Vision Of Escaflowne Fan Fiction ❯ When Escaflowne Rescued Trilladen ❯ The Wedding and Coronation ( Chapter 16 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

*************************

Chapter Sixteen: The wedding and coronation

*****************************

Hitomi was dressed in the shimmering green gown that matched her eyes. It was made of a stiff silk taffeta that synched in at the waist with an iridescent white laced bodice held tightly in place with diamond buttons. A soft feminine yolk scoop neck line embellished with pearls revealed the swell of her ivory bosom. Such was the gown that Van had made for her a month ago when his plans had first taken root in his mind. Now seeing her in it just after they had urgently shared a sweet coupling of reconciliation made his heart burst with love and pride.

The bridesmaids looked ravishing. The groom's escorts were dashing. The monk, Friar Penchant, was reverent and the whole affair was a romantic, spiritual, intimate celebration. Mugwa viewed it through his Destiny Prognosticator Engine and wanted to hurl. And then he was interrupted by his new assistant Nakata as the 'mysterious' disappearance of Gogan warranted the advancement in his career. None were more cautious or sleazy. He couldn't wait to make a good impression.

"Your Grace, the High-mass of Creation and Exile is about to begin. The temple is full of sympathizers to the royal family and the continuation of the old ways. You must make an appearance, however unfortunate, to quell misgivings that are brewing. Many feel you have abandoned tradition in favor of pursuing personal power. Would it not be wise to give a show of devotion and reverence to appease their suspicious minds?"

"You over step your boundaries, Nakata. I too embrace tradition. I only wish to retrieve our lost glory of Atlantis and fulfill our destiny as the true government of Gaea! Do not think to second-guess me."

"My most sincere apologies, Your Grace. I only thought to aid you during these strenuous times." Nakata bowed deeply and groveled well enough to soothe Mugwa's ego.

Mugwa haughtily stood still, arms held out, as two of his personal devotees from the priesthood dressed him in the blue ceremonial robes embroidered in pure spun gold thread at the collar and cuffs with the plants of wheat and hemp. This particular religious garb was used for this great holiday alone. The blue symbolized the heavens above the fertile fields of Atlantis. These symbols were held as reminders of the world that was left behind as the righteous elders of the temple created a wormhole into another dimension and created Gaea where they agreed to a self-imposed exile for their sins of pride and self-righteousness.

All those who would make restitution for their sins and accompany them into the new world would be bound by the same vows of isolation as the elders themselves and would live on Trilladen. All those who wanted to escape the fate of Atlantis because they believed the prophets, but would not agree to the self imposed isolation would be allowed to go to Gaea, but would have to fend for themselves in forgetfulness of the old glories and achievements of Atlantis.

Their would be only one family, the royal family of Atlantis who had not tainted their hearts with pride and envy who would be entrusted to be the bridge between the peoples, for Trilladen would forever be positioned in the eye of the Great Typhoon. No one would dare to venture out into the storm from the shores, because through the eons, no one who tried ever returned. No one even knew if there was anything beyond the Vast Waters of Violence and for nearly a millennium the outer realms of Gaea had endured a dark ages filled with wars, famine, pestilence and finally a fragile order of feudalism which diluted those ingredients to a degree.

Now Mugwa had plans of his own for this concocted world, this substitute planet for the real earth. He wanted to take back Earth and rule all of Gaea as well, with a tight control on everything living. No one would be free to make mistakes, all would be controlled to create the perfect order for all time. Freedom was an excuse, a euphemism used to exercise license to abuse one's own will, after all. He would put a stop to that. Everyone would always obey every law that was useful and righteous. No one would have the desire or the imagination to veer from the prescribed road to perfection. And he would rule them all in this perfect world, and be acknowledged as the divine and enlightened being who saved two worlds.

But first he would have to spoil a king's wedding and a queen's coronation. Well, perhaps he would be in time to crash the ball. Heaven knows there's no need for another wedding night, Hitomi already carried his intended victim. With a careless wave of his hands he ushered the devotees away and to adjust his Prognosticator to his puppet. He looked closely at the tall form of the ruler of Zaibach and noticed his gaze rested on the redheaded kitty. Mugwa sniggered with derision. No time for love, Folken, only war.

He left his private chambers and began the dignified procession march to the temple to gaze at a congregation of simpletons. His face was concealed now as he chose to cover his head with the hood of the robe- a new practice for him. His new assistant skulked about like a ghoul on the outskirts of the parade. He would be griffin meat soon enough.

At the temple he walked with a pious air down the long aisle to the sacred alter. There stood the caldron of time, a titanium pot lined in platinum. The handle of the ornate caldron was the shape of a dancing dragon. A strange mist bubbled up from it. As Mugwa made his way to the alter he reached into the folds of his robes and retrieved a vial full of blood red liquid.

The moment he reached the alter, he removed the hood from his head revealing how old and thin and ugly he had become. The entire congregation reacted with shock and a hushed nervous energy that threatened to ignite like a crackling bolt of lightening. He opened the vial and tipped it into the caldron and began to chant the old celestial language of Atlantis, long since forgotten by its descendants.

"Ing ha mon roos pah shint. Ing roos su de son mon ceecum. Ing ra departuim huma. Ing si ram soar."

The screams from the closed doors of the temple were a torturous agony to the ears of a small group of gentle priests who had barely escaped with their lives. They ran to the palace hoping to warn the King and Queen, but it was too late. They had been taken from the palace hours before. They had been bound and gagged and waited in a cave formed out of the rocks from the ocean tide. Soon they would drown if the priests did not find them, for the tide was rising.

The people were writhing in pain. The aisle was filled with bodies contorting, bones cracking and reforming. Facial hair and head hair grew to form bushy manes. From the shoulder blades of these tortured souls scaly wings began to cut through pink skin, ripping and tearing togas and traditional dress of the ancient ones. Their hands snapped as bones and cartilage moved to form paws, fingernails turned to claws, nail cuticles bleeding profusely as claws rounded out and stretched the skins and tissues quickly and painfully. Screams became growls of rage and hunger.

The chanted the rite of ownership to the slave griffins who only knew the need for blood and their minds to be directed by a forceful master. "Ram soar ing sha mon ra. Ing ram ceecum, roos su desorsium."

He had them. Two thousand righteous souls, trying desperately to hold on to the old ways and traditions of their fathers were now locked in the bodies and minds of hungry griffins. Griffins could fly faster than anything else on Gaea, their blood ran like acid in their veins, whose scaly wings thopped and glided like that of dragons. A master controls Griffins and what they devoured in flesh and drank in blood. They were perfect for war. And now Mugwa had them.

Using telepathy he gave his new minions their first mission. "Bring Hitomi, daughter of the royal house of Atlantis to me alive and safe." Mugwa tipped the giant platinum caldron over to dump its contents out. "Bring her to me in this, that I might feast upon her flesh. Eat freely the people of the outer realms. Die in the cause of Trilladen's destiny."

The doors of the temple opened and the griffins filed out quickly for their hunger must be sated on the other side of the Vast Waters of Violence.

***************************************

Hitomi walked down the aisle of the small chapel that had replaced the beautiful shrine that once was Escaflowne's resting place. Now a utilitarian holding cell held the renown Guymelef, and the future plans to build a religious shrine were put on hold until there wasn't a single homeless family left in all of Fanelia.

Still, the chapel was laden with flowers. Allen held Princess Edwina's hand during the whole ceremony. Amano witnessed the affair with solemnity, wishing only to return to his training like a man obsessed. Gaddes stared at Yukari who wanted to smack him, she was so annoyed with him, and Folken gazed at Merle with pure love in his heart, wondering why he was lucky enough to be alive to witness her womanly beauty. Van's heart was hammering in his chest. He could hardly breath. His eyes were wide with anticipation. He knew this day would mark the beginning of the rest of their lives. He couldn't believe his dreams were finally coming true.

The generals sat beside Amano gazing intently at the woman/child who would be their new queen. The hilt of their ceremonial swords sheathed and glimmering in the candlelight. General Shinyo did not like this wedding at all. The king should be marrying a princess of Ispania or Asturia, Aries was much older, but she could still bare him a child, a proper heir. Amano sighed the heavy sigh of the bored, not noticing Yukari's beauty or her pain.

Only one thing drove him these days. Win the war and get back to Earth. Then his life could resume and he could maybe try to strike something up with Yukari, when they were safe. He just didn't know anymore. His life was changing and so was he. This place was strange and exhilarating. It made his blood boil with the adventure of it. He didn't feel interested in girls or even Yukari with a sword in his hand. When he wasn't training he was learning the written word of this new world. When he wasn't training, he was learning war strategies or setting up sparring matches with the other soldiers to gain skill and improve his fighting capabilities.

Van recited his vows as the world fell away and there was only his bride. He cupped her face in his hands and looked soulfully into her eyes. She was his now, his heart leaped with joy. She was more beautiful than ever she had been and she was carrying his baby. Tears welled up in his eyes, his voice choked with emotion as he spoke, "...with all my worldly goods, my body and heart I troth to thee, for as long as we both shall live." He leaned in and pressed his forehead against hers and whispered, "Forever!"

Her heart skipped a beat and then raced frantically. She was his, whatever happened, she would be his for eternity, for she believed in eternal relationships born out of love, remaining permanent by choice and spirit. She believed him when he made his claim to be with her forever, such love never dies, only grows. She said the same vows to him. Their foreheads remained touching in an intimate kiss of sorts as she too whispered to him, "Forever!"

The monk clearly moved by such sweet devotion in a couple so young facing such perils as only Heaven knows, this day should be blessed only with joy as a respite from future woes. He prayed this prayer thinking it right and proper. May their union by blessed with many children. Be kind to them, oh fates. May God grant them this day to be joyful, for the morrow brings such uncertainty.

Clearing his throat, he added his brand of humor, "We here wish to thank the royal couple of Fanelia for allowing us to watch them whisper sweet nothings to each other. Though we could not hear the secrets you whispered to each other, I am prepared to vouch for their sincerity. Now as Man and Wife face your subjects so that they might rejoice." At that, quiet respectful laughter and then they began to clap their hands getting louder and louder. This day would be for rejoicing after all.

The next part of the ceremony was to crown the queen. The bishop stood in reverence and spiritual authority. He waited for the beautiful young queen to be slowly escorted to him by the King. She was graceful and looked a little timid. She didn't feel certain she was prepared to be a queen. The bishop intoned the sacred prayer to her and asked her to make her solemn vows.

"Hitomi, Queen of all Fanelia, do you pledge fealty to your lord, to obey him in matters of state, trusting him alone, thereby following his counsel?"

"I do pledge it."

"Do you by your heart, body, mind and strength pledge it?"

By my heart, body, mind and strength, I pledge it, complete in loyalty and love for my king."

"Recognizing that your body will be as vessel to bring forth in love the future heirs to the throne, do you promise to keep yourself pure for the king and therefore, all Fanelia?"

Blushing profusely she whispered, "I gladly promise."

Smiling indulgently at his gentle queen, he finished the ritualistic words that would seal her as Van's queen forever in the annals of Fanelia's history. "

"Then in full knowledge of your vows and by the laws of Fanelia I crown you the queen. Long may you reign beside your King, aiding only him and your country, remembering your vows and promises, never to depart from them upon pain of death. May you live long and win wisdom to bring the joy of many children to him and us, as you are charged to teach them their solemn duties to help only the king to rule Fanelia in a harmonious government that your subjects can rejoice in." He placed the heavy golden crown upon her head, the royal crest of the family nestled in emeralds. Her eyes sparkled from it as tears fell like diamond teardrops down her cheeks. She was a vision.

The entire congregation cheered loudly, breaking tradition. The king and those who knew him had long awaited this day. Even General Shinyo was choked up. Well, if Balgus had thought so much of the lady, then so should I. She's now my queen after all. General Pauk was right. She's truly a queen to love.

Merle's shoulders were shaking from crying so hard. Folken put his real arm around her and nuzzled her close. Her breathed in her hair's perfume and bowed his head to whisper to her. Her face was buried in his chest, "If I can find a way to you I swear I will do it. Do not cry sweet girl. If not by law, then by heart I am with you. Don't cry, please."

"You would leave without me to fight. How can you say you are with me, when you will leave me, possibly never to return?"

"I have to go and you have to stay. If I know you are safe, then I can fight with a clear mind. It's the only way." She cried harder into his chest and put her arms around him, holding him tight. He stood there with his arm around her, his face nuzzling her hair, his eyes were closed, and his heart was breaking. How can I be alive when I remember dying? I shouldn't care, I should only be grateful to know I love this much. I didn't ever think I would love this much. I wish I knew why I have been given the opportunity to live and to know this love.

Yukari turned around looked at Amano who was cheering with the rest of the crowd. He was completely oblivious to her. She wasn't cheering. She was just standing there feeling utterly alone. Gaddes moved in closer to her. He saw her pain and wanted to comfort her. He put her arm in his two arms, as he had when he escorted her down the aisle. She looked up at him ready to growl at him, but as soon as she saw the sweet concern in his eyes she eased into him, accepting his comfort. He blushed, cleared his throat and held her arm more snugly, looking ahead with the look a proud satisfied look on his face. Amano is an idiot.

*****************************************************

T wo dulcimers, three lutes, a psaltery and a string instrument called a sapphite that sounded much like a guitar played joyful music to celebrate the wedding and coronation of Queen Hitomi. It sounded Mediterranean and wonderful. Couples danced and bounced to the music. The spirit was festive and light. Everyone wanted to enjoy the celebration before tomorrow took root.

Everyone but Merle, that is. She hadn't been able to persuade Folken to take her in the month's worth of trying to. She was depressed. Van was married off, and Folken was as pig headed as Van. Surprise, surprise. She slowly eased out of the ballroom and onto the balcony. Men are so unreasonably sometimes. They think they know everything. Merle sat down on a bench, put her arms on the rail and bent her head down to weep softly.

Folken was behind her though. He wasn't about to let her escape into her own world of misery. They didn't have much time. He knew he promised Van to keep her at arms length, but she needed him and he couldn't disregard that. With the grace and stealth of a seasoned warrior he went to her quickly and straddled the bench behind her. With his real arm he took hold of her and pulled her into his warmth. She nestled into him and let her tears fall freely.

"I want both of your arms around me. I love all of you, Folken. Make no mistake about that." She insisted.

Having the grace to blush he obliged her and she felt his safe embrace like a warm blanket. "Tell me you love me. I would hear it from you now."

"Merle, you are so young. This world holds so much uncertainty. Please don't make me declare myself when I don't have anything offer you."

"But you said you were with me. Tell me what you really mean."

Like a man loosing a war he waged within himself, he heaved a heavy sigh and capitulated to a degree. "I promised you I would try to find a way to you, a way that holds honor for us both. I have much to atone for. I cannot run away from my obligation or my need to make a proper restitution to Fanelia, and to Van. He's asked me to keep you at arm's length and I agree that I should. You must trust me and understand that this is the only way."

"I understand all right. I understand that it is perfectly acceptable for Van to fall in love when he was my age, but I may not."

"No, understand that we have fallen in love and I am a world apart from you in age and experience. Your heart is pure and mine is tainted. I truly am a pirate pretending to be a king. Zaibach lies in ruins with the whole world's hatred pressing down on its capital. Until I can redeem my adopted country, I cannot hope to redeem myself and claim you. Now you must obey me. I know what's best, Merle. You are too young to know how this world works."

"Geez, could you get anymore patronizing? I don't have to obey you, I'm not your wife, or even your girlfriend, and I don't accept that you have a tainted heart. If you won't fight for me in the eyes of world, then I don't want you." She quickly got up and ran down the stairs that led to the solace of the gardens. The mystic moon was blue and the moon was pale yellow. It cast frightening shadows because of the Magnolia tree garden.

Too fraught with emotion to hear that Folken was right behind her she stopped and leaned against the trunk of the tallest Magnolia tree and looked up to see his face, purple with rage.

"No you aren't my wife, or even my girlfriend. You are my intended!" He pressed against her, effectively sandwiching her. Her loins went hot immediately and looked up at him expectantly. Like a man drowning, his mouth descended upon hers with a passion he couldn't control at that moment. Not pleased with the angle of his body against hers, because his wasn't touching enough of hers, his mechanical arm swooped down around her rump and lifted her up to press against him hard as he tongue licked her lips open to deepen his kiss.

She put her arms around his neck and her fingers became wonderfully tangled in his unruly hair. She moaned as his tongue caressed hers with his ardent kiss. He pulled back only long enough to begin a soft surface kiss that would tease them both into another more intimate one. His arm of flesh was free. Her weight he easily handled with his metal arm. With his free arm his hand roamed over her body. Beyond caring, she was ruled by her desire, with one hand she lifted her gown up high enough to wrap her legs around his waist and hug him with her legs.

This brought him to his knees like a dying man. He laid her down on the garden floor, amidst the lilies and hyacinth. Their fragrance hypnotized them both as he pinned her down with his body, kissing her with all of the love and need he felt for her. She relished every moment of it. He can't tell me with words that he loves me, but his kisses can.

Like a man possessed he ripped of his cloak and waist shirt. He black wings unfurled like a dark angel's warning. A feather drifted down and landed on the silken bed that was Merle's lush long hair. It's blackness reached into the corners of Folken's rational mind reminding him that his heart was not pure and he was not worthy of this sweet gift of a woman-child. Tears of grief and love and regret stung his eyes as he ended their loving. Merle cried out in protest at the emptiness that quickly replaced warmth, passion and love. She tried to hug him down to her again as tears of desperation washed her red hair.

He sat up and quietly dressed, trying to block out her cries. He couldn't. He put his shirt and cloak on and then scooped her into his lap. Rocking her gently in his embrace, his own tears fell on her head and face. "I'm sorry. I can't do this, my love. Forgive me. I don't want you to feel pain because of me. I do love you, but I won't seduce you and take away your innocence." He kissed the top of her head and they wept softly, together.

Van, who had been looking for Merle for some time, stumbled upon them like this. He saw them crying and holding each other for comfort. He felt sad for his brother, but resolved not to let Merle grow up too quickly. With no anger, only regret at having to end their much needed intimate moment he walked up to them.

"I'm sorry to disturb you, but everyone is waiting for Merle. Hitomi wants to toast her, and so do I. Everyone will wonder, dear brother. Forgive the intrusion, but Merle must come back with me."

"No, make my excuses. My face is tear streaked, my dress is all wrinkled. I don't know how I will explain that away. I won't waist this night. I'm staying with Folken." Folken started to weakly protest and she stopped him with a short hard kiss and growled.

"Please, Van." She implored, and he relented.

"Both of you remember your honor and I will trust you. I know you have strong feelings for each other, but there is much to be resolved yet." With that he walked away to make Merle's excuses, but not without misgivings.

"Okay, so if I promise not to attack you with all of my feminine wiles, will you spend this night talking with me?"

"You'll have to be on the other side of the garden for me not to feel the effect of your charms, my love. But, yes, we have much to talk about." He chuckled, feeling real hope for the first time.

Neither noticed how the night sky had become heavily dotted with an army of griffins still off in the distance flying towards them, and they were hungry.