Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ Do You Dream of Me? ❯ Palace ( Chapter 25 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

Disclaimer: Don't own Yu-gi-oh. Would have ended it differently.
 
Another chapter done in advance so I could keep updating for you guys during NaNoWriMo. Want to thank me? Click the review button.
 
And I'm sorry, but Death-T happens radically differently under the circumstances in the fic. Here's where it starts to get more AU.
 
YGOYGOYGOYGOYGOYGOYGOYGO
 
Yami and Jou walked to Yugi's home from the arcade together after the Shadow Game with the sore loser. Jou was ambling along with his hands in his pockets, trying not to be too visibly studying Yami. He glanced at him covertly.
 
This reminded him of walking Yami home with Anzu after the Shadow Game with the convict at the burger joint. Yami had been too tired to let Yugi take over then, he'd said. Jou… well, he wasn't sure, of course. But after everything that had happened… they had a lot of reasons to worry, but not much to justify those worries. He'd helped them out, and by Jou's standards he'd been pretty lenient, even if some of the things he'd done kind of scared Anzu.
 
Anzu was tough, but she was a girl, from a good home. She didn't get street justice. Not that Yami was dispensing street justice either, but… anyways, Anzu had a good arm on her and could kick like a bitch, but she was kind of innocent. Hadn't been around like he had.
 
Not to say that Yami didn't scare him too, but no real point in worrying: there probably wasn't anything they could do anyways, if he decided to get serious. Besides hope for the best and not cheat. Jou had picked up enough already to get cheating was an insta-fry in these Shadow Game things. Do and die.
 
Yami was looking around him, studying everything like it was new, but hiding it well enough he didn't look like a tourist. Jou didn't want to think about what it must have been like stuck in the Puzzle. Yugi had been pretty fierce about it.
 
Well, all in all Yami was a pretty good guy. He wasn't Jou's bud like Yugi was starting to be, but it wouldn't hurt to get on his good side either.
 
And he was very good at arcade games.
 
A limousine pulled up to the curb a little ahead of them. They glanced at it, but both kept walking. Nothing to do with them, most likely.
 
The chauffeur got out and bowed at them. They stopped, surprised, when that happened. “Master Yugi and his friend, I presume? Master Seto cordially requests your presence at his house!”
 
`Kaiba?' They both thought, surprised.
 
Yugi thought back to the previous day's Shadow Game, and the one with Kaiba himself a few weeks ago. -I hope we aren't in trouble.-
 
--…you are afraid there will be trouble because of my actions?—Yugi felt sadness from Yami. -I am sorry, Master.—
 
Yugi petted him. -It's okay. I'm sure it will be fine: you're with me, after all.-
 
Yami bowed, and Yugi could feel his love and worship. -I hope to be worthy of your faith in me, Master.—
 
Yugi drew him close and cuddled him. -You are, Yami. You are.-
 
Love. Yugi only wished it wasn't such a… servile love. But when could he broach the topic?
 
They got in the limousine, Yugi assuring the worried Yami it would be all right, even though the Kaibas were opponents: after all, Yami was here to protect Yugi.
 
-You are worthy to be my protector.- Yugi hugged Yami. -You're my best friend.-
 
Yami was startled. -But…--
 
-Shh.- Yugi held a finger to Yami's lips. -I know you don't think you are, but you are. I want you to be my friend.-
 
A strange mixture of hope and fear. -I… hope I will be worthy of such an honor.—
 
-You already are.- Yugi hugged him. Yugi wanted to say Yami was his equal, but he didn't want to scare Yami. Yugi had figured out (like he'd figured out so many other things about Yami, watching him so carefully) that Yami was still so horribly afraid of the Puzzle, and because of that he needed Yugi to be better than him.
 
Yugi was his hope, his light and his savior. Yugi was on a pedestal, which seemed a nice position to be in until you realized how uncomfortable it was.
 
Yami wasn't strong enough to fight the Puzzle. But Yugi had freed him from it. Probably only because the Puzzle had let him solve it, but Yami didn't want to see it that way.
 
Even though he had desperately begged Yugi not to anger the spirits of the Items when they had possessed Shadi because he feared they would crush him, Yami still saw Yugi as the only one who could save him from the Puzzle.
 
If Yugi was Yami's equal, that meant Yugi also stood no chance against the Puzzle if they tried to take Yami back. They both knew that was the case, but… Yugi didn't want to take away Yami's hope. Yami's faith in him.
 
It was beautiful and it was sad. And Yugi smiled a bittersweet smile as he held Yami in his arms and looked at him dreamily, while Yami's eyes were sharp and focused, paying attention to the world outside Yugi's Soul Room, the world filled with dangers for his Master. The world filled with opportunities to defend his Master and prove to himself he was worthy of staying with him.
 
“Why is Kaiba inviting us to his house?” Jou asked Yami.
 
Who switched back to Yugi. “He hasn't been at school recently…” Yugi glanced meaningfully at the driver. He didn't want to talk about Shadow Games and Yami in front of people he didn't know.
 
“Yes… Master Seto has been busy… he has been working on an important project…” the driver told them, busy keeping his eyes on the road. “He is the president of Kaiba Corporation, after all.”
 
“WHAA?!! The president of Kaiba Corp?!! The biggest amusement company in the business?!! But he's still in high school!” Jou's mouth hung open, he was so amazed.
 
“What's Kaiba Corp?”
 
…and Yugi not knowing that also amazed Jou. His Grandpa owned a game shop. How could he be so oblivious to the business aspect of gaming when he played every game under the sun? “It's one of the top companies in the world in the toy and game business!”
 
-So that's why Kaiba was so proud of being a great gamer…-
 
“And I'm the Vice President!” A familiar voice interrupted Yugi's musings. “It's been a while, Yugi! I had fun the other day… Heh heh…”
 
“You're Kaiba's little brother…” -A grade-schooler is the Vice President…?!-
 
Yami shrugged. He knew nothing about those things, but it didn't seem that strange to him, gamers controlling games.
 
The child smiled darkly. “Heh. I didn't tell you my name the last time. It's Mokuba. Kaiba Mokuba!”
 
-…Yeah, I have a bad feeling about this too. I know these brothers don't like us all that much…-
 
--They should be grateful.—Yami sighed. -But they are not wise enough to be.—
 
-Huh?-
 
--For the honor of a Shadow Game, and the chance to improve themselves by taking the penalty for their actions.—It seemed the simplest thing in the world to Yami.
 
“Hey, Yugi… Relax! You're going to get the V.I.P. treatment! The project my big brother was working on his finished. The opening ceremonies are tomorrow!” Mokuba's face was a I-know-something-you-don't know gloat. A nasty look.
 
Yugi didn't find that speech very reassuring.
 
“Opening ceremonies?” Jou wondered.
 
“Heh heh. So, anyway… My thoughtful, considerate brother wanted his two friends to be the first to enjoy it. So he's giving you a special invitation… which includes the pre-opening celebration tonight!”
 
“What's that project?” Yugi asked.
 
Jou was well aware this wasn't good. He barely knew Kaiba, and they both felt the same way about each other. Contempt. Rude bastard… he hadn't been that rude even when he was on the street. Guy thought he could treat everyone like dirt and they had to take it… back in the old days, he would have given someone like Kaiba a broken nose first time they met.
 
“That's a secret… you'll have to wait to find out!” Mokuba said cheerfully, then chuckled under his breath.
 
Yup, Yugi was getting a very bad feeling about this.
 
The rest of the ride passed in silence.
 
“We have arrived at the Kaiba residence,” the driver finally announced.
 
“Whoa! It's huge!!” Jou exclaimed.
 
The `residence' was a huge mansion, something benefiting a CEO. Yugi hadn't really grasped how rich Kaiba must be, even with the limousine, until he saw it.
 
They got out of the car and entered a cavernous entrance hall. “Don't hold back, come on in!” Mokuba invited them.
 
“Wow!” was all Jou could say at first, looking around. “It's like a European castle!” He finally found the right words, and Yugi had to agree.
 
Two rows of servant were standing in the middle of the hall, with a little old butler in white clothes standing in front of them, who said, “Welcome, we have been waiting for you!”
 
“Heh heh.. these are our servants,” Mokuba introduced them.
 
Mokuba looked rather out of place in a t-shirt and jeans.
 
“You are Master Seto's school friend, Master Yugi, are you not?” The butler came up to Yugi. He seemed to have a hard time seeing him even wearing glasses. “Master Seto has ordered us to make your stay as pleasant as possible.
 
Yugi wished he could believe him, and thought he was really creepy. Yami's presence reassured him, though.
 
“Hey, where's my brother?” Mokuba asked him, smiling for real the first time since they'd ran into him today.
 
“Yes… he retired to his rooms a while ago…” the butler seemed unhappy to have to say this, and Mokuba was definitely unhappy to hear it.
 
“What's his problem!? Why isn't he here for the pre-opening celebration?” Mokuba looked more like a regular kid now. His predatory, angry look was softened by a pout.
 
“Master Mokuba,” the butler said soothingly, “Master Seto has been working nonstop these last few days… I believe it would be best to not disturb his sleep.”
 
Mokuba turned to them. “Sorry `bout this, Yugi…” Mokuba didn't look very sorry on their behalf. He looked… hurt, angry, trying to hide it… and possibly going to take it out on them. This seemed to be something that aggravated him. “Looks like my big brother won't be able to see your for a while. So tonight, you're my guests! I'll take good care of you!”
 
“Master Mokuba… shall we prepare a meal..?” The butler asked with an odd tone in his voice.
 
“Yeah! That sounds good! I'm starving!” Jou agreed. Screw all this mysterious stuff and whatever that Kaiba bastard was up to, he was hungry!
 
“What?! Why didn't you say something? I'll treat you to the best food in the world!” Mokuba looked a little friendlier at the thought.
 
“Wow! The best food in the world!” Jou inwardly cheered! He'd have settled for something out of a can, like at his dad's place.
 
“I wonder if it'll be gourmet food?” Yugi was excited too. Rich people like this had five-star chefs and things! French, Italian… he couldn't wait to taste it!
 
“You! Prepare the special course!” Mokuba ordered the butler.
 
“Yes sir!” He bowed. “We will serve it at once!”
 
“Heh heh… We're both going to enjoy this…” Mokuba said to himself, but Yami heard.
 
“This is gonna be great!” Jou told Yugi.
 
A few minutes later, they went into the dining room. That had been pretty quick… but maybe the driver had sent a signal, or the staff had known when they would arrive to get ready. Rich people could do things like that…
 
“Dinner is served!” Mokuba smiled, looking down at a table with six dishes arranged on a wheel.
 
Yugi and Jou looked at them. This… wasn't what they were expecting.
 
`Ugh!' Jou thought, dissopointed. `I was hoping for some fantastic cooking, but this is… a sundae, a hamburger, a kiddie lunch, pancakes… Just what a spoiled kid would think of!'
 
“What do you think?! Doesn't it look good?!” Mokuba was smiling a little too broadly. “Don't hold back, dig in…”
 
Yugi had a bad feeling about this.
 
“That's what I'd like to say,” Mokuba continued, looking more predatory now. “But that wouldn't be interesting! What do you think about playing a little game?”
 
…yeah. Yugi definitely had a bad feeling about this.