Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ Love is Unexplainable ❯ Welcoming Confessions ( Chapter 17 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

"Seru, customer at one of your tables," a cheerful voice called to someone in the back.

Yugi gasped and looked up. It couldn't be… amethyst eyes widened and his mouth gaped open. The waiter also gaped and backed up slowly, shaking his head.

"Y-Yami…" Yugi stuttered with disbelief.

"W-what are you doing here," Yami nearly squeaked.

"I could ask the same of you," Yugi sneered before realization hit him and he jumped up, wrapping his arms tightly around his older brother. "Yami, I missed you so much. Why? Why did you leave us like that," he cried.

In his moment of panic Yami pushed his younger twin away and ran out the door, dropping his things as he did.

Yugi winced as he stood up, rubbing his back from where it hit the hard floor.

"Sheesh, what was his problem," Hikaru nodded in disappointment to help Yugi up. "Sorry about him" she said, "He's got issues I guess. I've never seen him act like that." She smiled at him before gasping, "Hold on a twitch, you-you're the splitting image of him!"

Yugi blushed but looked determined. "Please, can you help me? Yami's my twin brother and I need to find him. Do you know where he lives?"

"Yami," Hikaru pondered, "Sorry, squirt, I don't know any Yami's."

"Yes, you do! That guy that just ran out," Yugi pointed to emphasize.

"Him? No way, that guy's name is Seru. Starting working a few months ago," she explained.

"Than he changed his name so we couldn't find him. Please, please help me?"

"So you mean that Seru is your brother who ran away from home and his name is actually Yami?"

Yugi nodded quickly, impatient to go find his brother.

Hikaru thought for a minute before offering Yugi a small smile, "Sure, I can help you out. I'll go talk to him for you. I might be able to knock some sense into his pretty head."

"But I…"

"If he sees you, then he's sure to run off again just like now. Don't worry…what was your name?"

"Yugi."

"Yugi, then, don't worry." She winked at him and removed her apron. "Charlie! Me and Seru are going on our break!"

A grunt could be heard in the back and she laughed, "That's Charlie, never heard a word from him." She took Yugi's hand and led him out and down the street.

They stopped a few blocks down at a rundown looking apartment place and walked in.

"I've only been here a few times, but it's enough to know your brother won't be surprised to see me. We haven't been close, but I guess he's just like that."

"Actually, Yami's had lots of friends. It was only recently, before he ran away, that things started to change."

"Want to explain?"

Yugi shook his head quickly, "Not really; it's a bit personal and kind of embarrassing."

"I see. Here we are," she stopped at a door. "Go hide around that corner. He keeps the door open when I'm over so he can shove me out easily if he wants to so it won't be a problem to know when you come in."

"Okay," Yugi nodded. He hurried down the hall to hide around the corner and listed as the waitress knocked on the door and a few seconds later somebody opened it.

"Hey, Seru, you ran out so quickly," she said loudly.

"Yeah, sorry about that. I didn't get a chance…"

"To tell Charlie, I know," she finished for him, "I told him for you. What's up with your eyes? They're all red."

Yugi wanted to look, desperate to see his older brother and once lover again. He missed him so much it was almost too unreal to believe he'd found him on a boring class trip.

"I-I know. It's nothing really; just an allergy."

"Mind if I come in?"

There was a pause before Yami said she could. Yugi glanced around the corner and sure enough the door was open just enough. He hurried over and stuck his ear to the notch to listen. He was thankful that the girl stayed in the room by the door rather than going to another, if there were anymore.

"So, Seru, are you gonna talk about why you ran out so suddenly," the girl asked, a plop following her words signaling that she had dropped onto a couch or chair.

"Nothing really, Hikaru; personal problems and all," Yami answered, sitting more gracefully.

"Is that all? Sheesh, I looked as though you had seen a ghost or something."

There was gasp followed by silence.

"Seru?"

Silence.

"Seru, you okay. What's wrong, you've gone all pale?"

Silence.

"Yami?"

There was another gasp and the sound of someone jumping up all of a sudden. "How did you know that?"

Yugi decided this would be a good time to enter and not leave all the explaining to the waitress. He stepped in, making sure the door creaked enough for Yami to know someone else had entered the room. He was right and as soon as he was seen there was a third gasp and Yami fell to his knees, tears streaming down his cheeks.

"Yu-Yugi?"

Hikaru stood and walked past Yugi. "I think you two need some alone time," she said as she closed the door.

"Yugi…I…"

Yugi stepped forward and knelt in front of his older brother, wrapping his arms around him and holding on tightly, as though Yami would disappear if he didn't. "Shh," he whispered, "please, Yami, not yet."

He felt a small nod against his neck and warm arms wrapped around him as their owner started shaking with tears. "Yugi, I'm so sorry," he choked.

"I know, Yami, I know. I am too."

There was silence except for the occasional sniffle or one of the two, sometimes both, shifting to a comfortable position. Once the tears had finally stopped Yami picked himself up and led Yugi by the hand to a small, moth-eaten couch and collapsed on it.

Yugi snuggled up against his older brother and held him tightly. "Yami," he whispered.

"Hmm?"

"I'm sorry," he paused, "for making you think that I didn't have feelings for you anymore."

There was silence before he could feel eyes burning into him. He looked up and stared into crimson orbs.

"You - you still have feelings for me?"

Yugi blushed and looked away, "I've made my resolve, Yami. Even though I do still love you as a boyfriend I won't go out with you like you want me to. It's just wrong even if we didn't grow up together like normal brothers - twins - have."

Yami looked away also and nodded sadly, "Yeah," he croaked, forcing back more tears.

"However," Yugi continued, "I can - and will - love you as brother can. After all, it's kinda like you were my brother even when we didn't know it. You protected me and cared for me just like older brothers do."

Yami nodded and looked back at him, "And you've given me confidence and a joy nothing else could fill. I suppose there isn't a rule saying two brothers can't love and look after each other like others do."

That earned a small smile from Yugi, who nodded. "Yeah, we'll just be closer than some siblings could ever be." A frown than came over his face, "You're not going to treat me like some other older brothers do and beat me up, will you?"

Yami couldn't help but laugh at than and he quickly shook his head, "No, no, of course not. I couldn't lay a harmful finger on you even if I tried."

The younger nodded and became completely serious, "Yami, why'd you leave? Why couldn't we have talked this out without having to make our parents so worried about you? They've been looking all over the place and barely getting any sleep, like myself."

Crimson eyes turned away with shame and Yami looked everywhere except at his younger brother. "I - I thought you didn't want me there anymore," he admitted, "Everyone was so angry with me when we returned from the judge and I figured that if I wasn't there than you would be able to live happily like a family you always wanted."

Yugi gasped and stood up, forcing Yami to look at him by placing his hands on either side of his older brother's face and holding him there. After a small struggle, Yami gave in and allowed himself to look in the younger's eyes.

"I would never have wanted or asked you to leave, Yami. I love you, but that doesn't mean I'm not supposed to get mad at you once in a while. I was shocked when I first heard that you didn't want me to live with you and that just carried over to anger."

"So you were mad at me?"

"Of course, Yami," Yugi shouted in frustration. He quickly regretted it when Yami backed away from him, eyes wide with fear. "I'm sorry, Yami," he said calmly, "it's just, you were the one standing between me and my chance to be with my real family at last. Out of all people, I thought you'd have been the one to understand that that's all I wanted, weren't you thinking?"

"I did think about it though, Yugi," Yami admitted in a desperate voice, "I thought about it the entire night before and the day as well. I did think that you'd be hoping to spend more time with the family, but I was also thinking about us and what we went through."

Yugi waited for Yami to explain what that meant, but when he didn't continue he asked about it.

"Well we kinda did get through a rough break up and, I don't know about you, but I would've felt awful and torn up every time I saw you. I just wanted to wait for things to settle down between us before another big thing happened like you moving in."

Yugi looked down, full of shame. "I hadn't thought of that," he confessed, "I guess I was so excited about finally being able to live with my real parents and being with my family that I hadn't given a second thought about how awkward it would feel between us without letting things cool down." There was a slight silence before Yugi added, "Is that why you stayed in your room the entire time I was staying there?"

A small blush overcame Yugi's cheeks, turning them a light pink, but that didn't stop him from nodding confidently. "Yeah, that and I was still getting over my broken heart. Now that I've had time to think about it I realized that I was acting like a spoiled brat and should've been trying to focus on making sure you felt comfortable."

The younger chuckled lightly before shaking his head, "You were just acting like any other person would when they've gone through a rough breakup. I can understand that. And I shouldn't have tried forcing you out of your room all those times I yelled. I guess I was trying to hide and push away my feelings rather than trying to sort through them."

There was much more conversation followed, mostly by what was going on the other's life since Yami had left and how school seemed to be going for Yugi. It ended with Yugi eventually falling asleep from his lack thereof and Yami happily let him stay with his head in his lap if it meant Yugi was comfortable.

However, when he woke from a light doze he quickly noticed that it was beginning to darken. He carefully pushed Yugi off him, making sure he was still asleep, before checking his phone for messages. There was one from Hikaru and she had taken over his shift and not to worry about repaying her. He checked the time and gasped, it was almost past seven!

He hurried over to the couch and shook Yugi awake. "Yugi, what time was the bus leaving."

"Four-thirty," he mumbled sleepily.

"Oh god! Yugi you missed the bus by almost two hours!"

Yugi started awake and fell off the couch at the sudden movement, "What!"

"We both fell asleep."

"Oh no," he moaned, "mom and dad are gonna freak when I don't go over there like I always do."

Yami bit his lip in thought before his eyes glanced outside and saw the bus stop and an idea popped in his head. "I know, Yugi. There's a bus that's always coming in and out of this time. There's one more bus that comes around seven-forty-five or so. You can take that one."

Yugi looked at Yami, a heartbroken and saddened expressed on his face, "What - what do you mean `I can take it'? Aren't you going to come back with me, Yami?"

The older was startled by the needy way in which Yugi had spoken. He rolled his bottom lip between his teeth in deep thought.

"Please, Yami," Yugi begged, wrapping his arms around him tightly, "I want you back, I need you back. Mom and dad do too, we miss you so much."

"Well, I -…"

"Please, Yami?"

Knowing when he's been won over, Yami nodded. A large smile took over Yugi's face and he found himself with an armful of Yugi hugging him tightly around the middle.

"Thank you, Yami, I promise you won't regret it at all." The younger then turned and hurried down the small hall into the bathroom to freshen up a little bit.

The wait for the bus wasn't as terribly boring as they thought it was going to be. Almost right on schedule a bus stopped in front of the small station and the twins climbed aboard, Yami carrying a small bag holding things he had gotten during his small stay in the city.

Yami didn't get to sleep the hour drive there like Yugi did, but he was grateful since he didn't know if he would be woken up by the driver or not once they reached Domino. When the city started coming into view, he shook Yugi awake and together they climbed off once it stopped at the station.

From there they walked in silence to the house. When Yugi saw it from the street corner he ran ahead to their parents who were looking up and down the street with worried looks. The expressions quickly changed when they saw Yugi coming and they opened their arms to greet him.

Yami stopped and watched nervously as they exchanged greetings. Yugi talked about something excitedly for a minute before he pointed down to where Yami was waiting and waved eagerly. The older took that as his queue and stepped into the moonlight so his parents could see him.

His mother was the first to react. With tears shining down her pale and slightly sunken from lack of sleep cheeks she ran down in her slippers and robe and held him tightly in her arms, much like Yugi did when he saw him in the apartment. He wrapped his own arms around her and held on tightly, savoring the feeling.

"I'm sorry, mother. I missed you so much. I didn't mean to make you worry," he whispered, his own tears making streaks down his face.

"Shh, you're back now. I'm so glad to have you back, Yami."

"Me too, I won't ever leave like that again."