Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ Do You Dream of Me? ❯ Heart ( Chapter 10 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

Disclaimer: If I owned Yu-gi-oh, Kisara would have gotten to kick Kaiba's ass in the penalty game for putting her in that position.

VAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAV AVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVA

Yugi sighed. Yami had been so apologetic. Ashamed. That was what broke his heart. Yami had been so ashamed that the only offering he could lay at his Master's feet was a pair of shoes. He'd been so convinced of his unworthiness. Yugi had put on the sneakers immediately, and tried to send his gratitude and pride to Yami as hard as he could, but Yami had sensed Yugi's sadness and had thought it was at the pitiful offering, not at Yami's unhappiness.

And not really being able to talk to Yami meant Yugi couldn't explain. All he could do had been to return home as quickly as possible and get into his soulroom so his actions could reinforce his clouded emotions.

It almost broke his heart. Yami had cowered. He'd been so scared, scared Yugi would break the puzzle and condemn him to torment again for being unworthy of Yugi's light. Of existing in the presence of a god.

He'd gathered Yami in his arms and held him as he shivered and cried. This was almost as bad as the nightmare. Worse, for Yami's fear hadn't been of Yugi then. It had been sweet, how horrified Yami had been by his death. Perhaps… more horrified at losing Yugi than at being trapped again?

He could feel Yami's torment, and it made him feel worse, which made Yami feel worse, that his presence was causing his Master such unhappiness. Yami had tried to get up and leave Yugi's mind, going back to the puzzle even though he was terrified of it, so that his Master would be spared the presence he disliked. Yugi had held him tight, and tried to pull him deeper into his mind, focusing on his happiness at the gift and Yami's presence.

They were really good sneakers. He was going to get envious stares at school.

Eventually he'd rocked Yami into a deeper sleep, and done his homework, ate dinner, and gone to bed. And went into his soulroom, as he did every night. But this time, Yami didn't snuggle close. He found him huddled into a ball in a corner of the room. Shivering again. He'd tried to pull him into bed, but Yami was too big.

He'd had to send his displeasure, which caused Yami to be more ashamed, and made him hurry to fulfill his Master's wishes by cooperating enough that Yugi could get him to the bed.

Once there, Yugi had arranged him like a doll into his usual curled-around-Yugi position. He'd stroked his hair and sent his love, speaking words Yami couldn't grasp, random, sad words that he forgot as soon as he spoke them, desperate words hoping against hope to end the misery in Yami's heart.

And eventually, Yami had pulled Yugi tight and wept until he ran out of tears. Wept for his torment in darkness. Wept for the puzzle's draining of his power, that he could not do such a simple thing as fulfilling his Master's wish to speak to him. Wept for his unworthiness to exist in the presence of such a bright, warm being, when he was simply a nameless thing that had screamed in the dark. Wept for the sadness that filled his Master, sadness that he was causing, but he could not understand why.

-It's because you're sad. I can't stand that you're sad, Yami. That you think you're a thing, when you're a person. I want to be your friend. I want you to be happy. You've done so much for me, but I can't even make you happy in return.- Yugi sighed.

? Master makes Yami Very happy. Light. Warmth. With. Softness. Life. With. Touch. With.

Yugi continued to stroke Yami's hair. -Try and be happy. Then I won't be sad anymore. Deal?-

Anything for Master.

And Yami slowly returned to his normal state of bliss. Held in his wonderful Master's arms. Existing in a place without darkness, cold or pain. Living in heaven, blessed by a god. No matter how unworthy he was.

And Yugi smiled a sad smile, and held him until they fell asleep.

VAVAVAVAVAV

Yugi bounced into the Game Shop with Jou and Anzu. "Grandpa! I'm home!" He smiled. Yami had seemed to have forgotten all about his misery when he woke up. He was currently as blessed out as ever, his simple joy infecting Yugi. It was so great he was back to normal!

"What are those cards, Gramps?" Jou asked.

"Ho ho… this is the card game that's such a hit in America: Magic and Wizards!"

"It's got a small following in Japan too!" Yugi pointed out, grabbing some cards to look at as Jou and Anzu had. The statement made Jou giggle for some reason. Yami seemed to sense his excitement, and sent a question, so Yugi sent him his explanation as he spoke it aloud to Jou and Anzu. "They're different from normal playing cards. See… they have all sorts of pictures on them. There are thousands of different monster and magic cards!"

Anzu leafed through the cards she had taken. "Wow. This is really nice art! Some of it's kind of gross though…"

Jou cocked his head. "Huh! So how do you play with these? Is it like gambling?"

"It's a trading card game… you know, a game where you trade cards! You play with two people. You each stake one card, and the one who wins takes both. The game is set up so the players are both wizards. They use their cards to cast spells or summon monsters to fight! The cards have different attack and defense strengths. The person who loses all of their life points first loses the game."

Yami was really excited for some reason.

Sugoroku continued. "Of course, there are strong cards and weak cards! But with so many cards you could never collect them all! I've heard of a fan in America who sold his house just to buy one card! This old man is fan enough to have one amazing card!"

Yugi nodded. "Uh-huh!"

Jou looked questioning.

"Ho ho… I suppose I'll let you see it… This card is my treasure!" Sugoroku said conspiratorially.

"This is it!!"

Through Yugi's eyes, Yami saw the card and freaked.

! !!!!!!!

Sugoroku continued. "This is called the Blue-Eyes White Dragon… It's so overpowered that they stopped production. Collectors would pay thought the nose to get their hands on an ultra-rare card like this!"

Anzu leaned in to look at it. "Wow. Put it that way, and it really serious."

"Awright, Yugi! Let's play Magic and Wizards at school tomorrow!"

`Great! I've finally got someone to play with besides Grandpa!' "Yup!"

Jou and Anzu were buying cards when the door opened. Sugoroku beckoned him in. It was Kaiba from class. He asked if they played Magic and Wizards, and Yugi invited him to join their group.

Kaiba blinked. "Huh? Join your group?! Give me a break! You think you're in my league! Let me see your cards…" He looked at Jou's cards and then tossed them in the air. "Ha Haa! Useless! What a beginner! You could never match me!"

Jou was ticked off and muttering under his breath. Kaiba continued. "I'm good enough to compete at the National competition! You could never win against my deck. It'd be pointless to play against you. Come back after you've collected at least 10,000 cards. Heh heh…"

"It's okay, I'll play with you, Jou!" Yugi said to head off a fight. -I used to think Kaiba was cool, but he's really just a jerk, huh Yami?-

….? Kaiba? ? Hmmmm…

-What?-

-I guess you can't explain things yet, huh? Don't worry, it's not your fault.- :Hug:

… familiar. Cards, and …Kaiba.

-Huh? Are you sure you didn't just see them in my memories?-

… maybe?

Yugi shook himself awake. Kaiba was staring at the Blue-Eyes card that had been left on the counter. Sugoroku let him take a look at it. Then he snatched it back, saying, "Okay, that's enough!"

Kaiba plunked his briefcase on the counter and opened it. It was full of cards. "Old man! If you give me that blue-eyes white dragon… I'll trade you all of these cards!"

Yugi, Jou and Anzu were shocked.

"Ho ho…. I'm sorry, but no." Sugoroku said, holding the card tight.

Yugi, Jou and Anzu were more shocked.

Kaiba grimaced. He wouldn't trade that card either.

Sugoroku explained that the card had been given to him by a friend. "This card is as important to me as my friend! I could never give it up! It's the same with the common cards… If you really treasure something, it grows a heart of its own. Just like this card! You would never trade anything for that heart! So take good care of each and every card in this trunk, Kaiba! Then you'll find the true strength of this game.

Yugi could feel Yami vigorously nodding. Why did this seem to touch him so much?

Kaiba slammed the case closed and left, vowing to get the card later.

Jou praised Sugoroku's speech. Yugi said Grandpa always won.

Yami was like, wow. Yugi was puzzled. Why was winning a card game so impressive to the spirit? `Well, he does like to play games with people…'

VAVAVAVAVAV

That night, he looked through his cards, showing them to Yami. Yami could have just looked in Yugi's memories, but Yugi wanted to show him himself. He liked doing things with Yami.

-Why are you so interested in this?-

Yugi saw some of Yami's… not really memories. More like a how-to book. Information without knowledge. Details of creatures from another realm, how to summon them to this reality, which ones would be willing to fight for him, how to compel unwilling ones: spells to back the monsters up…

-Wow! It's like the game, but for real! Hey, I know that monster! It's the Dark Magician! My Grandpa has that card!- Yugi leafed through his deck excitedly. -Can you summon this one? Please? It's so cute, and it can't be dangerous, it's so small!-

Yugi felt Yami look through him at the card. It matched up with a description. There was a lot of information in the description. The monster would not be any danger to Master. And Yami wanted to see it too.

Yami reached out to another place, and a ball of shadows appeared next to Yugi on his bed. With a pop, the monster appeared.

It blinked. "Kahree?" It wiggled over to Yugi and sniffed him. "Kahree! Kahree! Kahree!"

"Kawaii!" Yugi glomped it. It was the Kuriboh! For real! This was so cool! Wait until he told Jou and Anzu and Honda too! -Thanks, Yami!-

Happy to please Master. Interesting…

Yami was looking through Yugi's eyes still. This was… he nudged Yugi's mind and Yugi moved over, wondering what Yami was going to do.

Yami took over, but without waking up. His body laid down on the bed, but his hand moved to stroke the Monster. It was soft, and warm, and… familiar. It reminded him of a memory long lost. He had once known this… it was a link to his past. To when he was a person. He wondered… if he recovered his memories, would he be a person again? Would he be worthy of Master?

Master was perfect. Even if he had once been someone, being that person again would not make him worthy of Master. And… he shuddered. The puzzle had taken away his memories once. If he got them back, it would just do so again. He didn't think he could bear it a second time.

And what if… what if it took away his memories of Master as well? The thought was too horrible to contemplate.

He realized that waking up enough to think these thoughts was sending Master to sleep, and with an apology he returned to Master's soulroom and curled up in the bed.

He sleepily heard Master's request to send the Kuriboh back, and he smiled. That meant Master wanted to go to sleep now.

And sure enough, Master came to him.

He cuddled around Master. Thanks to Master, everything was perfect. Soon, he would even be able to talk to Master! And maybe Master would give him things to do, so that he could do them and Master could be happy with him?

He smiled, and Master stroked his hair. Perfection.

VAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAV AVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAV

Hikari Hiei (): How did you guess?

Tara.B Amy: You're on my favorite's list! I love you! Update Child of Darkness, please? And you've got it exactly, what I'm trying to do!

Delphine Pryde: Thanks.

Faith-Kitty and Jollie-Rancher: He's trying!

Flamekaat: I will.

Jagwarakit (): I can't wait either.

Aislynn Goldleaf: He hopes too.

Strega: You've got it exactly! Exactly! Love you! Reviews like this tell me I'm doing it right!

SoulDreamer: Here you go.

Flowacat: Yes, it is, isn't it.

SilverWing147: Yes, they are.

Cherazz22784: The pharaoh rules.

Amber Eyes: Most of the time, Yami isn't actually thinking. I hope you like this chappie though.

Michew: Whoa, compliment overload.

Koishii No Tenshi: He will, don't worry!

Elvlen-princess9744: Thanks.

DemonandGoddess: Yes…

Animestargirl: I don't think he lets himself believe it. Too good to be true.

Anime Crazed: Yes, shadow games rock.

Shining Charizard: Thank you! I work on the emotion talking. It's hard to have it change, but not too fast.

Osiris-Lee: Here you go!

Silvershadowfire: More sadness here… I'm going to be glad when that's over.

Chibi Pharaoh Yami: Well, now you know!

Flowers: Thanks, and here is update!

Yami Youkai: Um… that is developing… just keep reading.

Pharaoh Atemu's Angel: Thanks again!