Vision Of Escaflowne Fan Fiction ❯ When Escaflowne Rescued Trilladen ❯ Allen's Discovery ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

When Escaflowne Rescued Trilladen

by Jean Bess

Escaflowne belongs to the folks in Japan who have 'kewl' anime for us. You know, BANDAI and Sunrise? This Trilladen story is from my imagination. Prince Edward and other characters not in the original series of THE VISION OF ESCAFLOWNE are from my head too. They and this story alone belong to me. Thank you to those talented artists in Japan who give people like me, with no life, something to do and look forward to. Wonderful stuff, not since Tolken have I been this impressed with a fantasy plot. This one even has a touch of romance, something lacking in the Hobbit.

I am writing, not replace or steal artistic talent from those whose talents I truly respect, but to salute them. No funds have been exchanged and I gratefully acknowledge the genius behind Escaflowne. I am using words from my head combined with that said genius to continue in some small way a truly magnificent Anime.

Chapter One: Allen's discovery

***********************

Allen was riding through the new territories of the outpost surrendered by the Zaibach Empire. As the commander he was responsible for safety routes for pilgrims and refugees alike. While on patrol he came across a young boy, probably a refugee by the looks of him. He had to be about 12 years old.

Allen dismounted and walked over to the collapsed boy. He was obviously in need of all the basic necessities of life-sleep, food, a bath. Allen vacillated between revulsion and concern for the boy who was pitiful indeed, but the stench!

He wondered what could have happened to the boy's parents. He took off his surcoat and carefully wrapped the boy in it and lifted him up to his mount to begin the journey back to the outpost. He tried not to jostle him as he looked as if he had been through far too much. Another motivating factor was the more the boy remained still, the less Allen smelled of him.

As he approached the gate to the outpost he barked an order. "Gaddes, bring me the healer! We have a patient for her!" Allen commanded. He carefully dismounted his stead and took the boy to the soldier's barracks as there was no where else to put him.

"What have you found there?" Gaddes asked.

"This boy was lying face down in the mud. He looks a bit like death warmed over. I can't imagine what he's been through. There wasn't any sign of his parents anywhere. He looks half starved. I don't know if the healer can do anything for him, but we've got to try."

Gaddes left immediately to find the healer. Allen covered the boy up with a warm woolen blanket. The boy had jet-black hair, like Van's, Allen noted. He was grubby from head to toe. His skin was brown and black and blue with bruises and grime. He looked like the first born child of filth itself. Before the boy was clean it would be difficult to tell what he truly looked like.

A quiet moan escaped the boy. He opened his deep purple eyes fringed thickly with long dark lashes and startled Allen with their intensity. The boy tried to talk, but Allen shushed him.

"Hush now, don't talk. It'll be all right. We're here to help. You are safe now." Allen stayed with him until the healer arrived.

After a while the healer did come to look over the boy. Her name was Helliese, and she was a craggy old witch of a woman with silver hair and one red and one blind white eye. To most she was scary. To the few who really knew her, she was heaven sent. She hobbled over to her patient lying unconscious on the bed and clucked her tongue. She leaned over to listen to her patient's breathing. The huge hump on her back looking all the more pronounced as she did so. Her cackling voice whipped out an order to Allen.

"Leave me alone to look after my patient in privacy. I will need to examine him carefully. He has a wound on his body somewhere. I don't know where. I only have bad eyes to see with. He's emoting an energy force diluted with pain and I'll see to him better alone! Be gone!" She shooed Heaven's Knight away like a naughty child while grumbling to herself. "Warriors are the stupidest creatures on all of Gaea. Not a one has enough brains to do anything else but swoosh swords high above their high heads like idiots and lunatics. Go get the healer, she'll take care of that gash! Sure I will! I'll smash your head open to see where you hid your good sense not to act like squabbling children! Oh! Oh! Ho- ho no! I'm no better than they are. Hee- hee!"

Helliese hands fumbled through the folds of her voluminous white robe that all those who practiced the healing arts wore. Dozens of inner pockets lined that robe and stashed away were herbs and concoctions making her smell foil, bitter and medicinal. Allen was glad to make a hasty retreat from her disagreeable company.

"Ah, here it is, just what I need." From the folds of her white healer's robe she procured a greenish blue broad leaf with a pungent smell to it. With her gnarled bony hands she held the leaf right under Prince Edward's nose and ripped it to shreds. The poor young thing suddenly coughed, spat, and hacked in revulsion, turning his head away from the offending order.

Weakly he opened his eyes to behold the ugliest woman he'd ever want to see. The look on his face was one of horror mixed with pity. Helliese cackled joyfully and greeted her patient. "Welcome back to us. Where do you hurt the most? Here?" She poked Prince Edward's left shoulder and just below his neck.

"Ow! Stop that!" Prince Edward commanded.

Helliese shook her head woefully. This young imp is in sorry shape! I'll have to take a look at it. Probably got bit by a wispy moth. She began to take Prince Edward's waist shirt off.

"Stop that! I don't need you to do that!" Prince Edward feebly attempted to hold his shirt on, but was too weak to win the battle. Helliese removed the shirt entirely and without as much as a by-your-leave began poking and prodding the infected welt that had long since scabbed over with dried blood. Prince Edward held his breath and waited for her to finish her examination.

"Yep, I was right. Wispy moth bit you. Damned lucky you are to just have one bite at this time in the sun's rotation. Those pesky bugs are mating this time of season, and it's not safe to wonder out at night. What were you doing out without a proper escort? Don't have any more do you? Here eat this."

She shoved something that resembled dog poop into his mouth and he gagged. "Eat all of it! Don't spit like that! Show some manners! Do you know how much trouble it is to collect that ingredient? It's supposed to taste like crap! It is crap! Oh that's a pretty necklace, can I hold it?" Her quick hands weren't quite fast enough for the Prince turned his body away to avoid her from touching what dangled from around his neck.

"No need to get all huffy. Wasn't going to pilfer the damned thing. Haven't seen one in a long time, that's all. Your secret's safe with me. Doctor-patient bond of trust thing. If you're going to wonder off at night during this season wear some of this. The bugs hate the way it smells. Can't say as I blame them. No, don't smell it yourself! Oh hells bells!" Helliese held up her patient as he retched dry heaves from the evil stench coming from the evil pouch given to him by the evil humored healer.

"You got no more sense than a strapping warrior-in-training getting his heat up for his first geymelef match. You're certainly dressed for the part too. When's the last time you bathed? Just because you look like a ruffian vagabond, doesn't mean you got to smell like one. Here eat this!" This time Prince Edward didn't move fast enough and got raw dried meat and herbs that were rolled in a ball shoved in his mouth.

Trying not to hack overly much, the boy's eyes teared up as he chewed the leathery nourishment. Whatever animal flesh he was consuming, it had been dead too long. Still, eating it was far preferable to listening to the witch's grating voice irritate every fine bone in his eardrum. She slowly hoisted her plump body off the chair next to his bed and hobbled over to the table next to the fireplace. She picked up a pewter pitcher and mug and filled the mug with ale and hobbled back to her patient.

"Drink this. It's not water; it's ale. Probably stale, but better than not. Drink it all. You are going to have to drink a lot of this stuff and eat some more of the pinnoatu balls just like that one you're trying not to swallow, that I've made up. You think old Helliese is getting daft in her dotage? I know what you're trying to do! Swallow! No don't worry, it's got no worms in it. Young uns!" She huffed and hobbled around him working her magic healing arts and cursing and mumbling to herself.

"Why are you dressed like this anyway? And how come you're so skinny? Seems to me you should be fatter! Oh never mind. Youthful fools abound these days. Bloody hell! Where did you get that bruise? There isn't a wispy moth big enough, flying fast enough to slam into your chest hard enough to leave you that black and blue. Here, drink some more."

She was examining the huge bruise the size of a man's fist underneath his right collarbone. Prince Edward flinched and spilled the ale all over the bed when she pressed down on it. He set the mug down on the table next to the bed and laid down feeling exhausted.

She started pressing down on her patient's abdomen and a relieved look on her face showed that no further injuries inflicted him.

She started rummaging through her robes again and brought out a long cottony bandage and gave it to him. "Here, you're going to need this soon. And don't forget to keep that pouch closed and keep it with you at all times. In about a fortnight, that pouch won't do you any good. It'll be dragon mating season next and that smell sets them off! Throw it away before the Moon and the Mystic Moon hang just south of the highest tip of the Mountain range that leads to Fanelia." Helliese rambled on.

"That's where you were headed, isn't it? Thought so. Tell Van I can't make it to his kingdom until after the dragon-mating season. And maybe you should think about trusting Allen Schezar a little more with your secret. He's daft as Knights go, and stuffy too, but his heart is good. He'll help you." With that she put Prince Edward's waist shirt back on and covered him up with a woolly blanket.

Prince Edward nodded dumbly in response and feeling a bit spooked that the witch seemed to know so much.

She hoisted herself out of the chair and leaned over to whisper in Prince Edward's ear. It was a magical chant that set him to sleep instantly. She chuckled and hobbled over to the door and bellowed loudly for Allen to get back here and tend to his guest. From the dark shadows of the hallway Allen's perfect handsome form emerged and with an eloquent bow to the old hag, who chuckled, walked over to the chair by the bed and sat down to start his vigil for the rest of the night.

Helliese hobbled over to Allen and handed him a small pouch. "When he wakes up give him this. It's just dried spices and beans ground up to make broth gruel soup, but it will help him get his strength back quicker. Take equal parts of boiling water to this and put it in a bowl and feed him yourself. Don't want any gruff disheveled dirty foot soldier tending his needs. That's your job!" She barked at him and then left. Allen sighed softly and glanced down and the softly snoring boy in the bed.

The next day came and the boy was still alive. He stirred and moaned weakly causing Allen to wake up. "Well hello there. So you're still alive! Are you hungry?" Allen wiped the sleep from his tired eyes and got up from the cot set up next to the boy's bed. He reached under the cot and retrieved the pouch the healer left for him. "Unfortunately you have to eat this, doctor's orders. I am supposed to mix this with hot water. It will help you get your strength back. I can't promise you that it will taste good."

The boy spoke. "Where I am? I was supposed to meet up with a merchant's caravan heading west."

Allen noted his strange accent. "You are at an Asturian outpost in the seized territory of Vren, once part of the Zaibach Empire. My name is Allen. I'm the commander here. What's your name?"

"I'm Prince Edward of Trilladen. I seek political asylum." The boy replied.

At this Allen's face showed sympathy, clearly the boy had lost his mind from his ordeal. For Trilladen was a mythical city of the old legends of Atlantis. When Allen was very young his mother used to tell him stories about Trilladen, the city of the righteous who escaped the fate of Atlantis.

"Please, I must speak to your king! It is so important! Mugwa plans to rule all of Gaea! A Great War is coming! We all need to band together against him!" The boy spoke urgently as if in a fever. He was becoming distraught and tried to sit up.

"Hush, it's all right. Just relax. You need to recuperate before saving all of Gaea, you know. Just let your body heal. You've obviously been through an ordeal. As soon as you are stronger we will talk and figure out what to do." Allen soothed.

Prince Edward tried to protest but was too weak. He slumped back into his bed and watched Allen mix his gruel soup with dread. He doesn't believe me. How am I going to persuade him to help me when he doesn't believe what I say?

Prince Edward took in Allen's looks for the first time. His long flowing blond hair and handsome face of chiseled yet sensual features bespoke strength and kindness. He was tall and broad shouldered, and had well formed muscles from years of training and hard fighting. He was graceful too as if every move was stealthily maneuvered.

Allen came back to the bed with a hot steaming bowl in one hand and a mug of ale in the other. A towel hung over his arm. He smiled down at the youth and sat down next to him. "Here have some of this. It looks awful so I can sympathize with your dilemma." Allen brought the bowl close to his face and sniffed. "Could be worse."

I've got to convince him to help me. He's so kind, but why doesn't he believe me? "I'll eat the soup, but I can feed myself!" Prince Edward protested.

Allen didn't think that was unreasonable so he helped the lad sit up to eat his soup. "Tell me why you were all alone like that. A young lad such as yourself should have someone older looking after you. Where are your parents?" Allen inquired.

Prince Edward sighed in frustration. This isn't going to be easy. "My mother and father are back on the island. I left as soon as word got to us of just exactly what Mugwa was planning. It wasn't safe for me to stay, and someone has to warn the rest of the population of his evil plans. If he is able to find a female virgin of the royal house of Atlantis, then he can obtain great power."

Allen wasn't sure whether to humor the boy or try to reason with him. In the end he decided to humor him. "Well, your highness, I think it is a noble deed for you to have embarked on your mission." Allen smiled blandly at him.

The sun rose and set four times before Prince Edward could get out of bed. By this time Allen was convinced that the boy was quite insane and intensely shy. The very first day of the lad's recuperation when he had finally needed to relieve himself Allen brought a chamber pot to his bed thinking Prince Edward was still too week. But the boy wouldn't move to take care of business. Allen realized he was going to just lay there and suffer rather than have Allen in the room with him while he answered the call of nature.

After having been on military campaigns in all sorts of conditions, such benign practicalities were not even thought of. Chuckling to himself, Allen supposed the boy felt himself to be royalty and therefore would assume a pretentious air of dignity.

Even so Allen kept the boy away from the men to prevent them from getting spooked. Allen's experience with his sister's illness taught him that people can't tolerate what they don't understand. In all honesty though, Allen didn't understand himself, but he was a compassionate man. So he tended to the lad's needs as best he could.

Prince Edward soon realized that he would have to continue his journey. He wasn't getting anywhere with Allen. On the fifth night as everyone slept Prince Edward made his escape. He felt bad about leaving so abruptly. He made sure to take the stench pouch that Helliese had given him and quietly tiptoed out of the barracks of slumbering men and into the courtyard. Seeing only two watch guards at the gate entrance he kept to the shadows and made good his escape heading toward the dark shadows of the Moor of the Mountains.

Allen had been so kind. But Prince Edward's mission was clear to him he had to get the warning out about Mugwa, the high priest of the temple. Mugwa's lust for power had turned him into a monster.

The next morning when Allen was informed of the boy's disappearance, he immediately set out to find him. When Alan was a knight in training he learned many skills. Balgus had been his swordmaster. Neifae had taught him to track down his prey in the woods. And for now 'Prince Edward' was his prey. He felt responsible for the boy, but he was annoyed. He only hoped the boy was safe.

Allen headed west toward the kingdom of Fanelia. He knew he would find the boy sooner or later, but many dangers lurked just beyond the valley to the mountain range. There were dragons and hostile Zaibach refugees, mole men, cat people, not to mention the unpredictable terrain. If Edward reached the end of the valley, he could get caught in the rising waters of the Moor of the Mountain. Allen couldn't be certain that Edward would know to watch for the tide.

At dusk of every night the locals from the valley knew to stay away from the base of the mountain or they would get sucked up and swallowed into the tide as the waters rose up from the ground to create the moor.

The sun was still high up in the sky when Allen let his stead slow down from a canter to a brisk trot. He searched the horizon and was rewarded with the sight of his quarry. He spurred his stead into a gallop and trounced upon the boy within moments. The odd thing was that Edward didn't seem perplexed. He simply stared up into the knight's face expectantly, as if to say, 'So you are finally going to join me.' Allen dismounted and grabbed the boy by his shoulders.

"Do you know how lucky you are to still be breathing?! Gaea is a beautiful world, but also horrendously violent. You could've been eaten alive by Wispy Moths pecking away at you- it's that time in the rotation, or drowned in the Moor of the Mountain at sunset! I have far too many worries without you adding unnecessary risks to your life. As long as you are my responsibility, young man, you will obey me. I am your elder and I won't tolerate this kind of license. I run a tight outpost. You will come back with me after I have rested and watered my stead, and you will be quiet. I'm tired and hot!" Allen was almost shaking Edward and checked himself. He was just a boy, after all, and a demented one at that.

And then the unexpected thing happened. Edward fell into Allen's arms and cried heart-wrenching sobs. This, of course, made Allen berate himself. Though he felt strange about it, he put his arms around the boy to comfort him. Allen began to murmur soothing words to the emotional Edward and again checked himself. This boy may have been through hell, but Allen was not accustomed to coddling young men. He straightened himself up and pushed Edward away.

"Here now, get a hold of yourself! Young princes are supposed to be brave!" Allen scoffed at the boy and gave him a look as if to say, "Buck up!"

For the first time Edward spoke to Allen. "As a knight, are you not honor bound to answer the call of distress?"

"I believe, young man, that I am doing just that! You have placed yourself in danger and I am responding accordingly. Do not think to remind me, a knight of Asturia, of my solemn vows and obligations! Now wipe away those girlish tears and we will speak no more of this!" Allen gruffly stated.

Just then the boy reached down into his waist shirt and pulled out a stone pendant. Allen head was reeling. It looked exactly like Hitomi's! "Where did you get that?" Allen yelled.

Ignoring Allen, the young prince cupped the stone in the palm of his left hand, closed his eyes and began to chant in an incomprehensible fashion. A brilliant beam of light reached down from the heavens and encapsulated them both as they were lifted up off the ground. Suddenly, like a flash of lightening they were catapulted into the sky. The beam arched and bowed downward and westward. Before Allen could think, he was tossed onto the ground like a sack of potatoes along side Edward.

***********************

In the distance Van saw the beam of light span across the sky like a celestial rainbow. His heart leaped for joy as he imagined his beloved had at last returned. He always knew she would. His heart kept a vigilant hope that never dimmed with each passing day. It only shone brighter as time wore on, because that meant to him that Hitomi's return was that much closer. Now he was going to meet his love and never let her go! His longing would stop and fulfillment, at last would be theirs! He ran out of the castle and into the stables, determined to meet up with her as quickly as possible. Barking orders to prepare his stead for him he barely stopped to mount up and ride like the wind to his Hitomi.

***********************

Allen deftly stood up and shook himself off. He searched for Prince Edward and found him in the fetal position a stone's throw away from him. The damned boy looked fast asleep!

***********************