Vision Of Escaflowne Fan Fiction ❯ When Escaflowne Rescued Trilladen ❯ The Day After ( Chapter 27 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter Two

***********

The Day After

***************************

Like thieves in the night the citizens of Palas stalked the farms and small villages on route to Godashim. They took note of how many children there were. Yet they passed by in peace. Fortona would be their first target.

Freid is a country that loves her children with a sweet reverence and gratitude for them. Freid is a devout country whose peoples were entrusted with the seal of Atlantis. It's temples all filled with families and prayers, chants and mantras. But the children were regarded as gifts from the gods. Each one a unique blessing and message of hope from them. Atlantis was gone, but the best of what it once was could be found in the simple peasantry of Freid. This was a country of great heart.

The Asturian citizens trudged along like zombies begging for death, driven by pain and terror of mind. Though feet bled and people dropped from starvation and exhaustion, the walking was the only thing that kept the pain at bay. And so they labored in their journey for a fortnight fending off the fiend that stoked their terror with a mindless marching that sometimes delivered a sweet end in death. Pregnant women were the first to surrender. Children and the elderly were next. No matter, it was the young strong ones that would carry out the deeds of evil that kept the pain and fear from consuming them whole.

No one enjoyed free will any longer. No one knew joy.

******************************************************************* **********

Mugwa watched the progress of his mindless minions as they kidnapped each babe, every child, all the little ones out of the country of Freid. His eyes lit up with sadistic merriment at the scenes laid before him. Wailing children, sobbing mothers, anguished fathers. Hope leaving an entire country. He would replace despair with rage. He smiled at his own evil ways with amusement.

Walking over to the crystals that now grew as tall as he, as vibrant as precious gems, he began to train them. The power of Atlantis, its knowledge etched in the seal now embedded in his twisted mind, he exercised telepathy and trained each crystal to become of hollow gram, an image of a missing child blaming the people of Ispania for stealing them away while they slept.

Lovingly Mugwa caressed the smooth facets of the crystals, treating them like his own children. His mental images transferred to the centers of each one…topaz, emerald, garnet, sapphire, ruby, and amethyst. Each one would have a message to bring to the outer realms of Gaea. He would see to that.

First, Freid would have the red ruby-like crystals to show them the hole in their souls where hope once lived. It would be replaced by fear. Fear, the destruction of all things spiritual. He didn't want the faithful devout people of Freid. He wanted them stripped of that foundation.

He worked tirelessly through the night. The second moon seemed to pulsate, as if anticipating a cataclysm. The crystals were his messengers, his tools to manipulate the populace of Gaea, the ones he would use to his ultimate end.

But first, he would cleanse this second earth of all non-human beings, for they were of no use to him. Hate always works best for that.

By morning he was done. Each shining beautiful crystal resonated with the will of Mugwa in deceptive images that would rile one race to annihilate another. Intolerance and hate would work so well. It's strength and power would cover Gaea in blood. When he was satisfied he sent the crystals on their way. Now that he controlled the forces of nature itself on all of Gaea, he could simply command the dirt to give way to each crystal and carry it through the bowels of the earth to its proper place. Freid would have the red crystal-for blood vengence.

************************************************************** *******************

The morning came after the explosion that rocked the floating fortress. Folken's faith and integrity were tested sorely. Not knowing how long he would live to love his kitten he wanted to love her intimately, so he stayed away from her. Merle felt desolate without his warmth, the sound of his breathing, his intoxicating smell. She wept quietly in his bed while he mapped strategies with his second, Darius. They had much to discuss, many tactics to hash over for retaking the bridge.

Van never had the chance to sleep lying down, so he was sleeping while he walked, paced really. He wanted to slap Cerise for disturbing his peace. He awoke to the news that Gaea was dying. Let his queen sleep. Better for her to think that their child still had a home to be born into.

Edwina and Allen stayed in the sickbay. He refused to give up hope in anything. He refused to believe that Chid was lost to him, or that Gaea would collapse, that Edwina would not forgive him. He wanted the promise of her love to guide his future. He would not fail. His whole family was briefly all in one place and he would have that again.

Gaddes, always a man of action was laying out a plan of his own. Yukari meant so much to him, Amano be damned. Ironic that he should feel more at ease with her predicament knowing that Amano was with her. He skulked about the hallway looking for an in to the bridge. Not hearing anything he felt anxious. What if they are all dead because of Dilandau? Or Celena? Or whoever Allen's sibling was?

While the morning light broke the despair of the last night's destruction was eased by the yellowing of the skyline at the base of the Chantal mountain range. But with the light came the revelation of the previous day's misfortune. Questions would be asked by the crew of the fortress.

Cerise was the first to disrupt the morning's brief peace. Storming into the sickbay she trounced upon the sleeping couple. Allen's head rested on Edwina's pillow beside her. The princess slept fitfully, Allen was shaken awake ruthlessly. Blurry eyed and confused he blinked hard to see Cerise looking agitated with him.

"Do wake up, sir knight. I have need of your services." She said sarcastically.

"Good morning, witch." He replied in snide tone.

"Do you think we could retake the bridge before the growing season is out? We need to get Chid, Helliese too."

Allen looked at her balefully. "Does insanity run in your family? The healer is dead, and none to replace her."

Cerise tapped her foot quickly and rolled her eyes. "Allow me the benefit of the doubt. If I'm nuts, I'll take it over your brand of sanity. Chid is still alive-barely. Shall we rescue him or let him die as Mugwa intended. He has no more use for him, having both the seal and the control of the green dragon."

"And just yesterday you were asking who Mugwa was. Interesting. So you want us to fly into the violence of the ocean to rescue them?"

"We have to talk to Dilandau. He's actually on the right track wanting to get to the island." She said.

"That may prove to be a bit of a trick, as the bridge is sealed off and we have a hostage situation." Allen paused and brooded for a moment. "I just don't know if he's really back for good. I think I can get to Celena. I've got to try."

Their talking stirred the princess. She woke up and looked at the two of them. Her body was healing, but still sore. She knew she needed to start moving around, or she'd get stiff. "Take me with you. I think I can help. After all, I'm an empath, and Dilandau is a soul suffering."

"Absolutely not. I won't risk you to any more danger. You've got to rest and recover." Allen fearfully insisted.

"If I don't start moving around I won't be able to. I can help. I know I can. I feel it. I sense his pain, his grief."

"Dilandau grieves?" Allen asked.

"Yes, I know it."

Cerise made a decision listening to them. She walked to the other side of the bed and put her hand underneath Edwina's neck. "Your left collarbone is set properly. Helliese saw to that, but a sudden jolt could shift the bone. You will need help walking. Allen, grab her waist and lift her carefully. I'll bring a gurney for when she grows weary. We can help her move until she can no longer."

Allen hesitated. He looked at his wife and bent down and kissed her forehead. Edwina's eyes closed and tears sprang to her eyes. She loved him so. When he withdrew she looked up at him. He saw her tears and bent back down to kiss them gently away. She lifted her right hand to touch his cheek and felt the searing pain of moving just slightly. Trying to conceal it, she held her breath and continued to try to reach for his face. With success she lightly caressed his cheek.

"I love you." She told him. Allen's heard those precious words and relief and a sense of awe washed over him. Unshed tears watered his eyes as he smiled down at his bride.

"I needed to hear that. I have much to tell you, but it'll be okay. I can do what I must. I can believe in a future for us. Hope carries me through this dark time because of your love, Edwina."

She kissed his cheek because she could reach it without lifting her head, but wanted more. He tenderly caressed her lips with his and then spoke softly. "I must try to rescue my son, Chid."

She barely nodded her head. "Help me up. I can help."

With concern Allen and Cerise slowly made progress with Edwina out of sick bay. One of Cerise's witches kept a vigil outside. Both sage witches looked at each other and without speaking the other went off to fetch a gurney.

**************************************************************** ****************

All of Freid awoke in the morning to a great wailing and howling. Parents in a frantic state searched fruitlessly for their children. A loud crying filled the air as panic turned to tortured grief as every parent's worst fear was realized. The ground shook and rumbled as giant ruby like crystals erupted from the ground. Fortuna, Godashim and small villages that grew rice patties witnessed this strange phenomenon.

Every town, small village, and farming community felt the ground beneath their feet quake and rumble and then witnessed the crystals ascending from the earth as the ground gave way and pushed its evil burden into the sunlight. Fascination overtook people as they gathered around and were astonished to see the scenes of wolfmen and Ispanian soldiers steal their children. In Fortona, the monks in the temple tried to comfort grief stricken families, but soon that process changed into trying to harness the rage of mothers and fathers who wanted their children back.

It only took a half-day for all of Freid to unite in a declaration of war against the Ispano government. And since wolfmen are largely a tribal lot who looked to their own, no mercy would be shown to them.

****************************************************************** *************

Palas had been blown away in a clean sweep explosion. The fortress drifted over the destruction, searching for any sign to recover the bodies of Folken's service men. None were to be found. Geckos were already scavenging through the ruins, looking for anything useful or of value. The mountain of rubble that was once a glorious city sprawled out like a cancer on the horizon to the sea.

One person was fascinated by the destruction. Dilandau. As if in a fantasy world of his own, he let down his guard and lumbered over to the viewing window to see the blasted down city. He shouldn't have made that mistake. Amano saw that Dilandau was tired. Yukari dozed in and out of consciousness through the night as the fortress made its way closer to the shores.

Dilandau's knife had fallen to his side and in that moment, Amano grabbed Yukari and wrested her away from Dilandau, and box-kicked his face, knocking him out. Amano wasn't fooled by his appearance as Celena. He only saw his Yukari was in danger and he reacted, but when Dilandau fell, his head hit the floor hard from the force of the blow and he suffered a severe concussion. When he didn't move the rest of the crew sprang to action, opening the bridge to the rest of the ship and in flew Gaddes.

Yukari was blurry eyed and leaning into Amano who looked tired but relieved.

He strode over to them purposefully. "Are you alright?" He asked them both and they nodded. Then he walked over to see if Allen's sister was okay.

"What happened to Celena? The boss is going to want to know." Gaddes asked.

"She said her name was Dilandau, and I believed her, so I took matters into my hands when the opportunity arose. She needs attention at sickbay and a guard that's alert." Amano snapped.

"The boss isn't going to like this." Gaddes shook his head.

"The boss isn't going to like what?" Allen asked. "Celena! What did you do to her?" He yelled at Amano.

"She called herself Dilandau, not Celena. And she cut Yukari's throat for fun. I'm going to have her looked at by one of the healers." Amano stated and left with Yukari who was still in a daze.

Allen looked back at Cerise who was pushing the princess in a gurney to the bridge. "Cerise, go get a healer! My sister is hurt." Cerise looked at Edwina who was looking up to see Allen's form kneeled and bent over his sister. She whispered something to Cerise and Cerise pushed her over to where Dilandau lay. Then she left to fetch a healer.

"Allen, help me down to her. I can help." Edwina said.

"No, not if it means you're going to take on her injuries. You can't take any more and Helliese isn't here to watch over you. I won't allow the risk."

"I won't absorb her wound. It's a brain wound and I can think through her injury. It's different. Trust me, Allen." Edwina explained. Princess Edwina put her hands pulled back and gasped. Pity washed over her as she looked at the beautiful young woman.

Allen hesitated. "If anything goes wrong, I'm pulling you out of this." He said as he gently lifted her down and next to Dilandau. He held onto her as she put her hands on Dilandau's still face. She closed her eyes and traveled through the recesses of the mind of Dilandau/Celena. She sensed, more than felt a tortured person, locked into a chasm of contradictions that were so polarized they threatened to tear her soul apart.

The healer walked in, white robes flowing. It was a Percival , a beautiful young man, about twenty. His piercing gray iris all the more accentuated outer-ringed black. Tall and broad shouldered, his hair was the color of pewter, giving him the appearance of a wise old soul. Indeed, he had a gift for empathy, though not an empath. His perceptions were concise and a proper diagnosis came quickly from him most of the time. He looked at Princess Edwina and their eyes met. As if in silent communication they began to work as a team.

Princess Edwina put her hands back onto the smooth still face of the young woman and immediately reached Dilandau's subconscious and saw a pitiful image in her own mind.

Percival spoke, "Princess, can you tell me what you see?"

"There is a little girl huddled in a dark corner. She's crying and rocking back and forth. She's very frightened. Her head hurts and her heart aches. Her hair is short and blonde, her eyes blue. She keeps whining and begging to be taken home. Everytime she speaks a young man comes into the room. He looks tall and handsome, like he could be a sibling, except his eyes are red with bloodlust. He's mean. When she speaks, he pushes her nose into the floor and laughs."

Percival pried open the unconscious girl's eyelids and was startled to see purple iris rolling toward the back of her head. He immediately knew there would need to be a fusion. But he sensed a physical injury as well. "We must get her to sickbay, she has a concussion and could slip into a coma. We have to wake her, and she could be violent. There are proper restraints we can use there. Princess can she share your gurney, there isn't much time?"

Princess Edwina nodded. Allen and Percival carefully lifted the patient onto the gurney. Edwina's heart broke at the look on Allen's face. She put her arms lovingly around Dilandau and began to hum a lullaby her parents used to sing to her.

Gaddes looked at Yukari starting to become more alert. She looked up wonderingly at Amano, but Amano's attention was focused on the scene before them all of Dilandau. She saw worry etched in his brow and knew he was worried that he'd kicked her too hard. She sensed Gaddes staring at her and looked at him. A gentle smile formed on his face.

"I'm glad you're alright, Yukari. I was worried." And then he left and she watched his back retreat.

Amano put his arm around her possessively. "Let's get your neck looked at while we're at it." She nodded and rubbed dried blood off of it.

Folken was informed of the change of status on the bridge, he left Darius, his second, to take command and retired to his private chambers. There he found Merle curled up on his bed. The sight of her sleeping and looking forlorn touched him and he eased down next to her to comfort her while she slept. She sensed him in her sleep and snuggled up to him and purred. He wrapped his arms around her and kissed her on the top of her head, laid back and fell into an exhausted slumber.

*************************************************************** ******************

"Sir, there is urgent business." The goggled short ugly accountant hounded Dryden. Dryden was bathing in morning sunlight spying his wife swimming in the lake. He smiled at the vision of her and ignored the pesky little man.

"When I asked you to come to my paradise, it wasn't to bother me on my honeymoon. I have a message to send to the acting King. I'd like to extend my vacation with Millerna. So don't bug me, just go." Dryden rolled on his side, dismissing his employee.

"But sir! Palas has been destroyed and the young king is gone! War has broke out! I didn't come here at your summons! I came here to get you to return to your duties!" The goggled ugly little man squeaked.

Dryden had been sipping on a fruit cup, stopped and glared at his accountant.

"Are you telling me some kind of sick joke?" He sounded dangerously annoyed.

"I wish I were." The little man whined. "Everything has changed. Gaea's unstable. There have been strange earthquakes and storms. A huge blast leveled Palas and it is not known if the Duke of Freid is even alive!"

Dryden threw his drink down and swore. "I take one small honeymoon, and the world decides it's time to end. Well, guess I'm back on the job." He sighed and then his chest fell and his shoulders slumped as the news sank in that so many were already dead in his country. With resolve he decided to confront Millerna with the terrible news. As she swam up to shore he waved at her to come to him. The young woman in love did so promptly. Laughing and happy she ran into him and threw her arms around him.