Vision Of Escaflowne Fan Fiction ❯ When Escaflowne Rescued Trilladen ❯ Hope For A Reunion ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

***********************
CHAPTER THREE
HOPE FOR A REUNION

The next few days that followed found the palace quietly bustling about behind the scenes while all those who knew of the grave new developments put up a facade of carefree joviality for the rest. It was unsettling to Merle and reassuring to Prince Edward. The two had become fierce friends and cohorts in concocting a plan to include Merle in this great adventure. Merle had a calming affect on the prince and Van took note of it, wondering at the crush the young prince was developing for the cat-girl.
T
he two were inseparable, that is, they were when Allen wasn't training the poor boy at a grueling pace. Allen was exasperated with him. He couldn't fathom a crown prince not being intimately familiar with the art of warfare. In Asturia it was a must for all noblemen and the sons of the aristocracy. In Trilladen it was as unfamiliar a notion as seeing a singular wispy moth devour a land dragon. What are the odds of that ever happening? A pesky insect the size of a loaf of bread gorging himself on the most feared animal in all of Gaea.
V
an was becoming impatient with Allen who seemed to be overly concerned with the boy's goings on. Van was grateful that Merle seemed to comfort him. For all of Van's facade of being autocratic, harsh, and unapproachable at times, his heart was that of a compassionate king, very involved with the people of Fanelia.
A
llen and Van were in the king's private quarters discussing their strategy and going over all possible contingencies and options.
"If we could find a way to utilize the pendants to bring Hitomi back, we could keep her under safe guard while we launch a campaign against Mugwa. He shouldn't be too hard to defeat as Trilladen has no recent knowledge of war. They would be completely unprepared for a siege." Van said.
"The violent vast waters would have to be crossed which would be extremely hazardous. We have access to a Zaibach floating fortress. We have but to inform Folken of our need for one. It is the unknown power of the scrolls that has me worried. I don't want you to underestimate the people of Trilladen, or the resourcefulness of a ruthless Tyrant.
"We must employ subterfuge, release spies, and gain the advantage of knowing our enemy's weakness. As of now, we know nothing. Spies should be posted at all eastern most cities in the kingdom of Zaibach. You and I must train Prince Edward to at least be able to defend himself for the trip, and we will need provisions along the way. I suggest a disguise as pilgrims on a Holy Journey to the temple. We would need to rebuild the floating fortress and turn it into the semblance of a passenger ship, or a cargo transport." Allen said and then changing the subject he continued on.
"I have already sent a dispatch to my outpost to be on alert for anything suspicious. I trained Gaddes to be my second for this mission. I have faith that he will be diligent patrolling the territory. He has been informed only that a grave danger threatens the borders of the seized territory, but he will keep the soldiers on alert." Allen explained.
"But if we could just get Hitomi back we could buy time for a royal symposium and form an alliance of kingdoms against war." Van offered.
"We have no way of communicating with her much less transporting her safely to our world. I know how you long to see her, my friend. I miss her as well, but 'if' carries a lot of weight for being such a small word. " Allen responded.
A
dark look crossed over Van's face at that. Jealousy wasn't a handsome trait in a king. He put his feelings aside and replied in a determined manner. "We must try, if not for her sake, then for all of Gaea!" With this Van walked out of his room and summoned a guard to bring his generals and the prince to him-discreetly.
A
llen kept his head bent down in deep thought. Hitomi's face floated through his mind as he realized he couldn't live with himself if he didn't try to retrieve her from the Mystic Moon. She may belong to Van, but a large portion of Allen's heart was also under siege.
***********************
"It's suicide, not to mention impossible! Only two outsiders have ever been known to visit Trilladen, and that was decades ago." Prince Edward was shouting.
A
llen remained composed while Van wanted to ring the boy's neck! "What else is there to do? Sit back and wait for Mugwa to destroy us! We have to try! You have to try! It is your duty as a crown prince to protect and defend your people when they are threatened as they are!" Van blurted out.
P
rince Edward's reddened face exposed how embarrassed and ashamed he was of himself. He bent his head down and kept his eyes on the toe of his boot. Suddenly Merle bounded through the door and leaped into Van's lap. Allen smiled indulgently while Van tried to get her to stop licking his face. "Stop that! I don't need a bath! Merle!" Van was yelling at her.
P
rince Edward stifled a giggle as General Pauk cleared his throat. Generals Shinyo and Jarvis waited impatiently as Merle lavished Van with affection. She bounded off his lap, grabbed Prince Edward's hand, and led him off to a corner to whisper something in his ear. They both giggled when she finished with her secret and before any of the men could stop them they ran out of the room.
A
llen rose to get the boy back but was stopped by Van. "Let him go! He's of no use to us right now anyway." Said Van.
A
llen hesitated before complying. He was determined to toughen the prince up for the many dangers that await them.
"He's too soft! When I was his age I had already won my first Guymelef match at the Harvest festival tournament. I was knighted just four short years later. By sixteen, I was in the King's service as one of his trusted personal guards for the royal family. I can't imagine being so silly-minded after bearing such disturbing tidings." Allen interjected. "He's too girlish. If it wasn't for the crush he has on Merle, I'd wonder about him." Allen shook his head as if in a fog.
V
an smiled. "Trilladen must be a strange place indeed: no military, an insane high priest, a temple that communicates to the citizens through 'revelation', a prince more interested in playing tag with a girl rather than train to be a defending king one day."
"We have to work on him. He's just a child at heart, but he's going to have to grow up fast! We need him for this mission if we are to succeed." Allen stated.
G
eneral Shinyo commented, "We need to teach him the basics first. The boy doesn't even know what wrestling is. I had one of the men challenge him to a friendly match, and he's never even heard of it! How do the people of Trilladen stay fit? It's a disgrace, I tell you!"
G
eneral Jarvis joined in, "Allen, you earned your spurs as a master of the art, and since you have taken it upon yourself to train the boy, why don't you supervise his education in this? He's utterly useless as a warrior!"
A
llen nodded his head while Van almost felt sorry for the boy. He was about that age when rumors of Folken's disgrace had surfaced. He was Fanelia's hope, and the burden had been very heavy for him at that age. He wanted to be just another child at school, not to be king. While other boys were at play, Balgus was putting him through rigorous training. The beloved sword master had taken Folken's failure as his own, Van suspected.
***********************
Merle and Prince Edward had gone exploring. Merle took him to the ruins of the temple that had not yet been rebuilt since the Great War. She wanted to show him Escaflowne, so she and the boy sneaked past the praying monks and into the holding cell of the great Guymelef.
A
s they walked closer to it Prince Edward's pendant began to pulsate. It startled him.
"What's happening?" Merle asked.
"I don't know! This isn't supposed to be possible anymore, not since Mugwa had somehow blocked the pendant's energy! We've got to get the King!"
T
hey both ran out of the holding cell and around the disgruntled monks. Ignoring the yells of an angry sentry, they headed straight to his private quarters and interrupted General Jarvis.
"You have to come with us! Something is happening to Escaflowne and my pendant! We have to figure it out!" Prince Edward implored.
T
hey all headed for the door as Van's heart beat wildly in his chest with hope.
***********************