Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ The Shadow of the Past; The Light of the Future ❯ Link and Sacrifice ( Chapter 34 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Bakura: The evil cliff hanger has returned.
 
*nods* Yep. I can still get people hooked and drive them into insanity…
 
Bakura: … Did you get insane classes with Marik?
 
Hm… Maybe…
 
Bakura: *bonks her head* Don't. I could barely handle one insane person in this crazy chit-chat.
 
Really? You like it when I'm sane.
 
Bakura: To keep things in balance.
 
*starts to tear up* Kura-kun…
 
Bakura: DON'T YOU DARE START WITH THE CUTE NICKNAMES AND WATERWORKS!
 
*smiles* Okay!
 
Bakura: *sighs* Oi…
 
Enjoy! And R&R everyone!
 
“Talking”
`Thinking'
~Place/Time~
-??? POV-
`la la la' - song(s)
^Flashback^
><><><><><><><><& gt;<><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><>< ;><><><><><><><><><&g t;<><
`Nothing's gonna stop me now tonight
Nothing's gonna stop me now
I fly for you
I'm dreaming of you
 
My heart is crying for a stranger's name
Tonight I need to play a brand new game
I know I will find you
Just look around you
 
I feel tonight that all my dreams come true
You'll never give up thinking for me too
You are the light
In this dark night
 
While the night is passing by
I'm gonna make you fly
I want you to stay by my side
 
Nothing's gonna stop me now tonight
Nothing's gonna stop me now
I fly for you
I'm dreaming of you
 
Have you ever thought that this could be
This feeling so strong between you and me
Just close your eyes
There is where love lies
 
I hope you are the hero of my dreams
Everything seems strange also for me
This can't be wrong
My vision of love'
Ch. 34: Link and Sacrifice
Shada, Kalim, and Atem were in the middle of a piano room. Atem laid on his side and looked as though he's asleep. Shada and Kalim were keeling beside either side and waited.
 
“How do we know if he reached a vision?” Kalim asked.
 
Shada shook his head, not knowing as well.
 
Then, as if a pin drop could only be heard, Atem gasped and his whole form stiffened.
 
“Shada!” Kalim called.
 
Shada nodded and placed his hands over the young man and closed his eyes to focus. `Please let this work.' He thought as he let every ounce of his power to the unconscious young man before he passed out.
 
“Shada!” Kalim called as he went over to his comrade. When he saw that the other was alright, he looked over at Atem, who looked dead to the world, but the disappearing process has ceased. “Good luck.” He whispered.
 
-Atem's POV-
I found a vision of the Pharaoh me centimeters away from kissing Yugi. `Make this work!' I thought as he closed his eyes. “PHARAOH!!
 
-Normal POV-
As soon as he shouted, he looked to see that he was in some limestone room, and he wasn't alone.
 
“Who are you?”
 
Atem looked over to see the Pharaoh version of himself. “I'm Atem, Atem Misoka.”
 
The young king was both cautious and lost.
 
“I know this is awkward, but trust me, you're not losing your mind.” Atem tried to reassure his past self.
 
“And why should I believe you?” Pharaoh Atem asked.
 
`Yep. I wouldn't believe me either.' Atem thought as he started to explain. “As you know, I'm Atem Misoka. My father was Akhenamkhanen Misoka, the same first name as your father.”
 
The Pharaoh was even more confused then before and was alarmed.
 
“Long story short,” Atem said seeing the other's reaction. `Damn, it's like looking at a mirror.' He thought as he started speaking. “I'm what others call a reincarnation of you.”
 
“Reincarnation?”
 
“Yeah, strange, I know. But since time is short, and both of us are in danger-”
 
“Of what?”
 
“You said so yourself: `The light of my soul will pass to someone else! My soul will go on and on…' Well? What happens when the soul becomes nothing?”
 
“The soul wouldn't be able to pass on.” The Pharaoh said, getting what was going on.
 
Atem nodded. “Yes, as we speak I'm disappearing because that Zorc beat you to a bloody pulp!”
 
“And how do you propose on defeating him?” The Pharaoh asked. “Because if you're truly my reincarnation, you would think of a brilliant plan right now.”
 
“I did make it this far.” Atem defended himself.
 
The Pharaoh nodded. “That you have.” He said simply.
 
Atem thought about this and started to pace back and forth in the room. `Let's see… In order to defeat Zorc… we have to have…' He thought then looked at his past version. “What about the gods? They would be a great help.”
 
“That they would…” The Pharaoh said then sighed. “But I need enough ba to sustain all three. And you well know my ba is nearly gone. I hardly have enough to keep myself alive.”
 
Atem sighed and scratched his head when he remembered something. “What did you do when Slifer was defeated, how were you able to summon Ra with such low ba?”
 
The young king blushed at the memory.
 
“What's with the blush?”
 
“Uh… Heba gave me some of her energy.”
 
“And… how? Exactly”
 
“She… uh…”
 
“We may be in different times.” Atem said with his arms crossed. “But we're both the same person.”
 
“She…” The young king started with a blush. “… kissed me.”
 
Atem blushed as well. “Alright then! We know that, but…”
 
“How's that going to help out situation?”
 
“Yeah…” Atem said as he started to pace. When no ideas came up, he growled and punched the wall. “Damn it! Yugi'll know if she were here!”
 
“Yugi?”
 
Atem, realizing what he said looked at his past self. “You call her Heba where you are.”
 
The Pharaoh's eyes widened a bit. “What? Yugi's a reincarnation of Heba?”
 
Atem shook his head. “No, they're the same person.” He said and started to explain. “Yugi has somehow been sent to your time and then lost her memory.”
 
“So, she's your girlfriend?”
 
“Ah… Well…” Atem blushed like mad. “We've been friends since we were kids… so…”
 
“You love her either way.” The Pharaoh said simply. “I can't believe how much of a moron you are. And you're my reincarnation.”
 
“Shut up! I don't need you to tell me!”
 
“Just did.”
 
“Damn it!”
 
At that moment, a door appeared.
 
“What the-“ Atem started to say when the door opened.
 
“Looks like we have to go in.” The young king said.
 
“You sure it's not a trap?”
 
“What do you think?”
 
They looked at each other before Atem grinned.
 
“Let's go.”
 
The Pharaoh grinned as well as they entered through the open door.
 
When they entered the dark room, the door slammed shut and the room brightened a little.
 
“Yugi!” “Heba!” The two said in unison when they saw the young girl floating in mid-air. (Think Aura in one of the .hack//Sign episodes) They also saw red ribbon on her left wrist, aimlessly floating. The young king was lost about the ribbon, but the young man recognized it and looked at his left wrist, where there was a ribbon, ripped in both vertical and horizontal halves.
 
“What is this?” The young king asked as he saw the other half of the ribbon on his left wrist.
 
“There's some kind of superstition where I'm from.” Atem said. “The red ribbon is always tied on the left wrist, and you have to follow the ribbon to find the other end.”
 
“The other end?”
 
Atem nodded. “When you do, you found your true love, the only person that is only for you and you alone.”
 
The young king looked taken aback by this information, but looked at his left wrist again and followed the torn end, that's floating in mid-air. “So this…” He started to say but already knew what it meant.
 
That's when the ribbon's torn ends tried to reach out. The two moved foreword and witnessed their torn halves coming together before coming up to the young girl's, where the two ends met and restored into a whole ribbon, with the exception of the still torn halves between the two young men.
 
“Now what?” The young king asked.
 
“There's a reason why we're here.” Atem said. “But what?” He put his right hand in his pocket and felt something. He took it out and saw a fold up piece of paper, no larger then a card.
 
“What's that?” The Pharaoh asked.
 
“Don't know.” Atem said as he opened the paper to find three dueling cards. “Can't be.”
 
The young king looked over and his eyes widened in shock. “The Three Gods?” He said
 
Atem ignored him and saw that the piece of paper was a picture he showed to Shada and Kalim. “Wait a sec.” He said as he looked as though he was in a brink of solving a case.
 
“What?”
 
“I'm such a moron!”
 
“I believe we covered that earlier.”
 
“No! Yugi saw this coming!”
 
“Now you lost me.”
 
Atem took a deep breath to calm down and looked at the other. “It happened a couple of years ago…”
 
^Flashback: Atem's POV^
We were still in our freshmen year, after the crazy ordeal with Duelist Kingdom. Yugi was being quiet. Some would say that it's usual for her, but to me, something was up.
 
“Yugi?” I said when we were having lunch on the rooftop. “Is there something going on?”
 
“Ah… uh, well…” She started to say with that cute little blush on her face.
 
“Got a boyfriend?” I asked, somewhat teasing and somewhat wanted to know.
 
“NO!” She squeaked.
 
“Just asking.” I said while nursing my poor ears.
 
“Sorry…”
 
“Nah! I'm the one who asked a dumb question.”
 
“It's not dumb.” She said. “You never ask dumb questions.” She smiled with that cute smile.
 
“Now you're just being cute.” We laughed on that. “But seriously though…” I said as we calmed down. “You've hardly talked to me since getting back from Duelist Kingdom. Is there something wrong”
 
“No… It's just that… I've been having strange dreams.”
 
“Dreams?”
 
She nodded and took something out of her bag. “They've been coming since we got back. Here…” She handed me a sketch book. “These are some of the things I saw in my dreams.”
 
I looked through and was shocked. I saw a strange city in ruins, the sky becoming dark and sinister, then there was a dark creature with demonic red eyes. Then I saw three huge monsters, which turned out to be the God monsters, in the picture. I kept turning the pages as if I'm piecing them together and creating a mental movie as the three gods morphed into one great god. The last page was when this one god shined away the dark demon away. “Wow Yugi.” I said. As I looked at her. “The details are amazing and you got this from a dream?”
 
She nodded. “Yes, and I don't know why, but…” She said as he took the book from me and looked at the last page. “For some reason, there's a reason for me to know this dream. As if it was some important rule of survival or something.” She giggled. “Or maybe I'm reading too much into it.”
 
Some would agree with that or call her crazy, but I thought differently.
 
“I don't know.” I said to her. “Maybe it is important to keep in mind. Who knows, maybe it could save our lives if not the world.”
 
She giggled. “As if I could save the world by myself.” She said, slightly doubting herself.
 
“Who said you should do it by yourself?” I said as I gave her a wink. “Since you told me about this, I'll be there to help you. Okay?”
 
She smiled and giggled. “Thanks Atemu-kun.”
 
“How many times do I have to tell you not to call me that?”
 
She giggled. “One too many, but I do it anyway.”
^End of Flashback: Normal POV^
 
“Well, we know what to do now.” The young king pointed out.
 
Atem nodded and handed the cards to the other who reached out, only for his hand to go through. The two looked at each other, unsure what to do at this point.
 
“It's just one problem after another.” The young king said.
 
“No shit.” Atem said with a sigh.
 
“What now?”
 
Atem looked at the cards and thought. `Why can't he pick up the cards?' He pondered for only a few seconds when he finally looked at the young girl, who was still dead to the world. `Wait! We may look fine here, but in the real world he doesn't have enough energy to even keep him alive, and I'm disappearing. In other words, he needs a borrowed energy force. Shada gave me enough to talk to him, but I have no idea how to give the Pharaoh me some of mine.' He continued to look at the young girl, who has been his best friend and recently his love interest and sighed. He placed the cards in her hand and cupped her face before leaning up.
 
“What are you doing?!” The Pharaoh asked.
 
“Giving you energy to summon the gods.”
 
“What?”
 
“Well if I can't do this with her then I have to do it with you.”
 
“You sure it will work?”
 
“Only way to find out.” Atem said as he kissed her. He felt himself being drained, but he didn't care. With that, he became a ghost.
 
“Atem!” The young ruler called seeing that the modern version became a see-through. “What are you doing?!”
 
Atem straightened and looked at the young king. “If this doesn't work, I don't know what will.” He said, which seemed to echo around the room and he began to dim. “Take care of her for me.” Were his last words before his completely disappeared.
 
Atem!!” The Pharaoh called out, completely shocked that the other would sacrifice every ounce of energy for him. He looked at the young girl with a sad expression. `If I do defeat Zorc, will the Atem from her time return?' He took a deep breath and cupped the peaceful face. `Heba… Yugi… However you are called, I hope this ends well, for your sake as well as those around you.' He thought as he leaned up and kissed her.
 
There was a bright light surrounding the both of them and the cards in her hand began to glow. And soon, the whole room became blindingly bright.
 
><><><><><><><><& gt;<><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><>< ;><><><><><><><><><&g t;<><
`If I never knew you
If I never felt this love
I would have no inkling of
How precious life can be

And if I never held you
I would never have a clue
How at last I'd find in you
The missing part of me.

In this world so full of fear
Full of rage and lies
I can see the truth so clear
In your eyes
So dry your eyes

And I'm so grateful to you
I'd have lived my whole life through
Lost forever
If I never knew you

If I never knew you
I'd be safe but half as real
Never knowing I could feel
A love so strong and true

I'm so grateful to you
I'd have lived my whole life through
Lost forever
If I never knew you

I thought our love would be so beautiful
Somehow we'd make the whole world bright
I never knew that fear and hate could be so strong
all they'd leave us were these whispers in the night
But still my heart is saying we were right

Oh if I never knew you
If I never knew you
I would have no inkling of
If our time has gone too fast
How precious life can be...
I've lived at last...

I thought our love would be so beautiful
Somehow we'd make the whole world bright
I thought our love would be so beautiful
We'd turn the darkness into light
And still my heart is saying we were right
we were right

And if I never knew you
If I never knew you
I'd have lived my whole life through
Empty as the sky
Never knowing why
Lost forever
If I never knew you
If I never knew you (oh)
If I never knew you
'