Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ Do You Dream of Me? ❯ Chapter 57

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

Disclaimer: I don't own Yu-gi-oh.
 
This gift-chapter is for the 1111th reviewer, Spirit of the Moon, who requested Yami being a klutz but cheered up by Yugi.
 
Guess what? You're getting two chapters of DYDOM this week! Well, technically, one chapter of DYDOM and one chapter of DYDOM: Duelist. Angel's Nocturne has decided to write a sequel to DYDOM covering the Duelist Kingdom manga! I've checked out a draft of the first chapter and I think you'll like it. Go over there and tell her what you think as soon as you read and review this!
 
There will still be more of `early' DYDOM, though. Next week expect a B/R chapter, requested by Angel's Requiem so she would know how to portray their relationship, and I'm hoping to award yet another kiriban soon! So please review!
 
-
 
Yami carefully packed the lunch. Yugi insisted he didn't have to do things like that, but Yami knew that people did this for people they loved. It was nice to watch Yugi enjoy it in the middle of a hard day at school. He picked it up to put it in Yugi's backpack and-
 
“Good Morning, Yami!”
 
The sound startled Yami.
 
He dropped the lunch.
 
Rice and other treats went everywhere. “Oh no!”
 
“I'm sorry, Yami.” Yugi looked crestfallen.
 
“It is alright,” Yami assured him. “I will make you another.”
 
Yugi looked at the clock. “I can just buy one, Yami. Don't worry.” He smiled.
 
But Yami wanted him to have a handmade lunch. He also looked at the clock. It took him a while to prepare them, that was why he had created his own body before Yugi woke up. Grandfather had helped him the first few times but now he did it on his own, even though he was far from expert at it. The skills he had from his previous life did not include Japanese cuisine. If he was a Pharaoh he doubted he had known how to cook at all, in fact, and Yugi's memories weren't much help: his mother had tried to teach him in order to bond with him a few times but she was home so rarely she didn't have time to teach a lot, even if Yugi had been an apt or enthusiastic student.
 
Grandfather said Yugi burned water. Yami didn't think it was possible for a game master such as Yugi to be horrible at anything. Surely with practice he could become an excellent chef if he so desired. If a game was made out of it, like the Iron Chef show on television…
 
But Yugi had no need to learn to cook, Yami would do it for him.
 
Unless they failed against this Zorc and Yami was taken away… perhaps he should teach Yugi to cook.
 
No, they would not fail.
 
“It is no burden, Yugi, you know I like to do things for you. I shall stay here and bring it to you at school.”
 
Yugi tried to hide a frown. That wasn't it. He liked the lunches, but he hated waking up without Yami in his mind. That was why he had started getting ready for school so quickly, so he could come downstairs and see Yami. He could feel him through their link still, but it wasn't the same. He wished he hadn't startled Yami and spoiled the lunch. If he hadn't Yami would be smiling at him, giving him the lunch, and returning to Yugi's body.
 
It was great Yami was now strong enough to have a body without the puzzle, he loved cuddling with him (and more, when Grandpa wasn't home), but he missed always having Yami.
 
“Bring it to me at school?” Yugi asked.
 
“Yes, I could change my form,” Yami grew taller, hair now all black and without the spikes, “and sit with you and your friends.”
 
“That's a great idea! But how will you get to school?” Yugi smiled.
 
“I can take the bus like you do, I know how.”
 
Yami doing something independently was a great idea. Yugi had taken him on a tour of the city before, but in Yugi's body. It was a good thing for Yami to prove he could function independently in the modern world, right? For him to not be completely dependant on Yugi, right?
 
Yugi hugged him. “It'll be great! You can sit with me and my friends at lunch.” The whole morning without Yami…
 
Yami smiled, stroking Yugi's hair. “Perhaps one day I could meddle with school records and go to classes with you, if you wish.”
 
“Then you'd have to suffer too.” Yugi shook his head.
 
“It would not be suffering, to do it with you.” Yami nuzzled him.
 
“Could you change back?” Yugi said, pulling back. He didn't like Yami looking less like him.
 
“Yes.” Yami returned to his `true form.' “It is simple. Would you like to learn it?”
 
“We could go around and pretend to be twins!” Only twins didn't do the things they did. He looked so much like Yami… Seth looked like Seto. Was it because they didn't remember their original bodies and mimicked their hosts, or something more? Fate? Destiny? Yugi laughed it off. Then he looked at the clock. “I have to go. Make sure to talk to me though, okay?”
 
“In class? I don't want to distract you, Yugi.” Yami frowned.
 
“Oh, don't worry. Talking to you helps me keep awake.” Yugi shrugged and hugged Yami again.
 
“I will then, Ma-Yugi.”
 
“Great.” Yugi ignored Yami's slip of the tongue. He knew that Yami… well, you didn't recover from centuries of torture overnight. Like Seto, Yami had issues. Yugi had managed to finally get Yami to call him Yugi, but he didn't object to slips of the tongue.
 
Only that they revealed something of Yami's private thoughts about Yugi.
 
Master of Yami, Master of all that incredible power… Yami was his, his, his.
 
He loved that. “I'll see you at lunch!” Yugi said, running out the door.
 
Yami smiled after him. After all that had passed, with knowledge of the dangers yet to come, Yugi was still such a bright, happy soul. Yami swore to keep it that way.
 
He began to prepare another lunch.
 
But he had used the last of one of Yugi's favorite foods, so he had to cook another, and make more riceballs, and other things. The box had even developed a crack, so he had to find another and he had no idea where the spares were kept. It took him a long time and he had to get the stepladder to look in the highest cabinets, where he finally found the spare boxes.
 
Yugi's Mother was worthy of honor for her son, but putting things up so high in a house where all but her were not able to reach them easily? What if Sugoroku fell off the ladder? He was an old man.
 
Just as he thought that, the ladder shifted under Yami and he fell.
 
Yami? Instantly, sensing his pain, Yugi's concerned voice was in his head. What's wrong? I felt something!
 
It is fine, Yugi. It is not the Puzzle. Yami felt Yugi's relief. I have healed myself. He inspected the stepladder. It was a metal folding one, old and rusted. One of the bars had slipped free of the bolt that should have held it in place. The stepladder broke. It was a good thing he was the one to fall victim to it and not Yugi or his grandfather.
 
You're sure you're okay?
 
Of course I am fine. I only fell a couple feet, Yugi. And he'd used magic to slow his fall.
 
If you're sure. Yugi withdrew as Yami stood up.
 
This time he used magic to get the box down.
 
He finished packing everything up soon without any further mishaps. He put the box in a bag, changed his form, and went outside.
 
He squinted up at the bright sun. Light, it reminded him of Yugi. Breezes… it was very different being in this body from Yugi's body. There, he was always distracted by Yugi's presence, the pleasures of the flesh outweighed by the pleasures of Yugi's soul.
 
Even when he'd taken his own body before Yugi had always been near, or he had been focused on Yugi… the breeze ruffled his hair, the sun shone down, colors were so beautiful…
 
Slam!
 
Someone knocked into him and Yami fell down.
 
It was a woman carrying grocery bags. He checked Yugi's memory, this was one of his neighbors. “I'm so sorry,” she said hurriedly. “I didn't see you over the bags.” She had been carrying large bags, coming from a grocery store. Produce was strewn all over the sidewalk. “Oh no,” she sighed, dismayed.
 
“I shouldn't have been standing in the middle of the sidewalk,” he assured her, and started gathering up the food. Three mishaps in one day.
 
Even master gamers had their share of bad luck, but these mishaps were keeping him from his duty to Yugi.
 
He helped her pick up all the food and made his way to the bus stop.
 
He waited ten minutes for the bus and when it arrived realized he hadn't brought money for it. He also hadn't brought the money for Yugi to get burgers after school. So he walked back to the house and realized he didn't have a key.
 
He went to the side door, checked to make sure no one was looking, and phased through it. He still had plenty of time until Yugi's lunch, but yet another mess-up was depressing.
 
He got the money and went back to the bus stop.
 
He saw the bus drive away just as he got there. He sighed and sat down to wait.
 
Just as he paid and got on the next bus he heard Yugi again. Yami? Are you at school yet?
 
No, I'm sorry. I was delayed. I'm on the bus now.
 
What happened?
 
A neighbor dropped her groceries because of me and I helped her, and then I found I had forgotten the money for the bus and your burgers after school.
 
Oh. Yugi gave him a mental hug. What's it like being out in the big world without me there?
 
It is… I wish you were here, I seem to have bad luck without you.
 
I'm the one who made you spill the lunch this morning, Yami.
 
I should have felt you coming down the stairs.
 
I was trying to hide my aura. You said it could be a problem if enemies sensed it?
 
Even so, you are my lover and light. I should have been alert for you and felt your presence no matter how you hid it. Yami sighed, closing his eyes and relaxing into Yugi's presence.
 
Yugi's soul curled around his and he saw Yugi smiling in class. When you get here, could you go outside the window where I can see you and wave?
 
Yami smiled, glad Yugi wanted to see him in the flesh as soon as possible. Yes. It will be good to see you too.
 
They cuddled in their soul rooms until Yami felt a tap on his shoulder. I must go.
 
See you soon! Yugi sent love after him.
 
“Early morning?” The woman said.
 
“What?” Yami blinked.
 
“I think the next stop is your school, judging from your uniform. You seemed to be dozed off so I thought I had better wake you.”
 
She was right. “Thank you very much.” He bowed slightly and stood, heading for the door. He had almost `slept' through the stop! If he had gone too far before waking up he would have had to spend some of Yugi's burger money to get on a bus headed back the other way!
 
He truly was out of practice with the real world, wasn't he?
 
What's wrong, Yami? Yugi asked, feeling him better now they were so close.
 
As Yami got off the bus he replied. I almost missed the stop because I was feeling you instead of being alert as I ought.
 
I'm sorry!
 
It was not your fault. I simply missed you and did not think. It was my error, Yugi. He walked through the school gates and stood where Yugi could see him.
 
Yugi waited until the teacher wasn't looking at him and waved, smiling broadly. It's been ages since you've been alive. Of course you're messing up. But you got here safe and sound. I'm proud of you. And you did it all for me.
 
Yami felt Yugi's love and smiled. It is all for you. You are everything to me. But I will get better, for your sake. I will master this game of life.
 
Of course you will. Come here? You can put my lunch in my locker and join me. I want to cuddle. I miss you when you're not in my mind. I can't concentrate on school.
 
Yes, Ma-Yugi. Yami gladly hurried to obey.