Weiss Kreuz Fan Fiction ❯ Blood* ❯ Connection #4 ( Chapter 10 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

Connection #4
*Dan*
I raced all the way into the hospital. One of the other nurses tried to stop me.
“Sir!” she yelled. “You can't come back here! Visiting hours is over!”
“I don't care!” I yelled. “I need to see my girlfriend!” I pushed past her and kept running.
“Sir!” the nurse cried out at me. I made it to room #227. I opened the door. My girlfriend, Liberty, looked up at me.
“Danny,” she said. “Your back.” I rushed over to her.
“Liberty!” I exclaimed. She eyed me funny.
“What's wrong?” she asked. I sank down at her bedside.
“Tell me Liberty,” I said. “Did you have an attack earlier? Think hard now.” Liberty took a moment think about it.
“How much earlier?” she asked.
“A few minutes ago!” Liberty thought about it again.
“Come to think of it, yes.” She looked over at me.
“Why? What's wrong?” I swallowed as I stared her down.
“Lower your gown and show me your right shoulder from behind,” I said. Liberty blinked.
“Why?” she asked.
“Just do it,” I said. My girlfriend sighed.
“Fine,” Liberty replied. She turned her back to me and lowered her gown. My eyes widened in horror. On her shoulder was the number eighteen in Kanji. So I wasn't hearing things. Liberty looked down at the burn with me.
“What's going on?” she asked. “Do you have one too?” I froze up for a moment. My mind debated on telling her the truth. I figured that I might as well now. I think she has an idea of what's going on.
I said nothing as I turned around and showed her my number. I heard her go silent in shock.
“Number fifteen?” she asked in a mumble.
“Yes,” I said. I turned to face her again.
“Did you hear any voices while you had the attack?” I asked. “Think hard and remember!” Liberty took a moment to think about it.
“Why yes, come to think of it,” she said. I listened in closely.
“What did it say?” I asked. Liberty turned to me, dead-on.
“You and thirty-six others will die on the Fire Festival of next year,” she said. I looked at her puzzled. It's close to what I heard.
“Thirty-six others?” I asked.
“Yes,” she said with a nod. I thought about that for a moment.
“That would be you and me,” I said at last. I looked up at her.
“Then, who are the other thirty-five?” I asked. Liberty only looked up at me in silence.