Yami No Matsuei Fan Fiction / Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Living Shinigami ❯ Meeting the Family ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

“Living Shinigami”

Chapter

Meeting the Family

“Maybe you should have broken it to him a bit more gently, Shini-chan,” Tsuzuki said, hiding a smile. “Is he usually so delicate?”

“Wufei is anything but delicate, Tou-san. He’s just suffering from ‘Maxwell overload.’ True, it usually just sends him on justice rants, but what can I say? Knowing Wuffers, he’ll be again and spazzing about Kijin-san. Where’d he run off to, anyway?”

“Back home, most likely,” Hisoka said, watching as Watari struggled not to laugh at the twisted position Wufei had put himself into upon fainting. He turned back to his son and frowned as he was forced to look up in order to meet violet eyes. “You’re older than me.”

Both Tsuzuki and Duo started to crack up, slinging an arm each around the ‘younger’ man’s shoulders. “Kaa-chan, you knew this was going to happen. Watari-kun said that I wouldn’t stop aging until I was twenty-five, and that’s another four years.”

The empath sighed. “We’re glad to have you back, Duo, but do you really have to call me Kaa-chan?”

Duo was laughing when Wufei woke again, and he listened carefully before moving. It wasn’t his ‘pranking on Wuffers’ laugh, nor the maniacal cackle he got before detonating something. Judging the sound to mean that they were safe, Wufei opened his eyes and sat up slowly.

Almost immediately, he wished he’d stayed unconscious, where he could still pretend that the day’s events had been a dream.

The Quatre look-alike, Kurosaki, was red-faced as he tried to shut up Duo’s doppelganger, Tsuzuki, who was telling said braided boy a story that was apparently quite embarrassing. From what Wufei could make out through Kurosaki’s protests and Duo’s laughter, it involved a glass of sake, a gun, and… dumplings?

“…Just keeled over, absolutely drunk,” Tsuzuki said, illustrating the story with his arms. A saucy wink was delivered to the blond teenager. “First time I had him in my bed.”

“I was asleep and you ended up sleeping on the sofa,” Hisoka said, glaring behind his flush. “Which you’ll do again tonight if you don’t stop telling him those stories. Besides, I was only seventeen then, and it was the first time I’d had sake.”

Duo started to laugh even harder, clutching his stomach as he glanced around. Catching sight of Wufei, his face brightened. “Fei-chan! Welcome back! Have a good nap?”

“Maxwell, where are we?” Wufei asked, pushing back the blanket and swinging his legs over the side of the bed. “And who are they?”

“You might not remember since you fainted, but I already said who they were, my parents,” Duo said, blowing hair from his face.

“Your parents are dead,” the Chinese man protested. “Even if they weren’t, these two are too young to have a twenty-one year old son, even ignoring the fact that they’re both male. Kurosaki-san can’t be older than seventeen.”

“You’re right about just one thing,” Tsuzuki said, smiling. It was an eerie expression. “We are dead.”

“Welcome to Meifu, Wufei,” Duo said with a wide grin. “World of the Dead and home, sweet home.”

Wufei was silent, too shocked to speak. Then something clicked in his head. “We’re dead? There must have been a third assassin who shot us both.”

Duo shook his head. “No Wufei, we’re still alive, the only two in this world. Believe me, you’ll know it when we’re dead. Anyway, like I said before, these are my parents. Tou-san, Kaa-chan, this is Chang Wufei. We fought together during the war and both work for the Preventors now.”

“And between the two of you and your friends, you’ve been keeping us very busy,” Tsuzuki said, stepping forward and extending a hand to Wufei to shake, which he did. “What my son forgot to mention is that we work for the Judgment Bureau here in Meifu, in the Summons Department.”

“The Summons Department?” Wufei asked, curious.

It was Kurosaki who spoke up. “We go after souls who have missed their court dates. We’re Shinigami.”

Startled, Wufei spun his head around to stare at Duo who smiled, nodding. “Yep, I’ve already got a position waiting for me as soon as I stop aging. Me and whichever sucker gets partnered up with me will be in charge of L1 since it’s in Japan’s jurisdiction but has been grouped with sector four for ages. Watari’s been trying to get rid of it since it was practically built. Sector four’s his territory.”

“Duo-kun will be the first living Shinigami,” Tsuzuki said with pride, throwing an arm across the braided man’s shoulders. “The rest of us had to die first.”

“He’ll also be the last,” Kurosaki added. “The king wasn’t exactly pleased when he heard that Watari had created life and forbid him to create any more children.”

“You see, Fei, the kitten’s not the only test-tube baby among us,” Duo said. “Only difference is that both parents here were dead already and I don’t have twenty-nine other siblings.”

Pressing the heel of his hand against his forehead, Wufei began laughing. “I should have known better than to even suggest that there could be another person like you. I’ve doomed the world.”

“Actually, you can blame Konoe-san for that,” the pony tailed man said as he walked in through the open door. “He partnered these two up in the first place. If they’d never been paired up, Duo would never have been born and the world wouldn’t be doomed.”

“What a horrible thing to say about your own godson,” Tsuzuki said with an amazing impression of a puppy. Beside him, Kurosaki sighed. “After all, you even had a hand in his creation.”

“A fact which my lab lamented for the next couple of years,” Watari pointed out. “Your son’s a born hell raiser.”

“I do try,” Duo said, grinning and he leaned back to rest his head against his folded arms. “And anyway, I only blew it up five times more than you did.”

“And you were how old?” Wufei asked, disbelieving.

“Let’s see, he was just teething the first time, so it much have been when he was, oh, a year old. Bit something he didn’t like and knocked over a chair that I’d hung my coat on, which in turn knocked over several beakers of highly explosive chemicals,” the scientist recalled, wincing as he remembered finding out what Tsuzuki was like when he was agree.

“It was the first time we realized that Duo wasn’t simply a mortal child like we’d expected him to be, though we really should have known better,” Tsuzuki added, producing a box of cookies from somewhere and handing one to Duo. The pair started to happily munch on them.

Kurosaki sighed, running a tired hand through his bangs. “It’s like watching a puppy in front of a mirror.”

“Don’t be so mean, Hisoka,” the older man whined, clinging to the other’s shoulder.

A thought struck Wufei as his friend sat up and shoved the blanket away from him. “Duo, where’s your wound? I saw you get shot; I saw you bleeding!”

“Wufei, relax!” Duo ordered, jumping from the bed to grip the Chinese pilot’s shoulders. “I just heal really fast. It’s because of the way I was born. My abilities as those of the walking dead, and healing quickly is one of them.”

“Are you human?” Wufei asked, meeting Duo’s eyes.

“We’re not sure, Wufei, we’re not sure.”