Vision Of Escaflowne Fan Fiction ❯ When Escaflowne Rescued Trilladen ❯ And They're Off ( Chapter 18 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

******************

Chapter Eighteen

**************************

And they're off!

Van and Allen were sitting at the captain's table in a briefing room off of the bridge. The generals who usually kept Amano in tow most of the time had not yet joined them yet. Van noticed early on how impressed they were with his ability to learn to fight. But for now, not having them here was just what Van hoped for.

"Allen, I have news from the spies we sent to the outskirts of the Zaibach Empire. The settlements closest to the shores of the vast waters of violence have either all been deserted or slain. Also, I have reports coming in that trade posts along the pilgrimage route to Asturia's temple have suffered attacks from flying demons, which can only mean more griffins. However, no one has seen any sign of your sister at all. I'm sorry." Van told him.

Allen sighed a heavily and rubbed his face with his hand. Looking at his hands resting on the table in front of him he said, "Besides my wife, I have no other family. Everyone I have ever loved, I seem to loose one way or other. Whatever happens, she must always be by my side. Our lots have been cast together by my claim. I know it is an outdated practice, but that is why we must take it very seriously, considering her station."

"You realize that by claiming a woman of royal blood as a wife by common law is more than just a sticky situation. I think once we reach Asturia you should have the union blessed as soon as possible by a monk in the temple. I hate to say it, but without the pomp and circumstance due to her, there may be trouble down the road." Van offered.

"I realize that. But somehow, I 'm not worried about an international incident with Trilladen. I think that certain risks were initially assumed worth taking when she was chosen to be the one to raise the banner of war against Mugwa. I only want to protect her at this point, which I cannot do if I don't have your corporation. She must continue to train to fight as a warrior. And she must not leave this ship for any reason without my knowledge. The journey isn't going to without its difficulties." Allen explained.

Just then the rest of the group arrived, including the princess who looked very sullen. General Jarvis was red at the ears he looked so aggravated. "This woman insists that she is entitled to train! To train! The men cannot be inconvenienced with her playing at war games. We need all our resources, including space and weapons to ready our men for war. She's in the way and must be put in her place."

Allen stood up with a look on his face that made the general falter a bit. " She is the claimed wife of a knight of Asturia and therefore is entitled to all privileges and rights that I have. She trains with me and along side the men from now on. With her life in jeopardy she must have the skills of self-defense to aid her in times of violence. Do you dare disagree? "

"No, My lord, I apologize for the misunderstanding. If she could but place herself in a fighting room away from the men, I would not worry so about possible injuries to her person. She cannot be placed in irresponsible situations, Sir."

"As her husband and Knight, I will decide what situations are irresponsible or not as I have been charged with her training from the start! You had no problem with her presence among the men when she known to you as Prince Edward. Princess Edwina will be treated no differently." Turning to Van to back him he waited for the king's reply.

"Let the Princess train as she always has." Van ordered.

"Sire, no man worth his salt will train with her, for fear of harming her. She isn't just a liability, she is a distraction to them, now that she is seen as a woman. They have been trained from the start to protect women, not pick fights with them." General Jarvis reasoned.

Van was extremely annoyed, and Allen plainly ignored the conflict in a suave demeanor telling the upstart general that the matter had already been settled. It was up to Van to reason with Allen.

"Allen, place yourself in their position. You too have been sworn to protect the weak, which includes women. The men aren't going to feel comfortable sparing with her. It is a matter of honor to them."

"Then I will train her myself, and so must you, your majesty." Allen responded easily.

Van nodded his head in agreement. This is going to be a very difficult journey.

*******************************************

Destroyer swooped down into the private garden of the royal family, now blatantly occupied by Mugwa. He was resting under the magnolia tree looking very self satisfied while his new pet, Nakata fanned him. The griffin growled and released Dilandau who rolled to the ground grunting.

"Who are you?" Dilandau demanded of Mugwa. He quickly sprang to his feet dusting himself off.

"Your new object of devotion, of course." Mugwa smugly replied.

"You're too ugly. Where are my dragonslayers? Oh, I remember! It was Van. I hate him!" Dilandau cursed. "Who are you? Don't play games with me, you will regret it." Dilandau drew closer to Mugwa with a look of murder in his eyes.

Mugwa closed his eyes that rested too deeply in their sockets, so gruesome was he and he chanted his spell. "Ing fas maska ra, Dornkirk!"

Dilandau eyes went wide with disbelief. He fell to his knees, bent over with his knuckles jammed into the dirt. "Emperor Dornkirk! How can this be? How...how may I serve you?" Dilandau's voice began to tremor.

"Kill Allen Schezar for me. He stands in the way of your greatness. Kill him anyway you can. He has a sister named Celena. He is headed in the Crusade to Austria. I will mask you in the guise of his sister and you shall kill him. Then you will always be free, Dilandau. Always." Mugwa could have sniggered at his own genius.

"Yes, master. I will kill Allen. I hate him. He will think his own sister killed him. I love it!" Dilandau would not get up. He remained where he was waiting for 'Emperor Dornkirk' to dismiss him.

"Destroyer will take you there after his meal. It's waiting for him at the caves by the shore." 'Dornkirk' explained. "I will leave you here to be picked up my him and taken to Palace in Asturia." Mugwa regally got up and walked away from the prostrate Dilandau.

The king, eaten by a griffin while the queen watches in anguished horror! Dilandau kills Allen, the brother he never knew he loved. And sweet Hitomi is on her way to me now. I knew resurrecting Folken would be useful to me. This is turning out to be a fine day. I only have to bide my time before I marry the Princess Edwina. Mugwa walked to the holy temple humming a child's lullaby.

****************************************

Helliese hated air travel. She lurched about the landing deck as the other three watched in sympathy and amusement. "Infernal float boat from hell, I'm going to regurgitate!" Helliese bent over and heaved, but mercifully, nothing spewed out. "Why do they have to lumber so? Can't they just jet-line it to Palace? How does Folken stand it?"

Hitomi walked over to comfort the ugly old witch and tried to find a reasonable way to put her arm around her, but the hump on Helliese's back made things quite awkward. "Why don't you try just sitting on this tarp? Haven't you anything for travel sickness? You've done wonders for my morning sickness." Hitomi suggested.

"Oh, I suppose your right. Between the loud obnoxious dragon's whooping it up on the way to Fanelia and getting no sleep, and the griffins and now this, I think I'd rather not have lived so long!" Helliese groaned.

Yukari stifled a giggle, but Merle was in too black a mood to laugh at much. She still stung from Folken sneaking off and leaving her after the night of promises they shared. Hitomi stayed by Helliese side while the old witch concocted her potion for herself. Hitomi would be glad when Helliese was back to her old feisty self. She was worried about the old hag.

"You've plenty on your plate to chew up now. Stop worrying over old Helliese, my Queen." Helliese barked.

Hitomi was amazed. "How come you know so much. It's like you can read minds!"

"When you've lived as long as I lived, there are few surprises left in this world. And the ones you get at my age make you feel uncomfortable or make you run to the toilet." Helliese grumbled.

Just then two sentries walked by without even glancing at the women. "Let's not make our presence known until we are very far away from Fanelia." Helliese decided.

**********************************************

Destro yer landed just outside the cave. A small group of priests shared a grim look upon their faces. They meant to stand against Destroyer to save the royal family whom they had freed. The family had fled into the mountains of Trilladen. They hid amongst the ruins that had been duplicated rock by rock, stone by stone of the ruins of Atlantis. It had been built by the grief stricken people of Trilladen eons ago when the royal family had announced that the city had been destroyed and its inhabitants killed as foretold by the prophets.

King Han and Queen Natalia waited and prayed for salvation. Both wondered if their daughter was alive and had succeeded in warning the outer realms.

The priests fell one by one in a valiant effort to kill the griffin. The griffin was more that sated that evening and would not fly until the morrow, so stuffed was the beast. That left Dilandau to roam the streets of Trilladen and get a looksy. Emperor Dornkirk didn't say to kill anyone else, but then he didn't say not to kill anyone else either. I wonder what Trilladen has to offer in the way of fun.