Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ Do You Dream of Me? ❯ Chapter 31

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

Disclaimer: I don't own Yu-gi-oh. If I did, I wouldn't be doing a fanfiction that's rewriting it.
 
I left the issues of Shonen Jump with the manga I need to do the next few chapters in my dorm room while I'm across the country for the holidays. So, in order to still do updates, I'm going to skim over the next few games so I can get to where it becomes more AU and I don't need the manga. Sorry to anyone who really wanted to see those games.
 
/\\//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\//\
 
A guillotine, a murderer… Yugi had thought he would have to call Yami out then, but Jou had handled it. He was still amazed by what great friends he had, not only were they sticking to him despite him getting them in all this danger, they were handling it beautifully, every twisted game that came their way, without panicking, in fact showing great intelligence and strength.
 
He really hoped nothing happened to them. He didn't know what he'd done to deserve friends like these. They even accepted Yami, even though Jou was afraid of ghosts… nothing would ever scare them away from him, he hoped. No, knew.
 
Even though he was in mortal peril, and Yami was slumbering in his heart instead of giving him reassurance, he was almost having the time of his life. His expertise as a game master was winning over Kaiba's experience and fortune! With the help of his friends, of course. He felt so proud of himself!
 
He was almost regretting that he would have to let Yami out soon. He wanted to see how far he could go, what challenges he could face!
 
But he hadn't denied Tea the chance to help out, and he wouldn't deny it to Yami either. Yami wasn't some replacement, just taking him over when he couldn't handle things, like Yugi had sometimes thought when he had been feeling depressed in the past, unworthy of Yami. Yami was his friend.
 
He could feel Yami's utter devotion even though he was resting. Peace and happiness, joy he was in the light of Yugi's soul. Almost fully healed now from what the Puzzle had done to him.
 
Except he didn't have his memories back.
 
Yami had told Yugi that something about Kaiba reminded him of something… had there been a person named Seth? Had they been friend or foe?
 
Something to tell Grandpa and Professor Yoshimori when they finally got together to discuss what they had found out about Yami's and the Items' past. If there was a historical person named Seth who was like Kaiba…
 
Had they looked like Kaiba? What was it that had triggered Yami's memories?
 
Yami didn't seem to be truly angry at Kaiba, despite everything. More like… disappointed in a friend, wanting to snap them out of something. He'd tried to help Kaiba with the vision of death in the Shadow Realm.
 
That had been a different Penalty Game from the others. Instead of making the person judged incapacitated in some way so they wouldn't hurt others until they learned some lesson, or dealt with more finally if they were beyond redemption, he had simply given him a lesson and expected him to learn it and not need to be held back beyond that.
 
Had they been friends? A fellow game master, a player of Shadow Games… Kaiba's illusions, the ones he had inflicted on Grandpa, had been an attempt to replicate a Penalty Game in the Shadow Realm.
 
Had he just done that to surpass Yami, or out of some sense of…
 
Yugi knew there was a connection between Yami and Kaiba somehow. He felt it too, the frustration that Kaiba was acting so cruel and inhuman. It shouldn't be like this. No one should do things like this, but it hurt worse that a fellow gamer was, someone who was a champion, a role model. Someone who should have been confident in themselves and their ability to win without cheating.
 
Yugi's eyes widened. They had come to an open room and settled down to wait. What if…
 
Was Kaiba cheating?
 
First Honda had been here when this pre-opening day was by invitation only, Kaiba had said. Then there had been Anzu, equipped with not just a normal laser gun but one of the high-voltage ones the mercenaries had had. If Kaiba had done research on him (and surely he had, after going to all this trouble to build this elaborate game), then he had to know Anzu was his friend.
 
She hadn't been hired randomly. Yugi knew it.
 
Then the piece of paper with the seeming word blood on it… a clue.
 
These were games, after all, not just traps. In a game, both players have to have a chance to win. Games have to be fair, to be games.
 
These were hard games, deadly games, warped games, but still games.
 
Kaiba was giving them a fighting chance when he could have simply destroyed them. Yugi hadn't even had to use Yami's powers yet.
 
Kaiba had said… when he had seen the monsters come to life, that this was the extreme game he had been looking for. Extreme… dangerous, weird…
 
Kaiba had looked so alive when there was the danger. Even though he had cheated… now he looked at it that way, giving the mercenaries different guns seemed more like a puzzle, part of the game, than cheating.
 
Kaiba thought highly enough of Yu… Yami to think he was a high enough level game master to survive such difficult games?
 
What a strange compliment.
 
Yami was that good, Yugi knew. It was a boost to his ego that he was proving that he was just as high level, worthy of Yami. He pet Yami's hair as he slept, nestled in his soul. And felt a pang of… jealousy?
 
Kaiba was appending millions of yen on Yami, on a challenge fitted to Yami.
 
Kaiba and Yami each considered each other game masters, worthy opponents.
 
Kaiba had fame and fortune. Not like Yugi that almost everyone had overlooked.
 
Kaiba and Yami had known each other somehow. How could that be? Reincarnation? What exactly had they been to each other? Best friends? More?
 
Maybe it was just his jealousy talking, but Yugi felt that they had been close. They were… very alike. Harsh, sometimes, seemingly unfair in that they overpowered opponents, but truly fair, fitting the game to the situation like hand to glove.
 
Kaiba was overcoming the handicap of no magic to challenge Yami. What did Yugi have to measure up to that?
 
No! Kaiba shouldn't have been the one to solve the Puzzle and have Yami! Hadn't Shadi said something about destiny? Yami was meant for him and him alone!
 
His hands clenched tight around the Puzzle's chain and he inwardly chenched his teeth and pulled Yami into a tight hug. His Yami.
 
Maybe Kaiba seemed like a better match, but Yugi would overcome him! Beat him as Yami had, prove he was worthy of Yami, Yami's equal as a game master! Yami had been teaching him a little magic, even if he didn't have money…
 
Kaiba had magic. Somehow Yugi knew it. Kaiba didn't know how to use it, wasn't in touch with himself (warped…), wasn't in harmony with allies in the Shadow Realm, but Kaiba had that same strength Yami did, strength of shadows.
 
Yugi's power was of light. Light that gave strength to shadows and fought away darkness.
 
And that reassured him. Yugi was the one whose soul was bright enough to keep Yami safe in the light. The balm to his wounds. Yugi was the one Yami loved, even if only in a strange way, not as equals.
 
Yami was the one Yugi loved. He would never let him go. Never, never.
 
His hand relaxed around the Puzzle. Yami was his. Every bit of his soul felt it, and Yami felt the same. Devoted Yami.
 
He sighed in relief.
 
“Penny for `em?” Jou asked, looking at him. Anzu and Honda broke up their argument about who should carry the baby and also turned to him.
 
Yugi shook his head. “Just thinking about Kaiba, and that nothing bad has happened so far.”
 
Jou winced and looked around. “Cross your fingers, quick! Darn, there's no wood to knock on… I hope you didn't just jinx us, Yugi.”
 
Yugi winced. “I hope so too, Jou. But the games have been fair, if you think about it.”
 
“Fair? Kaiba, fair? What about the lasers?” Jou sputtered.
 
“Anzu was right there with one.”
 
“You're right, it is a coincidence that I just lost my job, just was hired here, and was put right where I would run into you guys.” Anzu nodded, pushing Johji back to Honda. “For the last time, I am not carrying that kid!”
 
“Come on, Anzu!”
 
“Waaaah!” Johji cried crocodile tears.
 
“I said no!”
 
“We need some sorta good luck charm.” Jou nodded firmly.
 
Honda laughed. “You're superstitious, Jou?”
 
Jou pointed at the Puzzle. “We've got ancient ghosts and magic and all sorts of weird stuff going on, and you're ragging on good luck charms?”
 
“Good point.” Honda nodded and grabbed Johji, who was trying to crawl to Anzu's lap again. “And what's with the waiting? We've been here for ages.”
 
“Maybe the game is to find some way out of the room?” Yugi looked up. “There's a small hole way up there…”
 
Jou shook his head. “Sheer walls, and even if we stood on each other's shoulders we couldn't even hoist you up, Yugi. Dumb game.”
 
“I don't think it's that then… thanks for standing by me, guys.”
 
“We've been friends for ages, Yugi.” Anzu shrugged it off.
 
“Hey, we're buds now.” Jou grinned.
 
“Any pal of Jou's is a pal of mine, and you're a good pal.” Honda nodded.
 
“What about me? I've helped you out too!” Johji waved his arms.
 
“Yeah, and then you lured me into a trap!” Jou scowled. Johji tried to hide behind Anzu, but was pushed away.
 
“Friends forever.” Anzu ignored the mini pervert, smiling.
 
“Friends forever,” Jou and Honda repeated.
 
Anzu laughed. “Hey, I got an idea for a good luck charm! Everybody, hold out your right hands like this…”
 
She drew a smiley face, part of it on each of their hands.
 
“A smiley face? Couldn't you have done something cool, Anzu?”
 
“It's my marker, I pick what to draw.”
 
“Why do you have a marker, anyways?”
 
“I'm supposed to use it to cross out the tickets of people who played the laser game. Or… I was supposed to use it. I'm probably fired now.” Anzu sighed. “Now I'm going to need to get another job… at this rate, it's going to take more than five years to save up enough to go to New York…”
 
Yugi smiled. “I'm sure you'll do it, Anzu!”
 
Suddenly, a block fell a ways away from them. They all jumped to their feet and looked up. The ceiling was made out of blocks! One of them flashed red right on top of them! They all got out of the way, and a second later, it fell!
 
They kept dodging blocks breathlessly, climbing to the top of the blocks as the floor was covered, and more kept falling! “I think we have to climb on them and make it to that exit!” Yugi pointed to the hole.
 
This was tough for him, he was the shortest so it was hard to get on top of the blocks or jump from block to block. Fortunately, his three friends kept an eye on him, giving him a hand when he needed it. He smiled, seeing the simple symbol, even though the ink was running with the sweat and rubbing so soon after it was made.
 
Jou was the first through the hole, then Honda handed him Johji, then they helped Anzu through. Then Yugi, who had ended up a ways away and had to jump over, Finally, Jou reached his hand for Honda to come up.
 
“I can't.”
 
“What! Don't joke around, Honda!”
 
“I'm stuck.” His clothes were trapped under a block, and the part trapped included the clasp to get out of them.
 
Jou's and Anzu's eyes widened. “No…”
 
Yugi concentrated, and the block holding Honda captive slid away. “Honda, quick!”
 
Honda dived through the hole just before a block slammed down, blocking it.
 
Jou and Anzu looked at each other. “Thank you, Yami.”
 
“Thanks.”
 
“Thanks man, you just saved my life.” Honda was panting.
 
Yugi was panting harder, sitting down and leaning against the wall.
 
“Are you all right, Yugi?” Anzu put her hand on his shoulder.
 
“I… did that, no time to wake up Yami… heavy…” Yugi panted.
 
“Are you going to be okay?” Her eyes were soft.
 
“I'll be fine, just… five minutes.” He closed his eyes, just for a second.