Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ Paranoid ❯ Red Eyes ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Bakura is OOC, but it is perfectly justified, since this is another dimension.
 
 
 
 
~Three weeks later~
 
~In Dr. Westman's office~
 
 
The albino huffed indignantly and turned his head to stare outside the window. The boy's soft strands of silver hair had been assembled in a sloppy ponytail while his eerily pale skin was covered by monotonous dark blue trousers and blazer.
 
Bakura's bloodshot ruby eyes narrowed in desperate tiredness, as he gazed outside the window, to the figure that was standing in the middle of the Mental Institute's garden. A voice kicked the albino out of his trance.
 
“Look, Bakura…I know that he is like a brother to you, but…We just can't do it. It's not possible, at this point.” The chubby doctor said. Bakura turned to look at the man slowly, his eyes clearly tired and detached.
 
“Please, doctor…It's been three weeks since he's gained full consciousness of his surroundings…Look how much he's improved already!! He's not rambling about some Pharaoh, anymore…” Bakura started in a hopeful tone.
 
The porky doctor let out a bark of laughter “HA! You should know him better than that, Bakura!! The man is ingenious- he could be faking it, just to get out of the Institute! How do I know he's not just acting calm and composed? Eh?”
 
At these words, Bakura's eyes sparked with new fiery life. He jerked towards the doctor's desk and grabbed each of the wooden ends with his hands. The doctor felt slightly perturbed at this sudden display of desperation and anger.
 
“I do know him better than anyone.” Bakura stated through gritted teeth. “At least I thought I did…” he added as an afterthought. “That's why I'm telling you: let him out of the asylum. Let me take him home! It's the best chance for him to recover!”
 
The doctor stood up slowly and heaved a sigh “Child, I've been telling you for two years, now…Marik is not going anywhere until I am absolutely convinced that he is harmless…”
 
Bakura turned around in desperation “PLEASE doctor!!!!...I-I…I can't do this anymore…Isis cries everyday…I…I just can't…Please….Just…Just let him come home! Let him come back! Is it so crazy to ask for something as simple like that?”
 
The doctor gave a sympathetic look at Bakura, and walked silently to the window. He stared at the figure of Marik in the garden absent-mindedly, as he continued to speak.
 
“There is something you must understand, Bakura…” he started, as Bakura came to stand next to him and stare at Marik too “I've been trying to make you understand for some time now…, but you just seem unwilling to accept it.”
 
“I'm all ears.” Bakura blankly said, as he watched Marik talk to the nurse who was sitting next to him on a bench.
 
“Marik Ishtar has been hallucinating for two years…He's been living in a dream world of his own…The cause of this…unknown.”
 
Bakura nodded and shut his eyes to conceal his unshed tears.
 
“Listen, Bakura…what I'm trying to say here, is…Marik may never come back. He's been out of it for far too long…”
 
Bakura's eyes widened immediately, and he turned to the advisor with fire burning in his whine-red orbs. “What are you implying?! You don't even know him!!!! You've never even met him in his right state of mind!! How can you say that?!!”
 
The doctor shook his head dejectedly “Bakura…You must understand-”
 
“NO!!” this time, the anger was flowing out of the albino's body. The doctor watched the poor boy spin on his heel and walk towards the chamber exit.
 
“I will never believe that!! NEVER!” he shouted at the elderly man, as he grasped the door handle “Marik is the greatest person I've ever met, and I'm going to prove it!!!”
 
The doctor shook his head disapprovingly at the albino boy's denial. “Not any more, Bakura…That is how you remember him…” he started saying, but was cut off by the sudden bang on the door. Bakura had left.
 
Doctor Westman rushed to open the doors and gaze at the retreating form of the albino. Bakura was striding down the corridor with completely irate steps.
 
“BAKURA!!” the doctor yelled, and the boy turned around to face him with a proud, convicted gaze. “I suggest you get some sleep!!!” the chubby scientist shouted, and watched Bakura shake his head disapprovingly.
 
The doctor reopened the door to his office and entered. With lazy steps, he reached the window once again. This time, he could see someone walking in the garden. It was Bakura…he was walking towards Marik.
 
Those youngsters and their crazy beliefs…It was plain to see that Marik would never recover…It was time for Bakura to stop living in the past.
 
A quiet tapping was heard from the door, and Dr. Westman immediately shouted “Come in!”
 
Low, eased footsteps were heard as the newcomer approached Westman.
 
“What's wrong Jake? What's troubling you?” the deep masculine voice of Dr. Westman's best friend asked.
 
“This.” Westman simply pointed at the people in the garden. Bakura had now taken a quiet seat beside Marik while the blonde man simply gazed at nothingness.
 
“Ah…” the other man started “It's Bakura, eh? What a resolved young man…The whole asylum knows about him.”
 
Westman nodded his head distractedly. “It's true Carl. He's been coming here every day, for two years. Every single day. Marik used to spit on him and curse him, during the worst times…”
 
“So, Marik is his name…The blonde one, right? He was never my patient, you know…” Carl had a tone of immense interest in his voice.
 
“I know…only I have been endowed with his wonderful case. Only Martha and I are responsible for him…” the answer came sarcastically.
 
Carl chuckled silently “So what's the problem? I heard Marik's getting better. Bakura is so excited about it, he's been telling the whole personnel!”
 
Westman sighed dramatically “I know…Bakura is very excited…My God, that child is worth true happiness. You have no idea what he's been going through…”
 
“So what's the problem?” Carl probed his companion.
 
“Well… Bakura is hoping that we'd let his best friend out of here, now that he's gotten better. But then again…Marik might still be dangerous. I just don't know…” he sighed in a dejected manner.
 
Carl smiled slyly “Bakura wants to take him back home? Sounds logical to me…”
 
Westman widened his eyes and turned to his friend “What are you talking about, Carl? Marik is VERY intelligent-though psychologically unstable. He's probably faking the whole `getting better' thing…”
 
Carl grinned “I realize that…I'm not as stupid as you think…” he shot Jake Westman a playfully hurt look “But…letting Marik go back to his home might be just the right cure for him -ever consider that option? It might do him good to go back to his old lifestyle.”
 
Westman shook his head slowly, and turned to gaze back outside. Marik and Bakura were still motionless, sitting next to each other. Occasionally, Bakura's eyes would drift to his companion's face, but they would snap back almost immediately…
 
“Bakura seems to believe Marik is genuinely getting better…I can't hurt the child's hopes even more by proving that Marik is immensely dangerous…” Westman mused loudly.
 
“I don't think Bakura is as naïve as you think, either…” Carl commented “After all, Bakura seems to know and understand Marik very well. I believe Bakura is perfectly aware that Marik is trying to fool us…But…Bakura probably just wants Marik to go back home…”
 
Westman shot his friend an amused look “Good God…So you are a psychologist after all, Carl!”
 
Carl shot his friend a dirty look but then returned his attention to the people in the garden “I recommend sending Marik back to his house…If Bakura will be there with him, then nothing can possibly go wrong. You can always send a nurse with them, but I don't think a nurse can restrain Marik in case Bakura fails…”
 
Jake seemed to reconsider “I might do just that…but I'll ask Bakura to bring him here every three days…You know…for inspection.”
 
Carl nodded silently, and gazed at Bakura's figure “Just look at him, Jake…The poor boy looks ready to die…Send Marik with him…If it doesn't help Marik, at least it can help Bakura…”
 
With those last words of advice, Carl spun around and exited the room, leaving Dr. Westman to contemplate. The chubby doctor sighed heavily `I can't afford hurting the poor child again…' he thought, as he eyed the albino's desolate form.
 
Finally, something happened outside. Bakura raised his hand and placed it on his companion's shoulder. Marik didn't say or do anything. He just turned to stare at the albino with a somewhat confused, annoyed stare.
 
But Bakura didn't look phased…He kept his hand in place and kept gazing into his friend's eyes with inexplicable hope and desperation.
 
Westman shook his head lightly.
 
`No. Who am I to crush his hopes?'
 
 
 
----------------------------------------------------------------- --------------------------------------
 
 
“Doctor, are you serious?” Bakura asked with disbelief. “But I thought you said-”
 
“Never mind what I said, Bakura.” Dr. Westman answered “Something happened and I…changed my mind…”
 
Bakura's eyes of bloody ruby widened in pure bliss. His now disheveled ponytail fell over his shoulder in an unruly way.
 
“W-When?” was all the albino could choke out, and Dr. Westman thought that the look of gratefulness on Bakura's face was worth anything in the world.
 
The doctor smiled reassuringly “Tell Isis she can come and pick him up tomorrow morning…Marik will be notified, but you're not allowed to see him until tomorrow. Are we clear?” he faked a strict tone.
 
Bakura nodded eagerly, his ruby eyes positively sparkling “But Doctor, I have a car- I'm exactly nineteen! I can pick him up myself…” the albino started, but Westman shook his head in refusal.
 
“Nope.” He said at the slightly crestfallen albino “Sorry, Bakura, but the patient must be picked up by the person who enrolled him in the Institute -in your case: Isis.”
 
Bakura sighed “Marik is an adult, you know…he's twenty years old, now…”
 
“Well…Marik is not supposed to-” Westman started, but was interrupted by a hyperactive Bakura.
 
“Don't say another word, Doc!!! I understand! I'll call Isis right now!! Man, will she be happy or what…She'll probably bring Rishid, too!!! OH man, this will be the best present for her birthday!!”
 
The good doctor could not resist the urge to smile at the other's antics. It was so refreshing to see the boy happy and excited for a change.
 
“Oh thank you, so much!! Thankyou! Thankyou! Thankyou!!!” he chorused.
 
The doctor shook his head in exasperation, and tried to escape Bakura's efforts to shake his hand.
 
“It's okay, Bakura…” he chuckled “Just go get ready for you friend's return!!”
 
Bakura nodded excitedly and ran out of the room like a torpedo. The doctor's grin slowly faded.
 
`I just hope Marik doesn't hurt him. Maybe Bakura will be able to bring Marik back to normal, but until then…'
 
The doctor had a very worried look on his face.
 
 
----------------------------------------------------------------- --------------------------------------
 
The sound-proof, metallic door hatched open, and a nurse accompanied by two guards entered.
 
The blonde Egyptian raised his head ominously, and watched her as she shakily placed his tray of hospital food on the floor.
 
“Umm…” she started in her girly voice and Marik had to fight the urge to roll his eyes. “Here's you food…”
 
`No duh…' Marik thought, but remained silent on the outside. `I'll just add you to my list of people to send to the Shadow Realm, after I get out of this nuthouse…'
 
“By the way ” the prissy nurse started and Marik felt thoroughly aggravated by her presence “You're getting out tomorrow. Your friend Bakura managed to convince the doctors to let you go back home.”
 
This caught Marik's attention. Oh yes…It caught his attention, indeed…Bakura had helped him get out? Ha! So he had managed to fool them! That idiotic albino! Marik would show him, the moment he got out of his white prison.
 
But until then…
 
“Really? Thanks…” he completed his flawless task of acting polite and `sane'. This was just too easy. Those idiots were so stupid…he had managed to fool them in a mere three weeks.
 
Oh yes…Marik counted the days…He scratched them on the wall like a prisoner. But no one considered that crazy…Actually, it was quite logical. He simply wanted to know how many days he was locked in there.
 
“Well, you're welcome…” the nurse commented and Marik had this irresistible compulsion to KILL her. “I'll just be going now…” she finished.
 
`GO!! NOW!!!' Marik shouted in his head, before he watched her take a few shaky steps towards the exit. She stumbled lightly at some point and Marik rolled his eyes visibly. Luckily, no one noticed.
 
The nurse and her bodyguards had left immediately after that.
 
Marik was getting quite frustrated again. He wanted to start talking to himself, like he usually did…but he didn't want the security cameras on the wall to see him. Oh well, it would have to wait…just one more day…and he would be free.
 
Thus, he started musing and making plans. What about his intact back? Why was there no tattoo? What had happened? Where had they taken his Millennium Rod? Someone had obviously stolen it and locked him in the asylum…
 
It was probably Bakura -Marik concluded. Bakura was obsessed with the Millennium Items!! Besides, why else would Bakura be the only one around? And what was Bakura playing at? These last three weeks, Marik got to see him every day.
 
Bakura was not acting like the Bakura Marik knew…This Bakura was silent and poised -well mannered. Marik really had the urge to throw up when he saw the albino. But then again…there were other things…
 
That way Bakura's eyes always studied his face- with such hope and…longing? Marik usually tried to ignore the glances, but it was driving him crazy!! Bakura was really a vengeful, neurotic maniac -much like himself- not a gentle, caring boy…
 
He would discover the truth behind this…Oh he definitely would…Marik instinctively raised his hand and ran it over his face. Thank God, that hideous beard was gone…He had shaved it the moment he got the chance!
 
When he'd looked at himself again in the mirror yesterday, he simply saw a much thinner, much more tired version of what he remembered -but no beard or mustache…His hair was not up in spikes, though…Actually, he looked like the normal, original Marik…But he was a Yami- not original Marik!! How was this possible?
 
And where was his jewelry? Where was his long purple cloak? Where was his Winged Dragon of Ra? Marik felt very insecure and jumpy without his Ra Card…
 
Oh well, all these questions would have to wait until tomorrow…tomorrow…he would finally gain his freedom. He would shove that slim albino against the wall and interrogate the hell out of him!!
 
Tomorrow…finally…answers were coming…
 
 
----------------------------------------------------------------- --------------------------------------
 
~the next day~
 
 
“Am I ready? Do I look all right?” Isis worriedly questioned. She was standing outside the entrance of the Mental Institute. Bakura was right next to her, dressed in a simple dark red blazer and green jeans. Isis herself was wearing a white dress that fell around her ankles. It was quite simple, actually.
 
“Yes…don't worry, you look great…” Bakura commented as he straightened the neckline of her dress. “Don't worry…he's not going to bite…”
 
Isis nodded somewhat nervously, her mind lingering on the last time she had laid eyes on her brother. It was about five months ago…ever since that day…she couldn't stand the pressure of coming to see him like this. She always marveled Bakura's stamina for visiting every day, but she often worried about the albino's health.
 
For her, one time of seeing Marik as a psychopath was enough. When she saw him last, he looked exactly like their homicidal father and had this glazed, crazed look over his eyes. She'd cried for over five weeks.
 
Suddenly, the doors of the entrance clicked open, and somebody stepped outside. It was Dr. Westman. He granted Isis a friendly, understanding smile.
 
“They're bringing him out now. Isis, I must warn you that Marik is not-” he was interrupted by the woman's serious voice.
 
“I know, Doctor. Bakura told me…Don't worry. Should things get out of control, we will surely return him to the asylum.” She said. The doctor didn't miss the edge of devastation that her voice took at those words. From her side, Bakura looked equally devastated at such an outcome.
 
The silent understanding moment was interrupted by the sound of heavy footsteps. The entrance door opened completely, and two body guards walked out.
 
Isis's eyes widened.
 
“B-Brother!!”
 
He was right there! Surrounded by four guards… Isis pulled her palm over her mouth as she observed the changes on her beloved brother's form.
 
Marik was very thin and seemed starved to death. His once sparkling, proud lavender eyes glanced around warily with a frantic stormy colour- it was the purple colour of the sky before the rain. He didn't have a beard anymore, and Bakura had explained to her why -she was honestly grateful about that. The boy's hair had grown much longer and now they reached the middle of his back. Their golden color had been reduced to a dull, smudged blonde.
 
His clothes had been given by the institute. They consisted of black army trousers and simple boots. A white tank top covered his upper torso. It was so long that it reached his thighs. Isis couldn't believe it was him -this scrawny creature was once her charming, handsome brother.
 
The moment Marik had exited the door, Bakura lunged forward and eagerly watched the other boy. Marik seemed oblivious at Bakura's persistent hopeful glance. The blonde man's eyes were wide, focused solely on the black-haired girl.
 
“I-Isis?” Marik questioned in disbelief.
 
The girl's eyes brimmed with tears immediately. He recognized her!! She rushed like lightning and pushed the body guards away in order to envelop her brother in a tight embrace.
 
The guards reluctantly moved away, towards the smiling Dr. Westman. Marik didn't seem to be responding to the hug, but he wasn't pushing Isis away either. Bakura was hopeful, his red eyes watching Marik intently.
 
`What is SHE doing here? Is she in this too? Hey! Maybe she's working with Bakura to get me out or something…But the last time I saw her, we were on top of Kaiba's Battleship!! I'll just play dumb for now…'
 
All these disturbing thoughts went through Marik's head. The final one lingered in his mind, and he decided he had better acted `normal' in front of the doctors. Slowly, ominously, he raised his hands to envelop his sister's waist, and heard her gasp in disbelief.
 
He grinned inwardly `She wasn't expecting it…Wait until I shove her in the Shadow Realm…' Part of him was confused about it. He actually felt…relaxed. Happy. He hadn't hugged someone like that in years…he hadn't received a hug from his sister for a long time…
 
But those disturbing feelings were easily dismissed, as he remembered his current situation. A part of him felt very annoyed. Those eyes were watching him again- and it was driving him up the wall!! Why were those red eyes staring at him all the time?
 
His lavender orbs fluttered to Bakura's direction, and he clearly saw Bakura's expression of shock. After all, he was watching MARIK respond to Isis's hugs.
 
“Sister…” Marik murmured lightly in the woman's hair, but his eyes never left Bakura's wide red ones.
 
Isis finally pulled away with tears in her eyes. Marik noticed she was different too from the last time he had seen her on the Battle Ship. She was much thinner and looked very frail. Her face been recently refreshed -from her drenched tears, probably…and no jewelry adorned her body whatsoever.
 
“Come, Marik…” Isis steadily said as she took her brother's hand in her own “Let's go home.”
 
Marik started to follow her as she tugged forward. His eyes curiously drifted to where Bakura was. Marik saw the albino walk to the doctor and thank him. Bakura's hair had now been released from the pony tail and cascaded freely down his back.
 
The tanned man instantly turned around as he sensed Bakura's glance on the back of his head. He settled on imagining ways to eviscerate the Pharaoh, to get his thoughts away from things…
 
Isis led him to the sidewalk and pointed to a convertible BMW, which was parked nearby. The hood had been pulled over the car, and Marik was impressed. Well, at least he was still rich in this new world…
 
“That's our car” Isis stated the obvious. In a moment, feathery footsteps echoed from behind and Marik didn't even bother to turn around. He already knew it was the albino.
 
Isis ushered Marik in the car and kept holding his hand as they both settled down in the back seat. Marik was thinking of getting `rid' of her right then and there, but decided it would be best to wait until he was far away from the clinic…
 
Bakura settled in the driver's seat and briefly let his eyes drift to the little mirror. Marik caught his gaze in a challenging glare, and Bakura instantly averted his eyes to the steering wheel. After the boy had put on his seatbelt and placed the car keys on the engine, he turned to the back.
 
“Isis…Where is Rishid waiting for us?” Bakura asked and Marik almost had a heart attack. Rishid? Oh no…that bastard!! If -Yami- Marik saw him, then he would be forced to leave the body!! The glyph that Rishid had on his face would force him to vanish again! Oh no!! He had to protect himself from Rishid!!
 
“NO!!” he suddenly said, and both Bakura and Isis turned to look at him in a confused manner.
 
“What is it, Marik?” Isis asked with a very kind, therapist-like expression that Marik would very much like to wipe off her face.
 
“I...Let's not go see Rishid today…Let's just go home…” Marik feigned a sincere, tired tone.
 
Isis motioned to Bakura with her hand, and the boy nodded quietly. Marik was sure he caught Bakura's eyes linger a bit longer at Marik and Isis's entwined hands.
 
Marik recognized the flicker of hope and jealousy that momentarily shaded those blood red eyes. But then…it was gone as fast as it came. Finally, Bakura opened his mouth.
 
“Fine…As you wish. We're going home.” He stated, and finally focused on the road. The car started immediately, and Marik soon found himself looking around at -what he supposed- was California.
 
There was nothing he could recognize around here…He came from some underground crypts in Egypt!! How was he supposed to know about America anyway? All he knew was Domino City…and Cairo -the capital of Egypt…
 
He stared at the back of Bakura's head.
 
Damn that albino slime-ball! It was all his fault!!