Vision Of Escaflowne Fan Fiction ❯ When Escaflowne Rescued Trilladen ❯ The Dawn of War ( Chapter 25 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

****************

Chapter 25

***********************

The Dawn of WAR

*********************************

Allen and Folken were in the docking bay, each in a new Zaibach guymelef, because Allen's had been destroyed in the crash of the crusade. He took time to familiarize himself with Zaibach technology in a guymelef that could be cloaked, wield a deadly liquid sword and could fly. He quickly set through the paces of movement control for body and sword in the foreign feeling control chamber.

The flexible liquid sword tantalized his imagination with the endless possibilities it possessed. As a sword master he was second to none, but with a weapon that could bend and reshape into deadly weapons at his command had him joyfully stomping around thrusting his sword like a schoolboy at play.

"Do you know what I could've done in a guymelef such as this with a sword like this? If I had this melef during the Great War, you'd have never gotten past my outpost. Here block this! Oh watch out! You're supposed to defend yourself against your opponent, not sit there bored and stupid!" Allen challenged Folken good-naturedly.

"Do you think we could get started now?" Folken was almost exasperated with Allen.

"I'm just getting acquainted with this new equipment. I'll need time to practice working this control chamber. Just to be practical I need to get used to it." Allen suggested. "The potential of this guymelef to do some real damage is boundless! I haven't even begun to discover its outstanding capabilities. " Allen ranted on.

"That's why I'm here to watch your back. Now about the mission…" Folken tried to remind Allen.

"Kill joy." Allen mumbled.

"We'll spar later, let's go now. It has to run in the family!" Folken muttered.

"I heard that! What's that supposed to mean?" Allen was clearly offended.

As soon as the two warriors were clear of the fortress by a safe distance, they flew off in the direction of the capital of Asturia. The Chantal Mountain range sprawled magnificently and colorfully against the horizon that led to the shores of Palas. They soon coasted past the crash sites of the fighters and the wreckage of the crusade as they reached the peeks. Allen looked down regretfully at his ship and shattered guymelef.

"We should cloak ourselves so as not to reveal our unwelcome arrival." Folken radioed Allen.

"But they'll hear our approach on land." Allen disagreed.

"That's right. You're not aware of the advances Zaibach's technologists have made in these past two years. We now can combine all three main capacities of concealment, flight and attack on these upgraded Alseidist units."

"I'm sure glad you didn't have that power during the Great War." Allen commented.

"Now who's being the kill joy. The gray panel to your right has a lever that can be shifted down toward you and then off to the left side. If you shift it down to the last notch before shifting to the left you can cloak and fly." Folken retorted.

"Got it. What happens if I then shift all the way to the left."

"You extend your liquid sword while in flight, but since you're not familiar with all of the maneuvers while on two feet, I don't recommend unsheathing your sword during flight. If you get into trouble shift left one notch to shoot at a target taking aim with the joystick by your left forefinger, but keep in mind you'll loose some of your sword's metal."

"Well I think we should just fly right in to the castle grounds. I'll search for Chid and you stay with the melefs. The green of the royal garden is the best spot to land. There may be a skirmish if I land clumsily."

"I don't expect this to be easy. You're more familiar with the castle and I with the melefs. It's a good plan, but we'll need a miracle to kidnap the king successfully." Folken added.

"You know, I just realized, if we pull this off, I'll have my whole family with me for the first time. My wife, my son, and my sister, we'll all be together.

"I know what you mean. I didn't think Van would ever forgive me, let alone trust me." Folken mused.

"I remember the day he thought you died. The great battle raged on like a fire out of control. He was like a mad man that day." Allen said.

"That was the day I did die." Folken said softly.

"So explain to me why you're breathing." Allen asked in a droll tone.

"I don't know. I just remember dying and feeling at peace. To be alive and with my brother and in love is more than I ever could have hoped for." Folken stated matter-of-factly.

"We're approaching the first signs of urban living. We should assume radio silence, I think." Allen suggested.

"You know our chances are slim to none, right?" Folken asked.

"You're very cheerful before battle." Allen retorted sarcastically.

As they drew closer to the castle grounds they flew in toward the garden walls and spotted the green. Almost as if a wish had just come true, Chid was sitting by the pool of serenity. The grounds were free of guards and advisors. Dusk was settling in. Allen and Folken eased their guymelefs onto the green about ten paces from the pool itself which reflected hues ranging from lemon yellow to deep violet from the sky's horizon setting sun.

Chid felt the ground reverberate from the sudden impact and got up and walked toward the source as if to investigate. Looking around as if confused he was almost upon the invisible melefs.

Wait… a little closer … come closer. Now! Allen opened the helmet of his guymelef and jumped out at his son. With one graceful movement he landed directly in front of Chid, grabbed hold of his arms. Chid yelled out for guards and Allen clamped his other hand down onto the young king's mouth as he struggled to get him back into the cockpit of the control chamber.

The entrance to the castle from the gardens darkened quickly with the forms of soldiers racing to aid their king. Folken fired shots at them buying Allen enough time to subdue the boy. Allen gripped Chid's neck until he was unconscious but safe.

"Allen, now would be good." Folken calmly insisted.

"Do I look like I'm slouching off on my duties?" Allen countered. "He's grown and much heavier than he was two years ago. I could use some help."

"Why do you think I'm firing at your countrymen? Do hurry, would you?" Folken goaded.

Allen slumped Chid over his shoulder and climbed back into the cockpit and closed the helmet shield. Taking off unceremoniously in the invisible guymelef he tried to leave Folken in his dust, but Folken kept pace and seemed quite amused with Allen's temper.

"Rushing off in a tiff, are we?" Folken chuckled.

"Shut up." Allen said snapped.

"You know, this was too easy. Something's wrong with this." Folken stated.

"Could you just decide not to be paranoid, and maybe we got that miracle." Allen asked.

"Sure, how long would you like me to pretend?" Folken offered.

"You're right, that was too easy. Something's wrong." Allen sighed.

"I'll order the fortress to retreat back to the village of Ozark and send out spies to scout the city for information. I don't like this." Folken said.

"We'll get Chid back and to sick bay as quickly as possible to have Helliese look at him. Maybe she can find clues to the plague Cerise was talking about." Allen suggested.

"No one is even pursuing us. I'm going to signal ahead for the fortress to fall back immediately." Folken's alarm was raised.

"Good idea, end radio contact." Allen sounded off.

It took them longer to fly back to the fortress as it was enroute to the village of Ozark and had long departed the Chantal range. Chid stayed unconscious the whole flight and left Allen filled with worry and regret. Once they reached the docking bay he and Folken both scrambled out of their cockpits and each took hold of either of Chid's arms and began leading the slumped over king to sickbay.

Folken barked orders for his second to meet him in sickbay and also a stretcher to be brought quickly. His second was walking fast joined him before sickbay and began to relay Folken's orders to send out spies immediately and post a double guard watch on sickbay.

That's when they heard the bad news of what happened during their brief adventure.

*********************

Dilandua impatiently waited until Allen was gone, a slight smile played on his mouth. Getting restless just lying in bed he leaped out with glee to inspect his surroundings hoping they would reveal some weakness of Allen's to use against him. As he walked around Allen's quarters inspecting his belongings, rummaging through the room he was disappointed to find nothing of intimacy to pry over or destroy.

Then he noticed his appearance in the mirror over the dressing table. Stunned at the image staring back at him he studied his new image. When did my eyes become purple? And that damn scar. Maybe I can kill Van too if he's here. If Allen is, then so must he. Eventually he felt quite accustomed to the female face, but the eyes of purple troubled him- yet as the unsettling feeling subsided, a cold calculating gleam rose in Dilandau's eyes.

They think I'm Allen's sister! I can use that! Dilandau went to the door and slowly opened it a small crack. He observed that a stupid looking young soldier was leaning against the wall, shoulders slumped with a bored look on his face as he stared at the ground. Has Strategos become so lax in disciplining his men? This buffoon needs a lesson. His feminine mouth curled into a tight pleasured grin.

Walking out nonchalantly from the room and dressed in a tattered and torn dress that revealed too much leg in a high-born lady the soldier just stood at attention quickly and peered at the girl leaving the room.

"Um, miss, I think you should stay… Ooof." The poor fellow's eyes bulged out and his face turned red as he was winded from the high kick Dilandau put to his belly. As the hapless soldier clutched his stomach and bent over in pain, Dilandau punched him hard on his right temple and knocked him out cold.

Dilandau set out to find his victim…Allen Schezar. He skulked through the corridor and hid in the shadows like a rat as he made his way through the fortress come garbage scow. Finding a lift empty he entered it to explore a different level of the fortress. He would start with ship's barracks and work his way up to the bridge and all points in between, from the mess hall to the loading dock. He would find Allen eventually.

As he continued his progress he heard a door behind him open and boot steps quickly catching up to him. He straightened up and slowly turned around with a dubious look on his girlie face. He recognized the man immediately.

"Lady Celena, you shouldn't be out here dressed like that. You're half-naked! Allen intended for you to rest, I'm sure." Gaddes walked up to the gentle image of Celena and took hold of her arm to escort her back to Allen's room.

"Where is Allen?" Celena half-demanded.

"He's gone off to rescue King Chid, the Duke of Freid. There is a plague on the city of Palas and Allen is concerned about him." Gaddes explained good-naturedly. He took Celena back to the lift when Yukari entered the corridor from the same door he came out of.

"Gaddes, wait up, Helleise needs you still. King Van is too weak to get up and he's too heavy for Helliese to help him to a bed." She was saying as she walked quickly to them.

"I thought I heard something in the corridor and when I saw Allen's sister dressed like this, I thought to get her back to Allen's room." Gaddes replied, not relinquishing hold of 'Celena'.

"So this is Allen's sister! Hi, I'm Yukari, a friend of Hitomi's." Yukari bowed in respect.

Dilandau barely concealed his snarl and bent his head down to hide the contempt on his face.

Gaddes said softly to Yukari, "I don't think she's feeling herself yet."

"Oh… I'll take her back and you help Helliese with the King." She suggested.

"Well..." Gaddes hesitated. "Just be careful with her, I suppose it will be all right." Gaddes smiled at her. Yukari took 'Celena's' arm and entered the lift. Gaddes turned around and walked back to sickbay to help the old witch.

In sickbay Helliese was grunting like a dying mule trying to help Van climb up onto a bed to sleep. Hitomi was already sleeping like a contented baby in a bed. Cerise was snoring loudly in the bed next to her, but the old woman didn't have the strength to help Van get into bed.

"Hold on, old woman, I'm here to do that." Gaddes strode quickly up to the sorry couple and grabbed an unconscious Van under his shoulders and scooted him to the empty bed next to Hitomi's other side. He pulled his large heavy frame up with some effort and between the two of them managed to lift and roll Van into bed.

"Oh thank you, dear boy. I'm so tired. I'm just going to lie down next to Cerise. Do you suppose this room was ever this full?" She shook her head and chuckled.

"I'm going to go find Yukari." Gaddes nodded his head and left.

Helliese slowly waddled over to the empty bed next to the necromancer. She hoisted her fat old ugly aching body onto the bed and lied down on the mattress as if the thing offered salvation itself. Rolling her eyes in extreme relief she nestled her head into the pillow and settled down to pursue much needed slumber.

*******************

Amano was in a dark mood. He sulked while staring out the huge viewing glass shield of the bridge. Looking like an ill-tempered statue he wallowed in his morose, wondering if Yukari was with Gaddes again. He knew he'd been withdrawn since preparing for this mission, but he'd had so much to take in and he didn't know if he'd learn enough to protect her. Fear and pressure to adapt alone kept him from her, but Gaddes had the luxury of being on his home turf and Yukari was clearly impressed with the efficient warrior. He was Allen's second and very well respected by all the men.

If he didn't do something and quick Yukari might decide to stay on Gaea with Hitomi after this mess was cleared up. Her head was clearly turned by Gaddes' show of affection. That's when he decided he would firmly, once and for all declare himself to her and let the cards fall where they may. He loved Yukari and they both belonged on a different world. He wanted to get back to their world and he wanted her to go back with him.

Sighing in resolve he pushed himself away from the glass and headed toward the lift. The doors whooshed open and there was Yukari with a dagger to her throat! Celena was holding her from behind with Yukari's arms locked behind her back. Celena looked as if she was quite mad.

"Who are you? What are you doing to Yukari? Let her go or you'll regret it." Amano thundered.

"Move back and do exactly as I say or she dies!" 'Celena' hissed.

"Don't hurt her! I'm moving back. I don't know what you think to accomplish, you're surrounded and outnumbered." Amano stated.

"I know something you don't. These saps are sworn to protect weaklings like this girl." The dagger was pressed against Yukari's throat causing her to whimper in pain and fear. "They'd rather die than see her hurt!" 'Celena' stated smugly. "Turn this tub around and head out to sea! NOW!"

The mad woman yanked Yukari's arms down, causing her to cry out. Taking the dagger momentarily from Yukari's neck to stab the control buttons to the lift and effectively jamming it, everyone was now trapped on the bridge dealing with a hostage situation.

"All right! Stop hurting her, she's never done anything to you!" Amano tried to soothe the insane creature.

"It doesn't matter! She's only of use to me when she hurts!" Dilandau took the dagger and gripping Yukari's arms tightly with one arm, used the dagger to cut a slash into Yukari's tensed forearm. Blood dripped quickly down.

"Please stop! It hurts!" Yukari cried out.

"Turn this vessel around now or the other arm is next!" Dilandau growled.

Men moved at the helm and around the bridge setting new coordinates in an attempt to assuage the rage of Allen's crazed sister.

"There! That's more like it?" Dilandau said smugly.

Helliese was awakened by the moan of a child in pain. Never one to ignore the distress of a child and even though she was terribly exhausted still she got out of bed and noticed Chid sleeping in the last empty bed. As she moved closer to him he stirred as if having a nightmare. She sighed heavily and smoothed his blankets. As her spotted wrinkled feeble looking old hands touched the coverlet to his bed, Chid's eyes popped wide open and startled the old woman.

She yelped and jumped back a bit. His eyes frightened her, for they were unnatural. His irises were the color of burnt orange and the pupils had turned into vertical black slits. With supernatural strength he grasped her arm and got out of bed.

"Boy, what is the matter with you? Help! Can somebody hear me?" Helliese bellowed.

Chid walked to the door dragging Helliese with him. She was amazed at his strength and realized he was under Mugwa's control. Too tired and out of sorts, she couldn't think up a spell in her mind to conjure. Against her will this youth was pulling her to where ever Mugwa wanted her to be. She cried out at the pain of his grip on her arm and struggled to free herself, but his grip was tight and unnaturally strong. She had no choice but to walk with him or have her arm pulled out of her socket.

He dragged her out the door into the corridor and no one was in sight to aid her. It was if they were all alone on the entire fortress and no one would know she was being kidnapped. She tried to talk to him.

"Please, child, you must fight for you will. Mugwa has you, but you can fight back. You are Chid, the Duke of Freid. Remember your parents. Remember your will. You are acting king of Asturia. CHID!"

He kept walking slowly, methodically and too soon were at the docking bay. The hanger doors were slightly ajar revealing dark night beyond steal. Destroyer was there waiting patiently for his passengers to mount his back and fly back to the island.

Helliese soon realized that she was going to be forced onto the back of the griffin and thought to chant the spell to release the soul trapped in the griffin's body, but as she began to speak, Chid punched her face and knocked her out. Dragging her across the floor the rest of the way he threw her body over the back of the griffin like a sack of potatoes and straddled the beast to take off to Trilladen.

**************************

When Folken was informed of the mess they were in he flew into a rage. "Where's Merle? She's not at the bridge still?" He bellowed in distress.

"No, M'lord, she's asleep in your quarters. She was worried about you and retired shortly after you left to rescue the young duke." His second assured him. Folken sighed in relief.

Allen spoke up, "If Celena has reverted back to Dilandau, something must have set her off."

Gaddes shook his head. "I didn't see any signs that Dilandau was back. I only saw your sister. She looked out of sorts, but gentle enough. I'm sorry, boss. I should've stayed with her."

"You had no way of knowing, Gaddes. Celena is a gentle soul and would not harm a living thing. I just don't understand how this could have happened." Allen said.

"When I knew your sister as Dilandau, I was not aware that there was another person trapped in a sorcerer's creation. There's no telling how many layers of deception were wrapped around your sister's soul." Folken said sadly. "I'm sorry, Allen."

Allen stared into nothing with arms folded. He nodded absentmindedly and intoned, "Thank the gods that my wife is at least safe. Until we can resolve this crisis, I am going to sit with her-unless you need me."

"No, not now and I'll let you know if I do. Go to sickbay and get some sleep. You look awful." Folken gibed.

"As usual you know just exactly what to say." Allen threw back sardonically.

"Boss, you want me to go with you?" Gaddes asked.

"As concerned as you are about Yukari I think you'll just be a nerve ending." Allen responded.

"She should be okay. After all, Amano is there to protect her. In the meantime I need to send spies out to Palas immediately. Allen, while your in sickbay, see if Helliese is awake and found out anything about Chid's condition." Folken ordered. Allen bowed deeply in line with his sarcasm and left.

Gaddes stayed with Folken to pester him. "There must be something we can do to get to the deck. It's maddening not knowing if Yukari is okay. She's such a sweet person."

"I can see baby-sitting you is going to be a pleasant experience." Folken replied as he rolled his eyes.

"Well we can't just sit here like this!" Gaddes yelled all pent up.

"If it preserves the lives of my crew and Yukari, we certainly can and will. This situation will resolve itself. We are headed out to sea, I presume to journey to Trilladen. Without proper navigation my men won't brave the Vast Waters of Violence, and that means Celena or Dilandau or who ever Allen's sibling is at the moment will need me to reach the island. When that moment arrives we will act then. Until then sit tight and don't distract me." Folken left for his private quarters.

*************

Helliese stirred weakly. Her neck was stiff and her head pounded painfully. She was nauseous and thankful to be facing down, though her stomach hurt. As she opened her eyes she saw thick waves of clouds folding into each other and realized she was over the storm of the sea. She moaned and tried to move, but her whole body ached.

As the hours passed she saw the eye of the storm in the distance and her mind cried out, "No! Not this!"

They reached the island and flew to the center of it where the mountain turned into a crater to the sleeping volcano. There was a huge tree in the center of the volcano, it's trunk massive and gnarled. Standing beside the tree was a red robed priest- his features hidden from view as his hood concealed his face completely. But Helliese knew who it was. It was Mugwa.

Destroyer landed and momentarily knocked the wind out of Helliese. Chid picked her up effortlessly and dragged her over to the tree. Standing her up against the trunk, Chid held her shoulders back against the bark as Mugwa's hands shot out a red energy beam to hold his offering up against the tree. Chid backed off and walked away from the alter of the tree of life and collasped.

Helliese could hardly breath the band of energy held her so snugly to the trunk. She tried to look up and talk, but her mouth was swollen from the blow Chid delivered to her. She tried mental telepathy to reach Mugwa.

You mustn't do this, MUGWA! You are not a god. You cannot control the green dragon.

Mugwa sneered at his quarry and replied with speech in turn. "I can become a god when I steal your blood, your majesty."

If you awaken the dragon and bring it forth from its lair all of Gaea will become unstable. The green dragon lies at the heart of our world. Remove it and the core will burn itself out. Poisonous gasses will seep out of the ground and slowly suffocate our world. You will destroy the very thing you mean to rule.

"No, I don't plan to rule Gaea. I plan to rule Earth. This second earth does not satisfy me. I will be a god on Earth where Atlantis was first born. This substitute world will no longer need to exist." Mugwa informed her smugly. "I guess this means you are no longer needed to be guardian over the life force of this world, Helliese."

You're insane! Earth out grew its need for the glory of Atlantis long ago. The essence of her people seek spiritual maturity. You will not rule Earth, you will fail. The green dragon breathes life into our world, do not think to misuse it for evil. Taking men's free will away will only cost you your soul. Mugwa, your immortal soul is withering away from your evil deeds. Be reasonable for your own sake!

"Do not patronize me with foolish sentiments old witch! I will have your blood and when it feeds the tree of life and awakens the green dragon I will use what time is left on this world to form an invincible army that exists only to serve me! Your time is done, old woman. Time to shed your mortality!"

He stepped up to her and revealed a knife with a bejeweled hilt and a curved blade. He raised the knife to his victim's throat and slowly cut open her jugular. Blood washed down her front cascading down like a waterfall. The blood formed a pool around her feet and soaked into the ground causing the island to rumble. The volcano spat forth a smelly sulfurous cloud as it no longer slept.

Mugwa laughed out loud as Helliese's last breath barely escaped her body. Her heart stopped beating. Her head fell forward and the red energy band dissolved. She fell to the ground dead. Mugwa watched the scene with satisfaction and walked over to Destroyer. He straddled the griffin's back and flew away from his sacrificial slaughter and the young king who would die soon anyway if just left there unaided.

**************

Folken's door to his private quarters were being pounded on furiously. He was asleep spooning his love. She was purring in hers. The pounding invaded his peace as Allen's voice boomed outside!

"Folken! Unlock the door before I break it down! FOLKEN!"

Folken stirred and so did Merle who just realized he was safe back from his mission and holding her. She snuggled into him and he held her tightly as the next tirade of door banging interrupted their private heaven like a slap in the face.

"You'd think since I am the captain of this vessel I would be shown a little more respect." He groaned.

"ALL RIGHT, I'M COMING. Don't have a stroke!" Folken yelled.

"Helliese is missing and so is my son! Come to the sickbay now!" Allen yelled through the door.

"Missing! That's impossible!" He fumbled for a moment with his cloak and walked toward the door.

"I'm coming with you." Merle said.

"Thank you. It'll be nice to have someone with me who doesn't want to shout at me."

As they entered the sickbay, they saw Hitomi and Van sleeping. The princess was awake but wouldn't look at anyone, and Cerise was snoring away as loudly as ever.

"Have you sent out a search party for them?" Folken asked.

"There're not on the ship." Allen said evenly. "I know they're both gone."

"How could they have left the ship? Both were in a weakened condition and neither one knows how to pilot a guymelef or a transit carrier?" Folken asked.

"That doesn't matter. I know they're gone." Allen said hopelessly.

Folken's second ran in with urgent news. "Commander, the spies have radioed back, they sound distressed!" He handed Folken his communicator and Folken turned it on.

"Report." Folken ordered.

The radio blared loud and clear what his spies had to say. "There's no one here. The whole city is a ghost town. There's not a living soul here. The only sign of life is the bands of wild dogs roaming the streets. There isn't even anyone at the castle, only the corpses of the dead soldiers you fired upon when kidnapping the duke. The city is completely empty sir."

Folken's face went white with fear. "GET OUT OF THERE NOW! NOW! DAMMIT! LEAVE IMMEDIATELY!" He shouted into the communicator. The communicator replied with panic stricken voices, "Yes sir, evacuating immed…" The communicator screeched out a loud electronic buzzing hum that developed into a piercing wail. Folken ran out into the corridor and looked out the window in the direction of the Chantal mountain range. Beyond the mountain's horizon a brilliant flash erupted into a loud grumbling earth shaking mushroom cloud. At the radius of the explosion a ring of light formed and grew washing the sky in an eerie light that traveled at a sickeningly fast pace.

The Chantal mountain range began to quake and rumble. Each peek of the mountain range spat out dirt and clouds as long dormant volcanoes breathed back to life.

"What's happening?" Merle ran up to Folken afraid.

"Don't be afraid, my love. Whatever happens, it's all going to be okay. We'll always be together no matter what." Folken held her solemnly.

Allen walked out into the corridor and leaned against the wall as his body lost hope and strength. He saw the beginning of the end. "Well, I guess this means we're at war." He said softly and began to weep quietly. He walked back into sickbay and sat down in the chair next to his wife's bed. He took hold of her hand. She didn't turn to look up at him adoringly though. She had tears in her own eyes threatening to spill out and wash her cheeks.

END OF PART ONE OF THIS SERIES. THE SECOND PART OF THE SERIES IS ABOUT TO BEGIN...THE WAR OF THE GREEN DRAGON