Vision Of Escaflowne Fan Fiction ❯ When Escaflowne Rescued Trilladen ❯ Separations and Reunions ( Chapter 33 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Separations and Reunions.

**************

Chapter Eight

Mugwa watched the early morning's events. He sat in a plush seat of intricate tapestry depicting dragons and lilies in a garden and gazed into the fire warming his body in the cozy knowledge that he viewed Folken's escape from the dungeon with that cat girl. The eerie blue hue at the base of the fire revealed everything to him with a simple incantation. Then it was extinguished, though the fire roared cheerfully on.

He smiled inwardly and reached over to the table to clasp a crystal goblet filled with liquid the color of blood. It was thick and opaque as blood was, and his own shriveled body was in dire need of it. His new right hand man, Malachite quietly rapped on the door to enter Folken's former private quarters in the palace.

"Enter." Mugwa intoned.

"Sire, it is done. Strategos thinks he's escaped." Malachite informed.

Mugwa rolled his eyes upward and replied in a bored tone, "Well he has, in a manner of speaking. Things could still go wrong. He must board the floating fortress and expose its location before I'll breath easily. Send out the cloaked surveillance team." Mugwa lifted his free hand and carelessly waved off the sorcerer.

Malachite bowed and uttered a single acknowledgment before backing out of the room. "Sire."

**********************

Through a clearing in the trees Folken sensed the fortress hovering high above, cloaked and quiet, it's only give away the electromagnetic field that Folken had long ago been trained to be sensitive to. Behind him in the thicket he heard leaves softly rustle and his senses were immediately heightened to the danger. Merle's ears twitched as she picked it up too.

Folken spoke in a casual tone instructing Merle. "Look after Darius so that I can signal the fortress of our whereabouts." He leaned his feeble second into the shoulder and arms of an alarmed Merle. He heard a twig snap. It could've been a bombed exploding in his mind with the adrenaline pumping through his veins at a dangerous rate, his senses so alerted to the situation. He reacted so swiftly he became a blur in Merle's eyes.

Behind him was a band of soldiers spying them. Realizing they had been discovered all six of them began to use swift stealth in their retreat. Yet it was not to be for five of them. Folken was ruthless and deadly and fast. Not being armed made no difference. He'd been trained in the art of sorcery and used simple incantations to form weapons out of his hands. He bludgeoned and cut the spies down with one hand transforming into a hammer, the other a blade. The last man stood still, holding his bladder and daring not to breath, his back to a stalwart oak as sweat trickled down his spine.

Ripping apart the stealth cloaks that adorned the spy team he saw each of their faces and knew the face of one of the men at least. He was an underling of Malachite, a brown nosing sniveling fool that no one would mourn. Folken sighed heavily. He was being used as a pawn. This escape had been too easy. Folken remained still and listened carefully. Merle came bounding up to him.

"There's still another! He's getting away!" She hissed at him. She pointed in the direction of the last spy and Folken raced over there yelling a battle cry. The spy lost his nerve and fled in haste, fear stifling his ability to cry out his terror of death. And then there were no more spies as Folken spilled his blood.

Without remorse or a second thought to his deeds, and looking quite annoyed, he snapped at her, "We must hurry, there will be more!" Grabbing her arm he lead her to Darius and in the dawning new light that faintly imbued the horizon, he disrobed to reveal his muscular torso, grabbed Darius and lifted him into his arms. Merle was amazed at Folken's strength. Black wings sprang out from between his shoulder blades and he lifted up into the sky flying toward an invisible fortress.

Merle was alone. He'd left her standing there. Her heart was completely shattered. It made sense though. Who was she really, but someone Balgus had felt sorry for all those years ago when her parents died. Van cared for her genuinely, but Folken's interest in her must've waned.

Her ears picked up sounds and noises from the forest and she began to feel anxious, wondering why he'd not reassured her. The forest within was as black as midnight, only the dawn's new light offered light at the clearing. An owl screeched and she jumped out of her skin. Not believing that Folken would return for her she ran back into the forest, hoping the darkness therein would shield her from soldiers. Realizing that she should stay clear of humans, she climbed a thick oak tree to transfer from one branch to the next high above the ground heading north.

Her cat like agility helped her to move swiftly and quietly through the rooftop of the forest via branches of thick oaks that cradled the mountain range to the north. Her thoughts painfully seared her mind and heart. He left me behind. I can't believe he left me behind. I can't believe he left me.

She hurt as she never had before. The pain would have crippled her had she the luxury of curling up where she was and stopping still for an eternity. Yet she had to move on. She wouldn't survive the night in Zaibach. She sensed humans on the forest floor searching for her, searching for Folken, though she could not see them.

Knowing that she must escape or die she remained still and hid in the leaves and branches. The rustling sounds below faded away. Staying close to the green canvas of leaves she slowly began her journey north again. She could sleep and hunt in the lush forest. She would be safe. If only she didn't want so much to die, for her heart was broken so badly she didn't think she'd ever recover.

It would takes several weeks to reach safe ground, if there is such a place now on Gaea. Tears welled up in her eyes and she angrily wiped them away with the back of her hand. Where was safe ground? Folken left the others on the outpost of Vren. Allen was with Van. Hitomi was with the princess Edwina. Only the gods know where a cat woman of fifteen rotations could go and be safe.

Then she had a thought. Ispania was a remote country nestled on a peninsula that was separated by the rest of Gaea by a mountain range so rugged and dangerous that it was just impractical to make many journeys to the isolated country. Van was there, so was Hitomi and the princess. Heading north was the start of a journey that would reunite her with those who truly cared for her. With new purpose and drive she spurred on to her ultimate destination.

*********************************************************** ****************

The floating fortress had been astonished to see Lord Folken flying up with Darius. Yet they were accustomed to his autocratic persona and as soon as he began to give urgent directives to his soldiers, the entire fortress became a military might that knew how to deliver death. He knew that he'd given the position of the fortress away as soon as he was spotted soaring through the sky. To divert a frontal assault, he'd set off a counter attack led by stealth guymelefs that would fly with at rocket speed to the capital's palace and strategic military sights.

With the fortress still cloaked, he did a daring and unexpected maneuver. Because the fortress was very high in the sky, he ordered the levistone base to be heated while directing all rudders to give the fortress a quick slanted dive. The fortress dove at an excelled pace, aimed at the clearing in the fortress where he'd slain those soldiers while his attack force kept the capital busy in a skirmish. And there he vowed he would remain until he found Merle for he would not leave without her.

"Sir, sickbay reports that Darius is doing well. Percival requests your presence, as the girl Celena is being troublesome and needed to be restrained." A bridge commander informed his liege.

"Send out a search party for the Lady Merle. I must have her back before we rendezvous with the special alseidist forces at the border of Ispania. Even if I have to leave her there under lock and key to keep her safe, then that's what I will do." Anger and concern seeping into his voice.

******************************************************

Van was ushered into the palace with guards and short stubby engineers following behind him. His height dwarfed the small people and his kingly manner commanded respect. He was led to the Prime Minister Ryo and the Baroness of Ispania at court. The day was young and Van hadn't slept, worried was he for his beloved Hitomi. The Baroness regally nodded her head to King Van from her own gilded throne.

"Your Excellency, I humbly thank you for this audience on such short notice." He began.

"We are most curious as to your dramatic entrance into our peaceful country, King Van. Have you a quarrel with us, your ally of many eras past?" She spoke with a strange and exotic accent.

He looked at her with hooded eyes, she was frail looking, but looks could be deceiving. Her hair was white, bound tightly at the nape of her neck, framing her face in a harsh setting with aging chiseled features. Her robe was the deepest royal blue and shimmered. Trimmed in white fox at the hem she looked almost bound down by it's sheer volume.

"My queen has been taken hostage aboard your mother factory ship. She along with the Princess Edwina are held there against there own will by rogue peasants of Freid."

"We are aware of this and stand ready to reunite you with your queen." She looked to someone behind King Van and nodded, a smirk on her face. Van was stunned into silence.

Shortly thereafter, Queen Hitomi and the Princess Edwina were ushered into court with a heavy guard. Upon seeing Van, Hitomi ran to him crying out his name. "Van!"

"Hitomi!" He raced to meet her, arms outstretched. He clasped her tightly into his embrace, his mind racing. She looks tired but well. More importantly, she looked happy and was safe in his arms. Holding her tightly, he closed his eyes and breathed in the fragrance of her hair. Then he shuddered from a deep sigh of relief.

Hitomi felt his body's tension ease and melted into him even closer. Tears running down her face. They were interrupted by an infant's whimpering. Princess Edwina was holding a baby boy. She tried to soothe him while walking up slowly to meet King Van.

"Hush now, baby Han, I'm here." Waving at a servant standing further behind, the young nanny shyly walked up and gave the princess a bottle of milk. She looked serene and happy while holding her precious bundle.

"Where did that child come from?" King Van asked Hitomi as he released her.

"The baby's mother is dead. She was the peasant woman from Freid. We delivered her son, but she didn't survive. Stephanie, the boy's mother, was unable to name him so Edwina decided to name him after her father. The children of Freid have turned up missing and there were crystals that sprouted out of the earth with images showing Ispanian soldiers kidnapping them in the dark of night, aided by the wolf clan. Stephanie told us about it. They only wanted to rescue their children who were stolen from them." Hitomi explained.

The Baroness upon hearing this spoke up. "We have seen images of children in mysterious green crystals that were born out of the ground. These same children are being rescued as refugees. Our heart is poured out to them with sympathy and love. We shall succor them as our own."

"These crystals, I wouldn't be surprised if they are the work of Mugwa." Van offered. "It seems they are laced with half truths to play upon the emotions of those who watch them." Pausing Van asked, "Where's Allen? We must meet up again with my brother."

"We sent him to rescue Chid. He was dying and needed to be looked after immediately." Princess Edwina informed him.

"But how?" Van asked as he took hold of her hand.

"I don't know exactly how we did it. Princess Edwina has much more knowledge of these pendants. We simply combined our energy together to help Allen. We don't quite know where he is exactly, but he's with Chid, and that's on the Island of Trilladen where Helliese was killed."

"You have a strange and remarkable power, Majesty." The Baroness joined in. "These crystals have an evil force behind them to lay the blame of such crime at our feet. We are peaceful nation that loves our children. We must resolve this and quickly. But for now, with the Queen's own delicate condition in mind, I ask that you be my guests at dinner where we can further discuss these developments."

Van and Hitomi were shown to a suite that was luxurious and spacious. The room was opulent and yet warm with fresh flowers in stunning arrangements on tables and dressers through out. The bed was huge and inviting. He looked at it with longing, for he was exhausted. Reading his thoughts Hitomi walked up to her husband and wrapped her arms around his waist.

"I love you. I know you would come for me." She closed her eyes and rested her cheek upon his chest. Then she backed away from him and took his hands leading him to the bed. He allowed her to lead him to the bed as a smile turned the corners of his mouth.

In the adjacent suite Edwina cooed and soothed her new charge. The infant was bald, but his blue eyes were very alert for a newborn. She was in love. This child is on orphan now, and needs my love. I do love you, sweet baby Han. I am so glad I was there when you came into this world. I won't anything happen to you. I'll protect you all the days of my life.

The door was wrapped upon lightly and a young maid entered. "Majesty, the Baroness requests an audience with before dinner. You are to be escorted to her private court hearings after noon sup. I will take you there myself." The pretty young bowed and backed out of the doorway.

Edwina was left alone to ponder what the Baroness would want with her, but only for a few moments, for Han was a demanding child. For the life of her, Edwina could not find it in her heart to put the child down in his bassinet, but held him constantly, humming the sweet lullaby she'd grown up with from her own mother. With a sudden fierce longing she wished she could she see her own mother, having so many questions now. Her heart ached for Allen as well.

Before realizing what was happening, the magenta jewel of the pendant began to glow. Then a bright light filled the entire room lifting both princess and baby Han just off the ground gently. Then she disappeared with him completely. No one even noticed her departure.

Butterflies raced through her belly. The babe stopped whimpering for milk and became quite still. His eyes widely opened as he too experienced the strange electrical current that manipulated the space around their bodies. Within moments the walls of the palace fell away before them, clouds and mist caressed their cheeks, wetting them softly with the chill. Then clay walls appeared to materialize all around them. The white light became so brilliant that it became impossible to see beyond a few feet. She closed her eyes and protectively covered Han's face as she felt the unexpected solid floor beneath her feet. Then the light faded away and princess and babe were left standing there with a stunned audience.

The place was the humble home of Erica of the house of Dan. The audience...the King and Queen of Trilladen, Erica, Allen Schezar, and a hand full of villagers all returning from a somber funeral. Helliese's body had been cast out to sea on a raft while prayers were softly uttered by grief stricken on-lookers. Then the raft was set to fire as it drifted further out. The swift under currents would scattered the ashes long before reaching the Vast Waters of Violence that separated all the rest of Gaea.

"EDWINA! MY CHILD!" Queen Natalia shouted for joy and ran over to carefully hug her daughter holding the baby. "I missed you so...and worried every moment. Oh I'm so glad you're home!"

The King walked swiftly over to the center of the room and embraced both women as tears freely fell from his face. "I thank our ancestors and the gods that my family is intact and for now we are safe." His voice was choked with emotion.

Silently, with gladness and longing fringing Allen's eyes filled with tenderness as he watched his wife and smiled. She was safe. The baby whimpered his annoyance at the crouding in around him. The three royals released their joyful embrace one to another and stared down at the noisy imp. Edwina's face glowed with motherly love and pride. Her heart claimed this small one as her own child.

Allen's smile broadened and mischievous twinkle lit up his eyes. "It would appear that formal introductions are in order." Edwina looked up sharply to meet the sweet loving gaze of her husband.

"My love!" She spoke out to him, her eyes awash with fresh tears. She missed him so that a constant ache that felt like a heavy rock in her heart rose up to the base of her throat. Now though it could be released with her spoken endearment. "I missed you so much!"

Never letting his eyes off of her he slowly walked up to her, savoring the vision of her in every moment passed. When he reached her his arms stretched out to take hold of her and the child as well. He looked down at him.

"Who is this child and when did he come to be ours?" He smiled down at the baby and his eyes softened at the sight of the precious bundle.

"The pregnant woman who was with the group of refugees from Freid, she died giving birth to him. I helped bring him into this world, and now he needs me to love him." It was an unspoken request and it was her tone of voice that reached Allen before her words.

"Then he needs a father as well. I was not able to be a good father to Chid, perhaps it is the gods wish for my restitution to be this sweet." He looked into her eyes, smiling. "He needs me to love him as well."

Queen Natalia and King Han watched the exchange wide eyed. Erica, unaware that 'Prince Edward' was really Princess Edwina was shocked and speechless as were the other villagers present. "Majesty? The Prince?" Some found themselves almost asking.

Allen's arm went around Edwina's waist possessively. "She is my wife. I claimed her as such some time ago. I have been protecting her since I first discovered her when she was disguised as a boy. I beg your forgiveness for not telling you sooner, Majesties. I just felt is was best to wait until after proper respect had been shown to Helliese and the task of her funeral was behind us."

"You mean all this time, you knew my daughter was safe, that we are in fact now your parents by law, and you kept this from us until now?" King Han thundered. "You have a son, sir knight, sleeping in the next room, recovering from near fatal exhaustion. Explain yourself." He demanded tersely.

Stealing himself for the inevitable recriminations to come Allen spoke softly of his history with Princess Marlene. "When I was very young I lost my parents and my sister. I was alone in the world, so I became a mercenary. That was when Balgus found me. He challenged me to a duel and I lost. After that he became my sword master and taught me discipline and trained me in the ways of the military."

"Because my family is aristocratic it was expected of me as the first born son to swear fealty to the King of Asturia and defend her borders as a soldier. The training Balgus gave me helped me to excel and I was chosen to train to become an officer. Eventually I was knighted to the order of the Heavens, a knight Caeli."

"Only twelve officers are appointed such a position in the kingdom, and I was the youngest officer in history to be honored with such a title. At sixteen I was given charge to be a royal guard to the Princess Marlene. We fell in love before she was ever betrothed to the Duke of Freid. We were young and impassioned and succumbed to our feelings for one another."

Pausing to take a breath Allen solemnly spoke further. "Chid is my son, I am his father, but it was the Duke of Freid who raised him as his own. By the time Marlene was formally betrothed we had become lovers. If there had been a way for us to publicly proclaim our intentions to be a couple we would have seized it. But a nation's alliance is a very huge obstacle for any young couple in love, and ours was forbidden because of the ties that bound Marlene to Freid."

Looking into Edwina's eyes with a pained expression the words tore out of his throat. "She was already with child when she was married off to the Duke of Freid. I couldn't stop the wedding then, but her life was lived with happiness and love. Were it not so, Chid would not be the extraordinary leader of two nations, both Freid and Asturia. The Duke was deeply devoted to Marlene from the first, and he didn't care that Chid was not his son by blood. Chid was raised with love and true fatherly guidance provided by the Duke of Freid, and for that I am grateful."

"Your daughter, the Princess Edwina was under my protection from the moment I first discovered her. When I found her she was disguised as a boy and was very exhausted and was badly beaten and bruised. She was lying face down in mud. What ordeals she endured to make it as far as the outpost in Vren, I have yet to discover. Helliese was summoned to tend to her when I brought her back with me to the outpost. From that day forth I have devoted myself to her safety. I love her and have claimed her as my bride as a Knight Caeli." Allen squarely faced King Han and waited for his verdict.

The king swallowed hard and paced his breathing to calm his racing heart. The queen stepped up to Allen and put her arms around him and kissed his cheek. "I welcome you as my son into my heart. I can see how deeply my daughter loves you and that is all I need to be at peace with your union." She smiled up into his handsome face with pride and acceptance and turned to face her husband. He looked entirely disgruntled.

"I expected I would be at my own daughter's wedding." He grumbled.

"We will simply have them renew their vows with another ceremony in the temple once this sordid business with Mugwa has been swept away and we've had time to purify the temple of the evil done there." Natalia offered the solution.

Edwina shifted her weight uncomfortably and looked down at her new son. Her cheeks turned crimson and she cleared her throat. "Father? I have something I must say to you."

"What is it, my child?" King Han asked in a gentler tone.

"There was no ceremony. No formal vows were spoken actually. In Asuturia, a Knight Caeli can simply claim a woman to be his wife, through her consent, of course." She ended quickly.

King Han's face went purple with rage and he marched out of the house through the front door, stomping loudly. The hushed shocked small party in Erica's house followed his movements out of the house. It was then that everyone noticed Chid standing by the doorway to the next room. He'd heard every word spoken as evidenced by the look on his face. His eyes were open wide, yet dulled looking as if he'd fallen into a daze. He stared down at the floor in front of him. His mouth was open and frozen in place. His face was white with shock and the exertion of just standing. And then he slumped forward. Allen rushed up and caught him in his arms and hugged him tightly before picking him up and carrying him back to bed to sleep.

The queen walked out to find her husband, a terrible look of concern on her face. Edwina's head bent low with shame and sorrow because she knew she had become a disappointment to her father. Tears formed in her eyes but never were shed. She stood there looking down at baby Han, holding him snugly against her grieved heart.

Allen walked back into the room and up to Edwina and held her carefully to him. He kissed her softly and quietly on her ear and whispered something meant only for her. He wasn't about to let her go. Looking up at him he saw her unshed tears and held her face gently in his hands. With his thumbs he softly caressed her eyelids and rubbed away her tears kissing her forehead.

"I promise, my love, everything will turn out fine, just fine. I swear it. I won't let Mugwa succeed in destroying this world, and I won't let anything in this world or the next, ever come between us." He said loud enough for everyone to hear.

"I should check on your son, Chid, to see if I can be a help to him." She looked up into his eyes trying to show him with her own eyes and her words that she totally accepted Chid and that she was grateful for his comfort.

The King stormed back into the house and confronted Allen. "By what right, do you, Knight Caeli, consider it your privilege to claim a royal princess of Trilladen, daughter of Atlantis, to be your common wife?"

With a hint of threat in his calm tone and staring King Han down, Allen replied. "I considered it my duty to protect her as a Knight Caeli because she is a princess. I considered it an honor and a privilege to claim her as my wife because I simply will not live my life without her."

The King thundered back in response. "And do you think this farce will hold? Do you think you will ever be treated as an heir, a prince, and the future leader of Trilladen? Do you think your claim will be legitimate in the eyes of my people, whom you plan to rule?"

Allen blinked once, then twice. Realizing the king's position he could only answer truthfully. "I never planned to rule any country, only to love Edwina through out my life. Family is very important to me, having lost mine as a youth. I would not wish to distress my wife's family, be they peasant or king."

It was the king's turn to be at a loss for words. So the queen stepped in to make peace between the men. Walking up to her husband and taking his hand, she looked to Allen gravely and spoke carefully her next words.

"You were once a Knight of Caeli, but now you must be a prince of Trilladen. If you truly plan to be wed to my daughter-in a formal religious ceremony that endorses your claim, your first loyalty must be to Trilladen and her safety. You must swear fealty to His Majesty and give up all ties that would bind you to distant shores. Do you understand these implications?"

Allen's eyes became slits, his voice stubborn. "I am a Knight of Asturia, your Majesty. I was born and raised a loyal subject, as was my father before me. My country's capital was destroyed-I think at Mugwa's behest. I will not abandon my native country in her hour of need. Nor will I give up my claim to your daughter. She is mine."

Princess Edwina walked back into the room. She looked tired. She had imparted her strength to Chid and took on his weakness, but only a portion of it and Chid slept peacefully because of it. She was learning to control her powers. She looked up at Allen and smiled sweetly at him and looked at her mother with a twinkle in her eyes.

"Isn't he the most infuriating man you've ever met?" Edwina's smile broadened after asking her mother this question.

"I don't know. It's a toss up between your father and my new son-in-law, I think." The queen responded smiling. "But still, for me, this is a joyous moment, and that, my dear child, is a miracle considering the terrible trouble we face."

Allen agreed. "I am grateful that I have her love, Your Majesty. But since I am on this Island, I wish to learn everything I can. It is the only way to help defeat Mugwa, and since I am a warrior, it is inevitable that I will have to confront him. I need to know my enemy.

The king informed Allen tensely. "That will be somewhat of a difficulty. We have been at peace to give funeral rights to Helliese so I don't think he's on the island. However, I also believe he had to relinquish hold on his power to control the gates of Atlantis, otherwise my daughter would not have been able to transport back to us. He must need to invest his energy and powers in other matters or spread himself too thin. He is not omnipotent, even though he's awakened the Green Dragon, controlling it must be very taxing for him. We can use this."

Allen beseeched the King calmly. "I humbly request, Your Majesty, that you put your personal feelings completely aside and help me. It is clear that you have very valuable knowledge that would help our allies. It was, after all, your intention to unite Gaea against Mugwa."

"Thus far, there have been events that have divided nations against one another. Countries who have ordinarily been allies through the centuries are now at odds with each other. It is believed that Basram was responsible for the destruction of Asturia-a traditionally friendly country. And the people of Freid have behaved in a violent manner, kidnapping the Queen of Fanelia-as well as your own daughter, whom they have no quarrel with."

"If Mugwa is not here at this Island, then it is our first order of business to regain any grounds lost here on this island. Can we not search through his belongings, the temple, or anywhere else where there might be clues to his next move? At any rate, there are a handful of your subjects who survived the battle they fought as Mugwa's griffins. Most died when Helliese changed them back, the process was too painful, I believe. But they will want to return and help rebuild once we overcome the danger of Mugwa."

The King replied. "What makes you so sure we will be able to defeat Mugwa?"

"We will because there is no other option. If Gaea and the Mystic Moon, the home where the Queen of Fanelia came from, are to continue on, we must defeat him." Allen stated matter of factly."

"According to my country's laws I am recognized as Edwina's husband. I realize that this news comes as a shock to you, and when we first met, I didn't know you were the King. It wasn't until we came down the mountain with Helliese's body and Erica rushed out to help you that I realized your identity. By then, the need to honor and respect her life and to deal with our own grief seemed more pressing at the time. It has always been my intention to seek your approval. But in all frankness, I will never give her up." Allen ended with a resolute sigh and lifted his chin defiantly.

The king studied his new son-in-law carefully. He looked at his wife and then to his daughter who walked over to stand behind Allen. Breathing in deeply he came to a decision. "We will take back our temple, cleanse it and you will be formally wed in a religious ceremony according to our ancient customs. When this is over, I fully expect you to return here, with my daughter and however many children you've issued from this union and take up the mantle of responsibility as my son. Do not disappoint me."

Allen looked visibly relieved which delighted the King to no end. Princess Edwina smiled brightly and laughed out loud. There would be many words spoken between the two royal couples. Insights would be won by this exchange of information that would greatly rise up the hopes of all whom still lived and fought for the side of freedom. A King's perspective would enhance the strategies of a beleaguered continent hell bent on surviving the natural disasters that everyday rocked its foundation while a mad man planned the deaths of all whom he deemed unworthy to live.

Chapter Nine in less than a week's time entitled...

Bittersweet Embrace.