XXXHolic Fan Fiction ❯ Always By Your Side ❯ Always By Your Side ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Always By Your Side

DISC: I do not own xxxHolic or any of the characters. These belong to Clamp – those crazy mangaka who make us all practically faint for the shonen-ai and then YANK it out from under us. Clamp, if I can have one request, it’s to give us some DouWata love by the end of this series! PLEASE!



Leaves were falling in the yard, scenting the air with the acric smell that made autumn so enjoyable. The sun shone overhead through fluffy cumulus clouds in the Indian Summer, warming the bared shoulders of the young persons who were doing more playing in the yard than actually raking of leaves.

Really, the mystical space didn’t need anyone to maintain it. But it was the principal of the thing that made Watanuki desire to keep up the effort.

Still, though, he didn’t have the heart to scold the girls into working on the yard – not when they were having such fun. He hadn’t seen Maru and Moro this enthusiastic since weeks before Yuuko had… gone.

Well, it didn’t bear worrying about. He’d just get to the yard later. With a sigh, he set his rake down and walked over to the porch, sitting companionably close to the Archer who was watching the twins as they played, Mokona bouncing frantically between them. His stoic expression, unreadable to most, Watanuki could see was amused by the slight upturn of his lips on the right side.

Shaking his head, he leaned back, resting his back on one of the roof’s support pillars. The angle of the sun was keeping the porch brightly lit, and the warmth felt good, relaxing. Earlier, Mokona had set up a radio to play music to entertain them all while they “worked hard at cleaning the yard!” and now, the soft tunes helped to relax him further.

“Oi.”

He cracked open one eyelid to glare at the archer – quite a feat with just one eye, but he had years of practice, glaring at Doumeki, so he knew he could pull it off. However, before he could remind the big idiot that his name was not “Oi,” he noticed Doumeki was holding out a glass of cold cider toward him. Without a word, he took the glass, closed his eye again, and leaned back to rest for a bit.

“Oh! I love this song!” Mokona pounced on the seer’s lap and then bounced over to turn up the volume.

“Mokona! Watch where you’re going! You almost made me spill-” That was all he got out before Mokona shushed him.

“SHHHH! You should listen to this song. The lyrics are so nice.” The black plushie closed it’s eyes and started swaying in time to the music.

“Whatever! I’m just saying…”

“SH!” Mokona’s glare was actually a bit intimidating – which he’d never have imagined – and he snapped his mouth shut. “You. Listen.” The bunny-black-bean-bun glared one more time for good measure and then closed his eyes again, returning to a swaying status.

By this time, the twins had come up on the porch and were sitting back to back, their eyes closed, also swaying to the music.

Sighing softly, he looked at Doumeki helplessly and followed suit, closing his eyes and letting the feeling of the day envelop him.

Nani mo iwazu ni sugu soba ni iru yo
Donna toki mo
Kanashii omoi wa sotto tsutaete yo
Kiiteru kara
Without saying anything, I’m right by your side
At anytime
Gently tell me your sad thoughts
Because I’m listening

As Watanuki listened, he noticed there was something… something… about this song that felt familiar.

Umaku iezu ni kimi o komarasete
Shimau no nara
Hitomi o tojite sotto yudanete yo
Dakishimeru kara
If my inability to express things well
Troubles you
Then close your eyes and gently entrust me
Because I’ll embrace you

He couldn’t keep his eyes closed. These lyrics… his expression melted into one of concerned puzzlement. And, slyly, he looked out of the corner of his eye.

Sugite yuku kisetsu no naka de ima
Kono mune ni tashika na mono wa hitotsu ta
With the passing seasons, now
There is one certain thing inside of my chest

Doumeki was fidgeting. That couldn’t be right. But it was. He was fidgeting. And pointedly looking anywhere but at Watanuki. And…

Okay, he must have had too much sun. That had to be a sunburn. There was no way that Doumeki was blushing.

Anata o mamoru tame nara
Nani hitotsu oshiku wa nai
Donna itami de mo boku ga kawaru kara
Zutto soba ni iru yo
If it’s to protect you
Then I won’t regret a thing
Because I’ll take any pain in your stead
I’ll always be by your side

Quickly, the archer stood, excusing himself and entering the shop. “Sorry. Bathroom,” is all he said. But Watanuki stared after him as he went.

Still, the music played on.

Kimi no kimochi ni kizukezu ni ita to
Shitta toki wa
Boku no chikara de dekiru koto subete
Todoketai kara
Because when I learn that
I didn’t realize your feelings
I want to send you
Everything that I can do in my power

Itsu date kimi to hohaba awase
Kore kara mo kawaranai omoi ga aru kara
I match my pace with you all the time
Because I have still an unchanging thought now

Dakishimeta sono nukumori ga
Itsu made mo kienai you ni
Koboreta namida wa boku ga nuguu kara
Zutto soba ni iru yo
So that the warmth of when we embraced
Won’t ever disappear
I’ll wipe away your spilling tears
I’ll always be by your side

Anata o mamoru tame nara
Nani hitotsu oshiku wa nai
Donna itami de mo boku ga kawaru kara
Zutto soba de hohoendete
If it’s to protect you
Then I won’t regret a thing
Because I’ll take any pain in your stead
Always smiling by your side

Dakishimeta sono nukumori ga
Itsu made mo kienai you ni
Koboreta namida wa boku ga nuguu kara
Zutto soba ni iru yo
So that the warmth of when we embraced
Won’t ever disappear
I’ll wipe away your spilling tears
I’ll always be by your side

As the song ended, Mokona opened his eyes. “I guess it’s hard to hear your own thoughts put to song,” he mentioned, before bounding back into the yard to play, leaving Watanuki staring at the empty space where Doumeki had been sitting.

‘Always by your side,’ he thought. And smiled, closing his eyes again.

AN: Song is Itsumo soba ni. It’s the song attributed to Takashi in OHC, but I honestly think it’s more appropriate for Doumeki.