Weiss Kreuz Fan Fiction / Noir Fan Fiction ❯ There Can Be Only Two ❯ Prologue ( Prologue )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: If there is anyone out there actually believing in me trying to get money out of writing this or even me owning those characters, he is hopefully locked away securely and far away from any lawyer that might try to sue me for this piece of fan fiction. I don't even like Weiß Kreuz - I blame my friend Panda-chan for causing all of this. (She also was a great help with proofreading and especially balancing)
 
[#] foot notes, see end of chapter.
***************************************************************** ********************************************
 
 
Prologue
 
Naoe Nagi was staring out of his classroom's window, overlooking a rather anticlimactic landscape. Had his classroom been on the other side of the building his view would have contained the impressive skyscrapers of downtown Shinjuku, or the Sunplaza 1 building in Ikebukuro, the more interesting features among Tokyo's skyline; but it was not. On this side of the building the only thing in view were the endless rows of buildings, the neighborhoods full of people living their normal, boring lives every day till they died. Not aware of the evil that lurked behind this façade of normality and boredom. That even lurked within their own hearts, always underneath the surface, never to see the light of a normal boring day.
 
Especially not this day in it's splendid ordinariness. The gray clouds - not dark enough to be threatening and appealing in a morbid way, yet far from being fleecy and pleasing - hung low in the sky. The light was dull in these early hours, and it was hazy. The Kantou and Sanchi mountain ranges of Yamanashi-ken to the west of Tokyo were barely visible and the proud sight of the Fuji-san was only left to the eye of imagination - to be seen only by those who knew, only by those who had seen the holy mountain where it had been from the beginning of all time - hidden behind a hundred kilometers of air polluted by the millions of people living in the area around Tokyo, hidden by clouds, hidden by… .
 
Yet being on of those more imaginative people, the lapsed volcano though was not the matter on Nagi's mind, nor was it anything happening in his current proximity; his classmates not here yet and thus the classroom being empty. It was his father figure, his mentor and close friend - his older brother in a strange way - that was bothering him. To be exactly: it was the strange behavior of Brad Crawford earlier that morning that had Nagi wondering. The Brad Crawford he knew, had always had an aura of self confidence around him, an aura of knowledge, an aura of respect. Always perfectly dressed and always in control. The person he met this morning, was a stressed out businessman after one too many hours of overtime work. An unshaven, tired out man who's last words had been words of warning.
 
"Be careful." had been those words from the man that had stumbled out of his room to wish Nagi goodbye. Soft spoken and with a trace of something….something….UnCrawford like. With a normal parent the phrase would have been nothing out of the ordinary. With Brad Crawford those words and his outer appearances had seemed to contain something along the lines of: "The world is coming to its end and we are all going to die." - being declared by the major leaders of the world simultaneously. At least in Nagi's opinion.
 
Crawford had been strict, he had been cruel. Some people even would have gone as far as saying that he was a damnable bastard and downright asshole[1]. In any case, he had never ever shown signs of compassion for his companions beyond the scope of the most improbable missions. Being raised by the secret organization called Eszett to be a heartless professional killer was partly a reason for that. Being a precognitive human - almost always to know what was going to happen if he wished to know - another. For him to give a word of nonspecific warning was nothing that should ever have happened. Not to mention his unkempt appearance. He would never have guessed that Crawford needed to shave at all.
Lost in his thoughts and worries Nagi sighted. The depressing weather was not helping to raise his mood, either.
 
A few moments later a soft and asking, female voice cut through his thoughts: "Naoe- sempai?" The small framed boy reacted, instinctively answering the call with a quick acknowledging "Hai" in his soft voice even before he had turned his head around. Nagi faced the person who had addressed him so formally and briefly wondered why some younger schoolmate would have anything to ask him.
He looked up into the face of a small short haired girl dressed in the typical girl's uniform of his school. He also looked up into the barrel of a silencer, fit to a Beretta, respectively held in the petit hand of aforesaid girl and partly blocking the view of her quiet beautiful face and striking big, reddish-brown eyes. It was the last look of Naoe Nagi's life as the girl pulled the trigger without any hesitation, her face betraying no emotion of any kind.
 
***************************************************************** *
[1] Most of those people though did not have the chance to voice that particular opinion or at least not for a very long time - being dead effectively hindering them to do so.