Weiss Kreuz Fan Fiction ❯ When It Rains, It Pours ❯ No Dust [Ken] ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Disclaimer: I dun own these people! @-x My muses are just so darned promiscuous…

No Dust [Ken]
By Koyuki Aode

I am in love…

…with kinako mochi. It's a trivial novelty, I realize, but there's something about the beige, silk-soft, almost tasteless powder that appeals to my tongue. And it's not just any old kinako mochi I love, it's Mikawaya kinako mochi. Those small oozy blocks of green rice concoction with just a kiss of confectionery lightness, dusted modestly with kinako. Can bliss be far from this heaven-sent recipe? Just thinking about those tightly packed morsels… Well, there's just so much a person can take.

So when it began to rain, and I was stuck inside on my day off, I began a staring contest with the inertly tiny structure of plastic encasing those very green mochi chunks sitting on Omi's desk. As it ended up, I'm here in the living room sitting with my butt on the floor, starting on Omi's collection of Rurouni Kenshin, and laughing and "ooh"ing through a mouthful of rice mush (also occasionally choking on powder!). In divinity, and a moment of child-like insanity, I admit that life can indeed be good at times. And darn it if Omi doesn't have good taste.

Humming "Tactics" to myself, I stand up and reach for the next tape as the current one ends. Those Kenshin guys, they can really pick fights, can't they? And don't start with the red-hair, violet-eye thing. That's just creepy. The mere visual thought sends a thorough shiver down my spine, as I mechanically place the finished tape into the rewinder, simultaneously shoving the next one into the VCR. Rubbing my drowsy eyes with the sleeve of my orange shirt, I turn to face the dim glow of gray clouds. I like to wear my shirt backwards when it's cold, it serves as a semi-good robe, especially on lazy days like this.

A delicate chill that coats the window envelops me in a quiet hug, and my hand leaves a small fog figure upon the glass. As the intermittent bellows of the storm rage upon the streets, thoughts of my soccer kids come to mind. Some will want to play soccer, some will relish the flooded fields.

The breaths from my mouth cause small clouds of fog to block my view, as I strain to see somebody, anybody that might be outside. Doesn't anyone enjoy the rain? From the television, I can hear Kaoru once again giving Kenshin a good beat-down, and with a stifled snort, the sides of my mouth pull into a smirk, as I reach down for another piece of mochi to plop into my mouth. The sun always shines for them, doesn't it? I want the sun to come back.

"Would you like some tea?" The sudden presence surprises me, stepping into my room, holding a mug out to me as I stand in my rumpled PJs with a faceful of mochi, and fists of kinako dust. One of his eyebrows twitch as he sees the mess I've caused.

"Aa…" I rub the back of my neck lamely. Isn't he working today with Omi? "Aren't you working today with Omi?" Shouldn't he be in the shop? "Shouldn't you be~"

"He drank all of the coffee, and now he's working on the green tea." He's annoyed. One thing you don't see everyday is this particular redhead in a slightly irked mood over a drink. "I don't see why he's finished off so much, we haven't actually_had_any_customers today. You'd better take some before it's gone."

Covering my mouth with my sleeve, I inhale the vaguely intermingling scents of green tea and flowers that emanate from his direction. Aesthetic earth, perfumed with floral spice, the two naturally compliment each other. Like an exquisite garden of violets and reds, among a sea of emerald and brown soil. Maybe it is an ideal day for rain, to animate such a garden. Maybe…

A thin red eyebrow remains raised as the mug floats in front of me. "Aa… 'K, thanks Aya." I carefully take the mug from his grasp and set it down. Nodding assuredly, he steps back and turns on his heel. With a quick sigh, I go back to the playing television and wait for the door to close. It doesn't.

"Aya?"

"Ken. What do you think?" His voice echoes softly against the door, as I watch the back of his hesitant figure.

What do I think? About what? Kenshin? You? Me? Soccer? Mochi? The rain? Ka-

"Have you noticed his state of mind, lately?"

Omi. Ever since that whole mess with his family, the kid's been drowning his sorrows in more ways than one, like the… now dissipating rain. The flood of emotions that should be there are only a lulling series of gentle waves. The part of him that should be there isn't quite together, either. He almost got himself caught on a mission just two nights ago. No, not a kid. It's not a kid I'm thinking about.

"I don't know what to do, other than give him time, or be his friend." I wonder if Aya caught my voice shift on that last word. His shadow seems contemplative from my view, but I'd have to see his face to know.

Before he reacts, a muffled crash catches his attention, and the faint whimper that accompanies it catches mine.

Violet eyes narrow in my direction. "… The shop." I push past him before he can finish saying it, and blaze my way to the source of the sounds.

When I arrive, bursting through the door, my feet slip out of control, causing me to tumble. "What the~?"

"Matte!" A strong hand comes up behind my back, and another grabs my arm, steadying my balance. After a moment of struggling, when my position finally stills, the hands fall. "He's gone." Curiously, my eyes follow his gaze to the scribbled note.

~Business. Omi.~

"-The hell is he- Why would he- What business??!" Oh, he'll get it when he gets back. When I find him. "There aren't any deliveries today. He never leaves the shop unattended!" I throw the front door open and glare at the glistening street, clenching my fist within my sleeve. Damned sun.

Aya's iron grip locks on to my tense wrist before I can do anything, and in the calmest voice, he nods back inside. "Call Youji."

My head turns and my mouth moves to argue, but the way his lips remain tight against his scowl forces me into submission. These cold, glareful guys always have that irresistible charming quality about them.

"Fine."

Yeah, like he's going to help.