separated them, in a frenzy as he saw her fading from view. The angelic look never leaving her face, parts of her visible, then gone. Dilandau shouted at her to awaken, to fight, to break free. She only sighed and flickered from his vision for a moment. He forced himself to break his thoughts from her, and opened his eyes again, looking through the haze of the room he was being held in. Several sorcerers were smiling down at him, one of them even dared to bring down his hand to touch the soft face, run his hand down the length of the figure laying out on the table. Rusent, apparently in charge of the operation, allowed his fingers to linger on the soft locks of hair framing Dilandau's face.

"Ah, awake, are we? Don't worry, you're doing fine. Just relax, Celena. We'll have you free in a moment." *Celena??* Dilandau looked down at himself for the first time, and saw he had flesh bulging out in the wrong places, and that he was missing it in other areas. He exploded in near delirium, his frenzied cries for help those of Celena's.

"NO!! GET AWAY FROM ME!! CELENA! WAKE UP!! FIGHT THEM!!" Rusent had brought a hand down to quiet Dilandau, but drew it back, blood beginning to ooze from the gash Dilandau's precise nip had given him. He looked angrily at the sorcerers around the various instruments, and shouted.

"You fools!! You were supposed to sedate Dilandau, not Celena!! Reverse the spell, quickly!!" Dilandau strained at the leather that bound him helpless to the table, hearing it groan at the amount of pressure he forced upon it. But Celena's frame was too weak to break the bonds, he needed his own form to do the task. Not wondering or even caring if she could hear him, Dilandau closed his eyes while still straining on the thongs that held him prisoner, shouting at the top of his lungs.

"You have to fight them!! Celena!! Wake up!! Don't leave me alone!!" From within his mind's eyes, he saw the barrier between them begin to fade as the sorcerers began to reverse the spell. He batted away what was left of the spell and scooped her lifeless form into his arms, hugging her close.

"Celena, wake up. Gods, woman, wake up. You can't leave me alone!! Wake up! Celena!" She moaned quietly, but had too little strength to do anything else. He could feel tears falling from his eyes, but he didn't pay them any mind. Whispering, he said quietly, "Celena, you can't leave me like this! Celena, please... I need you!"

Leaning down, Dilandau kissed her with a passion; a need that drove two people destined to be together. Her body shuddered as another onslaught of the spell attacked her weakened mind, but he could feel heat begin to return to her. Her eyes flickered open, and she looked up, startled to find her other half's lips pressing themselves against her own with such force. He saw her expression of confusion and laughed, holding her tightly to his chest as she began to reappear. "Don't you dare leave me alone again, Celena. Damn you woman, I thought I'd lost you forever." His voice held no malice, however, and she pushed herself up, and they stood together, arms wrapped around each other in a tight grip. The body shifted to it's male form, though neither noticed, they were so caught up in the embrace. Celena looked up at him and laughed, wiping away some of his tears.

"Damn you yourself. Crying over a woman? You have gone soft, Dilandau." He smiled, but said nothing as he held her close again.

Their reuniting was swift however. Dilandau gasped as a bolt of pain made him stagger away from Celena, clutching at his chest and panting. "Celena... run..." A bright light began to form above his head, the same light that had ensnared Celena before. He fell to his knees, whispering again, "Run....!" She threw herself at him, throwing him out of the way as the column of light the spell had created found her, and drew her off the ground. She reached out, crying.

"Dilandau!!" Then, she was gone.

An emptiness he'd never felt before filled his very soul. He was truly alone. Celena was gone.

The next few moments were a rapid blur as Dilandau burst the bonds and sprang from the table. As his breathing and senses returned to normal, he found several sorcerers dead on the floor, their necks broken. He picked himself up to his full height, looking like the spirit of Death itself, though his mind was in shambles. He cried out Celena's name again and again, but found nothing, not a trace of her was left. Rusent stood silent amid the shambles of the room that he had used as an operating room. Dilandau looked at him, a new light in his eyes. There was no fear anymore, there was nothing but acrimony and pure soul eating loathing that bit away at Dilandau's very being. He stared at the sorcerer, who stood calmly and showed no signs of worry, or even regret.

"The heavens will weep when they see what I've done to you." Dilandau stepped forward to tear to shreds that creature that stood before him, that thing that had taken everything he'd ever loved from him, that sorcerer who had taken away the part that had a future. But he stopped suddenly, the room cold.

The Sorcerer smiled.

Shouts from the halls broke the silent spell of the room, Dilandau cursed as Allen's voice rang clear through the halls. That damn knight hadn't even been able to save his little sister!! Dilandau roared he would have Rusent's blood, and threw himself out the window, rolling onto the ground below. Nothing broken, he threw a groom from the horse he was walking, and sprang on the beast's back, kicking it. It sped forward, and they disappeared into the shadows of the night.

Allen jumped out of the window in time to see the figure fading from sight.

"Celena!! Come back!!"

"That was Dilandau, not Celena." Rusent stood next to Allen, watching the groom pick himself up painfully and look at the dust eddies the horse had kicked up moments earlier. Allen looked at the sorcerer, panic not yet set in his voice.

"But she'll calm him down. They'll be back, then you can finish-"

"She's not there anymore, Sir Allen. That was Dilandau. They had merged so much that we had to guess which entity was which, and we chose the wrong one. That is Dilandau, and Dilandau alone." Allen fell to his knees.

"Celena.... God, NO!!" He fell forward, hitting the ground with his fists. "We came so close... and I lost you again! ...forever..."

"Not quite. There is a way to fix the spell, but we need to reach Dilandau quickly before anything happens to him. I suggest getting your airship ready; I will prepare what I need to cast the spell, and then meet you at your ship. Remember, time is of the essence." Allen nodded dumbly, then shot off into the house, calling the men who weren't there already and ordering them to prepare the Crusade. Within minutes, the airship took off into the night sky, and the house seemed strangely silent as it stood lit without any occupants save the shattered remains of the sorcerers. On the bridge of the airship, Hitomi left Van's side to speak to Allen.

"Allen.... Don't worry. Everything will be fine. I know it. Have faith in Dilandau, Allen. He knows what he has to do." Allen allowed a small smile of appreciation to how to the mysterious girl, and she gave him a hug in friendship. He sighed, looking out at the double moons that shone bright over the land.

"I hope you're right, Hitomi. I hope you're right."





*So, do you all love it or hate it?? Lemme know, k? R/R, or email me! SirLadySketch@hotmail.com Thanks!!*