Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ Heart of the Cards, Guide Me ❯ Prologue

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
Just the usual. I do not own Yu-Gi-Oh. I do own Sakura and Meritaten.

Just a little info on Meritaten. For those of you who know thier history, Meritaten is the daughter of Akhenaten and Nefertiti. She is, therefore, the sister of King Tutankhamun. In this story, though, Meritaten is not Nefertiti's daughter, I just needed a good Egyptian name.

Prologue (set in ancient Egypt)

As she placed a card on the table and finished her turn, Meritaten smiled at the boy sitting across from her. "Let's see you beat that!"
The young man sitting across the table from her nodded. "Hmm. That's a pretty good move. But," he placed a card on the table in front of them. "Not good enough. I believe I just took all your life points." Now he was the one smiling as the girl looked shocked.
"Wow. That was good. But I expected no less," she said. She put her hand on the table. On her smallest finger, there was a small ring with a snake on it. The boy took her hand. They leaned over the small table and kissed.
Just then a guard ran into the room and they broke apart. "Pharaoh, the enemy has just broken into the palace!" The guard was very distressed.
The boy Pharaoh was outraged. "What!?" He and the guard ran out of the room. Meritaten was left there. She thought she should help fight. She knew any ordinary girl would be killed in front of the Pharaoh himself for just contemplating that, but after all, she was the Pharaoh's only wife and she carried his only child. But just for that reason she decided not to.
Instead she ran for the servant's wing. The enemy would never go there, she knew; they would only want to enslave the servants. So she started running there.
She saw the armored man in the enemy's colors too late. She was just rounding the bend to the hall that would lead her right to where she wanted to go when a sharp knife drove right through her heart. She barely had time to gasp before she fell to the floor, dead.
When the enemy was defeated, the Pharaoh went looking for his wife. He, too, knew she would have fled to the servant's wing. Just before rounding a corner he saw old blood on the floor. He turned the corner and gasped. "No!" He saw Meritaten on the floor with the puncture in her heart, her red hair spread around her head and her green eyes closed. If it wasn't for the blood, she could have been asleep.
The Pharaoh knelt by her, put her head in his lap, and rocked back and forth while calling her name. He wept fiercely. Then he took the ring off her finger and whispered something. Then, with her soul in the ring, he put it on a chain so it hung by his heart.
Years after the ring guided the Pharaoh as he locked six evil spirits in what were later called Millennium Items, then he sealed himself in one. The seven items and the serpent ring weren't found until thousands of years later...