Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ Paranoid ❯ Together ( Chapter 18 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Aloha, readers!! Thanx for everything!! I'm BACK!!! (dun-dun-dun) I'd like to tell ya'll that this story is coming to an endin the next chapter. I've had so much fun writing this…God, I can't believe it's over! I don't want it to be over!! Anyway, in this story, I' ve tried to portray Marik's character as best as I could.
 
I made this fic for Bakura/Malik and not Ryou/Malik, so when you think about Bakura in this fic, plz imagine BAKURA, not Ryou. It's just this thing that I have…I want it to be Bakura- the notorious meanie, not soft, kind Ryou. Maybe you'll find it hard to imagine Bakura as a kind, needy boy and choose to imagine Ryou in his position…but I beg you! Just try!!
 
IMPORTANT
 
What else…Plz review!! Oh! By the way! After I finish this story, I'll post a more…um…explicit story in mediaminer. If you go there, I have the same pen name. I will inform you when the time comes, so you can read the special one-shot I will prepare as a celebration for finishing Paranoid! If you go to mediaminer, you'll also find a YUGIOH comedy oneshot I've written. (ff wouldn't let me post it…)
 
 
Chibi-B-channie: Well, I promised I'd try and update sooner!! This story is finishing, so I don't want it to be scrappy at the end, you know? But I do know one thing- thank you for liking it!! Thank you for reviewing!! Gee, thanks for everything!!!!
Seren147: I'm so glad you started my other story, Rewind 1. It's huge and epic, but I love it, personally. I know I haven't updated for a very long time, but the story doesn't have many fans…Anyway, I'd like you to know that I definitely WILL update in the near future. I just have to finish Paranoid first, ya know? Actually, Paranoid will be finished in one or two chappies. Plz! Tell me what you think of this chap!!! Thankyou! Thankyou so much!!! THANKYOU!!
Winter: Thank you!! I luv you!!!! You're so kind! I can't believe someone like you likes my story!! I mean, I'm just a lost, hopeless 15yearold creature with a thing for writing! Thankyou so much!! By the way, I haven't found time to read the Baku/Malik one-shot you wrote yet, but I will R&R, I promise!! Lessee…I'm so glad you imagined that scene with Marik singing in the club, coz I've thought about it too. You see, when I write a story, in order to get inspired, I listen to music late at night. I close my eyes and make entire Baku/Marik video clips in my brain. That's how this story started, actually. All the diary entries and stuff are parts of my fantasies. I've replayed the scene with Marik singing Hard Rock so many times, while Bakura stares at him longingly from the bar….so many scenes, so many!! My brain feels ready to implode, but I love it!! I have a feeling you'll love the last chap/scene of this story. It includes flashbacks, Linkin Park, fluff AND smut. I have a feeling you'll like it. It's the next chap, methinks…I'm anxiously waiting for your review! (by the way, thanks for the emotional backup on my grandma issue and for the song lyrics!!! I'll reply to your e-mail soon!!)
Inu-Ice: Thanks for reviewing!! Tell me if you like this!!
Mecha shadow: It's okay you lost your big review…Plz tell me if you still like this story!! !Whoohoo!!!
Aseria: Thanks for saying this is an original story! I've tried so hard to make it original and to make characters new!!! I'm so glad you decided to review!!
Terri: I'm glad that I've portrayed the depth of the relationship between Bakura and Marik. I love this sort of romance, personally. It comes naturally. Thankyou for your words, they make me proud!!!
 
 
 
 
 
“Bakura was just weird.” Marik concluded as he roamed his hands over his albino's exposed back. Bakura just nodded in understanding.
 
“Since he wanted the Millennium Rod and would stop at nothing in order to attain it, we made a deal. If he helped me exterminate the Pharaoh, I would give him the Millennium Rod. Of course I had no real intentions of ever giving to him my precious Item, but it would still be great if a Millennium Item holder was by my side. At last! Someone who didn't need brain-washing! Bakura was crazy enough as it was. You know, I never really found out why he was so…masochistic…but I guess it had to do with his childhood. Like me, Bakura seemed to fuel a great hatred for the king.
 
”Malicious and arrogant, Bakura was the best partner I could ever ask for. But of course, these traits of his were also weaknesses and faults! I couldn't afford having his egotistic rambling disrupting my plans. I thought I could use him, that's why I made the deal…Now that I think about it, I guess that's what he wanted too- to use me. In general, I detested that guy: he was a lunatic- completely insane. He wasn't like me, who was seeking stoic revenge. He was flamboyant, loud, disgusting and so…so…so frigging occult!!
 
“Bakura was nothing like you! He looked like a ghost on a permanent basis! Ugh, how I hate him! Arrogant little bastard! Thinks he's the king of the world! Anyway. Bakura agreed to my proposal, finally. I remember what he told me…'The way to bring down the Pharaoh is by separating him from his friends.' This only confirmed my suspicions. The key to Yugi's downfall, was the betrayal of his beloved friends! Great king he is, depending always on the strength of others, never on his own…
 
“I told Bakura I would take care of his friends with the Rod, but he refused. `Their friendship is strong' he said `You will need more than that to turn them against him.' Finally, he told me the truth about himself. He revealed to me he was not really Bakura- he was the spirit who was cursed in the Millennium Ring. It was the ghost that took over Bakura's body, occasionally, in order to track down all seven Millennium Items. That's all I ever found out about that creep. That, and the fact that he hated Yugi with a passion.
 
“ `Yugi's friends are strong…but I have a weak host…' he said. I got the point immediately- we would use his `Bakura' host to get to Yugi's friends. Of course we would need some kind of excuse- like his host, Ryou Bakura getting hurt. He asked me to hurt him and I simply stared. I remember it clearly, the way he rolled up his sleeve and practically begged me to rip his arm open. I was aghast, but eventually I managed to do it. I slit open his arm with the Rod, and he was screaming in ecstasy the whole time!
 
“It was like he was having an orgasm- so pleasured he was! Now that's just sick… After that happened, he left his host's body and the real Bakura fainted in my arms. I carried him near Yugi's friends and presented him to them. That's how I met them, incognito of course…I told Yugi's friends my name was Namu, and convinced them I was a total stranger they had never seen before. Soon, after Bakura had left, I found the chance to brainwash Yugi's friends. I was so sure that using them against him would make him fail the battle…
 
 
“But he won. He won yet again. Through all my careful plans and subtlety his friend managed to break the Millennium Rod's power…Yugi had won yet again.
 
“At this point, I was positively raving. The tournament finals were close, and I had no choice but to enter the tournament myself. My last hope was my greatest…there was still an ace up my sleeve. An ace no one could possibly predict! The Sun God was still by my side, and since my malice fed Ra's power, I would be victorious, eventually. I entered the finals with the detector cards as trophies collected by my minions. Rishid would pose as Marik to Yugi's cheerleader group, while I would go by unnoticed. That idiot, Yugi, never even suspected me. Bakura was there also. To my chagrin, he had managed to come haunt me yet again.
 
“The first round of the finals started. First match: Bakura Vs Yugi. Bakura was definitely winning the duel- his Occult Deck could not be countered. But Yugi IS the King of Games, so somehow, in the last minute, he managed to rescue himself by summoning God Osiris- the God he had taken from ME!
 
“Bakura was powerless in front of God. I tried to reason with him in his mind…tried to convince him to blackmail Yugi. My plan was perfect: Bakura would threaten Yugi that Osiris's attack would kill his weak host, and Yugi, being the soft idiot that he is, would surely forfeit the duel. I can still see Seto Kaiba as he watched from the sidelines, his inner peril at watching his loved one lose…
 
“I was about to win. Everything was perfect! We were so close! So close…And of course that underhanded bastard, Bakura, had to spoil it all in the last minute… `Don't tell me what to do!' he shouted at me, and told Yugi that he would never let his host's body die- which is exactly the opposite of what I'd told him to say! Yugi attacked with Slypher the Sky Dragon, and Bakura simply fainted. Now, my last chance was Rishid…If he failed too, I would have to fight Yugi face to face.
 
“In the second round, Rishid, who was known to the others as Marik, would play versus one of Yugi's friends. In order to convince everyone that he was the true Marik Ishtar, I ordered Rishid to use a replica of the Sun God, Ra. I had conveniently forgotten that whoever uses copies of God cards faces the ire of God. Rishid obeyed me and used the card…he was struck by lightning soon after.
 
“As he fell, I unconsciously shouted at him, thus attracting Yugi's attention! I guess that's when things started getting out of hand…I didn't feel that well, all of a sudden. Rishid had passed out, Yugi was looking at me with those accusing eyes…I…I guess I flipped. Totally. The one I call `Yami Marik' -my dark personality- kicked in. Now that I calmly think about it, I was just schizophrenic- you know. Personality crisis. Somehow, I managed to convince myself that I was really Yami Marik, an evil spirit who had taken over the real Marik's body through dark powers. I started going berserk- became totally crazy. It was probably because Rishid's existence and support had been the only thing keeping me sane. When Rishid was gone…I was lost.
 
“Naturally, I revealed my identity to the Pharaoh as the evil demon inside Marik's body. They didn't seem to question me…I told Yugi I would kill him- kill them all. Even now, I can recall his scrunched up, pathetic face…
 
“Well, there's really nothing to say, after that. I was sinking deeper into darkness every day, having turned completely insane from pain and hate. Bakura had recovered and the `spirit of the good Marik' - me- was with him. Together, Bakura and true Marik Ishtar fought against me in order to destroy the darkness. Good Marik wanted revenge for his Father still, whilst I just wanted to kill everyone.
 
“I used the Sun God in that battle against Bakura. Ra's one-turn-kill attack. Bakura was vaporized and so was good Marik. Wiped out of all existence. There was only one unsolved problem left: Pharaoh. He HAD to die.
 
“Three days afterwards, after we finally reached the Duel Tower of Alcatraz- the arena where the finals would be held- the finals were conducted. Seto Kaiba predictably lost to Yugi, although he did a fair job of trying if I may say so…The final countdown had come. Me Vs Yugi. I would crush him, finally. The end had come.
 
“I started the final game- a Shadow Game. In a Shadow Game, people were supposedly offered to darkness as sacrifices. The one who would lose the duel would pay tribute to the Abyss of Chaos. If I were to lose, the soul of my good side would die, and if the Pharaoh lost, both he and his host would die.
 
“The fight had started…I was so excited…I was winning…the God of the Sun was in the arena, waiting to eradicate Yugi completely…until…until…”
 
Bakura eyed Marik curiously.
 
“Until what?”
 
Marik sighed “Until Bakura just appeared in the arena out of no where. He started shouting my name…I didn't know what was going on or how he had recovered from the darkness I sent him in…But he was there…And he was screaming at me to `snap out of it'. Well, you know the rest…I woke up in the nuthouse…Now that I have some time to recall…at that time, Bakura didn't really look like Bakura…he looked more like…like you…”
 
Bakura grinned slightly “Well, I am Bakura, after all, right?”
 
Marik sighed helplessly “I know…I know…It's just…Although you're the real Bakura…the one I truly remember as Bakura is a person I hate…”
 
Bakura deeply sighed and pulled his knees to his chest, wrapping his arms around himself. “Well…I guess I must be grateful…In your dreams, I played an important role. It doesn't matter whether you hated me or not…I still played a role…Right?”
 
Marik looked at Bakura. How could he be like that- so forgiving? Why? Why, damn it, why? Marik knew that a person like himself wasn't worth such love. He couldn't even imagine the links he and the true Bakura had in the past.
 
Suddenly, a surge of guilt washed over Marik- a feeling all too familiar in his short years.
 
“I…I wish I didn't have these memories…” he confessed slowly “I wish I could remember my true life…There must be a reason why you were always my companion in my dreams…Although I hated you more than anything else, you were the only one who always -curiously- stood by my side…”
 
Bakura's face lit up like a candle, his eyes breaking into clear vermillion red “Maybe that's why I was so mean in your dreams. If you were also mean, then you would subconsciously make me a lunatic, too…That way we could still be…well, `partners', I guess…”
 
Marik nodded distractedly “Yeah…” suddenly, his thoughts swept over a certain sensitive area.
 
“Hey, Bakura…” the Egyptian suddenly mused, making Bakura turn to him expectantly “Do you think I'll ever get my memory back?”
 
Bakura's features seemed to darken ominously, making Marik's heart clench in dire peril. He wanted to come back to his normal life! He wanted to leave his insanity behind!!
 
Bakura sighed deeply. “Look, Mariku, I won't lie to you…Hallucinations like yours are sometimes too hard to overcome. Sometimes, one's mind can cling to dreams and lies for too long…I don't understand what brought you to this stage all along…but I do know that your memory is very sensitive…There are only two solutions, at this point…”
 
Bakura's slit-like, red eyes ran to meet Marik's, the albino's wild, spiky hair adding to the tousled effect of his body. “Either you will get all your memory back in one flash…or you will remain like this forever.”
 
Marik hunched and shut his eyes tightly. He had seen it coming. He'd known the answer, he'd just needed confirmation… Maybe he would never be able to learn about his true bonds with Bakura. Maybe he would never…
 
“But before you go jumping to conclusions, like you usually do…” Bakura started with a soft smile playing at his lips “And before you start blaming yourself like I know you will…”
 
Marik felt his heart warm at the familiar sensation of Bakura's pale, soft arms around his shoulders.
 
“You will always be the same person to me…It doesn't matter that you don't have your memories…you're still you. Even if you could remember…you'd be exactly the same.”
 
Marik uncomfortably pulled at the other boy's arms, seeking to face Bakura's eyes. His doubts would not let him rest.
 
“But, But I'm not-”
 
A small tug at the albino's red, half- swollen lips.
 
“You're the same person.”
 
It was a statement.
 
Marik closed his eyes serenely, as if reveling at the impact the words had on him. He was one, same person. He had an identity. He wasn't split in half…He wasn't Yami Marik. He wasn't his Father. He wasn't somebody else.
 
He was himself.
 
Marik.
 
Bakura's best friend.
 
Bakura's lover.
 
Bakura's Marik.
 
Yup, that's what he was.
 
Marik smiled softly as he dipped his head to the soft crevice of Bakura's neck, all the while pulling the pliant albino closer.
 
Bakura's Marik.
 
-------------------------------------------------------------- -----------------------------------------
 
The blonde, tanned young man watched his best friend wear his black army boots slowly. Bakura swiftly fetched a rubber-band and pulled his long hair up in a ponytail.
 
Grinning, Marik tossed him a gray, shiny vest, which Bakura caught effortlessly. Once the vest was on, Bakura gestured for Marik to follow him and unlocked the door.
 
The albino held the door for Marik to exit, before he closed it after the Egyptian. No words were spoken, only looks. Two, identical small grins were plastered on their faces as they descended the staircase.
 
Marik gladly noticed that Bakura seemed to glow from top to bottom. Too bad that the Egyptian was in no position to acknowledge the same for himself. He had been smiling absently for at least the last fifteen minutes and…honestly, he couldn't care less.
 
All he could focus on was the inner peace that seemed to have come after his confession. Brightly, Marik suddenly realized that he'd needed to do this for a long time: tell someone everything.
 
And Bakura had been the best choice. No one could have reacted to his dark secrets better than the albino.
 
Suddenly, Marik felt cool digits reach out for his hand and a pale palm wrap around his own. Bakura hadn't turned to face him, his head was still facing forward, but his hand said otherwise.
 
Marik could sense the aura…He could sense Bakura's need. That hand…it reached out for his own almost reflexively, unconsciously. Bakura was still clearly afraid that Marik would disappear forever if not touched constantly for confirmation. This knowledge…the knowledge of being needed by someone so badly….The knowledge that if something were to happen to him, another person would die…it was enough to drive Marik insane with glee.
 
The Egyptian squeezed Bakura's hand reassuringly and smiled as he glanced towards the backside of Bakura's head.
 
Bakura…
 
…mine…
 
Marik suddenly realized that he somehow felt inexplicably lighter. Could it be that his problems had been weighing down on him so much, that they were the exact reason for his instability?
 
Well, whatever it was, he felt great to have let it all out of his chest. Apparently, Bakura also looked thrilled about the situation, since his newly reestablished trust with Marik had been sealed. Not only that, but Bakura seemed to literally shine with love. His silver hair somehow looked healthier, shinier, and his red eyes threatened to sink his entire face in darkness with their inexplicable glow.
 
They were together. A couple.
 
It was a fact.
 
Neither Marik nor Bakura needed to voice it. They didn't even need to think it, for it was subconsciously automatic in their minds. They were together. They would die without each other, now.
 
“Finally! I thought you two would never come down!!” a cheerful voice boomed from the kitchen. They entered the room, only to see Isis reading a newspaper. As soon as she saw them come in, her eyes glanced up at them, focusing momentarily on their entwined fingers. Her blue orbs quickly flew back to her paper, feigning disinterest.
 
Both lovers saw this small action and both recognized the pleased glint that shone in her eye. Isis however, didn't say a single thing about it, and it was like a mutual pact had been made. They would never have to speak about it again. They were a couple. End of story.
 
“Sorry, Isis. I guess we overslept…” Bakura excused himself comfortably and pulled Marik towards the kitchen stool, to make coffee.
 
Marik noticed Isis bite back an obviously snide comment before he was literally hauled towards the coffee machine by his albino.
 
“Yeah, well, ” Isis continued, as she steadied the newspaper a bit “It's well past breakfast, so you might as well go out for lunch...coz I ailn't doin' no more cookin'! Last night, when you came back at three in the morning, I had to throw the food to the garbage. And Bakura, you know-“
 
Bakura motioned dismissively with his hand “Yeah, yeah…I know, I know…”Food must never go to waste. Other people have nor food nor water, so we must be thankful for our luck in life and appreciate our belongings without greed.” Right Ishizu?”
 
And then, to Isis's great shock, was heard that kind of snicker. A deep, vaguely familiar sound. One that she hadn't heard in ages!
 
Marik!
 
This time, the woman couldn't help herself, so she threw her head backwards to take a surprised look at her mischievous brother.
 
That snicker! That sound! Whenever Isis heard it, she knew there was trouble! She'd always been too familiar with it. Whenever Marik laughed that way, something was up.
 
It had been so long since she'd last heard him make that sound…so long…
 
Her suspicions were impossibly raised when she saw Marik whistling and staring at the ceiling nonchalantly, while Bakura's form was shaking with laughter.
 
Isis narrowed her eyes. She would follow the usual, safe course of action in theses cases. Skedaddle.
 
“Okay” she suddenly started, as she bucked up and tossed the paper aside. “I don't know what you guys are up to but the jig is up, as far as I'm concerned.”
 
She felt overly distressed at seeing Marik shrug his shoulders carelessly and resume to watching the ceiling. She sighed.
 
“Whatever. I have to go to the library. I'll go get ready.” She left them without another word and felt increasingly disorientated at hearing loud sniggers come from the kitchen.
 
“Hmph! Kids!” she muttered to herself as she climbed the staircase to her bedroom. Rishid had left some time ago, but she had been too tired to follow.
 
Back in the kitchen, Bakura shoved Marik playfully by the shoulders. “You idiot! Butter-cream has other uses except being splayed on Isis's hairdo!!”
 
Marik's lavender eyes shone devilishly “Sorry, I just couldn't help myself! She'd fixed her hair so meticulously this morning…I just had to ruin it!!! MUAHAHAHA!!!!”
 
Bakura shook his head dismissively and sighed. “I'm disappointed in you, Marik…”
 
Marik slowly stopped snickering wildly and reduced his guffawing to a small more discreet sound. He eyed Bakura curiously. “And why is that? It will make Isis furious, won't it?!”
 
Bakura sighed and looked ready to scold Marik for his bad manners, much like a teacher would do to a student who has misbehaved.
 
“I don't know what to do with you any more, Mariku…” Bakura shook his head again in plain disapproval. Marik was royally confused. Didn't Bakura love pranks as much as he did?
 
But then, Bakura opened the first drawer above the stove and pointed at a tube that unmistakably contained liquid glue. Bakura winked.
 
“Haven't I told you time and time again?” he scolded a grinning Marik “For her hair, only superglue!! Buttercream is for her bra.”
 
Marik's grin widened in a double size, as he watched the sinful red eyes smile back at him. Simultaneously, they started guffawing, clutching at each other for support, and periodically holding their ribs.
 
“For…her…bra…??!” Marik managed to choke between hordes of laughter.
 
Bakura nodded with tears in his eyes “Yeah....right after her bath…AHAHAH!!! Buttercream!!!!! AHAHAHA!!!”
 
Marik started hitting the wall in exasperation as he choked out the next few words. “Imagine Rishido!!!” and then Marik imitated the deep, gruff tone of Isis's husband “Sweetness, I'm home!!!”
 
Bakura continued to laugh, as he too imitated Rishid's voice while speaking to Isis “Wait a minute, honey!! You smell a bit different today…Now where does it come frommm….?Oh yes!! Your tits!! AHAHAHA!!!! Just imagine his face!!!!”
 
They kept clutching at each other for support, not once registering the slim figure that had come to watch them from the hallway. Isis's arms were folded across her chest as a slight grin played over her lips. So what if disgusting rings of cream were glued on her hair? So what, if that specific hair had taken her two hours to fix?
 
Marik and Bakura, holding each other while they laughed for dear life…
 
Isis smiled.
 
It was worth it.
 
…not that she would just let it go, of course.
 
“GET OUT OF MY HOUSE, NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!” was heard the unmistakable seren, and the boys' laughter was curiously eradicated, only to be replaced by fear in their wide eyes.
 
 
 
TBC…
 
 
Wink~wink!! Plz review!!!