Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ Love is Unexplainable ❯ Yugi's What ( Chapter 14 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Yami didn't come out of his room for days after the confrontation with Yugi at the hospital. He ignored his parents' pleas for him to come out as he rocked endlessly on his bed. He never picked up his phone the first few days until altogether he tore it out of the wall and threw it out the window. He refused to eat anything and the only thing he could was stare at the wall and wait for something - anything - to happen.

Somewhere in the deep recesses of his mind he knew Yugi wouldn't come to him and say that what he said at the hospital was wrong and that he wanted to be together again, but he knew it wouldn't happen. He should've known Yugi would've done something like that and he had betrayed his trust by not telling him at the first opportunity.

`I hadn't even tried to break it off with him when I went to him that night.' Yami thought tirelessly. `Was Yugi right…'

~~

"I am sorry, Yami. But I… I just can't be with somebody - love somebody - who is my own brother - twin brother."

"But… but technically you're not." Yami started hopefully. "We're not brother because… well you were… we can't be…"

Yugi shook his head slowly, cutting Yami into silence as he choked on his tears, unable to come up with anymore mumbling of different excuses of why they could still be together. "It doesn't change anything, Yami. We were born on the same day - from the same mother. Didn't you ever think it strange when all those times we liked or acted the same way about something, even that our birthdays fell on the same day?"

"We were in love! Lots of people do that when they're in love!"

"But not everyone."

"Well, yeah… but…"

"There's not `buts' about it, Yami!" Yugi interrupted harshly. "There isn't anything we have to argue over. For gods sake, Yami, we almost had sex!"

"Made love."

"It's sex all the same, whatever you call it's still sex!" Yugi paused for a breath before he finished in a voice that wasn't raised by hurt a lot worse than if it hadn't. "You lied to me though. You would've actually gone through with it."

Yami froze and looked away. "Well… I…"

"You might've been - still might be - okay with something like that, Yami, because you refuse to see what others due. I'm not okay with going out with you, especially now that I know it's my own brother that I'm dating; it's just wrong!"

~~

`Was I really going to try hiding it for as long as I could? To keep Yugi by my side for always was I really going to go through such lengths as telling him we weren't brothers?'

Yami looked up wearily and glanced around his room, tears streaming silently down his pale and sunken face. It seemed like everything in his room reminded him of Yugi and his smiling face. His cheerful face and bright amethyst eyes were burned in the back of his mind no matter how hard he tried hide or ride himself of the pain.

His door opened, but Yami didn't even bother looking up as a shadow cast over his already cold form.

"You look like shit," Seru's voice told him.

Yami looked up, startled and surprised to see the once worst school bully around visiting him like a friend would.

His crimson eyes widened in fear though as suddenly an image of Yugi in a bloody heap and sprawled unconscious on the ground. "You're… you aren't going to hurt him are you," he choked out through his dry throat.

Seru sighed and showed him a glass of water. "Drink this, you need it."

Yami stared at the glass but found it wasn't going anywhere unless he drank it. He nodded his thanks and took it, taking a small sip before looking back up at Seru; he seemed satisfied for the moment.

The once bully sat down and shook his head. "Nah, I'm grown attached to the little bugger. Everyone at school is worried about you though."

Hope started to shine in Yami's eyes, but Seru quickly diminished it with a small shake of his head. "Sorry, Jikiro; I know it hurts a lot right now. But he's made it real clear to everybody that he's not going to come back to you like you want him to; just as a friend and a brother. I'm not going to say I know what you're going through, but I wish I could understand so I could help you."

Yami looked down sadly, more tears streaming down his face. Seeing this Seru tried to think of something else to say that might help. "Don't worry about it too much though, Jikiro. If you truly love him, than all you want if for him to happy, right?"

"Yeah, but that doesn't mean the pain lessens any." He argued.

"I hear you on that one, Jikiro. Anyway, I actually just came by to give you this. I don't know, I thought it would make you feel better or something, but you don't have to take it if you don't want to. I'd understand if you didn't." He handed Yami a small envelope that he took out from his jacket pocket.

Yami took it and opened it, pulling out a picture of him and Yugi sitting in each other's embrace on the pier, watching a beautiful sunset; their backs were to the camera. The teen gasped and looked at Seru; eyes widened. "I thought I saw a small flash that day; it was you?"

Seru nodded guiltily. "Yeah, I was out messing around with my dad's old camera that he doesn't want anymore and I saw you two. I couldn't help myself."

"Thank, Seru; this means a lot to me."

Seru nodded and stood. "Well, my old man is going to be cursing at me enough from not going straight home after school. He probably thinks I'm going to attack some innocent citizen or something shitty like that, oh well. Later, Jikiro."

Yami nodded a goodbye and watched as the door closed before looking down at the picture again. More tears sprung into his eyes and he let them fall carelessly.

The door opened again and Yami looked up, startled, and saw Seru again. "Your old man said that he and your mom have to go out and do some legal crap and stuff. They want to know if you'll be alright by yourself?"

"Yeah, I'll be fine."

"Cool. Take advantage of the down time then and eat something, will ya? You're turning skin and bones."

Yami nodded and watched the door close again. It was only after he heard the car leave the driveway that he realized Seru had seen him crying and hadn't done anything to try and embarrass him about it. `Maybe… maybe he really is changing more than I thought was possible when I first met him.'

~~

Hours later, well past two in the morning, a car pulled up into the driveway again. Yami, curious as to what they could've been doing out so late, finally put the picture down on his bed and out to the living room where his parents were coming in.

"Oh, Yami, you're still up?" His mother gasped when she saw him standing in the entrance of the hallway. "Sorry for getting back so late. That took so much long than we expected."

He gave his mother the benefit of a small nod before looking over to where his dad was holding a couple of bags before his eyes shifted to the third person in the room. "Yu-Yugi?"

Yugi looked over at him and offered a small smile, which Yami didn't return.

"B-but why are…"

"I called a few days ago after convincing my grandpa that I should be able to live with my real parents now that I know who they are. He agreed and we set up the whole meeting with the judge today. Of course, without you there, it was harder to convince him, but we did manage. I'll get to live here for six our of seven days of the week; spending one night a week at my grandpa's to confirm I'm doing okay. The judge said that in a few years I might be able to live with you guys completely if everything stays in perfect order. Though, the next time he said you have to be at the meeting to confirm everything."

"Oh - I see." Yami tried not to let his tears be shown, but after a while they couldn't be helped. He was just too used to letting them fall freely that he didn't think it was possible to even hold them back anymore, even if he wanted to.

"Yami," Yugi stepped forward, "Are- are you okay? You've got tears…"

At the second step though, Yami couldn't take it and he ran from the room, slamming his door closed before leaning against it. He allowed his tears to cascade down his face as he cried fitfully into his knees, Yugi's name rasped from his lips every so often.

Yugi felt at a complete loss as to what he should do. He looked at the floor and said painfully, "I thought - I thought he'd be over it by now. I never meant to hurt him, but I…"

"Don't worry, Yugi." His mother said, wrapping her arms around his shoulder like she'd done with Yami when he was younger and how she longer to finally do it to her younger son. "Yami's just hurt because he truly felt love towards you. He would prove it over and over again every time he saw us staring at you uneasily."

"So… you knew for a while then?" Yugi asked, looking up into the identical eyes of his mother.

"Yes," his father answered as he dropped Yugi's bags onto the couch at last. Yugi looked over to him as he continued. "We did know, but we didn't want to say anything. I guess we were trying to convince ourselves that you two could be together without worry since you didn't know you were brothers, but eventually it couldn't be helped." He paused and looked down the hall. "We had to tell and we knew Yami wouldn't tell you until he had gotten over it himself. We had a feeling you wouldn't feel as strongly about the idea though and that's why we decided not to wait for Yami to tell you himself."

"I see. Maybe… maybe it wasn't a good idea for me to have come then."

"No, Yugi." His mother said determinedly. "With you being here now I'm sure he'll start coming out of his room more and start eating as well. Eventually he'll go back to school and I'm sure everything will turn back to normal in no time at all."

Yugi looked down the hallway to where he knew Yami was probably crying. Sure, he had cried after Yami had left the hospital and had done so all night. He knew he was doing the right thing though. He did love Yami, but he couldn't be with him. "I hope you're right," he whispered. `But things still only seem to get worse with the passing of time. I can only hope Yami will forgive me for doing this.'