Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ Do You Dream of Me? ❯ Chapter 33

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

Disclaimer: I don't own Yu-gi-oh. If I did, it would be novels, because I'm way out of practice at drawing.
 
So sorry about missing last week, I've been sick for a while now. Don't worry, I am going to finish this fic. Thanks to everyone who has kept following it through all the ups and downs.
 
/\\//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\//\
 
Yugi's three friends looked at each other. Kaiba was the enemy, right?
 
And to think a few weeks ago they would have been glad that someone wanted to take the Puzzle, and Yami, away.
 
But Yami was a friend and Yugi would be heartbroken, so…
 
Anzu rested her hand on Yugi's shoulder as he smiled up at her, trying not to look worried. “Let's get going, Yugi.”
 
“Yeah, we can't let that Kaiba jerk win!” Jou grinned, punching his open hand.
 
“Yeah! And thanks for saving my life back there, Yugi,” Honda chimed in.
 
Honda's life had only been in danger because of him. But Yugi smiled.
 
“Okay, let's keep going!” Jou started off down the hallway before they could lose the momentum.
 
When they got to the end of the corridor they stared in shock. Kaiba's Death-T was so elaborate. A huge stadium? With a glass box like the one Kaiba and Grandpa had dueled in suspended over what looked like a life-size Capsule Monster Chess board?
 
On the other end of the stadium stood Mokuba, dwarfed by two guards. “Welcome to my stage, Death-T 4, Yugi!” His arms were folded in front of his chest and he was smiling cruelly. A miniature Kaiba. “This is a battle between you and me! Leave your friends where they are and come to the Duel Box alone!”
 
Yugi's friends wanted to come with him, told him it was too dangerous to do alone, but Yugi shook his head, determined. “It's okay! I'm not a weakling anymore! I'm not alone!” He reached for Yami and Yami responded instantly, happy Yugi would allow him to stand by his side in battle.
 
“Mazaki-sama, Jounouchi-sama! We will win, no harm will come to Yugi-dono!” Yami smiled at them confidently, happy at yet another demonstration of their loyalty to Yugi. It was good to know he had other protectors as valiant as these.
 
Yugi and Yami walked together to the glass box, where Mokuba was already seated. “Yugi, and the other Yugi! Congratulations on making it all the way to Death-T 4!”
 
“You again… have you learned your lesson?”
 
“You'll see how much I've learned!” Like not to cheat. He wanted to beat this spirit and show his big brother how strong he was! “I'll let you two in on something! The last stage you're trying to get to… the final arena with my big brother… is on the floor above this one. See, that elevator takes you there!”
 
“So we must defeat you to get to it.”
 
“Like even two of you have a chance! You're going to fail at this stage, and either you hand over the Puzzle because you lost a game or your friends get it!”
 
Yami's eyes darted over to where Jou, Anzu, and Honda stood. Mokuba's guards had guns at their heads! Yugi was shocked and horrified, but Yami seemed jaded by danger. He would win here.
 
Yugi hoped they wouldn't lose. Having to choose between his friends and Yami… he had a black suspicion that would be an easy choice to make. He didn't want to think about that.
 
“Yugi!” Jou would have shouted to Yami too, but the stadium was packed, and Yami was still a secret, even if the Kaibas knew about him “Don't worry about us! Just kick his butt at his own game!”
 
Brave Jounouchi-sama.
 
“Now let the game begin!” Mokuba announced. “Death-T 4! The competition this time is,” as though the giant board hadn't given it away, “Capsule Monster Chess! The virtual reality version!”
 
Mokuba's best game. He was a master of it. But he was not a Game Master. The child was a child, and outclassed. Yami's face displayed nothing of what Mokuba had obviously hoped for. Mokuba kept explaining, wanting to show off his brother's invention. “We will play Capsule Monster Chess in this board” he pointed to the normal one on the table in the glass box where they sat, “but the battle will be displayed by virtual reality on the giant field below us.”
 
Kaiba's attempt at a shadow game.
 
Mokuba demonstrated with a small, weak piece he labeled Yugi and a level 5 (the strongest level) monster he labeled himself. The armorsaurus blasted the hyumoko. “And you already know what the Penalty game is.” Mokuba grinned cruelly. “Now the game begins!”
 
We'll beat you, Mokuba! Yugi thought. We have to!
 
We will, my Master. He is no match for the two of us combined. Yami smiled. I am honored to fight by your side.
 
Let's do this! For Grandpa!
 
Let's do this! For Grandpa!
 
Yes!
 
“I'll take you on, Mokuba.” Yami smiled. This would be a nice warm-up, and another chance to teach a Kaiba who, like his brother, had the potential to be a true game master, though not as great a one as Kaiba would be if he were not… poisoned.
 
“First, we each draw our capsules from the machine!” Mokuba pointed.
 
“Okay!” A level three. And this time, the machine had not been tampered with. Mokuba had learned. “You seem to have learned something. Perhaps this will not be as boring as it seems.”
 
“I don't need to learn anything from you! I have my big brother!” Mokuba took a capsule. Level 4.
 
“Your brother is wise… about everything but honor and that it is always the wisest path.”
Level 4 as well.
 
Mokuba ended up with the better monsters, by a fair margin. Yami started to place his. This would be a battle of strategy.
 
He had the edge on Mokuba in one area. That he was unfamiliar with this game. As a winner of tournaments, Mokuba had acquired expectations about what was the wisest course.
 
Yami and Yugi did not have that experience, and they were both geniuses. If they could see something Mokuba didn't…
 
Mokuba mocked their layout. Apparently they had.
 
Jou shouted out encouragement.
 
Mokuba moved first.
 
Yami kept passing until Mokuba had moved into the desired positions.
 
Yami tricked Mokuba into making two of his monsters destroy each other. Forgive me, he told a monster as he asked it to self-destruct destroying another monster.
 
And leaving the path of his weakest remaining monster to Mokuba's evolution space unguarded.
 
Mokuba watched helplessly as the level two became a level five. “No matter how weak a monster is, if you believe in each step it takes, it will grow strong!” As Master believed in him, had rescued him when he lay helpless, healed him, made him into a worthy protector.
 
You encourage me too. Yugi smiled and hugged him, elated that the move he had spotted had succeeded. I'm not as strong as you yet, but I'm getting there! All thanks to you.
 
…you are stronger than I.
 
Inside, Yugi shook his head. You are. But we'll keep making each other stronger, and who knows? One day… one day I might surpass you. Maybe on that day he would be able to keep him even if the Millennium Items wanted to imprison him again.
 
Well they had said they wanted Yami to defeat their enemy, so… they would have to let him get strong for that, right?
 
He destroyed Mokuba's level two and went after his last monster. A level five, just like his evolved one.
 
His monster disappeared, destroyed, and while Mokuba gloated and went to destroy Yugi's level four… his last monster, the one that had seemingly survived the attack, fell to pieces.
 
“You know the saying, it's not over till it's over?” Yami told Mokuba as his gloating turned to the anguish of defeat. “Well, now it's over! I win, Mokuba. But you have learned much. You fought with honor.”
 
Mokuba didn't seem to hear him, eyes glazed over in shock and dawning panic. Why was he so upset?
 
Jou, Anzu, Honda, and even Johji cheered while the crowd stared, amazed that Mokuba, the champion, had lost to some “pointy haired kid.”
 
“Morons!” Jou shouted to the crowd, elated. “He's not “that pointy-haired kid! His name is Yugi! He's my bud!”
 
Jou was proud of him, Yami was proud of him. The only dark spot was Mokuba, slumped over the table, brokenly whispering, “No way… no way…” over and over.
 
“I'm going.”
 
Shouldn't we talk to him?
 
He has taken this badly, Master. I think he needs some time, now. But this should inspire him to challenge us again, and that will give us the opportunity to teach him. Yami walked out of the glass box. And we must hurry to where Kaiba is, to avenge your Grandfather's connection to the Blue Eyes.
 
“Wait, Yugi!” Mokuba sprang up and reached after him. Yami paused, but did not turn back to Mokuba. “I… I won't believe it! There's no way I could lose!”
 
Fear. The air around him vibrated with it. Was he expecting Yami to give him a penalty game? “You dueled fairly. You need not fear a Penalty from me.”
 
Kaiba's face appeared on giant screens. “He does from me. I've been waiting for you, Yami. Good job. I've gotten bored of these amusements, and I'm sure you have as well. Take the path to the elevator and rise to the final stage!”
 
“I will! Don't you go anywhere! You'll get your game all right, Kaiba?” What was this of a penalty game? Kaiba was not a participant in this game, he had no right to impose one. Unless he had made some private bet with Mokuba?
 
Yugi's blood ran cold. Surely he…
 
“Seto… Ah… I…” Mokuba looked pleadingly at the screens.
 
“I've felt your pathetic, clinging loser's gaze staring at my back for years. I kept telling you over and over, Mokuba… if you play with fire you'll get burned…”
 
Horror, plain on Mokuba's face. “B-big brother!”
 
“You understand, don't you? Only the winner is allowed out of that duel box! A penalty game awaits the loser! That is the law of Death-T!”
 
Tendrils of fog stated to appear in the glass box Yami had just left as Mokuba stared, heartbroken.
 
Then he screamed as the monsters appeared. But no sound left the box.
 
He's doing what he did to Grandpa! To his own brother! Yugi was outraged.
 
It is fair, but not right!
 
Help him!
 
That would be interfering with a Penalty! That would set us at a disadvantage at facing Kaiba! Yami held the body still.
 
Do it!
 
But Master, I must defend you, and… Yami was torn, glancing at Mokuba.
 
If I am your Master, then help him! I don't want anyone to suffer! Not you, not my Grandpa, not Mokuba!
 
…as you wish. Yami was relieved, and grateful.
 
When Yami opened the door, sound came out. “S-save me, big brother!”
 
Yami reached his hand through the illusions. “Mokuba! Take my hand!”
 
Mokuba reached back, fear on his face, and desperation. Yami pulled him out.
 
Mokuba stared, eyes pleading. “Why… why did you save me?” He had clearly hoped the one who reached out to him was Kaiba.
 
“Because my Master ordered me to.”
 
“Why did he want to save me, then?”
 
“I wished to save you, but feared for the safety of the one I love. To interfere in a penalty… but he did it because he is pure, kind and good. He cares for his friends, his foes honorable or not, for strangers. He placed himself unknowingly in peril to save me, and did not abandon me to torment again when he learned the truth.”
 
Mokuba stared as though Yami had spoken words he had not heard before. Then his eyes darkened with a painful memory and he whimpered “No!” covering his ears.
 
What can we do for him?
 
Heal Kaiba, and we heal him.
 
We have to beat him, then.
 
They headed toward the elevator, together.
 
But… Yugi asked as the elevator rose, what can we do? You tried to help him before, and then he went after my family, my friends…
 
His heart has been corrupted. Yami sighed. He would be almost as pure as you, if not for that. He has a strong spirit.
 
You know him.
 
…yes, or someone like him. Someone… like Jounouchi-sama is to you.
 
A friend? It must hurt…
 
To see him like this. Yes. But with your help, we will help him.
 
The elevator door opened on the last arena.