Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ Do You Dream of Me? ❯ Chapter 28

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

Disclaimer: I don't own Yu-gi-oh. Given how much I've missed, I would have been sacked by now if I were the mangaka.
 
And here is the real start of the Death-T arc. My biggest (over novel length) fanfic project has an end in sight. 20 or so chapters is sight, right? Don't worry, there's still going to be a lot to enjoy.
 
/\\//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\// \\/
 
“Did you sleep okay, Jou?” Yugi asked when they were left almost alone at the huge breakfast table. Except for the servants at the doors.
 
“Don't worry, Yug. I slept fine.” Jou waved off Yugi's concern. Sure, there was weird stuff going on, but he'd slept in alleys after escaping rival gangs, couches in crowded clubs, and his own home while his father was drunk. It would take more than a little worry to keep him up.
 
He would have expected Yugi to be worried sick, though. But then, Jou had come to understand that the kid was a lot tougher than he looked. Kid, huh. He was always annoyed like crazy when someone called him a kid even though he was in high school. He sure looked like a kid, though. “But I hate staying at Kaiba's house! Makes me feel like I owe him a favor.” First, he didn't owe that jerk anything. Hadn't asked for this. Second, this was all part of some sort of plan. That was easy to tell, even if his instincts hadn't been honed on the streets. Yugi had only confirmed it last night.
 
If this Kaiba-bastard was going after Yugi, Jou would help out his bud. Yami would too, he knew.
 
“I wonder if Grandpa is worried…” Yugi shut his mouth. He had to be worried. First he had been almost kidnapped, then Yami had told him Yugi was staying over at the house of the probably culprit.
 
“Hey, Yugi,” Jou said to distract him from his worries, “What's with this `Opening Ceremony” that's supposed to be today?”
 
“Donno,” Yugi said softly. “But I have a bad feeling about it!” A very bad feeling. “I feel like we're in jail…” Yugi glanced at the servant guarding one of the doors. A black suit and sunglasses. “Like they're guarding us so we don't escape the mansion… and they locked us in.” Yugi had tried the door when he'd gotten up in the morning.
 
Yami had helped him sleep, so he'd been well-rested and had gotten up before the servant had knocked on the door to tell them to get ready for breakfast. Yami had summoned a monster to clean his clothes and Jou's. Jou's eyebrows had risen, seeing a monster do laundry magically, but he had already known Yami could summon them.
 
“Sorry to keep you waiting.” The butler they had seen last night entered the room. “Master Seto will see you know.”
 
Finally!
 
Kaiba appeared at the top of the stairs in white clothes with a dressing gown over them. “Good to see you, Yugi! I've missed you so much!” He was grinning, honest pleasure and happiness in his eyes.
 
Yugi was surprised. Jou was suspicious. If this was just about revenge… that didn't feel like it was all an act.
 
“Why the long faces?” Kaiba asked, seeing their expressions. “It's been so long since I've seen you… Come on, Yugi! Jounouchi! Let's have some fun together!”
 
“Cut the crap, Kaiba!” He was sick of this seeming politeness. Running into things head on at least let you know where the walls were. “You forced us to come here! And you sent guys to kidnap Yugi's grandpa! And you expect us to be happy to see you?”
 
“They did? That was bad of them… sometimes subordinates get overenthusiastic, you know how it is…” Kaiba waved it off.
 
“Kidnapping is overenthusiastic?!” Trying to kidnap gramps… what a bastard!
 
“Where are you taking us, Kaiba?” Yugi asked, trying to calm things down.
 
“Heh heh… a place you can only dream of!” Another smile. “Well then…” Kaiba pointed to the door. “We're wasting time! We must leave at once!”
 
They passed through what Jou had inwardly christened the Great Hall again on their way out, walking on a red carpet lined with bowing servants. “Have a good trip, Seto-sama!” they chorused.
 
“I can't wait for you to see this, Yugi!” Kaiba said, ignoring the fanfare.
 
In the limo, Kaiba explained, “As you know, I own Kaiba Corporation… I had to take over when my father, the founder, passed away six months ago. But my dream project is finally complete!” Another one of those smiles. “I'm sure you'll enjoy it as much as I have. Look, you can see it from here!” He pointed out the window. “My tower of dreams that soars over Domino!”
 
Yugi and Jou stared, faces pressed against the glass. “Wow! You built this skyscraper, Kaiba?”
 
“This is `Kaiba Land!' It's an indoor amusement park!” Outside of it a crowd of kids were waiting.
 
When the limo stopped and Kaiba stepped out, a bowing employee said, “We have been waiting for you, sir.”
 
“Look! It's Kaiba, the game kind!” one of the boys in the crowd said excitedly.
 
“The world's greatest gamer! He's my hero!”
 
“Hello, everyone!” Kaiba waved. The smile on his face was a little more artificial now that it was one donned for his adoring public. “Welcome to the Grand Opening of Kaiba Land!”
 
“Yaay Kaiba!!!” the crowd chorused.
 
“Jeez, the kids like him…” Jou looked stern.
 
Yugi was amazed.
 
“Yugi! Kaiba Land is scheduled to open in three days, but… there's a special event today, so we're opening the doors to certain children by invitation only before the official opening, for free of course! And I want you to have fun too!” Now there was something chilling mixed in that smile. But only if you were looking for it.
 
`Huh… maybe he's not all bad,' Jou thought.
 
If it hadn't been for the almost-kidnapping, this would have convinced Yugi he was just being paranoid.
 
“Well then, everyone!” Kaiba turned back to the crowd. “We are open!”
 
The crowd surged toward the doors. “Welcome to Kaiba Land!”
 
The air was filled with exclamations of surprise and pleasure at the wide variety and amount of cool games.
 
“Do you see now, Yugi? My dream is to open Kaiba Lands all over the world for children everywhere to enjoy!” For the first time, Yugi noticed the lines under his eyes. He must have worked himself to the bone for this.
 
Yami nodded. This is indeed his dream, Master. I knew he was a true gamer.
 
Why did he steal the Blue-Eyes, then? Yugi asked.
 
His soul was drawn to it. If he learned from the game, then… but still. Motou-sama.
 
Yugi sighed. I'd like to believe in Kaiba. But we can't trust him.
 
I am sorry my game drew his attention to you.
 
No, he stole the card first. If it weren't for you, I wouldn't have gotten it back. Like I said, thank you. Yugi hugged him.
 
You don't need to thank me, Master.
 
I want to, though. Another hug.
 
Yami returned to keeping watch.

“Awright, let's go play too!” Jou exclaimed, pretending to be entirely taken in. If Kaiba let them go play games, maybe they could sneak out…
 
“I know what you did, Seto!” A strange man had come up behind them. His face was unshaven and filled with rage. “You killed the C.E.O.!”
 
Kaiba looked to the side, a strange look in his eyes. A look of… sadness, guilt…
 
“You took over Kaiba Corporation and drove the CEO, your own father, to commit suicide… You're the devil incarnate!” the man screamed, pointing at Seto.
 
“Throw him out!” Seto ordered a guard.
 
“Yes sir!”
 
Two of them dragged the man away, as he shouted, “Let me go, damn it! He's the devilll!!”
 
“He used to be my father's right-hand man… but now he's a worthless has-been. There have been many rumors… my father's death was a tragedy, but I had nothing to do with it.” Another strange look in his eyes… gloating?
 
Kaiba looks completely different from before! Which is his true face…?! Yugi wondered.
 
Yami shrugged. A game would tell us.
 
“Well, then Yugi! Let me show you around the park!” Kaiba gave them a guided tour. “No expense was spared on Kaiba Land. Everything in the park is on the cutting edge of technology! Try our 3D simulation rides!”
 
Inside a small room, only one exit, Jou noticed. The monsters in the ride were so real-seeming! Yugi noticed that.
 
“The real fun is yet to come! What I'm about to show you is the biggest attraction of this Opening Ceremony! I've prepared a special show just for you!”
 
Just for me?! “Oh, come on! You didn't have to!” Yugi said depreciatingly. I can hear people cheering!
 
“It's beyond these doors! After you! You've got reserved seats!” Kaiba gestured them to two double doors.
 
“Yeahh! It's Kaiba!”
 
Jou and Yugi walked through the doors… into a stadium!
 
What the…. It looks like an arena! There's a cube in the middle of it!
 
“Kai-ba! Kai-ba!” the crowd chanted.
 
There's someone inside it! Yugi looked closer. Ah!!! It's… my Grandpa! Sugoroku looked determined. What in the world is my Grandpa doing here?! I though he was safe!
 
He was not kidnapped, I swear it! Yami was shocked as well.
 
“Grandpa!” Yugi yelled.
 
“Yugi!” Sugoroku tried to tell him things, but the glass-like cube was soundproof.
 
What is he saying?
 
That he came to rescue you because he was worried, against my advice, and has been challenged to a duel to free you! Yami was growing angry.
 
“Grandpa!” Yugi moved toward the cage, only to be intercepted by a guard.
 
“Stay back!”
 
“Yaay, It's Kaiba!” The crowd was still going wild. “Kai-ba, Kai-ba!” Kaiba was carrying a steel briefcase and moving slowly towards the cube. “No one can beat Kaiba at any game! That's what makes him so cool! Yaay Kaiba!”
 
Kaiba took off the dressing gown dramatically. “For your entertainment,” he addressed the crowd, “You will now witness a match of the world's #1 Collectable card game, Duel Monsters! My challenger is this gentleman, Sugoroku Motou! He is said to be a game master who has never lost a duel!”
 
“Wa ha ha! That old guy is challenging Kaiba?!” The crowd scoffed at the idea. “There's no way he can win!”
 
Kaiba entered the cube. After inviting Sugoroku to not pull any punches, he quoted Yami, saying, “Game Start! Incidentally, old man, this cube is a high-tech product made especially for this game… It may be hard of someone of your advanced age!”
 
Why became apparent when Kaiba played a card, and the monster appeared, just like in Yami's Shadow Game! Only Yugi was instantly aware that wasn't the real monster. A hologram?
 
Was Kaiba trying to use his resources to surpass Yami's magic?! Yugi was amazed and Yami was approving of the skill with which the duel was fought. Until, finally, Sugoroku drew the Blue-Eyes White Dragon. It was all over then.
 
When Kaiba countered with three of them! Sugoroku lost! The speakers that had broadcast their moves were turned of, but Yami told Yugi what Kaiba said about how he had ruined the cards' owners to acquire them.
 
And then Kaiba ripped up Sugoroku's card as punishment for betraying him! “And now, old man! I'll give you a `Penalty Game!'” He looked out of the corners of his eyes at Yugi as he said this.
 
Monsters appeared! Sugoroku quailed. Kaiba laughed madly. “You'll `know death' by virtual reality!” Then Kaiba left the cube to the cheers of the crowd.
 
“Heh heh.” Now Kaiba's face showed cruelty. “We've done human experiments in that simulator. We discovered that the average person goes insane in about 10 minutes. If we don't stop it your grandfather will be destroyed…”
 
Yami looked out of Yugi's eyes. “What do you mean, we?” He started to raise a hand.
 
“In front of all these people?” Kaiba grinned wider.
 
Yami scowled. He couldn't! He knew enough of these modern times to guess at what would happen then.
 
“I have one condition for stopping the simulator! You must swear to face the hidden attraction of Kaiba Land, `Death-T!' The Theme Park of Death that I built to exact my revenge on you!”
 
Theme Park of Death?! …but they had no choice, did they? Kaiba had got them.