Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ Heart of the Dragon Master ❯ Chapter One: The Boy With Two Personas ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: Yugi-Oh! is owned by its creator, Kazuki Takahashi and it's respective anime companies. I'm borrowing the characters and ideas for a nonprofit fan fiction written solely for the enjoyment of myself, and hopefully others.

Author's Notes: Usually, when I work with a new fan fiction property I start with a crossover. However, this story won't get out of my head. This may be slightly AU if you will, taking place after Yugi defeated Pegasus and freed the Brothers Kaiba. I've never written a Yugi-Oh! story before, but I am a capable fan fiction writer.

To Nate Grey, who got me watching the show in the first place.

Heart of the Dragon Master

Chapter One: The Boy With Two Personas

By: Elf

He really didn't know why he was there or why he had wandered to the tiny comic and card shop. He was there though, and alone, but he was use to being alone. Child prodigy, master duelist, and reincarnated dark duelist, being alone was part of his life.

Except for his younger brother, but little Mokuba was at a friend's house spending the night, doing things that normal little boys do.

Seto Kaiba smirked at the irony as he looked at the tiny Duel Monster's shop. He knew that Grandpa Moto would soon be closing up the shop and that he and Yugi would be sitting down for dinner. Kaiba briefly wondered what it was to be loved like that, a love so strong that you would do anything for that person. He loved Mokuba, but he was afraid to express it, yet Mokuba adored him.

Possessed by forces unknown, he walked into the tiny shop. It was stacked wall to wall with different cards, games, and a few mangas. It seemed so homey, at odds with Kaiba's overly-organized office. The door shut behind him and the tiny bell clanged.

He felt odd standing there, very out of place, but he reasoned that it was better than being at the lonely Kaiba mansion with only servants as company. He stuffed his hands into his pockets and inhaled the scent of old paper and what smelled like curry cooking upstairs. He browsed at the various cards and felt a bit of guilt at tearing Moto's Blue Eyes White Dragon, but he would do it again if he had to.

He had been wrong all of his life. Yes, there was power to be had, but he was going at it the wrong way. Emotions were power as was friendship and love. And little Yugi Moto had taught him about the Heart of the Cards.

"Kaiba?"

He turned around and smiled briefly at the elfin Yugi. Yugi was still tiny as ever, dressed in his traditional black leather, and he still had the Millennium Puzzle hanging down his neck. The same Puzzle that held the spirit of the Dark King, Yami. The same spirit that had beat him and almost killed him if Yugi hadn't taken over his body again.

"Hello Yugi," he replied.

Yugi smiled and asked, ever cheerful, "Do you need anything Kaiba?"

"Just stopping by," he answered with a shrug, suddenly unsure of himself.

Yugi blew strands of his blond hair from his eyes. Kaiba suddenly wondered if the blond was the real color or the black. Huge, purple eyes looked up at him and Yugi said, "You seemed lonely."

"I'm fine," Kaiba lied frostily as he started to head out of the shop.

Yugi said, "You can stay over for dinner, if you like."

Kaiba turned around and asked, "Will your grandfather mind?"

"Nope, and besides, all my friends are gone too," Yugi answered in his pleasant, cheerful voice.

Kaiba turned around. Yugi's friends were always with him. They were like a part of his person. Tea was the heart of the group, Tristan was support, and Wheeler was the loyal side kick.

Yugi must have noticed the puzzlement on his face as he explained, "Tristan's with Joey. Joey's sister is coming out of surgery tonight and Tristan wanted to be there with Joey for support. Tea's with Bakura." His purple eyes narrowed at that and Kaiba saw a flash of Yami for a second before Yugi shrugged, "So it's just me and Grandpa tonight."

Kaiba's cell phone rang. Yugi walked over to the door as Kaiba answered it. "Kaiba," he answered sharply as Yugi hung the Closed sign over the door.

"Mr. Kaiba, the Capsule Corp. wishes to know about the joint project," the voice of Rei, his secretary, replied.

Kaiba clutched the phone in his hand and looked at a smiling Yugi. A night of food and dueling sounded much more appealing than working on yet another project and getting little sleep and being alone. He smirked and answered, "Tell them to call me back tomorrow. I have other business to attend to tonight." With that, he turned his phone off and placed it in his brief case.

Yugi headed up the stairs and said, "Come on up, Kaiba."

Kaiba followed the elfin boy to a loft above the shop. There was a TV, sofa, plenty of cushions spread around the sofa, a tiny kitchen, and three other doors that lead to what Kaiba presumed to be the bedrooms and a bathroom. Yugi looked a little nervous as he said, "It's not much, but it's home."

Kaiba looked around, curious despite himself. It was tiny and cluttered, but seemed welcoming. He put his suitcase down and peered around the small loft. It smelled richly of curry and the TV was playing the latest mech anime. He watched it for a moment and said, "Mokuba watches this show."

Yugi laughed and said, "Yeah, well, Joey got me watching it and I can't stop."

"Yugi, who do you have with you?" Grandpa Moto asked as the dwarf like man emerged from the kitchen wearing a white apron that he was wiping his hands on. Purple eyes just like Yugi's narrowed as he looked Kaiba over.

Kaiba wasn't use to apologizing. He didn't like doing it; it was too much of a submission of will. He didn't like to submit: he'd rather dominate. Grandpa walked over to Kaiba and looked him over. Kaiba met the smaller man's eyes and didn't let go.

Ever since encountering Yugi and Yami and having his soul stripped from his body and placed in a realm of darkness, Kaiba's perspectives had changed radically. Still, he was Seto Kaiba, except not as corrupt and more humane, but he wasn't going to open up as easily as Yugi did. It wasn't in his being to do that and he knew that the world didn't work that way.

He gave a polite bow and said, "Yugi invited me for dinner."

Grandpa met his grandson's eyes and Yugi grinned and shrugged. Grandpa said, "Well, don't just stand there, food's ready." With that, he headed back to the kitchen.

Yugi looked up at Kaiba and said, "I guess you passed."

"Indeed," Kaiba replied as he followed the happy family to dinner.

******

Somehow, during his second helping of curry, Yugi had managed to convince Kaiba to spend the night. After all, Mokuba was at one of his friend's house, tomorrow wasn't a school day, and it must be lonely all by yourself at that huge, sterile mansion. So, before he knew it, Seto Kaiba was doing a normal teenage activity: a sleep over.

Yugi's room had a giant wall scroll of the Dark Magician hanging over his bed. The room was neat but filled with various puzzles and games. Also he had the most impressive punk rock collection that Kaiba had ever seen. Within minutes, Yugi had set up a pallet and an American band called Weezer was playing on Yugi's CD player.[1]

Kaiba made a mental note to get Yugi a state of the art sound system. Yugi also had a few cushions as well as a board on the floor. The room was a normal teenage boy's room, if the boy was a Duel Monster's fanatic. Kaiba looked around and set down his briefcase. He compared it to his massive bedroom with the four poster king size bed and the huge French Windows and realized that his bedroom seemed lifeless and cold.

Just like he was.

Yugi studied him with those keen purple eyes and asked, "Something wrong, Seto?"

"Kaiba," he automatically corrected, "And no, nothing's wrong, Yugi."

Yugi sank into one of the cushions and grabbed his small feet, looking like he should be a Duel Monster card himself. For some reason, he reminded Kaiba of Mokuba, and himself. Except Yugi had grown in an environment of love and caring while he had been abused.

He pushed those thoughts aside as he sat down as well. Yugi asked, "Why don't you let anyone call you Seto?"

"It doesn't fit me. Why did you ask me here?" Kaiba replied as he rested his head on his knees and studied the boy known as Yugi Moto, the boy who had bested him.

Yugi smiled as he pulled off the Puzzle and set it on his night stand. Kaiba frowned and wondered why he did that. Yugi never parted with that Puzzle. He had stood at the gates of a literal Hell for that Puzzle.

Yugi cheerfully answered, "You seemed lonely. Like you could use a friend."

"I don't need your pity, Yugi," Kaiba replied tensely. It seemed that almost everything Yugi did was out of pity or the sheer goodness of his heart. Kaiba knew it wasn't in human nature to be like that, but then, Yugi didn't seem real. He was too nice, too pure, too golden.

Yugi frowned, looking affronted and saddened as he answered, "I'm not pitting you, Kaiba."

"Of course not, you're just being yourself," Kaiba found himself saying with a bitter laugh.

Yugi's eyes widened, but he pulled out his deck and shuffled it. "Actually, I wanted to Duel you. No Yami."

Kaiba's eyes widened as Yugi played with his cards. Kaiba asked, "So that's why you took off your Puzzle?"

"Yeah. I wanted to Duel you, not Yami," Yugi said with an impish grin, "So, you game, Kaiba?"

It had been at least a good month since he had dueled with Mokuba. He had let his little brother win, of course, but he missed it. He missed the challenge and the power of it. And Yugi was the only other Duelist worth Dueling. He drew his cards out of his briefcase and shuffled them with a grin he hadn't worn in ages.

"I'm game, Yugi," he replied darkly as he set himself at the table. It felt strange, dueling without technology.

Yugi sheepishly said, "Sorry, it's not what you're use to . . ."

Kaiba ignored the apology and placed his deck on the table. He said, "You go first, Yugi."

Yugi grinned as he drew his hand. Kaiba did the same as he studied his hand. There was Sagi, the Dark Clown, the Virus Crush card, Rude Kaiser, Polymerization, and he almost smiled when he saw Blue-Eyes at his first draw.

Yugi placed Beaver Warrior in defense mode as his first play.

Kaiba put Rude Kaiser in attack mode and the game started.

It lasted for hours at almost a stalemate. His eyes were starting to droop and Yugi's head kept sinking down before he'd snap back up. Still, he wasn't about to call the game over while he had a hundred more life points than Yugi did. Plus, he hadn't played the Blue-Eyes Ultimate Dragon yet and Yugi hadn't played the Dark Magician yet either.

He still had two Blue-Eyes and the Polymerization card in his hand. He just needed the last Blue-Eyes and he could have the game and they both could sleep. He admitted that he was enjoying this though and admitted that he needed this break.

Besides, Yugi on his own was almost as good as the Shadow King. He was clever and thought on his feet. He also drew the right card whenever he needed it. Yugi stiffed a yawn with his cards and Kaiba knew he wasn't going to give up either.

He chuckled when the third Blue-Eyes appeared in his hand. He laid the three dragons and the spell on the table and said, "I summon the Blue-Eyes Ultimate Dragon."

Yugi's purple eyes sparkled and suddenly he was wide awake. He studied his Celtic Guardian and Gaia, the Fierce Knight. Then, he laid down the Swords of Revealing Light. "This freezes you for three turns, Kaiba," Yugi said with a grin.

Kaiba grinned and asked, "What do you have planned, Yugi?"

"I haven't been sharing a body this long with Yami and haven't picked up a few tricks. First, I'm sacrificing the Celtic Guardian and Gaia for the Black Luster Ritual," Yugi replied as he put both decks in the grave yard and put the Black Luster card down, "Therefore, bringing out the Black Luster Knight. Your turn."

Kaiba picked up a card and frowned. He was going to lose this match. He knew it now. Still, he wasn't about to surrender. Yugi would be offended if he did.

He said, "Your turn."

Yugi attacked and Kaiba put down his own Swords of Revealing light down, freezing the Knight. Kaiba told him, "This game isn't over yet, Yugi."

They played until dawn, until they both fell asleep on the cards.

Neither won, it was a stalemate and they had used all of their cards.

******

"Breakfast is ready!" Grandpa Moto's voice joyously called out.

Kaiba groaned and moved just enough so he fell on the cushions so he wouldn't be sprawled on the table anymore. He rolled over and tried to fall back to sleep. He'd been having a wonderful dream. He was dreaming that he was just a normal teenage guy, his parents were still alive, and he was part of Yugi's group, except it was Seto and Yugi's group, not just Yugi's.

"Wake up!" Grandpa shouted as there was a loud snapping crash on the table.

Kaiba's eyes flew open and he reached for the first weapon he could find, which happened to be a Rubix Cube. He crouched and looked up. He dropped the Cube as Yugi was blinking sleep from his eyes.

Grandpa Moto had a careworn bokken in his hand and was looking at both boys. Yugi groaned, "Grandpa, why do you always have to do that?"

"You two would still be asleep and drooling on your cards if I didn't. Breakfast is ready," Grandpa snorted as he headed out of the room.

Drooling on my cards, Kaiba thought in alarm as he jumped over to the table. He carefully lifted his three Blue-Eyes. The rest were replaceable, but not his beloved Blue-Eyes. He sighed as he noticed that his cards were clean and just as they had left them last night.

Yugi was doing the same and cried out in alarm as he held up a damp Karibo. Kaiba looked over at Yugi's horrified expression as he held up the damp creature. "My Karibo!" he cried in horror as he tried to wipe the drool off of it.

Kaiba let the bubble of laughter that was fighting to get free lose. He threw back his head and laughed. Not at the ruined card, but at Yugi's horror. It wasn't cruel. It was just the elfin boy looked so horrible that it was amusing.

Yugi glared at Kaiba for a moment before he started to laugh himself. He managed, "Better check your cards, Kaiba."

"I already did. I wouldn't drool on my own deck," he replied, laughing as he reached out and took the tiny creature card from Yugi's hand. The plastic coating had saved the card from what little saliva had spilled on it.

"I still can't believe that you actually have this card in your deck," Kaiba stated as he handed it back to Yugi.

Yugi grinned mischievously, "It's good for Tributes and I almost beat you with it."

"That you did," Kaiba replied with a smirk, remembering Yami standing behind the ever growing wall of Karibos against the Blue-Eyes Ultimate Dragon. He frowned at the memory and what he had almost done. He had used Yugi's pure heart against him, knowing that Yugi wouldn't make the last move and send the Celtic Guardian to kill his Blue-Eyes because the explosion would have probably sent him off of that torrent. True, his martial arts training taught him to keep his balance and center of gravity low, but he knew that Yugi wouldn't take that risk.

Yugi said, "Sorry, I didn't mean to . . ."

Kaiba held up a hand to quiet him. He said, "You apologize too much, Moto."

"That's just how I am," Yugi replied quietly.

Kaiba said, "And that works for you. Still, don't apologize for that, or any of our matches. You're the only true challenge that I have."

"And same goes for you too, Kaiba. How long did we stay up last night anyway?" Yugi asked with a yawn.

Kaiba looked at his watch and swore, "Damn, I'll be late." That meeting with the CEO of Capsule Corps . . . The joint space project . . . Dammit!

"Go then, I'll tell Grandpa," Yugi replied with another yawn.

Kaiba grabbed his briefcase and placed his cards back into it. He strode over to the door and gave Yugi a brief smile. Despite the fact that he was dead tired, he hadn't let this good in a long time. He said, "Thank you, Yugi."

"Just make sure that you come back, okay, Set . . . I mean Kaiba," Yugi replied with one of his huge, sincere smiles.

Kaiba gripped his suit case and gave a small smile in return, "Thank you, Yugi." With that, he raced out of the apartment and store, already calling for his limo.

******

The Capsule Corp.'s joint project was a success. Seemingly getting his mind off of work and stress was exactly what he needed. Kaiba and Bulma Briefs [2] were interviewed on their grand project and hit headlines across the world. Kaiba Corp.'s stocks were through the roof and he was heading up a new virtual reality project with Capsule Corp. that would bring a new dimension to global mapping and location.

And he had been making frequent visits with Yugi.

Wheeler and Tristan were helping Wheeler's younger sister recover from her intensive eye surgery. Apparently, from what Yugi told him that Wheeler's sister was suffering from a degenerative eye disorder and the whole reason he went to the Duelist Kingdom was so he could win the prize money for the surgery. Yugi gave up the prize money, thus, Wheeler could pay for his sister's surgery.

Tea had been going out on dates with Bakura more and more. Kaiba sensed some jealousy there on Yugi's part, but never mentioned anything. Sometimes Yami would pop up when Yugi casually mentioned that Tea was with Bakura that night. That was the best indicator because Yami took over whenever Yugi felt threatened or upset.

Kaiba was learning that there was a huge difference between the two entities and secretly felt sorry for Yugi for putting up with the dark, arrogant King of Games. It was strange though, he'd be talking to Yugi about something, like Tea for example, and Yami would take over. He was getting to know Yami as a person as well and commended his shrewd skills and cunning.

Mokuba was with him today. Kaiba smiled down at his younger brother, who was begging to go to a Duel Monster's store and get the new Dark Magic starter set. Kaiba knew that the Turtle Shoppe would have the cards and would give him another excuse to Duel Yugi.

Mokuba asked, "Where are we going, Big Brother?"

"To see Yugi," Kaiba replied as they drove through the streets. Kaiba yearned for his sixteenth birthday so he could get his licence and drive himself. Even riding in a limo as push as his got boring after a short while.

Mokuba's violet-grey eyes lit up as he asked, "Really, Seto?"

Kaiba gave his younger brother a smile and affectionately tousled his long, raven locks. Little Mokuba often was teased for his feminine looks, but Kaiba wouldn't force him to cut his hair for all the world. Mokuba liked his hair long for whatever reason and Kaiba thought that he was the spitting image of his mother, lost so long ago.

He answered, "Yeah."

"So, that's where you've been going. No fair, Big Brother, going to see Yugi without me," Mokuba pouted and grabbed Kaiba's arm.

Kaiba laughed and it felt good. Yugi had become sort of an idol to Mokuba of late, defending him and Dueling for both of their souls. He hugged his younger brother and asked, "After we go to the shop what do you want to eat tonight?"

"Pizza," the young boy chirped, "With pineapples!"

Kaiba flinched at his younger brother's weird tastes. He'd eat Doritos at six in the morning while watching anime. He'd eat pickles and ice cream almost at the same time as he watched the latest Gundam series, but he'd only eat pickles while watching Gundam. Kaiba had no idea why Mokuba was like that. The little boy just was.

Kaiba replied, "We'll see."

"I want pineapple pizza," Mokuba argued.

Kaiba replied, "Maybe I want sausage and ham."

"You can have sausage and stuff and we can also get pineapples on it," Mokuba pleaded, "Please, Seto." The pleading and the huge violet-grey eyes were his undoing.

He smiled indulgently and stated, "We'll see."

The limo stopped at the shop and they climbed out. Mokuba took his hand and drug him into the store. The bell clanged behind them and Kaiba was about to greet Yugi when he noticed that Yugi's Group was there as well.

Joey Wheeler scowled at him. Kaiba met his brown eyes unflinching and was about to say an insult in greeting when Tristan said, "Hey Kaiba."

"Hello," Kaiba replied as he let Mokuba go to look around.

Tea smiled, her blue eyes flashing in her sweet face. He noticed that Yugi was staring at her, sort of lost and dazed. Kaiba admitted that Yugi had an eye for the female form and sweet, sassy brown haired Tea was perfect for him. "Hi Kaiba, hello Mokuba," she said in greeting.

"Hi Tea," Mokuba said with a wave as he looked at a manga display.

Then Tristan moved over and revealed someone that Kaiba had never seen before. She was small, delicate and had a head full of the longest, silkiest bright red hair that he'd ever seen. He was sure that he'd remember those huge green eyes, sweet smile, and that gamine face.

She smiled at him, letting her green eyes sparkle. He stood there, dumbfounded for a moment. "That's my sister, Serenity," Wheeler said sharply at him. He leaned over and hissed, "And don't get any bright ideas, Kaiba."

Kaiba glared at him for a moment and resisted the urge to commit violence on the American. It was a hard urge to quell, but he didn't want to have Mokuba see him kill someone for their sheer stupidity. They glared and Wheeler finally looked down.

Wheeler turned to Yugi and said, "Seren's been wanting to see Duel Monsters, so I brought her to the best Duel Monster store around."

Serenity's green eyes sparkled as she said, "I wanted to see what was responsible for me getting my eyesight back."

Kaiba noted that her voice matched her face: sweet, soft and kind. Yugi said, "Well, you can look around."

She gave a sweet giggle as she walked away. Kaiba watched her and wondered how Wheeler could have a sister like this. Then he felt a pang of guilt as he realized this girl's sight was what Joey Wheeler was Dueling for and he had almost prevented her from ever seeing again.

"So that's Serenity," Yugi said.

Wheeler nodded and replied, "Yeah, that's my sis."

"Man, I'm surprised that you never told me how pretty she was," Tristan said as he nudged Wheeler's ribs.

The blond grabbed the brunette in a head lock and snapped, "Well, you'd better back off buddy, that's my sister you're talking about here."

"Just kidding, Joey," Tristan cried as Wheeler let him go.

Tea looked at Kaiba and asked, "So, what are you doing here?"

Yugi, thankfully, answered for him, "He's been coming here after school and work."

"Why?" Wheeler asked suspiciously as he looked Kaiba over. Kaiba glared back and crossed his arms.

Yugi smiled and asked, "Why not, Joey?"

"Well, I still don't like him," Wheeler snapped as he glared at Kaiba.

Kaiba gave him a small, arrogant smirk that was usually used in the Dueling Field and replied coldly, "I didn't ask for your approval, Joey, nor do I wish it."

"Hey, you two, neither of you came to fight," Tea chided as she stepped between the two testosterone driven teens.

Wheeler smirked and replied, "I'd change my mind for him, Tea."

"Joey . . ." Yugi warned with a shake of his head.

Kaiba started to turn away. He was wrong. He didn't belong here. Wheeler's behavior was testimony to that. He swept away, his blue duster sweeping around him as he searched for his brother.

He frowned as he saw Grandpa Moto and Mokuba sitting together and looking at Duel Cards with Grandpa obviously giving the boy a lesson. He clinched his fists and stood by one of the glass cases. He brooded for a moment at how foolish he had been for the last few days, actually thinking that he could be part of a group and try to be normal.

Still, he couldn't leave, not with Grandpa giving Mokuba a lesson and not with the happy, eager look on Mokuba's face. They were both happy it seemed. Mokuba had never had a grand parent and Grandpa Moto was the epitome of everything a good grandfather should be. Kaiba would suffer for his own brother. His thoughts and feelings were nothing to Mokuba's happiness.

"The art on these cards are beautiful," Serenity breathed beside him.

Kaiba turned, startled at the girl. She smiled up at him and pushed strands of her fiery tresses behind her ears. She was kneeling by a display case that held some of the rarer cards and she was looking at the Mystical Elf. She pointed and said, "Look at this one, the artist drew her beautifully."

"It's a decent card too. It can transfer its attack and defense points onto another monster," Kaiba found himself explaining, not really knowing why. Maybe it was the way the harsh lights reflected on her hair or the way her green eyes sparkled as she looked up at him. Or maybe it was because she had that same purity that Yugi and Tea had.

She stood up and smoothed down her cream blouse. He couldn't help notice that she was slender where she needed to be slender and curved where she needed to be curved. She was a study in beauty he realized as she smiled brightly at him. He noticed that there was a tiny, jagged scar beside each of her eyes and he clutched the table with the realization that he had almost kept her from seeing.

She held out a small, delicate hand and said, "Hi, I'm Serenity."

Kaiba took her small hand and carefully shook it. He was almost afraid that he could break her. He had taken rigorous Akeido to make himself a physical match to anyone he would face. He knew how to shatter bones and dislocate joints and this knowledge frightened him as he held her hand.

"Seto Kaiba," he replied as he kept hold of her hand.

To Be Continued!

[1] Look at Yugi! He's got black and blond hair and wears leather. It'd be a crime if he didn't listen to punk rock, but I don't think Yug would listen to hard core stuff, probably the funny light stuff like Weezer, Sum 41, and Blink 182. Now, I'd peg Joey as a Metalica fan though. I'd don't know what Seto would like though, probably classical stuff or maybe Tool. He's angsty enough to get it.

[2]This is going to be sort of an injoke throught the series. Different anime companies are going to be mentioned, Capsule Corp being the first because I'm a huge DBZ fan and adore Vegeta, Trunks and Bulma.