Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ Ryou Bakura: Harbinger of Trouble ❯ The Final Battle! ( Chapter 19 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

DISCLAIMER: I don't own Yu-Gi-Oh. Takahashi does, and while he asked if I wanted to do a special where Ryou kicks everyone's ass, that still wasn't quite good enough.
 
It stormed outside as Sami ran through the streets, her sister, her dog, and Ryou right behind her. If possible, the night had grown darker, making it nearly impossible for her to see; even the streetlamps had been cut short from the storm. She cursed. Leave it to those damn Mystics to make this impossibly disadvantageous to her. Using her sword as a conductor, she cast a fire spell. Light blazed, dancing up and down the blade and throwing the area around her into soft, orange light. It looked hazy in the surrounding black, and if they weren't blind without it, Ryou would've told her to put it out. Anyone would've noticed them with such bright light.
 
“So, what's the battle plan?” Katt asked, as they sharply veered off the street and onto a dirt path that cut through one of the large parks in the city. Sami had to move carefully. Her sword could've ignited the trees here, which definitely would've killed them. Ryou silently wondered what she was up to; she weaved through the trees, and both he and Katt were forced to follow. Rush made no complaints about it. He simply trotted along with Sami.
 
“We need to outwit them. Strength does us no good, no matter their numbers. It's clear that we may be outnumbered,” Sami replied darkly, “Stay off the streets. Darkness is our friend as well as our foe. If we keep to the trees, we can surprise them.” Ryou didn't argue. They crept along, cautiously as they came closer toward the edge of the forest. Sami made sure to keep the street within her sight so she knew where she was going. Ryou couldn't see how that helped. Everything looked the same. Destroyed, decimated, decomposing, depressing. Sami didn't even flinch. But Katt had a much stronger reaction. Ryou suspected she thought Domino would be in good shape.
 
“What did they do?” she whispered, and then Sami yanked them both back as a figure passed them through the trees. This figure was pale, his long, purple hair tied in a ribbon that ran down his blue overcoat. He felt Sami's breath on his ear as she whispered `Mystic' to him. They looked almost human! He was glad Sami was with him, or he'd have made the mistake of speaking.
 
“Damn it, you weren't kidding,” Sami whispered to Katt, “They really are everywhere. This is against Esper law! Why are they attacking?” Katt just shrugged. Neither of them knew the answer. Suddenly, Ryou yelped. He felt someone land behind him, and no sooner gasped when a gloved hand clamped his mouth closed. Sami whirled, sword drawn, but the figure stepped into the pale moonlight. She dropped her sword immediately; his good eye watched its tip hit the dirt.
 
“Miss me, Sith?” he asked her, smirking. Sami just blinked, and Katt scowled at him. This was the complete opposite of what she wanted to happen. Ryou noted the look of fury on Katt's face.
 
“Why're you here?” Sami whispered, her voice sounding shaky as she spoke, “You… you left.” Ryou frowned. Sami sounding scared just didn't feel right. The man's grin grew slightly. His good eye went from her, and then to Ryou. He let the boy go, and Ryou coughed. The taste of leather was disgusting on his tongue.
 
“And then I came back,” he stated, “Couldn't just leave you like that, babe.” Sami blinked wildly at the word `babe.' Ryou growled. He saw a faint blush cross her cheeks, and wished he could smack the man who stood behind him. Katt finally settled down, and looked around. There was no one else but the four of them.
 
“Is Katsaiga here?” she asked the man, who nodded. He reached behind him and took out a Winchester gun. Ryou noted the loving look in his eyes as he handled it. Sami's mouth just froze. Winchester was her last name. And this man clearly cared about her if he came back, even after what Ryou said to him.
 
“She's here,” he replied grimly, “She's not doing well. Seems Rath is sick of her waffling between sides. She's not herself now.” Sami frowned now. Waffling between sides. She knew what that meant. Indeed, Katsaiga wasn't their enemy. It was quite the opposite. Which meant her imprisonment… and Ryou's…
 
“She was trying to protect us,” Ryou concluded, and Katt's mouth dropped open. Katsaiga was still a Mystic. But the man nodded again, stroking the gun he held so tenderly in his hands.
 
“She knew from the start that there was no reason to go after you,” the man explained, “But she could only fight for so long. Come on. We need to go.” Without even waiting for their approval, the man led them out of the protection of the forest. The Mystics were gone. Most probably, Katsaiga had convinced them to leave. Or perhaps Rath had done so. The man turned a corner, and they came to the square. Ryou was surprised; he hadn't realized Sami was even leading them there beforehand. Mainly because he didn't recognize it. The entire town had fallen into complete disarray. But true to the man's words, the figure that stood before them was unrecognizable, save for the shockingly long, red hair. But instead of a human figure, the lower half of her body was that of a large snake. The top half was a Mystic woman. Sami looked up in horror at the face. It was Katsaiga. Or, it had been.
 
“…so you did come,” she whispered in awe, her head lowering to look at them, “I must say, Sith… I was hoping you would flee again. But I'm not surprised. You never did back down from a challenge until that day.” Ryou expected some form of banter, but Sami was clearly too shocked by what she saw. Whoever Rath was, she mutated Katsaiga. The fact the woman was still sane said a lot. Sami had to admit, that part impressed her.
 
“Why would I? You're threatening this world, and it's our job to stop that from happening,” she replied simply, her sword instantly in her hand, “Katsaiga, what is going on? I assumed you were our enemy. Why did you protect us? What is this Rath up to?” Katsaiga let out a long, low breath. Clearly, she'd been expecting their encounter to turn out like this. A weak smile crossed her face. For a second, just one, she looked human. That couldn't have been the face of tyranny.
 
“It happened long ago, Sith. So long ago, you've already borne a new identity,” Katsaiga said sadly, “And you don't even remember it. I don't know… what happened to you since then, but at one time, we were not enemies. At one time, we had been friends. That is why I protected you.” Sami listened carefully, but she couldn't wrap her mind around that answer. She looked to the blonde man. He looked grim, his gun cocked and ready to be fired. Then she looked at Katt. Katt's skin had paled, and she had stepped backwards. Something about this was scaring her, but what it was, Sami couldn't know. She turned back to Katsaiga.
 
“Please, tell me! I need to know!” she pleaded, her eyes wide, “I don't know who I am or what I was! Ever since… ever since you all came to this world, I knew something was wrong. You have the answers! Please, tell me!” That made Katsaiga's sadness grow. She wanted to explain, but she had so little time left. Rath wasn't merciful with her. She was a traitor to her master, had been for three thousand years at that point. If she spoke, it would undo her. She had to think of, not only Sami, but of her own daughter.
 
“I'm sorry, lady Sith. I cannot,” Kaisaiga told her. Anger finally overcame Sami. She hurled her sword, so furious was her aim, that it slammed right into the woman's stomach. It bounced off and clanged to the floor, but the cut was made. Katsaiga stared, wide-eyed, at what Sami had just done.
 
I DEMAND ANSWERS!” Sami screamed furiously, and Ryou was sure he felt tremors in the ground. Katsaiga didn't retaliate. She understood Sami's anger. The woman was, after all, far from her home, far from her own time. Ryou began to understand that as well. There was a certain level of frustration to Sami that told him she had been searching for her answers for some time, whatever they were.
 
“Sith, I would give them to you, but…” Katsaiga didn't finish. Suddenly, a beam of light, a thin beam, pierced Katt in the chest. She screamed, and within seconds, she had crumpled to the floor, blood spilling from her wound. Katsaiga gasped, turning around, and Sami roared in fury, dropping her sword as she knelt down beside her sister. There was no mistake. Katt was dead.
 
“No… NO!” Sami screamed, picking her sister up and shaking her, “Damn it, Katt! Wake up! Please!” But Katt didn't stir. The blonde man fired a shot into the air, toward where the beam had come. But nothing was there. Ryou watched helplessly. There was nothing he could do now, except hope to get Sami out alive.
 
“Sami, we have to run!” he exclaimed, taking her arm. She shook him away.
 
“I won't run,” she growled, and handed Katt's body to him, “Ryou… get everyone and leave Domino. Leave and never come back.” The finality and firmness of her words struck Ryou. She couldn't have been serious. And yet, she was. She was telling him to leave. To leave his home, to leave his family, and to leave her there. Three things he wouldn't be doing.
 
“Sami, I can't!” he cried, “What of you? They'll kill you! They want you dead!”
 
“Then they shall have me dead, but I won't let them hurt you,” she replied gravely, “Ryou… do this for me. Please.” There was no argument. Ryou nodded, but his eyes watered. It didn't matter. It just didn't matter how long he'd known her. She was a friend. She was a good friend. She saved his life, and now she was giving up hers. It wasn't fair. But life wasn't fair, either, and Ryou had learned that when his own sister and mother had died. This wasn't any different. He wiped his tears away.
 
“Sami… please don't die just yet,” he said, and then he took Katt and ran. Sami just nodded, and turned back to Katsaiga. The woman looked terrified, and when she looked down at Sami, her eyes were wide with bewilderment.
 
“Lady Sith, I didn't do that!” she pleaded, “Honest to Roris, I did nothing!” Sami already knew that. She saw the look of absolute terror on the Mystic's face. But, what she couldn't see was who did shoot Katt. She looked to the blonde man.
 
“Did you see?” she asked, as Katsaiga looked around again. But, the man shook his head sadly. He had taken a blind shot and merely prayed he'd hit something. It was clear he hadn't.
 
“Not a damn thing, Sith,” he replied grimly. Sami sighed. This meant they'd have to go looking. Katt was just a warning; collateral damage. Whoever had done this, why they had… it was all a game. Well, fine then. Sami Winchester was a master at these games. She had played them herself for some time. Her sword out before her, she stepped forward.
 
“Then we go and do some hunting ourselves,” she growled, “Katsaiga, let's go. If we're truly friends, then help avenge my sister.” Katsaiga didn't argue. With the blonde man bringing the rear, the three of them went down the street. If there was a Mystic hiding, they'd find them. And that Mystic… well, bless them if they weren't smart enough to run away. They certainly would never be faster than Sami.
 
---
 
Ryou ran. He ran as fast and as far as his body would allow, even past those meager humanly limits that restrained him. Sami's final words rang in his ears like her sword against steel. It was horrible. The whole thing was horrible, and if he didn't get out fast enough, they were all dead. He had to pray he'd be fast enough. The ship slowly came into view, and so did Ryou's friends. They looked wrong. They were happy to see him, but everywhere, death was apparent. Their deaths. His death. Sami's death. Everything was so gray with those three facts. Malik's smile vanished as he saw the grim look on Ryou's face, and then he screamed when he saw Katt. She was covered in blood. And more importantly, she was dead.
 
“What the fuck just happened!?” he cried in alarm, but Ryou just handed him Katt's corpse and climbed onto the deck. There was no time to explain. They needed to go now. Or die. The ultimatum was simple to decide.
 
“We're leaving,” he said, throwing the cabin door open, “They're here. The Mystics are all here. Sami's there, fighting them, and Katsaiga's helping her… oh god, never mind it all! Just get on!” The horror in his voice was enough of a motivator for them. Each of them climbed onto the deck of the ship, and Rush, having followed them, simply jumped up and landed with a thud. Ryou ran to the wheel, and was about to turn it on, when he heard a thunderous roar, sounded by two gun shots, one strike of a sword, one scream, and then… silence. Ryou didn't want to know what that meant. Someone had died. Someone on their side. And he knew who it had to have been. His mind went reeling. After all of that, after everything, she was dead. In less than ten minutes, she was already dead.
 
“What the hell!?” Kaiba yelled, when a cyclone began to pick up inside of the city. Ryou's shoulders tensed. Sami wasn't the only one there. Katsaiga would need help, if she wasn't dead already, and the blonde man… as much as Ryou hated him, he was important to Sami. He was in danger as well. Ryou rushed to the door as Rush howled in agony.
 
“Take Katt and get away,” Ryou called, leaping off of the ship, “Get away and don't come back! Find a way into another world if you need to. But never come back here!” Those were the words Sami used before she passed. Ryou's heart panged as he remembered that. She had been so confident, so damned sure of her own death. And she had it coming on a silver plate. Ryou would avenge her. He screamed, and his sword was at his side, moving of its own accord. He didn't care for it; right then, standing against the Mystics was all that he could think of.
 
“Ryou…” Bakura began, leaning over the ship. Ryou turned and looked up at him. Gone was the innocence Ryou once had, not so long ago. Gone was the gentle spirit that had kept him in tact since his life went to hell. Gone was the only thing that kept Ryou sane. In its place burned the knowledge that the one person who had made his entire life from that point possible was gone. And he wouldn't forgive that. She deserved more than that. Bakura smiled weakly and said, “Good luck.”
 
“Bakura… make sure this doesn't happen if I don't come back,” Ryou replied, “And tell my dad that I'm sorry I wasn't the son he wanted.” Bakura's eyes watered. But Ryou was already gone. The boy had grown up much in the last week, too much for Bakura's comfort. Now he was going to get himself killed, all for what? One woman? Stupid idiot. Bakura understood, but that was such a stupid thing to do. He shook his head, and held up the ring to confirm what Ryou said. There was no response from it. Sami was dead indeed.
 
“So he wasn't lying,” Malik whispered. Bakura nodded, putting the ring away. Silence reigned for what seemed like hours. The knowledge of death often did that to time. Finally, Yugi broke it. He had to. They had to move.
 
“What now?” he asked. Yami looked grimly at the city. He already knew what they had to do. The problem was doing it; they couldn't. No matter where they ran, the Mystics were still behind them. They were still in danger. No place was safe. But they promised Ryou to run.
 
“We run, and we…” Yami didn't finish his sentence. A blast of magic, so powerful, had hit them. It hit them so hard, the ship was destroyed on impact, sent scattering into a wisp of ash and smoke. Nothing had been spared. No bodies remained, no metal was seen, and no item was in sight of that short explosion, quiet and bright in amidst the darkness and chaos. No one survived. Just as Yami had feared and known.
 
It was the hardest thing to know, when you realize all of your friends were gone, and you were the only one left. Ryou had known since Bakura bid him farewell. He knew when Sami begged him to find another world. He knew they were doomed. The entire planet was doomed. Oblivion itself was now doomed. Ryou didn't want to think about it, but he couldn't get away. He ran as fast as he could to the square. And he froze. Sami was there, and her body was simply a crumpled heap onto the ground. Katsaiga was beside her, no longer the mutated creature she had been. Now, she had been restored to normal. But why? As Ryou walked closer, Katsaiga spoke. Her voice sounded strangely gentle.
 
“For all of my ability, and all of her skill… Lady Sith is dead,” she said, tears falling, “I could not save my own queen. Damn it all, I've killed her. My inability undid her!” Ryou couldn't believe it. All this time, he had assumed Katsaiga was their enemy, and she was furious that Sami was dead. She regretted what she'd done. She had remorse.
 
“She gave herself up because she wanted to save this world,” Ryou began, and Katsaiga looked at him, “Somehow… somewhere… she knew, didn't she? She knew who she was and what had to be done, didn't she? That's why you call her Sith, isn't it?” Katsaiga blinked. Then, she chuckled. Ryou had gotten it right. And at such a terrible time. It was all too funny.
 
“You amaze me, Ryou Bakura,” she whispered, “Yes. Somehow, she knows the answers she seeks. The problem is, when she ran away from here, so long ago… part of herself was broken off and kept with Rath.” Ryou's lips thinned. That meant, if she truly wanted to understand herself, Sami would eventually need to face Rath. Which she would never do now.
 
“What happened? Who was she?” Ryou asked quietly. Katsaiga frowned gently, and looked away.
 
“I can't tell you, Ryou,” she replied after a time, “It's… it's not meant for anyone but her to know. Such knowledge could cause harm to many of the worlds in Oblivion. In a way… her death spared us of at least that. But in another, we will be doomed. The other Mystics can now take over this world in a rush onslaught. You and I will be killed.”
 
“Then we have to run away!” Ryou cried out in alarm, “We can't let them win!” Katsaiga smiled weakly again. If it were that easy, she would have done so. But it wasn't. Rath had made it that way. She shook her head.
 
“No, Ryou. We can't run,” she replied sadly, “Please… talk with them. Talk with your friends. You will see what must be done.” Ryou didn't know what Katsaiga was saying, but he had no time to protest. She was muttering a spell, and sleep was forcing itself upon him. He couldn't keep his eyes open as he slowly knelt to the ground. The world melted away, bringing him to a strange, new darkness he had never seen before. It wasn't scary, nor was it claustrophobic. It was just a vast expanse of what appeared to be nothing. In the distance, he heard footsteps, but made no move to look.
 
“Ryou? Ryou, where are you, stupid head!?” came a small, light voice that Ryou was surprised to find that he recognized, “I know you're here!” He blinked slowly. That voice belonged to his sister. But that wasn't possible. Amane had died over a year ago. But there was no mistake. That was her voice. Ryou forced his body to move. There stood a little girl, barely six years old, in a yellow dress and long, white hair. Her tiny white shoes tapped on the floor. That was Amane, the day before she died.
 
“Little sister!?” Ryou exclaimed, eyes wide as he jumped up, “Amane… you… you died.” Amane's cheeks puffed out impatiently. That part wasn't particularly important to her. Right now, her brother needed some motivation, and she was intent on giving it. She slapped his cheek, her brows furrowed sharply.
 
“This isn't about me, Ryou!” she told him sharply, crossing her small arms, “Look, we're all in trouble and you need to do what's right! So stop whining and start killing!” Ryou's face paled. Those were some words to come from a six-year-old. Amane must've been pretty annoyed with him. Ryou didn't blame her. But what did she mean by `we're all in trouble?'
 
“Amane, what happened? Who is in trouble?” Ryou asked her calmly.
 
“Sami, and Malik, and Yugi, and all your friends!” Amane exclaimed, “They're not dead! Whatever hit them, it didn't kill them! But they're not here, either. Ryou, they're inside that woman.” Ryou blinked, unable to make sense of what Amane was trying to tell him. His friends were alive, but they were inside someone? He couldn't imagine how that turned out.
 
“Amane, what do you mean?” Ryou asked her, a little more concerned this time, “Please, try to make sense.” Amane sighed. She didn't have a lot of time to get through her brother's thick skull.
 
“You stupid! Their souls are inside that woman! That's what made her turn back into a human!” she replied, “They're inside her. Sami's magic restored her! But they're scared, Ryou. They can't get out! You have to help them!” Ryou hummed. He was beginning to understand what Amane was saying. Their souls had been taken in by Katsaiga. That was wonderful. That made her stronger than before.
 
“She absorbed them,” he whispered, “And I have to kill her now.”
 
“She already knew that! That's why she sent you to me, because she needs you to have your butt kicked! Well, I'm sick of seeing you run away!” Amane said harshly, and pointed to Ryou, “Go fight, silly! And if you can't do it for me, do it for them!” She pointed to something in the air, and at first, Ryou couldn't see or hear anything. Then, faintly, he heard voices. His friends' voices. They sounded confident as they spoke.
 
“You can do it, Ryou!”
 
“Go on, Ryou! Kick her ass!”
 
“Dude, seriously, we don't want to die this way!”
 
“Ryou, she needs you to do this,” Ryou looked bewildered as he heard Sami speak. But he knew what she was trying to say. Katsaiga wanted to die. She was depending on Ryou to set things right now. Everyone was. He looked down, and nodded. Amane just smiled, and watched as her brother slowly disappeared, reappearing back in his own world, where he opened his eyes. Katsaiga was looking down at him with worry. She must've been afraid he'd been killed in her spell. To see him awake brought a smile to her face. Ryou hated the thought of wiping that smile away. She couldn't have been the villain they had thought.
 
“Do you understand what you must do to save them?” she asked him, and grimly, he nodded. He took his sword in his hand. The blade shone blue. Katsaiga eyed it approvingly. She had seen that sword before; the Zerrkandr, the Espers had called it. The `blade of mercy,' for it did not cause pain to those with pure intentions. And she was honored to die by its touch.
 
“I do,” he replied, “I must kill you and set their souls free.” Katsaiga nodded, and folded her hands against her stomach.
 
“The Zerrkandr is a legendary blade, Ryou. It will serve you well,” she said, “Are you ready to wield it?” Ryou's lips thinned. That question, he just didn't know the answer to. Could he handle a sword? A sword of the Espers?
 
“…yes,” he said, “Thank you.” Katsaiga nodded, and Ryou lifted the sword above his head. He brought it down; it moved so easily in his hands, and it cut through Katsaiga in one blow. Ryou didn't want to see the blood spurt, black across the ground, but he forced himself to look. He forced himself to see what he had done, what he had killed. But to his amazement, Katsaiga was smiling. Even as her body disappeared in a blast of light, she smiled. And waved. He heard her last words, and it brought tears to his eyes. She was truly loyal to Sami, and only to her.
 
“I will do what it takes to see my queen on her throne yet again,” she whispered, and then… she was gone. Ryou couldn't believe how quickly it had passed.
 
“…Katsaiga,” he said sadly, letting his sword drop, “You weren't a bad person. Mystics… aren't bad, are they?”
 
“No, they aren't,” Sami replied, and Ryou spun around, “Their leader is forcing them to do these terrible things, and while some do them willingly… Ryou, you will find that many have no choice. Katsaiga… saw that in us.” Ryou nodded, looking down. Sami was alive. She was perfectly fine. Clenching his fists, he hugged her. He hugged her so tightly, he was sure he was choking her. But he didn't let go.
 
“Why are they doing this, then!? Why can't they fight!?” he asked her, as tears ran down his cheeks, “Sami, this isn't right!” He felt the older woman pat his head comfortingly. She felt stronger than he expected.
 
“Because of Rath, whomever that is,” she explained gently, “Ryou… you understand what this means, right?” Ryou nodded. That meant more of them had to be stopped. And Sami would be the one to stop them. Which meant Ryou would be helping her. Which was fine. That's what he wanted now. If they all were like Katsaiga, he could handle it. But he had a feeling they weren't. Katsaiga had cast her loyalties long ago and stuck with them. She was a rarity among those Mystics.
 
Ryou! You won!” Yugi screamed, and Ryou turned again. His friends were alive! Amane had been right! Rush barked and howled as he bounded toward Sami, who caught him in a flying leap. Everyone was cheering, screaming, laughing, doing anything to display their happiness to him. He just chuckled.
 
“Thank Katsaiga,” he told them, “She's the one who helped me.” Katt nodded, looking down at the blue blade Ryou had held. The glow had left it, for it was no longer needed. She picked it up and handed it to Ryou.
 
“Leave it to our ancestors to make life a hell of a lot easier, eh?” she commented, and grinned as Ryou took the sword, “That's yours now. Keep it safe, kiddo.” Ryou nodded, sheathing the blade. Sami patted his back proudly as Tea finally cleared her throat. Obviously, she had something to say. Everyone slowly quieted themselves to hear her.
 
“Well, now what?” she asked them, and Tristan laughed, “Shut it, Tristan! We just won, and we have to do something, don't we!?” Sami just raised a mildly amused brow. That was true enough, but she hadn't the faintest idea. Ryou wasn't too surprised; Sami didn't seem like celebration material. But Joey, and most of his friends, were. And it was Joey who suggested the idea.
 
PARTY AT KAIBA'S!” he shouted. Everyone stared at him for a second, and then the group erupted into cheers and shouts of joy. That was, by far, the best idea Joey had ever given. So it wasn't a surprise either when Kaiba was the only one who protested.
 
“What!? My house!? Why mine!?” Kaiba demanded, but when the cheering grew, he stuffed his hands in his pockets angrily, “Fine. Whatever. I don't give a shit anymore.” Sami actually laughed, and he threw her a furious glare. Grumbling, he began to lead them out of the square, where trucks were beginning to park to help clean the place up. He was glad his house was close by. The quicker they got there, the quicker the party would leave. And even though they did just save the world, Kaiba didn't believe an ounce of it. After all, the battle had been over magic. And Seto Kaiba didn't believe in that. Even if it nearly killed him.
 
-----------------------------(End Chapter)
 
The world is saved! For now, anyway. What Sami said about there being more Mystics has weighed heavily in Ryou's mind now, for he knows they will be battling them off. But how many are there that they must face? What will happen with Ryou's world now that Katsaiga is dead, of her own accord? And, will Ryou's father return to him? Find the rest out in the Aftermath, and click that Review button!