Weiss Kreuz Fan Fiction ❯ Playing the Part ❯ Part Three ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Part Three

Ken jumped to his feet intending to let that Omi kid really have it. Who did the little brat think he was, anyways? He probably wasn't even old enough to be visiting a club, let alone kissing his boyfriend! "You're that-"

"You were in the closet," Farfarello interrupted in his flat voice. "Is that one of your things, like ironing?"

Ken wanted to scream.

"Ironing?" Nagi looked interested. "What, do you like to iron or something?"

"I like to blend," Farfarello offered. He looked at the blond kid. "What do you like to do?"

The kid looked confused. "Um...ride my bike?"

Ken snorted. What a stupid-assed kid! "I'll bet I know what you-"

Schuldich was quick to grab Ken's hand and drag him into the living room. "We'll be back in a bit," he called over his shoulder.

Ken fumed but allowed Schuldich to lead him down the hall and push him into his room. The redhead slammed the door shut and locked it behind them.

"You shouldn't have done that! I was gonna give it good to that little-"

"He doesn't know," Schuldich interrupted, flopping down onto his bed.

"What?"

"He doesn't know about you," Schuldich repeated. "I scanned his mind. The kid's adopted and he's desperate to find his real family. He went to a private investigation agency and hired Yohji. Then along the way, he developed a huge crush on him. Yesterday Yohji found some big lead and so he and the kid went to the club to celebrate. They kissed and the boy been on cloud nine ever since."

"The Tsukiyono Omi case," Ken muttered, sitting down next to Schuldich. "Yohji told me about it." He sighed and stared sullenly at the carpet. "This sucks ass."

"Ken-"

"It's not like it matters, not really but it just kinda hurts, you know? He wanted someone else and then didn't even let me know." Ken absently twisted the hem of his black T-shirt between cold fingers. "I thought that...I mean I didn't expect that we'd be together forever or anything but I guess I sorta hoped maybe...I feel like such a dumbass now."

Schuldich slung his arm around Ken's shoulders. "The world's full of assholes and that's a fact of life. You're not the dumbass, that fucker is. If you were my boyfriend, I wouldn't let you go for anything, not even some dopey-eyed kid."

Ken snorted. "You don't even know me."

"I'm getting a pretty good idea."

He sighed again. "You don't have to do this you know."

"Do what?"

"Comfort me and all that." Ken pulled away. "I'm not a girl, I'm not gonna cry or anything. It was just a shock, seeing that kid here."

Jade eyes locked with his own. "I don't do anything I don't want to."

"Yeah, well..." Ken looked away. "I appreciate it."

Schuldich stood up. "What do you say we forget all about this for a while and go visit your apartment? Then we can do anything you want to. My treat."

Ken managed a smile. "I'd like that."

~*~*~*~*~

There was a knock on the door.

Ken froze in the act of feeding Plus Ninety-two, his beloved spider plant and threw Schuldich a panicked look. "Is it him?" he whispered, carefully setting down his watering jug.

Schuldich nodded.

His heart rattled frantically inside his chest. "Oh God!" he blurted out.

Schuldich grabbed him roughly by the arm and nearly shoved him into the kitchen.

Ken was hysteric. "Why'd he hafta come here? I can't face him now! What am I gonna do? Hell I'm not ready for this crap!"

The knocking grew louder. And then Yohji started to shout. "You in there Kenken? It's me, open up!"

Ken gripped at the counter hard. It hurt, to hear that affectionate nickname spoken so casually. As if everything was okay. As if they were still a couple. As if-

"You stay out of sight," Schuldich ordered. "I'll handle this."

"What? Why?" A thought struck him. "You're not gonna hurt him, are you?"

One red brow arched. "Don't you think he deserves it?"

"Oh come off it! This isn't some soap op- "

"I know you're in there, Ken!" Yohji hollered, stilling banging away. "Today's your day off!"

Wide eyes flew to the German. "Did you hear that? He knows I'm here!"

Schuldich patted Ken's head. "You just calm down and leave everything to me." He stalked out of the kitchen.

Ken could do nothing but comply. He ducked back into the living room and knelt down behind Up Forty, his enormous bougainvillea plant. His position allowed him to observe to door without being seen.

Schuldich strode towards the door while rapidly shedding his long, black coat and short-sleeved dress shirt.

Ken decided then that Schuldich helping him was a bad idea. "What the hell are you doing?" he screamed loudly in his mind.

~Watch and learn kiddo.~

Schuldich yanked open the door.

"About time you-" Yohji abruptly stopped and stared.

The German's voice was hard and rude. "What the fuck do you want?"

Ken had a perfect view of a wide-eyed Yohji, his jaw dropping as he stared at a half-naked Schuldich. Inwardly, Ken had to smirk. He knew it was petty and childish but dammit, it served Yohji right.

His eloquent, urbane ex began to stutter. It was something Ken had never seen Yohji do. Yohji was always so cool, so unruffled. Nothing ever really bothered him. And now, he was fumbling it up no better than Ken would. "Who...who are..." he trailed off, speechless.

"Who am I?" Schuldich casually leaned against the door.

Wordlessly, Yohji nodded.

"I'm Schuldich. A friend," Here he emphasized the word 'friend' in a decidedly unfriendly way. "of Ken's."

That answer didn't seem please Yohji. "I mean, what the hell are you doing here?" He was seething as he got over his initial shock. "And where's Ken?"

"You're asking a lot of questions Kudou."

Yohji peered down his glasses, his eyes narrowing. "How'd you know my name?"

Schuldich sneered. "I make it a point to keep track of all Ken's ex-boyfriends."

Ken had to forcibly quell the urge to gasp. "I can't believe you just said that! " he thought.

~I like to keep the ball in my court.~

Schuldich succeeded in shocking Yohji for a second time. "What?!" He goggled for a few seconds before anger began to take over again. "Where the hell do you get off-"

"It's over Kudou," Schuldich interrupted dismissively. "Ken isn't too big on the idea of infidelity."

Yohji blanched and that was all Ken saw before Schuldich slammed the door and bolted it.

~How's that for a dramatic last line?~

Ken shook his head, a mixture of emotions swelling up inside him. "Pretty good," he muttered.

Schuldich peered through the peekhole in the door. "He's leaving."

Ken scrambled to his feet and sank down onto his sofa. "He's not even gonna try and stay? Not to justify himself or see me or give me-"

"Because he knows." Schuldich leaned against the far wall and folded his arms. "He knows he fucked up and he's feeling guilty that he hurt you but he likes the kid a lot. More than like, really."

"Well that's good to hear," Ken grumbled, rubbing at his eyes. He felt incredibly tired, all of a sudden. "As long as he knows."

"He'll be back. He was so stunned to see me and knowing that you know about the kid...the guy didn't know what to do. I could hear him planning to come back to talk to you."

"Great," Ken said unenthusiastically. "Breaking up is always a bunch of fun."

Cool green eyes assessed him. "Do you want to see him when he comes back here? Hear his side of the story and maybe forgive him?"

He never wanted to see Yohji again and yet he did. But forgiveness? That much he couldn't do. "I...I think it'll prolly be best if I don't see him. I can't forgive him and I don't think anything he can say will make me feel better."

Schuldich smiled. "You knew that last night but hearing him now and being back here brought back memories, didn't they? You don't need him Ken, you're fine on your own. Yohji shouldn't have a place in your life, not anymore."

Ken grinned wryly. "I wish you wouldn't read my mind."

"Hey, I'm on your side." Schuldich glanced at his watch. "Grab your stuff and let's book it. I'll treat you to lunch."

"I don't really feel like-"

"Tough."

Sighing, Ken gathered up his backpack and duffle bag. He gave his apartment one final look about before following Schuldich out the door.