Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ Paranoid ❯ The attic ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

It took a few minutes for Bakura to lead Marik upstairs. When the albino came by the half-open door of their old room, he paused briefly and looked inside. Marik watched every single detail of Bakura's reactions…he watched as the albino's face spaced out yet again, lost in some sort of ancient memory…
 
The blonde Egyptian wondered what exactly was so fascinating about some dark room. He waited patiently for a few moments, until Bakura shook his trance away and re-focused on walking down the corridor.
 
The angel-like boy paused briefly and turned to Marik. Instantly, the Egyptian felt those eerie bloodshot orbs freeze his body. Marik noticed the breathtaking hope with which Bakura kept watching him- as though waiting for something…But what? Marik couldn't possibly know…
 
“You'll be staying in the guestroom, right, Mariku?” Bakura questioned a bit too brightly. Marik eyed him suspiciously…now why was Bakura so excited? That little slime-ball…'Just you wait till I get my hands on the Rod…' Marik thought derisively.
 
“Why the guestroom? Why not our old room?” Marik suspiciously questioned and noticed that Bakura stiffened visibly. The albino boy turned to stare dejectedly at the floor.
 
“Whatever you wish…But I highly recommend you wait until tomorrow -when the cleaning lady comes…” the boy started with a clearly placating gaze.
 
Marik snorted inwardly. `Whatever.' He thought, but on the outside: “Okay then. I'll stay here…Where will you sleep, Bakura?”
 
At this, Bakura looked freshly uncomfortable. `Bingo' Marik thought.
 
“I thought we told you I sleep in the attic…” Bakura said while squirming around a bit.
 
Marik's eyes narrowed…yes…the attic…He'd have to get Bakura out of there, somehow, in order to sneak inside…
 
“So why don't we sleep in the same room anymore? I thought we were like brothers…” Marik asked and curiously observed another one of those bright, pink tinges grace his friend's cheekbones. Why?
 
“Ummm…” the albino started a bit distractedly “Let's just not do that…things aren't exactly the same as before and…”
 
`Well, duh…' Marik thought `What an ingenious comment, Bakura! I wonder how you figured THAT out…'
 
“…well maybe you need some time to adjust again…before…I…” Bakura's voice trailed on, his cheeks becoming brighter every second.
 
“Before?” Marik urged with strange eagerness.
 
“Before I…” Bakura tried to come up with something “Before I move away from the attic! Uh-huh. That's it…”
 
To Marik, that phrase sounded exactly like `That is definitely not it. I'm hiding something up there…something important…something I'm not telling you…'
 
Marik grinned devilishly…he decided to play along with Bakura's game. “Okay…” he stated quietly “I guess I'll just go rest now…” with those words, he passed by Bakura's unmoving form and entered the guestroom. A simple bed and a nightstand were the only furniture.
 
“Umm…I guess I'll just be going…” Bakura muttered at Marik's back, and the Egyptian could downright feel those red eyes hovering on his skin. “Well…Good night.” The angel boy kindly said, his voice taking on an unfamiliar tone of tenderness.
 
Marik curiously turned around to see Bakura staring at him with unexpected…feeling. That was the best description Marik could find. Feeling. And Marik didn't know how to react to such intensity…He didn't really like the sensation of compassion that was running through his own body either!! Damn these confusing feelings!! He was a yami who had no feelings, right? But then again…was he really a yami? Or was he just the original Marik? Had there EVER been a Yami Marik? Had there even been a Millennium Rod? Just who was he, exactly? The yami or the good side? He DID look like the good side…
 
`Why is Bakura staring like that, again?' Marik frantically questioned. `Hasn't he had enough? He's already made me confused, isn't this what he wanted? -skinny little creep- he'll never succeed in distracting me!!!
 
When the albino found no response of any emotion whatsoever in the Egyptian's cold, unyielding glare, the boy turned around slowly.
 
Bakura was taking a first step to walk away from the door, when he heard the reassuring clicking sound. Marik had closed his chamber's door…without even saying `Good night.'…
 
 
----------------------------------------------------------------- -------------------------------------------
 
Three o'clock in the morning. Ha! That little white-haired bozo would surely be asleep by now…and if he wasn't, Marik would simply knock him out. This was a once-in-a-life-time opportunity for Marik.
 
That little geek, Rishid, was gone…and Bakura was no serious obstacle. At least not THIS Bakura. The demonic Bakura he used to know…well HE was more of a problem…
 
With experienced stealth, Marik crept out of the guestroom and took a few feline steps towards the staircase that led to the attic. Lilac orbs narrowed suspiciously. He could hear something from up there…
 
DAMN! Was Bakura really awake…? Well the Egyptian was not making any sacrifices. He was going up there tonight, whether Bakura was awake or not!! The blonde boy slowly started to ascend the stairs. Once he was at a satisfying distance from the old wooden door, he could clearly recognize the sound coming from the attic…it was music.
 
Strange.
 
Once the psychopath had reached his target, Marik slowly took hold of the door handle. Okay. This was a wooden door- which obviously meant that it creaked…He would have to open it with one, swift movement.
 
Marik's lips grinned their customary, demonic grin. Finally! His Rod would be back in his hand in a matter of seconds. With one quick motion, Marik turned the doorknob and pushed the door open.
 
It didn't even budge.
 
DAMN DAMN DAMN!! That Bakura had locked it!! Marik huffed indignantly. What did this idiotic albino think, that the great Marik could be stopped by a common LOCK?
 
The Egyptian roughly pulled out the pocket-knife which he had recently acquired. Once he had successfully chosen the correct tool, he shoved the slim metal in the lock and moved it a bit.
 
Click.
 
Oh yeah, that was more like it. Marik immediately grasped and turned the handle, forcing the door open with surprising strength. His eyes widened at the disorder of the room he saw.
 
There was absolutely no furniture. The only thing that Marik could distinguish as a bed was a broken, trashed sofa in the corner of the room. There was absolutely nothing else except that pathetic couch. Strings popped out of the sofa's pillows and feathers fell all around. As for the rest of the room…well it was a disaster.
 
Various dirty clothes lay tangled on the floor accompanied by bottles of beer and alcohol. Some sort of papers flew around the entire room, sweeping the floor. Marik had no time to check them out. On the sofa were splattered the clothes that Bakura had been wearing last evening -the red blazer with the greenish jeans.
 
Marik really tried to distract himself from the mental image of how Bakura would look without those clothes…
 
Now where did THAT come from?
 
In the right side of the sofa was placed a stereo, which looked highly out of place in the shaggy surroundings. The music came from the hi-fi -it was a sweet tune. A woman was singing, but the Egyptian didn't really pay attention to the song lyrics.
 
Marik idly wondered where Bakura was, when suddenly a sight caught his attention. It was a window. A very large, open window. The moonlight gave life to the darkened room.
 
The window was where all these peculiar gusts of wind were coming from. So that was why these weird papers kept flying all around the room….
 
Marik's question of where Bakura was, was instantly answered. Sitting on the wide windowsill with his face turned towards the light was none other than the angelic albino.
 
Marik took in every single detail of the body in front of him, seeing as Bakura was only wearing a pair of dark-colored boxers. The boy was just sitting there limply, his entire form surrendered totally to his comatose state. His silvery hair slipped down his back and grazed the floor -they added to the cherubic effect that the boy always possessed.
 
Marik noticed for once, that Bakura had SERIOUSLY grown very thin. Through the unnaturally pale skin, Marik could make out the shapes of the boy's ribs, shoulder-blades, sternum…everything. However, Bakura was still endowed with impressive muscles…now the albino simply resembled a pile of bones mixed with some pathetic amount of meat…
 
Marik's eyes narrowed. He couldn't really see what Bakura was holding, but the Egyptian was sure that the boy's limp right hand was wrapped around something.
 
His question was quickly answered as Bakura raised his hand to his mouth and revealed the bottle of vodka. Wooooow…Heavy. So what was Bakura doing alone in this pathetic shack, drinking his brains out while sitting dramatically on some windowsill?
 
Only then did Marik realize that there was something else on Bakura's body which seemed to move, except his hand. It was his lips. They were moving mutely to the lyrics of the song. The blonde strained his ears to comprehend the words, for once…
 
“You used to captivate me, with your resonating light… now I'm bound by the life you left behind…Your face it haunts, all my once pleasant dreams…your presence still lingers here…and it won't leave me alone…”
 
Marik's eyes widened considerably in shock. A love song? BAKURA singing a LOVE song? Cruel, sadistic, blood-loving Bakura drinking over a LOVE SONG?
 
The Egyptian watched the boy shake his head in emotional pain as he mouthed the next set of lyrics.
 
“These wounds won't seem to heal…this pain is just too real…there's just so much that time cannot erase…when you cried I' d wipe away all of your tears, when you screamed I' d fight away all of your fears…I've held your hand through all of these years…”
 
Bakura slowly raised his hand again, his nerves desperately begging for the only thing that could redeem him -vodka. The poisonous drink slithered down his throat, burning away all his sorrows. There was only one last phrase that his dead mind could allow him to whisper
 
“…but you still have…All of me…”
 
And then, the soft tune of the piano erupted through the speakers, just as Bakura's broken, skinny body literally staggered away from the windowsill. Marik understood what the boy was trying to do: Get to his `bed' in time.
 
But no such luck.
 
The bottle was the first thing to drop from the albino's hand, coming to join all the others that were already scattered on the floor. Bakura's knees came soon after, and finally…the albino's surreal, heavenly mane came to cover the fallen angel's body.
 
The Egyptian was frozen to the spot. Was Bakura knocked out? That was it? But then, that feminine voice broke out again from the song, and all Marik could focus on was the lyrics…
 
`I've tried to tell myself so hard that you're gone…but though you're still with me…I've been alone all along…'
 
And at those words, Marik froze, unable to stare at anything besides the albino's still form. The lyrics were running through his mind again and again, each time repeating themselves louder than the last.
 
`Though you're still with me…I've been alone all along…'
 
With slow, hesitant steps, the blonde one approached the sleeping boy. Marik slowly bent down to his knees and laid a hand on Bakura's back. Deep, even breathing heaved from within the albino's chest.
 
Marik slowly took the boy's shoulder and rolled him around so his back was on the floor. The Egyptian came face to face with a calm, frozen face. That was probably the only way Bakura could find peaceful sleep -through vodka. But still…there was a trace of the albino's real feelings…there was a frozen, drenched tear sliding on the boy's pale cheek.
 
Why had he been crying? That little wimp…
 
The Egyptian gasped, and realized he had unconsciously brought his face very close to Bakura's. What had he been planning- to actually KISS THE TEAR AWAY????
 
Okay…he was going crazy. He pulled away from the albino's body.
 
 
Marik snorted. Why SHOULD he take the boy to the sofa? Bakura should have been careful himself…Marik stood up soundly and took a few loud, insensitive steps towards the exit. Searching for the Millennium Rod was long forgotten in his mind…and so was everything else, frankly. All that was left was the echo of those forlorn lyrics.
 
When Marik took hold of the doorknob, he stopped. It was only a glance. Only one single glance towards Bakura's fallen body...
 
But it was enough to make Marik shake his head angrily and walk back to the boy. Slowly and unnecessarily carefully, he picked up the albino from the floor. Marik put one of his arms around Bakura's bare legs and the other on the boy's back.
 
And so he carried the boy in the way a husband would carry his bride to the wedding bed. Only Marik felt like he was taking Bakura to his deathbed. Truly morbid, but immensely justified. Bakura DID look deceased, after all.
 
Once Bakura's stiff from was taken in Marik's arms, the albino's right hand fell down from its tense position. Marik heard a sudden thump of something solid hitting the floor. He looked down.
 
A small book. Bakura had been unconsciously holding onto a small book. Wow. It must have been really important for Bakura, considering the boy actually managed to hold it throughout his entire drinking ordeal.
 
Once Marik reached the sofa, he fought to shake away the sadness of letting Bakura slip away from his arms. The Egyptian didn't even bother with containing his hesitant caress on the albino's face though.
 
Some distant part of his brain shouted at him that what he was doing was completely idiotic…but Marik just let it slip. Oh, it couldn't really be SO wrong, could it? The way Bakura's swan neck dipped into his arched collarbone…The sheer thrill of being able to touch that slim-layered, soft skin…The long, creamy-white thighs…And the silken touch of the albino's long, silver hair…
 
Marik pulled his hand away from the other boy as though burnt. Begrudgingly, he realized he was shaking and sweating. His entire form was trembling, and suddenly, he felt extremely cold. A certain part of him had gathered all the blood pressure of his body, and he was suddenly very aware of his tight, cold trousers.
 
Two shaky steps backwards was all he could muster. There was a frantic glance towards the still-playing stereo, but Marik decided he'd just leave it open. He viciously fought the urge to take one last look at that unbelievably soft skin…those full lips…
 
AARGH!! He spun around instantly and tried to run away…but his attention was captured yet again. That little book. The book that Bakura had been holding all this time…What could that book be about…
 
Damn it! He should be interested in the Millennium Rod, not some albino's book!! But then again…was there really a Rod? There was no place to hide the Rod in THIS sorry room…Damn…
 
Marik couldn't suppress his curiosity, as usual. He bent down and took the book in his hands. It had a simple blank cover. No words -nothing. Marik couldn't distinguish the color of the book because of the dim moonlight.
 
He was set on opening the first page, when an abrupt little snore reminded him just who was lying a few feet beside him…Bakura looked so unbelievably helpless like that…
 
Marik gasped at his own dirty thoughts and proceeded to slip away from the room hastily -the little book still trapped in his grasp. It took all of Marik's self control not to look back at Bakura, until he had successfully closed the attic door again.
 
Frantically, Marik took out his pocket-knife and re-locked the door. He didn't want Bakura knowing that someone had paid him an overnight visit now, did he? Marik rushed to descend the flight of stairs, thinking that the furthest he was from Bakura, the better!!
 
Damn! Shit!! Now what would he do? Rishid would probably see him the next day…He STILL didn't have the Rod…Damn!! And that Yugi brat…he STILL had to die!! Even if everything had been a dream…couldn't it have at least ended after he had successfully eviscerated YUGI??? Now he would always be plagued by a sense of incompletion…
 
Marik lunged in his room and locked the door behind him. With a swift movement, he fell on his bed heavily. He was truly glad to realize that the warmth had spread back around his body -not only a part of him was hot, now… he generally felt more comfortable in his clothes, too…Marik slowly lifted the book he was holding and raised an eyebrow.
 
A sly smile crossed his lips. `I've got your secrets now, Bakura…You can't hide anything from me…' he was truly content at those nosy egotistical thoughts. `Damn, I'm just too tired to read this now…' he sloppily placed the book on the little dresser near his bed.
 
Then, Marik pushed his tired body further on the bed, and spread his arms and limbs freely on the soft mattress. What about Bakura, he didn't have a mattress…Well; the blonde would eagerly share his bed with that albino…
 
Not to mention that the last thought had been instantly deleted the moment it was processed.
 
He felt sleep come to him slowly and finally thought about what he had witnessed that night.
 
So Bakura had been living in the attic for the last two years…He had become alcoholic and anorexic ever since Marik supposedly `left'…
 
Weird.
 
And then there was that song…and those lyrics…and that tear on Bakura's face…It became clear to Marik at this point that Bakura had been drinking over the loss of some lover.
 
The Egyptian involuntarily writhed at the prospect of seeing Bakura cuddling with some pretty girl.
 
Damn it! What could possibly make Bakura such a wuss, anyway? But damn it again! He really was no wuss; he was just…lovesick and heartbroken…
 
And who was Bakura's lost lover? And why was Bakura sad enough to become a walking zombie about the separation? And what had he and his lover possibly been doing together? Had their relationship reached a peak? Did it get far?
 
Did some bimbo girly get to run her hands over that foamy, creamy-white skin? Could someone else possibly have touched those long, slender legs? And those white, shiny strands of hair…did somebody use to dig their fingers into it?
 
And what unearthly force could have made that person abandon such an angel as Bakura? It must have been a bastard. Yes, it was definitely a bastard. But why was Bakura still in love with this bastard?
 
Why?
 
And it killed Marik to watch such a beautiful creature hover around like a cursed drunkard…It was tragic to watch the boy's heart crumble under the plague of some long lost dream…
 
And those lyrics…and the tears…
 
How many tears had Bakura shed in that lonely attic? For how long? And why didn't Isis ever DO anything about it? Why did she let him lock himself in there and drink his love dead?? WHY?
 
And why the HELL did Marik even CARE?? Why did Marik care more about Bakura's love life than he did about the Millennium Rod?? Since when did he have feelings??
 
 
DAMN!!
 
Marik was sure of it by now…He was sure of it when he looked at himself in the mirror…he was sure when he saw Bakura's kind, hopeful gaze…
 
 
 
Marik was not a Yami any more. He was normal, plain, good ol' Mariku Ishtar.
 
 
 
Although in the `world of Yuugi-ou',,, he had been Yami Malik….
 
 
And if one of the two worlds had been nothing but a dream… then did `Yami Malik' ever even exist…or not?
 
Maybe `Yami Malik' was just some figment of Marik's own throbbing imagination…maybe the entire Yuugi-ou world really WAS just a part of Marik's dreams…just like the albino claimed.
 
`Cause even when Marik had felt the need to kill Yugi…even when Marik had hated his Father with all his inner being for making him a Tomb Keeper…
 
 
None of it had felt as real as this.