Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ Do You Dream of Me? ❯ Defense ( Chapter 15 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

Disclaimer: If I owned Yu-gi-oh, Yami would have penalty gamed Shadi.

I am following the manga, not the anime, so this is not exactly the same as the post-DK Shadi appearance. Sorry.

VAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVA VAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAV

"Heh heh. Come in if you dare. Come into my soul. This is where we'll play our game!" Yami smirked. Projecting confidence was important. He had to protect Master.

The intruder (and how had he managed to hide his presence from Yami's spells? Neither of his Items had that power, and the man certainly did not. Unless… the Items had chosen to hide him…) was frozen with shock.

Ah. An advantage. "What's wrong? Are you afraid? Show some courage!"

The man took his first step into the room, and tried to hide his shock at its form. Cold golden stone with paintings, like the tomb-wall designs that Master had seen in the Exhibit. Did he know something?

"You had better explain why you're here."

The stranger stared at him, projecting an unimpressed front. Haughty, this one was.

"Heh heh… from you perspective, I am an unwanted guest… Answering that question is the least I can do."

There was a pause. Yami gave him a `Well? What are you waiting for?' look.

"I came to discover the secret of the power of the Millennium Puzzle."

"So you came here with a Millennium Item?" Yami was sad. The intruder was a pawn of the Items as well.

"The power of the Millennium Key!" The man boasted. "This key opens the door to one's soul… In the soulroom, one discovers everything about a person… who they are, what they are, what they love, what they fear… even what they themselves do not know. And one more: the Millennium Scales. They weigh the sins of a person on trial! These are the two I possess."

`Two. Poor bastard.' Yami thought.

"But even I don't know the power of the Millennium Puzzle. I don't know what power is bestowed upon the person who completes it…because it has never been solved."

`The Millennium Items have much more power than they have given you. But they keep it for themselves.' Yami sighed. "And so to find out, you entered my soul?" `Or actually, the puzzle, but you don't need to know that.'

"If I can see a person's soulroom, I can see what kind of power they possess. That is what I came to discover. And if that power is needed, I will drew it into my bloodline."

Yami gave him an odd look. `You actually WANT another Millennium Item? You really have no clue what they are.' He smirked. `This'll be easy.'

"This power you speak of does rest in my room," `The power the Items condescend to give me,' "However… I can't let you see it that easily! You know the routine. This is a game! A shadow game!"

He smirked and explained. "The rules of the game are simple. Somewhere in here is my true room. If you can find it, then you'll find what you seek."

The man smirked, like he had already won. "Heh heh… I forgot to tell you about one other power that I have. When I enter the room of someone `s soul, I can `redecorate' and control that person at will. I can even destroy their personality. Heh heh."

`It won' t come to that. But if you tried to turn me against my Master, I would kill you slowly.'

The man clenched his fists and shouted, annoyed by Yami's nonchalance, "I accept your game! And I will find the true room of your soul!"

Yami laughed. "Well… don't think it's that easy. This game is more dangerous than you know!" He snapped his fingers.

The man's eyes widened at the site that was now illuminated. Sweat drops appeared on his face as he saw the Escheresque labyrinth he would have to traverse.

"Game Start." Yami said, smiling.

The man stood there, frozen.

"Well? What's wrong? The game won't start until you take the first step."

Slowly the Egyptian moved and opened a heavy steel door. The shock as the huge plug slammed down threw him across the floor.

Yami chuckled. "What's wrong/ Do you give up? At this rate you might get yourself in trouble." `The Millennium Items do not take kindly to those only after their power… how do I know all this? I'll think about it later. Once I can stay awake.'

"Good luck… I'll be waiting in the room." `Just a room, not my soulroom, but you don't need to know that.' Yami thought as he disappeared through a wall.

He could sense the man following him through the halls, pausing at doors and rejecting them. `If he's sensing me, he's not sensing my soulroom.' He chose a good room, materialized a chair, and waited.

Soon enough the man entered. Yami greeted him with a smile and a "Heh."

The man stepped inside the room, obviously wondering if it was the true one.

And the floor fell out from under him!

He managed to grab one of the blocks on the edge of the hole, but the darkness beneath him was scaring him out of his wits!

Yami walked over. The man looked up at him, afraid.

Yami couldn't help himself. "Shall I push you in?" He chuckled.

Then he held out his hand. The man was shocked.

"It's all right. My hand isn't a trap."

The man reached up with his free hand and grabbed Yami's, an expression of wonder on his face. `Has he never known kindness?'

After the man had been pulled up, as he crouched on the ground, he said, "I had never imagined that you would save me… if indeed it is the same you."

"It is. I would never allow my Master near such a threat."

The man frowned, curious. "I am in your debt."

Yami sighed. "I don't like you habit of peeking into people's souls. You had better leave right now, and without any detours."

The man stood up. "So I lost this game."

There was silence as they weighed each other. Finally, Yami spoke.

"No. This is just the beginning." `You aren't going to leave us alone… but you didn't try to cheat, so I have no justification. Something… is off, about you, but… I wouldn't want to harm someone who is used by the Items as I am.'

"Yes, you're right." The man said, walking to the door. "Farewell."

And the man returned to reality.

Yami removed the spells from his Master's room, storing their energy. He would not attack again right now. But he kept his Master asleep, not wanting the man to sense him.

In reality, the man was on his knees, breathing hard. "Are you alright?"

"Yes… I'm alright…"

"Could I have the puzzle back, please?" Yami could sense he had it, now. He would have let him keep it, if that would not have separated him from Master. He didn't want Master anywhere near the Items. Was he selfish to wish to stay? Was he placing his Master in danger?

"Of course." He handed it over.

"Thank you." Yami said, placing it around his neck.

"You don't need to thank me. I am already in you debt."

"If you wish it so. Goodbye, I must let my Master return to control. And I am sorry, but I don't trust you around him."

The man smiled. "Fair is fair." He turned and left. As he walked away, he said, "My name is Shadi. This is the first time I've ever told it to anyone." He continued, "There is one more person I must place on trial, one more man who has defiled the territory of the gods, the valley of the kings…"

`He's warning me. He'll come after that task is done. I'll be ready.' Yami teleported to an alleyway near Yugi's home, not wanting to delay waking up his Master anymore, but not wanting him near this Shadi. He then awoke him.

VAVAVAVAVAV

Yugi yawned in his soulroom. Yami was sprawled atop him again. But it wasn't morning…

Yugi remembered what had happened before Yami had taken over. But he didn't know anything after because Yami had not been linked with him.

Yami was nudging him now. Kawaii. Yugi looked up.

Yami's eyes were open!

Yugi had never seen Yami's eyes before. He'd wanted to, but prying open an eyelid had seemed rude, even though Yami probably wouldn't mind.

They were… beautiful. Ruby, no, rose red. Soft and caring. But the color would be scary if he didn't know Yami was safe and good and kind and caring.

--Can I check that you're alright?-

Yami was… -You're talking!-

--Yes, my Master. But I'm sorry, I can't for long. He will come back, and I don't want to be unable to defend you.-Yami bowed his head, ashamed of his weakness that left him unable to do his duty to Master, by both defending him and fulfilling his wishes.

-… Damn the Puzzle. Mmmph! Yami, why did you…-

Yami had clamped his hands over Yugi's mouth. -Please, don't anger them Master! I can't stop them if they decide to hurt you!-

-The Items?-

--Yes. This man had two Items. If they allow him to use them… but they didn't help him today, any more than the minimum they lend people so they think they are in control.-

-The Items use people?-

--Yes. It's not safe for you to keep the Puzzle. I'm sorry. But getting rid of it wouldn't work, if it wants you, and it must, for no one else has ever completed it. And breaking it wouldn't help. I'm sorry.-Yami bowed his head.

-It's okay. I get you, and you'/re a great friend.-

Yami looked puzzled, but he shrugged, and ignored it for now. -May I check you over?-

-Yes.-

Yugi felt tendrils of shadow fill him. He moaned. It felt… just amazing.

Yami exhaled, relieved. -They didn't do anything. Yet. Please check my memories of what happened, Master. You need to know so you can guard yourself. May I return to sleep now?-

--But before that.. I just want to say… I respect you, Master, you are a great soul, and I owe you everything. You have my service forever, if you would accept it and me.-Yami bowed deeply, and stayed bowed.-

-Yami…I'd love to talk more, there are things I want to tell you, but yes. Thank you for helping me.-

Yami paused in lying down. -For what? I couldn't stop him from coming into our mind.-

-But you protected me. Thank you for this and every other time.-

Yami looked puzzled. -But... It's what I owe you. You don't have to thank me, Master. I'm just repaying you.-

-… Just?-

But Yami was asleep.

Yugi went home, ate dinner with Ji-chan and went up to his room to look at the memory.

He stroked Yami's hair while he watched it. Yami was so worried. Instead of the usual feeling of pleasure and relaxation that poured into him from Yami, Yugi instead felt worry, and it was worrying him as well. Turning people into puppets? What if… Yami would never let that happen, but…

He shook himself. This Shadi person was just interested in him and the Puzzle. He had no reason to go after any of his friends. But… for some reason… he knew that Shadi would have no problem using them if he wanted to. Yami's spells couldn't stop a Millennium Item, and Shadi didn't seem to really care about people's rights, just trying to get into Yami's mind like that. And threatening to…

Yugi shuddered. He didn't know what he'd do if Yami changed. Or worse, went away.

`If Shadi took the Puzzle… Yami says it's dangerous, but I don't care as long as I can stay with Yami!'

Yugi sent caring to Yami. A hug. And Yami's happiness returned.

Yugi sighed as he worked on the homework due Monday. `I'd better tell the others about this. Why do I have a feeling that they are in danger? I hope…I hope everything turns out okay. And that I get to really talk to Yami soon. Today was great, but… he sees me as the Master, not a friend. It seemed so important to him, to be that. To be accepted by me as a worthy servant. He's so strong, but so fragile. I don't want to hurt him, but I have to make him see we're friends!'

That night, Yugi went to sleep with Yami wrapped around him. And dreamed uneasy dreams.

VAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVA VAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAV

Yes, I know the conversation was anti-climactic. There's practically a war on, they're not going to be debating, but they will be as soon as Shadi is dealt with. And during. And Yugi hasn't really had time to examine the conversation, and he's not going to be able to read between the lines that well. And Yami is focused on Shadi, and since Yami is in Yugi's mind that affects Yugi.

I am very close to 300 reviews! So, could you please review?

Oh, and I changed the pic on my bio. The new one looks like it could have been drawn for this story too.

Shitsumon: This story is Yami/Yugi centric. I'm only doing other characters when they figure in the action. Ji-chan will find out soon, and we will have his thoughts then. And this is not meant to be a substitute for the manga. And I'm not going to try to do visual substitution. I'm just trying to get through the manga stuff so I can get back to the Y&Y interaction that takes place because of it, so no long descriptions. And I haven't decided what to do with his parents yet. Both mostly gone on business trips sounds good.

Strega: Comparatively stern. Really just sort of panicked. Remember, Yami is usually a kitty-cat to Yugi, so acting with any force towards him is strange. And the power didn't get used, so 99 percent recoverable.

Shadi explanation soon.

This sort of showed Yami's attitude, but not the underlying issues. Them coming out is going to be FUN.

No, the Kuriboh was real. Why would you think it wasn't?