Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ Ryou Bakura: Time Master! ❯ Dark Memories and the Tragedies of War ( Chapter 15 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

DISCLAIMER: I don't own Yu-Gi-Oh. Takahashi does, and he doesn't approve of Sith destroying the rest of Atemu's palace. It's not nice, according to him.
 
Ryou was currently running toward the dining hall, as dinner hadn't yet been concluded. He was worried for Sami, wondering just what it was she managed to remember in such a short time. She sounded very serious, and whatever happened in the distant past must've traumatized her. Ryou had never remembered another time where she felt such regret to the degree that she did. Finally, he rushed down the stairs and burst into the dining hall. The servants had just taken the plates into the kitchen, and once again, everyone turned and stared at Ryou, wondering what could've caused him to come rushing in like that.
 
“Ryou, are you all right?” Bakura asked, sensing the boy's worry. Ryou nodded sternly, walking over to the table, though being out of breath made him much less stable.
 
“Sami has something that she needs to tell us,” Ryou told them all, “And she wants us all to come…” He looked over at Sceppiro nervously, but the Esper simply nodded, waving his arm to dismiss them. Everyone stood up and immediately followed Ryou as he began to run right back to Sami's room. Sceppiro didn't follow them, and Ryou felt that might've been better. Sami had said nothing about letting Sceppiro come.
 
“Ryou, what's so important that she interrupted dinner?” Malik asked as they bounded up the crystal staircase, “I'm telling you, these Espers know how to cook. She couldn't have waited?” Ryou narrowed his eyes. He hadn't asked what was so urgent, but he didn't like how Malik was more interested in their dinner than anything Sami could tell them. This was, after all, to help her. Finally, they reached the second floor, and Ryou sharply turned toward the west wing.
 
“She wouldn't tell me, but she asked that you all come,” Ryou replied, “I think… I think she remembers how she came to our time. I know it doesn't make sense, but I don't think she was born 21 years ago like she first assumed. I think… I think she's much older than we are. How old, I don't know, and I don't want to know, but…” Ryou couldn't finish. He always knew Sami was well past his age, but he never truly believed it, until what he witnessed downstairs when she saw her father's statue. It was no act.
 
“Well, it'd certainly explain how she knows so much about magic and various lore surrounding it,” Yami replied, “What's amazing is that neither I nor Bakura sensed such an age in her. I wonder just why that is.” No one had time to answer Yami as they ran into Sami's room. Sami herself was standing in front of the fire, her back turned to them. Ryou stopped, and for a minute, everyone looked to Sami. She remained silent as she continued to stare into the fire, but when a considerable amount of time passed, she waved a hand.
 
“Please come in,” she said, not bothering to turn around, “I may have answered a question I've been trying to understand for the past four years.” Everyone walked in, sitting down on whatever was available. Yugi and Malik both took a windowsill as Miho and Anzu sat on the bed. Bakura, Yami, and Ryou stood, with Ryou walking over to put a hand on Sami's shoulder. Katt sat on the floor.
 
“Sami, what is it that you recall?” Ryou asked, hoping she wouldn't shut herself down. She glanced at him, and finally turned around. She looked down at the floor for a second, and Ryou knew the answer would be difficult to relay. Gently, he pulled her into a comforting hug.
 
“…when I told you that I was much older than I assumed, Ryou, I wasn't lying,” Sami told him calmly, “I couldn't… remember why that was, my memories were so foggy. There was no need to awaken them. But now… what I'm about to tell you happened many centuries before your time. I do not know what sparked it, but I know it may clear up why I'm… the way that I am, so unlike the other Espers.” Malik raised an eyebrow, as Ryou had told him just how the Espers treated him when he actually met them. He snorted.
 
“With all respects, Sami, you're much kinder than any magical race we've met,” Malik replied, “Well, except for Katt. She's the sweetest.” Katt blushed heavily, and Sami smiled gratefully at such a kind remark. Then she continued, her voice growing grim again.
 
“I don't know when this truly happened, but it was… shortly after Yami… that is, Atemu, died,” Sami said, and Anzu looked at her with wide eyes, “I was one of the highest-ranked guards in his courtroom, and I was his friend. That day… he crowned Seth to be his successor. I couldn't believe it, nor could I accept it.”
 
“So you were jealous?” Miho asked, but Sami shook her head.
 
“Far from it. I was glad that there was a leader to Egypt. At least, for the time, but soon… everything fell apart,” Sami replied sadly, “When Seth was pharaoh for around… a year, perhaps, he started closing down trading routes between Nesce and Egypt. There was a huge uproar, because Atemu and I worked so hard to create a solid foundation of our alliance. And in less than a year, Seth destroyed what took nearly fifteen years of work on our families' parts.” Yami perked a worried brow, never having known this for himself. He only vaguely recalled a knight, even now, but he never knew what became of the rest of his court after his priests had fallen.
 
“Why would he do that?” Yami asked. Sami looked at him, and shook her head.
 
“I've no answers for that, Yami,” she replied regretfully, “But when he heard that I was sourly against this plan of his, he saw me as a threat… I believe. And why should he not? I was a champion of war, one of the most feared warriors to contend with. I could have killed him with one blow. It certainly didn't help that many of the people felt I should have been the next ruler. But, I never shared that opinion.”
 
“Why not?” Malik asked skeptically, “You could've saved a lot of people. Why not rule Egypt while Sceppiro took Nesce?” Sami chuckled with amusement, and smiled slyly.
 
“My place was as a protector. I wouldn't have made a good ruler for Egypt,” Sami replied gently, “I was no queen. But, I wanted to help the people of both countries. When the town asked for me to do something, to stop the collapse of one of the best trading routes at the time, I couldn't say no. So, I presented to Seth what the people had wanted. He didn't agree to them. In fact, he dismissed me for opposing him.” Everyone's eyes widened, but Bakura was the most affected. His eye twitched, and his fists clenched angrily. Obviously, he felt that was an unjust reaction, though Ryou felt his own reaction was a bit overboard considering.
 
“He… he dismissed you!?” Bakura snapped, and when Sami nodded, he snarled, “That ungrateful bastard! Why would he do that!? He should've just murdered everyone for that matter!” Sami looked away, keeping whatever opinion she did have to herself.
 
“Least to say, no one was pleased with what happened. I wasn't exactly surprised, and neither was he,” Sami continued on, looking out the window, “It was probably the worst mistake he made, and the one that laid the path to his death… and to my downfall. When news of my dismissal reached Nesce, the Espers were in complete outrage. Our alliance crumbled, but what they failed to realize is that whatever alliance Nesce had with Egypt had died the day Atemu was taken from this earth. Seth… neither he nor I were prepared for what truly came next.”
 
“So what happened? Did you die too?” Anzu asked. Sami looked at her, and shook her head, her sly smile reappearing.
 
“…No. I'm alive, as you can see,” Sami replied calmly, “However, it was the most terrible time for everyone. Seth shut down the trades, but he kept every resource we had received from Nesce, and any mines that were between the Lion's Gate and the edge of the desert were ordered to go directly to Egypt's use. It was like being boxed in for us. I had… no choice. A war had to be initiated.”
 
“You… you started a war?” Yugi asked, staring in complete disbelief, “You actually started one!?” Sami nodded, and took her glasses off, looking away from them.
 
“It broke my heart, but I was nothing more than a broken soldier amidst a world of ruin,” Sami replied sadly, her smile disappearing, “I broke the day Atemu and Bakura died. They were my best friends, even though they hated each other. But I needed to fight again. Everyone needed me, from both sides. What Basch said about my sword striking down the pharaoh… was not true.” Everyone gasped at that statement, but Sami still had more to say, “It did strike a blow that devastated this world, but it was not from Seth… though, it might as well have been. He was sure… I was partly responsible for Zork.”
 
“But that's not true!” Bakura cried, and Sami looked up at him, “I'm the one who summoned Zork and defeated Yami. You… you were trying to fight off the undead armies. How could he blame you for my mistake!?”
 
“You were dead, and he wanted revenge. He chose me… because I was close with both of you,” Sami replied, eyes narrowing bitterly, “It wasn't out of malice, Bakura. He was desperate for justice to be served, and when he learned that Zork had messed with the Espers… and what we tried to do to stop him, he wondered… how loyal could we be? He accused me of that, and though I retaliated, it was nothing compared to what happened during our own battle… inevitably… I ended up killing Seth.” Everyone either gasped or reeled back, and tears finally fell from Sami's eyes. Ryou held her, but she continued to look at the floor. She looked up at Yami and whispered, “I'm sorry I dishonored your last wish, sir.” Yami looked at her, his own eyes watered. He couldn't blame her for what she had done, especially knowing that she and Seth weren't the best of friends when he died.
 
“You did all you could,” Yami replied, “Seth had no right to destroy you like that.”
 
“I destroyed myself for letting your death stop me,” Sami said sharply, “And I let him use that… I couldn't stop what I had done. And there was nothing left. Every Esper that had taken part in that battle had died. Every human was slain. Only I remained in that bloodied battlefield, with my sword.” Silence fell after that, as everyone tried to absorb the memories Sami had relayed. It was a painful one, even though most of them had never experienced it firsthand. Finally, Yugi spoke.
 
“But how did you come here?” he whispered, “To our time?”
 
“…that was my brother's doing,” Sami replied, “He came within the hour of the second battle, having heard the last scream of Seth, he knew I had murdered the pharaoh and ended the alliance forever. What he didn't realize… was the new threat that arose. This threat decimated whatever was left, and using the last of my power, I stopped that as well. But, there was little hope for us. With our last ounces of strength, Sceppiro and I… we…” She seemed to hesitate her answer, and Ryou looked at her critically as she said, “We… warped through time.” Malik raised a confused eyebrow, also noting the difficulty she had in speaking, and as he glanced at Katt, he saw the horror in her face at Sami's reasoning. Thinking that she had to have been lying, he turned back to her.
 
“Sami, that can't be possible,” Malik replied, “If Sceppiro followed you, how come you never knew him? None of us ever saw him. The only sibling you have is Ka…” Malik stopped, and looked back at Katt, who nodded very slowly, the same look of horror still on her face. He turned to Sami, who sighed as her lips thinned apprehensively. He backed away, “No…”
 
“Katt… is my brother,” Sami told him, “For reasons unknown, he chose to come here as a woman. My brother had always been quite an oddity.”
 
“No!” Malik cried, as Katt stood up, “This is too much! Are you telling me I'm in love with a man!?” Katt stopped, and tears threatened to fall from her eyes. To hear such shun from Malik broke her heart, and Ryou suddenly felt a whip of anger toward Sami. Katt, however, didn't voice it. She merely kept her stare at Malik.
 
“Malik, I never meant to hurt you,” she whispered, “…I… I didn't know what to do. Everything was so messed up, and Espers were getting hurt… nothing was as it seemed, or seems even now… and…” Everyone looked at Malik, and Sami joined her sister, who sniffled, trying to hold her sobs in. But, Ryou silently noted Katt was avoiding contact with Sami. Malik looked down, and then slowly, he smiled.
 
“Don't be. You didn't know what else to do,” he replied, looking at Katt, “Besides, as far as I'm concerned, you're still female. You're… you're Katt.” Katt's eyes widened as Sami smiled at Malik, grateful that he hadn't crushed her sister to pieces.
 
“You're not mad?” Katt asked. Malik shook his head, and she ran over, hugging him.
 
“No. I love you,” Malik told her, “I don't think you being a male in your past will change that. If that's the case, then gender doesn't matter to me. You're still… my girl.” Katt finally broke down and cried as Malik hugged her tightly, and everyone else simply smiled at the two. Sami narrowed her eyes, and Ryou laughed as she silently disapproved at Malik still, but she didn't voice any opposition she may have had. Malik, however, finished with, “The hardest part is telling my family. Rishid won't care, and Ishtar might think it's cool, but Ishizu… she'll blow her blood vessels if it ever comes up.” Katt laughed and nodded, and both agreed to only tell them if they were asked. Sami turned to Ryou.
 
“And how about you?” she asked, making him glance at her, “You know what I am, what I had done, and what I've continued to do. What do you make of it? Are you… afraid?” Ryou didn't expect such a question. He wasn't afraid of her at all, and thought that should've been clear. He gripped her hand again, and smiled, shaking his head.
 
“It'll take you actually cheating on me right now to make me hate you,” Ryou replied, and Sami laughed, ruffling his hair, “And knowing you, that won't happen.” Sami nodded, laying her head against his. Bakura, however, grinned as his own memory kicked in. Though Sami had made it clear there was nothing between them, now or ever, he still had the memory to tease them with.
 
“It will in about 1500 years,” Bakura reminded him mischievously, “Sami and I get hitched!” Sami turned and looked at Bakura with stiff amusement, and Ryou snorted at the expression on her face. It was obvious that if she planned to change anything in the future, it would be that.
 
“Hopefully I'll be unable to have children by then,” Sami simply said, and when Bakura raised a confused eyebrow, she turned back to Ryou. It took Bakura a minute to realize just what she meant, and finally, he screamed. Sami laughed hysterically, and Ryou blushed, shaking his head from the banter they threw at one another. Finally, he laughed, too. The insult to Bakura was just… funny. He gave her a firm pat on her back.
 
“Sami, sometimes I'm surprised you considered marriage,” Ryou said, his chest heaving with amusement, “Maybe I'm just lucky. Bakura, are you going to be okay?” Everyone turned to look at Bakura, who had taken to sitting in the chair by the bookcase and rocking back and forth slowly, eye twitching.
 
“No children… no children… no little Bakura juniors running around,” Bakura mumbled, and Ryou glanced at Sami, “I have to change that… when it happens, I'm making sure I have kids…” Sami blinked, wondering if Bakura even heard the disinterest she had implied, and as she walked over, she quickly knew he hadn't.
 
“Bakura, I think you need to listen to me,” she said gently, forcing him to look up at her, “There is no way I'm marrying you in the future. I'm sorry. Besides, I'm already married. That vision you all saw of the future… it may very well have changed simply by coming here, so please let it go.” Bakura looked up at her, and all insanity he did have left him as he frowned, and then nodded, his own lips thinning with grim reality.
 
“…all right,” Bakura said, “You're… probably right. It's just a dream now, right? Yes, it's not happening.” Sami's frown saddened as Bakura turned away from her, and she looked back at Ryou. He looked equally as worried.
 
“Bakura… will you be all right?” Sami asked as gently as she could. Bakura glanced back at her, and let out a heavy sigh, smiling sadly.
 
“I never knew exactly what I'd do if I ever saw her again,” Bakura replied, “When I first met you, I didn't even recognize it was you. That you were Knight Sith. I started getting suspicious, but there were differences in you that were clear. Maybe that's simply from living in Ryou's era for the past twenty years. But, now that we all know, now that there's proof… I'm not sure what to think.” Sami looked down as she listened to Bakura. Her eyes narrowed.
 
“Did you always know who I was?” Sami asked, and Ryou noticed she sounded almost bitter, “If so… why didn't you ask me? I've been wondering who I was for years.”
 
“Like I said, Sami, there were differences that quelled my suspicion,” Bakura replied, “Besides, how was I to tell you that I was sure you were a past friend? You'd have thought me crazy.” Sami snorted with bitter amusement. She might have done so, indeed, but she would've investigated if he was so sure of that. After that, silence fell as the two looked at each other. Ryou wondered if Bakura was trying to help her remember their friendship, but they weren't speaking through any links. Finally, Malik broke the silence as he whistled loudly. Sami looked to him.
 
“Well, I was just wondering what we do now,” Malik said nervously, “Seeing as how you remember how you came to our time, I didn't know if there was anything else you needed to know.” Sami blinked, and then looked out the window as the snow thickened to very large snowflakes that pattered the window softly. Bright lights were still visible in the city below.
 
“First of all, we need to go back and see if Kaiba's repaired the machine yet,” Sami replied, at first slowly, and then with more confidence, “I'd like to remember my childhood, but that may come… with time. Knight Sith might give me something to help me remember, but I can't assume that. There is… one time zone I must stop at, though. Even if I have to go alone.” Ryou glanced at her with concern. He never liked when she suggested going somewhere alone.
 
“What time is that, dear?” he asked her. She hesitated, and then spoke. And when she did, she sounded grimmer than Ryou had heard in a very long time. It sent shivers up his spine, and would finally tell him who she had truly been and what had truly happened to her. He wanted that, as much for himself as for her.
 
“…that day, when Seth and I fought,” Sami replied darkly, her face hard and stern, “I must… see what actually happened.” Ryou didn't like that decision, but he forced himself to agree. Two days later, after learning as much as they could from Sceppiro, and later, from Cydandilus Skylark, Ryou, Sami, and their friends were packed once more and ready to make the journey back to Atemu's palace. Forte had sent a transmission to Sami's phone saying that they completed the machine, and now she was anxious to get back. She could barely sit still on the horses Sceppiro provided.
 
“You're really excited about this, aren't you?” Anzu asked her, as Yugi put two saddlebags on his horse, hopping up. Sami looked over, and chuckled. She was aroused, but she wasn't excited to be heading to her worst memory. If anything, she was dreading the moment she stepped onto that battlefield, but it was important to her. She needed to know how everything played out, and if Egypt, and possibly the entire world, was served for the better from her actions.
 
“Excited isn't the word I would use,” Sami replied slyly, “Nervous, yes, but I'm not excited. I'm… afraid of what I'll see. For all I know, I could've been a monster.”
 
“From what you said, it just sounded like you had no choice,” Miho reminded her, putting her water bottle into one of her bags, “But can't you just read a book about it? Why do you have to go directly there?”
 
“Because I need to see what I did,” Sami replied after a moment of silent consideration, “I need to see firsthand what my choice led to. I need to know… that I wasn't some monster that Sceppiro had to send into Oblivion to protect the earth.” Ryou walked past her horse, and stopped when he heard this. He looked up, and patted her leg gently. She looked down at him, and he smiled warmly at her as his horse trotted over, braying softly.
 
“You're no monster, Sami. If anything, you're still the hero you once were,” Ryou replied, climbing up onto his horse, “If you were a monster, you would've sent us directly to our deaths the moment you met any of us. Remember that.” Sami nodded, and as soon as Ryou saw that Yugi was ready to go, they set off. Sceppiro wished them a safe journey from the top of his observation tower, and soon, they were riding up the slopes of the mountain. The wintry half of the year was over for Nesce, and warmth pierced through the thick clouds, which caused much of the snow to melt within their two-day visit. Plants were already poking through the frozen ground.
 
“Well, at least it won't be freezing while we go through that stairway again,” Katt commented, as they raced up the steeps of the mountains. Navigation was easy, though the ground was rather muddy from all of the melted snow, and within the hour, they were already reaching close to the summit of the mountain, where the large gate stood, its doors wide open for them. Most of that hour, Ryou spent going over their plans with Sami, or listening as Sami spoke to Anzu and Miho, catching both up on what she had learned of the Mystics that were chasing Ryou, and how badly that was affecting Domino. Ryou felt a pang of guilt, but he knew none of it was their fault at all. He was the target; everyone else became intertwined simply from being in his life. Finally, when they came to the gate, Sami dismounted, feeling it might be safer to not take their new horses. Miho and Anzu followed suit, and soon, everyone else had as well, letting their horses run back down the steep.
 
“How long will Nesce stay in springtime?” Yugi asked, as they walked into the gate, “And do you know what it's like in our time?” Sami glanced at him, and once again seemed to hesitate answering.
 
“Three to four months, and then the air will start to chill again,” Sami replied, “As I said, winter takes up 75 percent of Nesce's year. As for how it is now… I can't say. I don't even know if it's still an actual place. When civilizations belonging to magical races begin to fail, they sometimes simply vanish from earth, never to be seen by mortals again. I don't know what became of Nesce.” Yugi noted that she sounded distant as she said the last part, and decided to drop the subject entirely. Malik, however, didn't seem to pay as much heed to the tone in her voice, even when Katt tried to warn him with a shake of her head.
 
“Did you always know you were from Nesce?” Malik asked her, and Sami looked at him critically, “I mean, you said you were from Algon, but how did you come to find Nesce?” Sami stopped, and Ryou stopped alongside her, as did Malik. She looked down for a minute, and then, her lips thinned as she formed her answer.
 
“…yes, and no,” Sami replied calmly, “I didn't know it was my birthplace, but Nesce is where all Chesiers go when their time is up. I knew… that eventually whatever my lineage was would lead to there. I knew as soon as I looked up my last name, that I originated from Nesce. I just never knew I was so old.” Malik snorted, and Katt whacked him lightly on the shoulder, as a reminder that she was just as old as well. Malik glanced at her, and grinned.
 
“Aww, come on, Katt,” he teased, “I already said I love you. Besides, I've never shacked up with an old woman.” Katt gasped, and her brow furrowed in offense, but Sami simply snickered, urging herself to walk forward.
 
“According to Ishizu, you've never been with any woman other than Katt,” she stated slyly, and Malik glared at her. After that, the rest of the trip back was fairly silent. Sometimes Anzu or Miho would break it by asking about things from Nesce, but for the most part, no one else said much. Ryou could feel Bakura's mind racing, wondering if Sami could remember anything of him specifically. Ryou felt jealous, but he knew most of the feelings Bakura had for her were now more of friendship than actual love, though that still existed in a much smaller portion as well. When they came to the exit of the gate, where only a slushy mix of snow fell into the sand, they found their horses from the palace were still on the posts, and by the whinnying, they were happy to see their masters. Sami smiled as she patted her horse on the snout, and climbed up, watching to make sure everyone else could move as well. When all were mounted, they raced across the desert, and within a short few hours, the city around Atemu's palace came into view, spurring the horses even faster. Ryou had occupied his time listening to everyone ask questions, Sami telling stories, and Malik attempting to lighten the mood with singing. The only one who actually accompanied him was Ishtar, and both of them were considered tone-deaf by the time they were done.
 
“I just hope the guards at the palace don't consider that a cry from a monster,” Miho joked, as they galloped past a cluster of small cactuses, “Honestly, if there was any glass around, you both would've shattered it!” Ishtar ignored Miho's remark, and Malik simply held his head high, intent on keeping his ego in tact.
 
“And I suppose you've won American Idol?” he retorted smugly, until his horse whinnied, bucking him off and throwing him into the sand. Sami simply laughed at the sight, feeling that the karma was warranted. Katt snickered and quickly helped Malik back up, but it was Ryou who actually spoke, and his voice shattered any friendliness around the area as he pointed to just above the palace, where thick black clouds had formed.
 
“What are those!?” he cried in anguish, and Sami immediately looked over. Her eyes widened, and she sniffed the air. Immediately, she smelled heavily laden dark magic, along with traces from Oblivion itself. There was something else to it, but at the moment, Sami couldn't understand what it was. But, it mattered little. Whatever it was, it was going to attack.
 
“Damn it!” she cursed, heading forward, “Atemu's under attack! Whatever sent those monsters before are back. Let's go!” No one needed her to tell them to move, but the urgency in her voice made them go all the more faster as the guards ran away, shocked by how quickly Sami was going. She didn't stop to look, though, nor did she stop when someone called her “Lady Sith” or “Knight Sith.” She simply kept forward, with Ryou close behind her. They all weaved through the streets, and saw that monsters, though tiny, were indeed spawning around the city. Sami angrily drew her sword and thrust any monster she saw, dissipating them instantly. Cheers erupted as people watched her fight, but she ignored them and moved onward. She heard metal clinking behind her, and saw that Ryou was also battling the monsters, as was Yami, Bakura, and Ishtar. Everyone else was trying to get ahead, having little to no actual battle experience.
 
“Why're they coming here!?” Bakura asked frantically as he banished a whole group of the little smiters to what he hoped was hell. Sami, who had quickly decided that they were easy enough for the guards to pick off, turned a sharp corner and flew into the courtyard before she answered. Her entrance, Ryou realized, looked as majestic as he had first pictured her to be when he saw her standing in her room. She did look like a knight as she leapt off her horse and slaughtered a semi-circle of creatures that had spawned around her.
 
“Because someone is targeting us again,” Sami growled, and when all of her attackers were slain, she ran directly into the palace, where she found guards and monsters locked in battles all around the hall. A demon dog spawned in front of her, but Ryou charged in and killed it before she could draw her sword. He took her wrist and dragged her with him up the stairs to the audience chamber as everyone else followed, and they found that Atemu, Sith, and Kaiba's group were waiting for them.
 
“It's about time you showed up!” Forte exclaimed as Ryou led Sami to them, “Listen, we're being targeted. I sensed another distortion of time a few miles from here. We have to get out of this time before whoever it is rips this place apart!”
 
“I know,” Sami replied grimly, “I was about to tell everyone that we're leaving, but it appears circumstance did that for me. Are we all ready?” She looked at Kaiba, who nodded and pointed to Jou, who was holding the few bags everyone had packed with supplies. Sami smiled at seeing that Kaiba was able to handle the situation.
 
“All we need to know is where we're heading,” Kaiba told her sternly, “Are we going home?” Sami shook her head as Malik flew to his machine, turning it on and marveling at how improved it was. Any pride he felt for his original design was quickly replaced with the newer model.
 
“No. We need to head maybe a year from now,” Sami replied, and when Kaiba gave her a questioning look, she added, “It's a long story, but I need to see something.” Kaiba nodded, understanding somewhat of Sami's plight. He agreed, and called everyone over, ordering each person into the machine. But before Sami climbed in, Sith stopped her, handing her a book. She looked at it with confusion, and then looked at Sith.
 
“What is this?” she asked calmly, holding the book up. It was a light purple book, slender, but Ryou could see it was filled with something. Sith smiled weakly.
 
“That is our diary,” Sith replied calmly, “I don't use it anymore, but it's filled with our childhood. Read it. Perhaps… it can help you further.” Sami blinked, unable to believe what Sith was giving her. It was a memory, and a huge compilation of them! How could she take that, even from herself? She presented that question to Sith, who laughed and said, “It isn't stealing, since you are me. Please, just read it. We need to remember who we are.” Sami nodded, and pocketed the book.
 
“I will never lose this book again,” Sami replied seriously, and with another nod from Sith, climbed into the machine. Kaiba closed the door, and soon, the machine disappeared. Slowly, ever so slowly, the monsters began to vanish, either from being killed or simply revoked. Atemu watched as Sith walked over to where Sami once stood, and closed her eyes.
 
“Never… never forget who you are. Who I am,” Sith whispered, and then joined Atemu to observe the skies for any traces of distortion as the portal that once appeared seemed to leave along with Ryou and his friends. Every monster in sight disappeared, and once again, it seemed that time zone returned to normal.
 
The machine was slamming through the time-space continuum, as though it knew the plight at which everyone had frantically entered it with. Malik had entered the correct code, but none of them knew where they'd actually end up. No one spoke at first, as anxiety gripped them all, but as the machine slowed down, their nervousness began to fade slowly. Or, most of them, anyway. Ryou knew much better than to relax, and Sami seemed on the brink of another mental breakdown. Even while holding her hand, Ryou knew he wasn't comforting her. He simply looked at everyone else.
 
“Man, you guys did a really good job of fixing up the machine!” Malik commented, “The journey was never this smooth. What did you do?”
 
“Thanks to Forte here, we were able to soften the stabilizing modules and lessen the blur as we traverse the continuum,” Kaiba replied, “When you first made the machine, you didn't check the levels of some of your internal settings. That's why the machine constantly took damage at each use. It literally crashed, and any friction blew out your sensitive core system. I upgraded it so it'd be more stable.” Malik nodded, even though he actually had no idea what Kaiba just said. Sami looked out the window, and noticed a tinking sound coming from outside, as though a very soft music was being played. It was relaxing, but somehow, it made her all the more ready to jump out of the machine. Finally, light flashed ahead, indicating that they had reached another time gate, and the machine sped up, throwing everyone into the gate. The sensation of falling off a building returned to Ryou's body, but it was incredibly short in its passing, and the next thing he knew, the machine had stopped. They had landed, and the door opened up to reveal a barren, scarred wasteland of a desert, its sky as black as night as gray clouds swirled around. Sami stepped out, unable to comprehend the sight.
 
“…where are we?” Anzu asked, as she and Yugi ran out next. Ryou came out, looking around the scene as well. All felt dead to him, and there was no one around, until he heard a sharp, shrill cry. Everyone turned, and saw what appeared to be… Sami, with her sword in hand. She looked exactly as she did now. The same sleeveless turtleneck, the same pants, same boots, same everything. Nothing had changed, though she didn't have her glasses just yet.
 
“Sith… Sith, I… I'm sorry,” Seth had croaked, looking up at her, “I know… what I said was wrong…” Sith had bent down, half her face covered in blood as she reached out and touched Seth's face. Whatever happened, Ryou knew was bad, but something else was coming, something much worse.
 
“Silence, my friend,” she said sternly, “Now is not the time. We face a stronger enemy, and unless you wish to die at her hands, we must forget all that has happened for now.” Seth's eyes widened at such a thought. To hear such a forgiving tone after waging what had been a massive war on the Espers was… comforting. He smiled.
 
“Thank you, knight,” he said weakly, “Tell me, how do…” Seth stopped speaking as the sky flashed an angry red, and silence befell the field again. Sith growled, and stood up, her sword clutched in her hand as her hair flew wildly around her, her tail lashing at something. Ryou could tell that something was irritating her, and felt an incredible wave of evil magic, so potent, he had to work hard to resist the urge to vomit.
 
“Halt your advancements at once, Rath!” Sith suddenly yelled, and Ryou heard a faint laughter that sounded particularly far away until lightning crashed onto the barren desert. Then, he saw her; a beautiful Esper with silver skin, spiky white hair, and cruel gray eyes appeared, her body covered in a dark green cloak. Her laughter became all the more real as she stopped near Sith, and as she looked at the smaller Esper, her lips curled into a cold smile.
 
“Ah, my dear cousin,” Rath started, and Ryou already knew whoever this was couldn't be trusted, “How goes the war with a country you presumably care for?” Sith growled, her wings ruffling as the wind behind her kicked up.
 
“How dare you ask that, you traitor!” Sith yelled, “You, who've caused the discord in Egypt! You, who have cost me my kingdom, dare to ask me how I fare in this barren pit, from your doing!? You have some damn nerve!”
 
“My, that's quite a sharp tongue you have, Sith,” Rath commented, and suddenly her smile wasn't so delighted, “I wonder how that scum of a father would've thought of you using such language.” Ryou snorted; from what he remembered, Sith always had a flair for cursing, whether warranted or not. Sith seemed just as amused with Rath's observation.
 
“As much as I agree that my father wasn't the best man in the world,” Sith started, a mocking grin appearing on her face, “Don't bring him up unless you really want an early grave. I'm in no mood to banter.”
 
“How funny. Neither am I,” Rath replied, and Ryou felt an incredible surge of evil again, “Flare!” Immediately, a ring of fire surrounded Sith, but a chop of her blade dispelled the magic, and her eyes widened. Ryou knew the reason why; Rath had unleashed a forbidden spell, which was the worst any Esper could have done. Just to show her wrath, Rath sent out another spell, and then another, and Sith was having increasing difficulty evading them all. Not only that, but Ryou began to notice that Rath was trying to hit many different targets at once, and now understood what Rath was truly doing; she was destroying the entire continent. But… why?
 
“Come on, Sith! You got to move!” Jou yelled, but Sami quickly stopped him.
 
“Stop,” she said sternly, “…let this unfold.” Jou blinked, wanting to protest, but he knew ultimately, he shouldn't meddle. He turned back, and Sith was currently outrunning a very strong lightning storm, which took out one of the city's defending walls. It crumbled completely, and Sith gasped as she too realized finally what Rath was actually doing.
 
“Stop it!” she shouted, “Stop this madness!” Rath, however, didn't heed her. She merely laughed as she threw a huge glaive of earth at Sith, which shattered when it hit a well instead of the fleeing Esper.
 
“Stop? You want me to stop!?” Rath asked, and laughed again, “I've just unleashed the powers of Oblivion and you'll seriously tell me to stop!? You, my darling, are hysterical! I will…” she shot another blast of lightning, destroying the city square, “…not stop…” Another flash of fire took down the marketplace, “…until I get my…” Finally, a ring of burning flames erupted at the palace, setting the banners to cinders, “REVENGE!!” Sith watched in wide-eyed horror as the palace was burning to the ground, and there was nothing she could do to stop it. She looked from the fiery inferno, to Rath, hatred burning deep inside of her as she watched Atemu's palace burn to the very ground.
 
YOU ARE MAD!” Sith screamed, as the fire illuminated Rath's eyes, “You have done quite enough! No longer! No longer can I let you continue in your madness!” Rath laughed again as Sith readied her sword.
 
“Let me continue? My dearest, what have you done to even stop me?” she asked, until she felt the earth quaking with a rage she had never encountered before. It was coming directly from Sith, and Ryou knew this was the moment Sami regretted the most. His grip on her hand tightened, and a knot formed in his stomach. Sith said the one word everyone feared to hear, and she said it with no hesitancy.
 
“Omega,” she said, and immediately, the earth shifted. Wind came to a dead halt, but then the sky literally shattered, sending a rain of crystal spraying onto the field. Terrible gusts blew, and fire raged from the city, spreading around like liquid fire into a huge pillar. Water gushed from the Nile, only to be evaporated into a red mist as the ground cracked open, heaving more and more devastation into the spell. Rath screamed as the broken sky itself drew in a mighty vortex, sending devastation to course through the already ruined lands. Finally, bursts of light exploded, blinding everyone; everything, until nothing could be seen from such a bright light. And, when it ended… Rath was still there. Sith, however, was not. Rath laughed, a laugh so mighty, that it echoed throughout the ruined desert.
 
“Ha! Haha, I say, you worthless, little maggot!” Rath laughed, “You couldn't stop me! You couldn't do anything! All you did was…!?” Rath didn't finish her sentence, for at that second, Sith came screaming down, plunging her sword right through Rath, ripping the woman asunder as though she were a simple ribbon. Black blood splashed onto the ground, and when Sith landed, she threw her sword down. The earth trembled again, and immediately, she looked to Seth. Her eyes watered with the realization that he was dead. She had killed him with Omega.
 
“No!” she screamed, running over, “…damn it! Damn it to hell, what have I done!?” She grabbed Seth by the shoulders, shaking him, “Pharaoh, please! Get up! I did not mean this! I'm sorry! I…”
 
“You have done what you could, Sith,” came a gentle voice, and Ryou saw that Sceppiro was coming out of the ruins. He was frowning, but he had no disapproval for his sister as he said, “And now, we must leave this world.” Sith stared up at him, her eyes much larger than normal at such a sudden decision. This world was a mess, and Sceppiro's solution was to leave it all behind?
 
“W-why!?” Sith asked, “Sceppiro, we can't! What of Egypt!?”
 
“That is for Bahamut to sort out,” he said, as Sith gently dropped Seth, “Sith, Rath opened Oblivion. Nesce is done for. We need to leave. We need to run before… before this gets any worse.” Sith shook her head.
 
“I can't just leave! Sceppiro…”
 
“Sith, it's for the best,” he said sternly, and turned to the ruins of what used to be Atemu's palace. He held up a hand, and quietly spoke, “And to this day, let thy race be divided to show who thy true traitors shall be. All who have followed my sister shall be graced with the name of the Chesaer, the Espers of Light. All who have sworn to death with Rath be known as Mystics, the Espers of Evil. And to this day, let it be known… that we hath forged a path that none shall ever forget. Today, we begin our lives elsewhere. Nesce will fall, but will never be forgotten, lest you reawaken this terrible war.” With that, he took Sith's hand, and his wings flapped. A portal appeared, and Sceppiro stepped inside. Sith looked down, and though she was crying, she finally went through herself. That was the very end of that, for the portal disappeared when Sith went inside. No other Espers appeared.
 
-----------------------------(End Chapter)
 
And so, after fixing the machine and learning of that fateful day that preludes Sami's arrival to their time, Ryou and his friends witness such a memory firsthand, including Sith's murder of Seth. Now, with Sith gone, and with Sami watching in stark silence, has she learned all she needed, or is there something else to enter her mind? What will she do now, knowing why she did what she had? Can they find whoever attacked Atemu's palace, and for what reason? And, can they change their future? Find out next chapter, so click that Review button!