Yami No Matsuei Fan Fiction ❯ Mistletoe Conspiracy Plot ❯ part 10 ( Chapter 10 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Mistletoe Conspiracy Plot

By Mikarin continuation... from part 9

A/N: This is in response to one of my readers who was kind enough to send a review.

Thank you so much for keeping up.

For those of you wondering why are you reading a Christmas story in summer-time, haven't you ever heard of Christmas in July? Anyhow, I'm writing this story for next year and since I couldn't finish in time last year--and then it grew into a monster--so my plan is to finish in time for next year.

Cross your fingers and hope I finish.

I have six other stories on the works. Aparently one-shots are not within my grasp. My stories tend to mutate when I get distracted. If I were a blonde I would look exactly like Watari (except my gender-changing formula 'does' work like a charm), even my glasses are oval-shaped and I like Tatsumi too. Someday I'll stop writing about my favorite experiment--uhm... I mean, couple... and gun for my favorite tall, burnette and handsome.




(Previously...)



Ah! He felt like a new man. For a stretch of five whole minutes until Tatsumi started back through whence they came. Terazuma had much respect for the man but he really needed to learn to relax five minutes a day instead of per year.

(Let's continue...)



"Tsuu-zuu-kii!" A deep cavernous growl came from behind.
Tsuzuki stopped in mid-run, tailcoat catching up with him as he came to an abrupt stop and turned his head to look behind, sweatdropping at the sight that lay-'gulp'-on the floor-'hehe'-nostrils flaring.

Sheepish little grin on his face, Tsuzuki put his foot down and walked, slowly retracing his steps toward the prone mass still on the floor.

"Chief," scratching the back of his head.

He maintained a reasonable distance for fleeing, if it became necessary, as it dawn on Tsuzuki now it may be possible that this might be his doing-Konoe on the floor looking not too pleasantly at Tsuzuki.

To alleviate some of the anger, Tsuzuki sprouted his signature ears and wagging tail, bringing his fists upon his mouth to muffle a little laugh at just how funny the Chief looked-like a miffed bull on an ice skating ring. His eyes grew watery when forcing himself not to laugh out loud, yet managing to look as cutely innocent, while shoving his fists tighter against his mouth. Little muffled and distorted squeaks escaping here and there.

"Stop looking at me like the idiot you know you are and help me up." Konoe mumbled something that came along the lines of 'knees shot to Hell in this weather.'

In other words... Konoe's aches and pains of old age are feeling the weather as Meifu mimics the living world with its winter.

As this revelation came to Tsuzuki while trying to give the Chief a hand, he almost choke forcing down the immediate burst of a laugh that he lost his hold on the arm of the old man that bounced back down.

Tsuzuki snorted and pressure from the forced down laugh came out through his nose-'ew!'

Konoe grumbled something under his breath in clenched teeth along the lines of 'lousy, good for nothing'-mumble, mumble-'strongest'-mumble more-'numbskull'-mumble, growl-'old man'-whine-'hour of need.'

Just as the growling had turn into a whine, Tsuzuki had managed to fully restore Konoe to his former standing position.

As he eased the creases on his posterior, Konoe turned a suspicious look to Tsuzuki. The crazy man only ran for three reasons: after his partner, away from work (a.k.a. Tatsumi, whose ears have begun to tingle at sensing his name) and after sweets... Konoe suspected the latter of all three since he was so one-track minded that Tsuzuki didn't even notice him on his path. As his superior, Konoe wanted his cut of the bounty-for looking for them on company time.

"Just why are you in such a hurry? Huh, Tsuzuki? Something important I should know? Or are you hiding from someone?"

Eyes as big as saucers, Tsuzuki shook his head left and right, puppy ears and tail puffing off...

"Noo." He said showing his complete ignorance of the Chief's strong accusations and implied suspicions.

"Then, explain why are you running through the halls like a crazed maniac not caring if you run people over?"

"Eh, well..." Tsuzuki wasn't sure just what to say. It has been an hour since he began to panic. Exactly five minutes after he came into his office room to find it empty, Tsuzuki wanted to cry. "Soka... he's... I can't find him."

"Ah." Konoe finally understood.

Bigger than missing sweets were Hisoka's disappearance acts. "Well, he can't be far." Konoe strengthened up. "Kurosaki is a diligent worker. He's probably doing something constructive...'like working'." He emphasized to Tsuzuki. Hm, come to think of he too was looking for a missing someone. Konoe changed his tone. "Say, Tsuzuki, have you seen Tatsumi anywhere?"

Konoe had been looking for Tatsumi for the past couple of hours and no one could tell him just where his secretary had run off. His office was deserted except for the Christmas lights blinking around. None of the workers on the entire floor had seen him. Not even the accounting department from two floors below. He'd asked the Count if Tatsumi had maybe paid him a visit-nothing.

Watari even sent 003 in his search, just in case the little owl could spot him through a window, or the sakura groves-although it was cold outside.

Tsuzuki was just shaking his head until his mouth fell open with what the Chief had just asked. Realization came and he wanted to scream, which he did.

"Noo! Tatsumi!"

Tsuzuki was in serious distress.

"Soka-chan is missing and Tatsumi too?!"

Konoe nodded slightly and then frowned, two of his most efficient people where missing. "What are you getting at you idiot?"

Tsuzuki pouted. "Earlier today Tatsumi took Hisoka from me." It had been a dirty trick to force him to work, but still, what if...

Konoe relaxed. Tatsumi must be working on something that required some help from the ONLY dependable worker they had, yet unmarred by the laziness of his partner. But by the look on Tsuzuki he frowned again, seeing the grown man about to burst out crying.

Surprisingly, Tsuzuki refrained from opening up a dam and instead...

"Tatsumi can't do this to me." The grown man whined. "He's mine."

With that last statement he adopted a serious look only reserved for when they were in battle-ready missions.

Konoe blinked noticing the sudden change.

"Tsuzuki, just what are you getting at?" He repeated himself with more feeling.

"Tatsumi is trying to steal my partner." Tsuzuki sniffled, a tear was beginning to peak. "Although I can see what's to like. Soka's really smart and pretty, so brave and strong. He can cook too." Tsuzuki could only smack his gums in delight. "He makes my favorite every month-of course; he uses it as leverage to make me work on my end-of-the-month reports, but still." Tsuzuki dropped his shoulders. "Come to think of it, he's kind of like Tatsumi in some ways. I can see how Hisoka might like Tatsumi more...."

Suddenly, Tsuzuki let go of the tear that had been hanging by the corner of his eye. The sniffle turned into something louder, and then, more tears followed.

The dam had broken. Konoe, opposite to popular belief, did know everything that happened in his office. How could he not when they were so vocal!

Tsuzuki retreated running away from him, in Watari's direction.

After the storm dissipated Konoe was about to continue his search for his missing secretary when he turn to only face a mask and two, gathered-together, white gloves.

Konoe swallowed his heart and stood back a step.

"Ah, what brings you here Count?"

The Count didn't answer right away. His gloved fingers were tapping each other as if on thought (or mischievous planning). Konoe was about to repeat his question when...

"Tsuzuki seems upset."

The Count sounded heart-felt for Tsuzuki's condition.

"Maybe I can kiss his boo-boos and make him feel better."

There it is, Konoe twitched his eyebrow in annoyance. The Count just couldn't be any different or think of anything else.

"Is there anything we can do for you?"

"Oh, I was about to ask the same question," answered the Count, drumming his fingers, still. "You sounded so concerned for your missing Tatsumi, I thought I might be able to see what's going on... but by Tsuzuki's cries it sounds like it could be serious. Two shinigamis is something of a concern."

Konoe's patience was surely beginning to wan.

"Yes, well, I'm sure they are somewhere in the building working hard. After all, it's the holiday season and much work needs to be completed before the end of the year."

"I'm sure you're right. In the meant time I'll go console poor Tsuzuki. And see about his Christmas gift." The Count laughed moving away.

Konoe sweatdropped.

Just what he needed, perhaps, it would be best to simply retreat himself into his office for the rest of the day. Wherever Tatsumi may be, he had no doubts, the man was working hard.

In the distance he could hear the Count's shrilling voice calling for Tsuzuki.

Konoe slammed his office door and drowned the screaming that was soon to follow. Tsuzuki could handle himself around the Count. He's done it for years.


TBC... part 11 next