Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ Do You Dream of Me? ❯ Chapter 50

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

Disclaimer: I don't own Yu-gi-oh.
 
Wow, 50th chapter of DYDOM. And it seems like only yesterday I started writing fanfic.
 
- - - - - - - - - - - -
 
“This is the battlefield for the adventure board game, `Monster World!'”
 
“Wow! I can't wait to play!” Yugi was enthusiastic already. Bakura had done a really good job setting it up.
 
“Me too Yugi.” After they admired the board for a while, Bakura asked, “Well, are we ready to start playing?”
 
“Yeah!”
 
Bakura explained the rules. It was the Dark Master versus the Adventurers. The Dark Master controlled the monsters and the other players worked as a team. To win, the Dark Master (Bakura, of course) had to defeat all the adventurers. The adventurers had to find the `boss monster' and destroy him.
 
“So we get to kill things?” Jou thought this would be fun. Provided nobody ended up in a coma.
 
Yugi said it was a role-playing game.
 
“And do you know the true meaning of role-playing?” Bakura asked. “Playing a role! You have to become the character! By getting inside the mind of the character and acting out your part, the players can enter an imaginary world! It's the original virtual reality! That is the true beauty of this game.”
 
They needed to choose races, then classes, and buy equipment. Bakura smiled inwardly. Choose carefully. You'll be playing that character for longer than you think. A lot longer!
 
“Awright! We finished making our characters!” Jou announced.
 
Bakura looked them over and everything was in order. “Okay! Let me put the final touches on your miniatures.”
 
“Wow! You made these figures look just like us!” Jou exclaimed, picking up his.
 
“Yes, I pride myself on my attention to detail.” Was there a secret smile there? Or was it just understandable pride? “I'll enter your character data into the computer for reference. These numbers will make all the difference when you get into a life-or-death fight! As the `master' I make the crucial rolls!”
 
And it was time for “Game Start!”
 
Jou was surprised that the board was blank. Everything was hidden! They decided to go to a town for information.
 
It sounded like the figures were really talking! Bakura must be throwing his voice, right?
 
And one of them, the one that looked like Karita, the gym teacher, said “Save me, you guys! He turned me into a miniature!” Before giving them directions to Zorc's castle.
 
Zorc was obviously the boss. He had appeared, killed the king and was killing villagers.
 
They all kept smiles on their faces and acted like nothing was wrong. Being turned into a miniature? That made the ones that looked just like them really creepy…
 
“Okay! Now we know our mission! We head for Zorc castle!”
 
Zorc. The name is familiar.
 
Seto says he has not heard any name like that in his research. Still…
 
They entered an area where monsters could appear. The encounter rate was 30%. Bakura rolled two ten-sided dice, one for the tens and one for the ones. He got a 12, under thirty, so a monster appeared.
 
`Joey the Warrior' went first. He got a roll of 13 which killed the Level 3 Goblin in one hit, since he needed 40 or less.
 
The closer to 0 the better, but if you rolled 99 that was a fumble and you got a penalty.
 
Penalty…
 
Yes.
 
This really doesn't seem like the Bakura from yesterday.
 
I know.
 
What does Seto think?
 
That he's glad he left Mokuba home. He doesn't want to back down, however.
 
Inwardly, Bakura the thief gloated to his host. They still haven't figured out the truth about this game. And I am the Master! I have the right to hand down any kind of punishment to the players! I'll seal them into this game for eternity! And then you can have your friends and Yugi's Millennium Puzzle and whatever Item this Seto has will be mine! I've master the Ring's power, soon I will master the Puzzle's unknown power!
 
The real Bakura kept struggling.
 
“All right! Let's keep moving!” They headed towards Zorc Castle!
 
Suddenly there was a figure lying on the ground in front of them. It was someone passed out. Bakura asked them what they wanted to do and Joey prodded the figure with his sword.
 
He looked sort of like a Bakura wrapped in a turban and heavy robes. A monster had stolen the holy sword that was the only thing that could defeat Zorc from him when he had been on the way to take it to the Village's hero! He begged them to get back the treasure from the forest. Bakura asked them, “Do you respond to the young man's request?”
 
Anzu reminded them a villager had told them to stay out of the forest.
 
Jou said it was treasure.
 
Yugi wondered if this was too easy. The Dark Master put that character there. He could be an ally or an enemy!
 
Joey said to take them to the forest.
 
The enemy encounter roll was 05! They had to fight five monsters!
 
Jou rolled only an 82, so Joey stumbled and fell. Honda the magic gunman got a 12 and killed a monster.
 
Yugi got a 25 and tamed a monster so it joined their side with the touch of his magic hands. An ally! Yay! I knew I picked the right class!
 
The monster says he will always be there for you. Yami smiled.
 
Anzu the Magician got a 00! Crictical! She killed the remaining three monsters. Seth sighed.
 
“Don't worry, man, we'll leave some for you next time,” Jou promised.
 
Behind the adventurers, the man they had found laughed. “So you are the four heroes who would defy me. You fell for my trap and entered the Forest of the Dead. This will be your grave!”
 
They whirled. “Who in the world are you?”
 
“What's this?” Bakura smiled slightly. “The young man's form changes and grows before your eyes!” A monstrous figure loomed. “The Dark Master Zorc!”
 
The inner Bakura squinted. Why was he seeing double? It looked like there was another darkness wrapped around the thief.
 
The two darknesses were swirling around him. It looked like they were fighting each other!
 
Everyone stared at the revealed Zorc, who said there was no sword that could defeat him! Since he had surprised them, he got to attack first. 00! Super critical hit! “Mind doll!'
 
Anzu suddenly slumped over.
 
One down! The thief gloated. Her soul is in the miniature. With my godlike game mastering techniques, I can roll criticals whenever I want! You're next, Yugi!
 
She was out cold! “Bakura!” Yugi confronted him. “What did you do to Anzu?”
 
“What did I do? I'm the game master. I just followed the rules to keep the game going. But just to let you know, the game you're playing right now is the ultimate in role-playing games!”
 
They all stared.
 
“I told you, didn't I? In role-playing games, you have to become the characters!”
 
“Er, huh? Where am I?” Anzu looked around. She looked up. Then down at her figurine body. “Yeeek!”
 
“Anzu, are you okay?” Yugi asked her. Yami!
 
It's the game, I can't go against the game! Don't worry, there will be a way to bring her back.
 
Bakura explained that if Zorc rolled a 00 or the player fumbled with a 99, “The player's soul will be sealed into their figurine by the shadow power! The power of darkness! The only way to retrieve her soul is to defeat the Dark Master Zorc!”
 
Jou swore, “I'm going to do it! Die, Zorc!” He rolled a 99.
 
“Ahem. It wasn't your turn to attack. Not only was your roll the worst possible, but so is your gaming etiquette, Jounouchi. To roll without the master's permission is to break the rules of the game!”
 
Oh no!
 
“Prepare yourself!” Bakura pointed at him and Jou fell over.
 
“Bakura!” Yugi yelled. His friends!
 
Honda growled but Seth remained calm.
 
“Think before you act, Yugi. If the other three of you become minatures, there'll be no one left to roll the dice! If that happens, then the game is automatically over! You five players will be trapped in this world forever. Until the next tiem I use you in a game!” Bakura laughed.
 
“There's no choice! We have to fight!” Anzu told Yugi.
 
“Yugi! Roll the die in our place!” Jou requested.
 
“Very good, continue the game! The magic gunman can attack Zorc on the next turn!” But he might be frozen in fear by Zorc's aura.
 
Honda was insulted by the very idea of this. But he rolled a 94!
 
Zorc got to go next! Bakura rolled another 00 and trapped Honda.
 
“Finally, my turn.” Seth rolled a 07 and his elven diabolist summoned a demon dragon. “Attack!”
 
The dragon blasted Zorc, which moaned.
 
“Yay!” The others cheered.
 
Unfortunately, the dragon disappeared when the attack was over.
 
“My turn now! 00 critical!” Again?
 
Kaiba slumped to the table.
 
Seth spun his new wand, saying nothing.
 
What about Seto?
 
He's still in the body. I vote we keep that fact in reserve.
 
Wise.
 
Bakura grinned. “My mistake, the gunman gets a second chance.”
 
“Before that, Bakura! Transfer my soul to the miniature too!”
 
“Wha… what? What did you just say? You want to become a minature?!” Bakura was shocked.
 
“Yugi, what are you doing!” Jou cried.
 
“I'll fight together with my friends on the board! If they're putting their lives on the line, then so will I!”
 
“Yugi!”
 
“Yugi… it would be easy to grant that wish,” Bakura said seriously. “But if you, the last player, became a miniature, who will throw the dice?”
 
You!
 
And Seto, he has figures for neither of us. Yami smiled. It will be interesting to see his expression when he realizes he has not won after all.
 
Inwardly, Bakura the theif was cackling. That mortal fool! This is the one who solved the Puzzle? I can't believe it!
 
Friends… the real Bakura renewed his struggles, the thief ignoring him.
 
“Ah, well. The Game Master is supposed to be of service to the players… Very Well! I'll do as you say!” Bakura pointed at Yugi. “With this, it's game over!”
 
Yugi found himself in a miniature. This is sorta cool! Actually being a piece instead of a player… this will help me understand the monsters better!
 
Bakura laughed. “All the players have been turned into lead figures! This is a perfect victory for me, the Game Master…” What? Yugi wasn't slumped over!
 
He was looking at him with contemptuous amusement. And Kaiba was getting up as well, glaring.
 
“We were in the middle of a battle, weren't we? I'm rolling! The magic gunman draws a bead on Zorc!” He rolled. “03! I hit!”
 
“Thunder grenade!” Hiroto fired.
 
Zorc's arm was blown clean off! “Graahh!”
 
“You got him!” Joey cheered.
 
“I told you, horn face… with my friends helping me out, who'd be afraid?” Honda blew the smoke off his gun.
 
Another.. Yugi? And Kaiba!
 
“Don't worry, guys!” Yami said proudly. “Your lives are in my hands. And starting now, so is Zorc's!”
 
“Go Yami!” They cheered him.
 
“Yami?” Bakura wondered.
 
Seth nodded to Seto. “You'll roll for me?”
 
“Of course.” Seto smiled that old predatory smile at Bakura. “You're my piece, and I don't like to lose. We'll show you who are the superior gamers, Yugi, Yami.”
 
Seth smiled back at Seto. “Yes, we will.” Seth did a few passes with his wand.
 
“No way! Yugi's the best,” Joey said firmly.
 
“Not for long.” Seto shook the dice in his hands, eyes considering.
 
“Anyway, this was nice shooting, Tex!” Joey congratulated Honda. He'd blasted off Zorc's left hand.
 
Yugi? No, that's not Yugi! He's not the same person! It's another Yugi! Or… is he a spirit? Are they both spirits? They seem… they make my fists itch. Bakura bared his teeth. I hate them. Are these the ones?
 
Are these the ones who profited from Kul Elna's destruction? He glared at them. The spirit of the Millennium Puzzle is my opposite number. He is my opponent here!