Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ With the Wind at My Back ❯ Newcomers, and Old Friends ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Disclaimer: You know what I own of Yu-Gi-Oh? Nothing. Know what I'm making for this story? Nothing. We clear? `Course we are. I mean, heck, if I owned YGO, you wouldn't laugh at me naming the kingdom "Duel."

Author's Notes: Beware falling AU! Medieval AU, at that. Forgive me, Neffie. Never meant to make you feel old. ;) Ah, well. We'll be "old" together, then. DarkGatomon, the Yamis really don't have their own bodies, even in the manga. That's only a projection of Yami Yugi (or Normal Yugi, depending on who's in control of the body at the time), not a real, tactile body. Trust me, I've talked to YGO! fans who have actually read the manga. Think about it. If Yami Bakura had his own body, he'd have killed Bakura a long time ago. And Yami Malik... Well, he really is Malik, so to speak. Yamis don't have their own bodies, manga or anime, bottom line. Also, anyone that can guess the in-joke between the Harpy Ladies' names and Mai gets a No-Prize!

With the Wind at My Back

Chapter Four: Newcomers, and Old Friends

"Are you sure I picked enough?" Anzu asked, looking up at the flowers and weeds she had picked the day before.

When Yugi had found her with her basket almost full, he'd been rather red and flustered and insisted that what she had was fine. They had gotten back to the cottage for her to eat lunch, and he and Sugoroku had hung the flora to dry. The Holy Elf used the crumbled remains for potions, was the explanation.

"It's all right," Yugi assured her, once again playing with his puzzle at the dining table. Besides the two pieces that Anzu had somehow managed to put together, he still wasn't having much luck. "She'll be happy with what you found." From Anzu's lap, Kuri trilled with annoyance. "With what both of you found," Yugi amended with a smile.

The Kuribo settled down, vindicated. Anzu scratched the creature's head, fondly. "If you're sure. I just hope I didn't pick anything I shouldn't have."

"Don't worry," Yugi waved a hand, dismissively. "Grandpa and I went through what you picked. There's nothing there that the Holy Elf won't use. You did fine."

Anzu nodded. If Yugi said that everything was okay, then it was. She trusted his judgment. Still, in all her years of being at court, she never really had many responsibilities put on her. So, doing little chores, such as picking the flowers that Yugi had asked for, made her terribly nervous. She didn't want to look like a complete fool, after all.

Kuri suddenly perked up, squealed a bit, then jumped off Anzu's lap, skittering to the front door. Anzu watched him, dumbfounded.

"What was that about?" she wondered out loud.

"The Holy Elf must be here," Yugi explained, standing up. "She tends to have that affect on other monsters. They like being around her. She protects this forest, you know?"

"No, I didn't know that," Anzu admitted, slightly embarrassed.

Yugi smiled, walking to the door. "That's okay. Most people who don't live around here don't know that fact."

Kuri was practically trying to break through the door by the time Yugi opened it. With a shriek of eagerness, Kuri ran outside to catch first glance of the revered visitor... Only to meet with an unforeseen obstacle.

"Kuri... " the furry creature moaned, as it rammed into the leg of someone a lot bigger than itself. Kuri slowly peeled himself off the offending person, and looked up, screaming in fear when cold orange eyes met his blue ones. "Kuri, kuri!" The Kuribo quickly backpedalled, running over and leaping into Anzu's arms. There, he curled into a ball, and shivered.

Anzu herself walked next to Yugi, her eyes fixed on the person in the doorway. She had never seen an Elf before, and had always assumed that they were rather small, like the Pixies she had seen around her old home. She didn't expect them to be average human height, and she definitely didn't expect them to fill the frame of the doorway like the Elf that stood before her did.

The Elf, for his part, simply stood silently, giving a curt nod to both Yugi and Anzu. Dressed in warrior's garb, he had a sword strapped to his waist, and straight, blonde hair that barely past his pointed chin.

"Swordsman," Yugi smiled, obviously acquainted with the tall monster. "I didn't think you'd come."

At Yugi's statement, the stoic look on the Elf Swordsman's face twitched slightly. "Milady hasn't been feeling very well. I thought it best if I escorted her."

"Really?" Yugi frowned, concerned. "The Holy Elf is ill?"

"I'm really not that bad," a soft, ethereal voice spoke from behind Elf Swordsman, causing the large Elf to step aside.

"Holy Elf!" Yugi beamed.

Anzu found herself staring again. The Holy Elf had blue skin, and dark blonde hair that nearly touched the ground. A white crown rested on her head, and her green robes flowed gently in the wind. Her hands were clasped in front of her, and her eyes remained closed as she smiled down at Yugi, as if she could see him clearly. She was, in Anzu's opinion, quite breathtaking.

"Swordsman exaggerates," Holy Elf said. "I've been only lightheaded for a little while. A few strong visions have pierced the veil, and I'm afraid they've made me a bit tired."

"Visions?" the boy repeated, curious. "Anything important?"

"Now, Yugi," Holy Elf clicked her tongue, parting her hands for a moment to ruffle Yugi's wild hair, "you know the future isn't something that should be casual knowledge. These visions are not something I can just share."

"I know," Yugi sighed. "Just thought I'd try."

Holy Elf's lips turned up barely, only a hint of a smile present. She turned her head to Anzu then, and the brunette felt as if the pretty monster was staring her right in the eyes, even if the Elf's eyes were still closed. It was almost as if she could see right through her. It reminded her of the King's looks. Very unnerving.

"And who's this?" The Holy Elf asked, kindly.

"A-Anzu, ma'am," the girl answered, suddenly feeling very awkward.

"Anzu," Holy Elf nodded. She then turned back to Yugi. "She picked my flowers."

"Yes. Hold on, I'll get them for you," Yugi said, not in the least bit surprised that the Holy Elf knew that. He was used to her casually mentioning things that she shouldn't know by now. All part of her visions.

He'd always wonder exactly what it was she saw, but Holy Elf never did give away much of anything. She had always told him that the future should not be told, and that being a Vision Gazer, like she was, was a responsibility even she didn't always appreciate. Most of what she saw she probably never made reference to. Only when the visions were strong and insistent did she admit at all to having them. Which meant that the visions she mentioned today were important.

Taking the last few dry petals off their hanging string, Yugi held the filled basket out to the Holy Elf. "Here you go. I think they should be enough for a week or so."

Holy Elf gripped the wicker handle, smiling. "Yes, they'll be perfect." She turned to Anzu. "Thank you."

"You're welcome," the brunette stuttered.

In Anzu's arms, Kuri finally uncurled himself to get a look at the Holy Elf. He happily trilled at the blonde monster, and was rewarded with a pat on the head.

"This Kuribo is very attached to you," said Holy Elf to the girl. "That must mean you are very trustworthy, and kind of heart. He wouldn't be near you otherwise."

"Oh, well... " Anzu looked down, blushing. "He just rather adopted me, that's all."

The Holy Elf shook her head. "It's not as simple as that. You see, Kuribo's are very sensi- Ah!" The wicker basket fell to the ground with a dull thud, dry flowers and leaves covering the floor. Holy Elf had her hands to her skull, fingers practically clawing in her hair, her face twisted in pain. She screamed again, her legs giving out from under her. It was only the Elf Swordsman's quickness that stopped her from collapsing completely.

"Milady!" Swordsman held tight to the forest protector, bending slightly to pick her up.

"There's no need for that," Holy Elf stopped him, her voice strained. "I'm... All right." Regardless of her words, Swordsman kept one hand protectively on Holy Elf's waist. Holy Elf's attention, however, was focused on Anzu. For the first time that day --for the first time Yugi himself had ever seen it-- Holy Elf opened her eyes, golden hued with cat-like pupils.
She reached out, brushing some of Anzu's short brown hair out of the startled girl's face. "You were wise to leave," Holy Elf whispered. "You were in danger there."

Anzu's blue eyes widened, her heart dropping to her feet. "What?"

Holy Elf blinked a few times, her face one of shock. Then, her eyes closed completely, and she turned away. "Yugi, I wish to speak with you outside. Swordsman, please assist Anzu with picking up my flowers."

Swordsman nodded dutifully, allowing his lady to walk out. Unnerved, Anzu watched the monster and Yugi walk into the afternoon sun.

Nervously, Yugi closed the door behind him, giving him and the Holy Elf some privacy. "There's something wrong with Anzu, isn't there?" he asked, his voice quiet, and thin.

"There's nothing wrong with her, per say," Holy Elf shook her head. "Just around her. Yugi," she sighed, "I'm not really supposed to say anything about the visions I have. I'm only to be an observer. It's not the kindest of jobs.
"But this time... " she sighed again, and placed her slender hands on the boy's shoulders. "Do you care for this girl, Yugi? Is she your friend?"

"Well, yes," Yugi nodded, worried and confused.

"I see," Holy Elf said, stroking the boy's face. "Be brave, Yugi. For both your sakes." She straightened her back, coughing a bit.

The door of the cottage swung open, Swordsman at the opening, holding the basket that was now filled again with the dried flora that had been scattered before. Behind him was Anzu, still looking a bit pale. The two Elves tilted their heads toward their host, silently bidding him good day.

After only taking two steps away from the cottage, Holy Elf stated, "Oh, Yugi? Have you made your wish yet?"

"Hm?" he frowned, not following.

"On your puzzle," Holy Elf clarified. "You once said to me you could make a wish on it, and when you finished it, it would come true. Have you made your wish?"

"Uh, no," Yugi admitted.

Holy Elf tapped her basket, not turning to him. "Try your puzzle again. It would be a shame if you couldn't put it together."

The short boy raised a brow at the remark, as he watched the two blonde monsters walk back into the forest. With the feeling of a rock in his stomach, he dragged his feet along, into the small house.

"Yugi?" Anzu said, not liking the look on her friend's face.

Without saying a word, he practically fell into his chair at the table, one hand mechanically grasping the two puzzle pieces Anzu had put together a couple days ago. He stared hard at it, almost expecting it to burn him. He had the sudden feeling of dread fill him now that he looked at his unfinished puzzle. A shame? Why would it be a shame? 'Be brave, Yugi.' Of what? Why?

"Yugi?" Anzu repeated, finally getting his attention. Worry etched her face. "Are you okay? What did she say to you?"

He didn't answer her, just turned his eyes back to the connected golden parts in his hand. His wish... He hadn't made it, yet. He had thought he'd wish for friends, real ones. And he still wanted that, even with Anzu around. Anzu... 'You were in danger there.' Where? Why was she in danger? Was that the reason he had to be brave?

His wish. Yugi decided that as much as he desired friends, what he wanted, what he truly wanted now more than anything, was for Anzu to be safe. He wanted to be able to keep her safe.

Hesitantly, he picked up a random piece from the puzzle box, and placed it with the connected ones he already held. They clicked instantly, as if something pulled them together with force. Hand trembling, Yugi held up the three combined parts, allowing the sun to bounce off them, golden beams of light dancing around the room.

"Hey," Anzu smiled, her worry fading a bit. "You did it. One more piece. You'll get your puzzle finished in no time!"

Yugi nodded, eyes still fixed on his slowly forming treasure. He somehow couldn't find the enjoyment of accomplishment that Anzu did. He couldn't help but feel that 'no time' wouldn't come in time.

***

Never let it be said that Sir Katsuya Jounouchi frightened easily. The thing about the Black Forest that made it so avoided by the people who lived around it was no so much the monsters. Yes, there were Gremlins, and Dark Necrophias. Even the occasional Gilfar Demon. Generally, however, you could avoid them during the day. No, it wasn't the monsters that made the Black Forest so distasteful and dangerous.

It was the witches that lived there.

Black Forest Witches were renowned for their use of spiritual black magic. While magicians used black magic that dealt with the physical plane, witches and warlocks tended to go into the metaphysical. Manipulating the spiritual realm was a dangerous matter, and not one that anyone took lightly. To cross someone with the power to do so, especially one as rumoredly touchy as a Black Forest Witch, could be suicidal. And painfully so.

Justifiably, this whole trip made Jounouchi rather miserable and crabby. He momentarily wondered if the king somehow knew about his hand in Lady Anzu's escape, and that this whole thing was some elaborate ruse to get him killed. Then, Jounouchi smartly decided to think about other, less depressing things.

The horse beneath him slowed a bit, neighing in objection to go any further. Jounouchi didn't blame him, but patted the stallion on the side, anyway. "C'mon, it's not that bad. You're not the one who has to face a nasty ol' witch."

That thought didn't seem to comfort the horse much, as it backed off a bit, shaking its head as if saying 'no' to the whole idea.

"Aw, c'mon!" Jounouchi muttered, kicking his mount slightly with his heals. "The king will kill me if I don't deliver this letter."

"Oh, you have a letter to deliver?" asked a husky, feminine voice. "I'll help you deliver it."

Jounouchi tensed, his hand slowly reaching toward his sword, as his eyes scanned the area. "Who's there?"

"Now, don't worry, lambchop. I don't want to hurt you." The leaves from the top of the trees rustled, and something blue and magenta swooped down from the air. It landed lightly, easily, and straightened up with grace. With a disarmingly seductive smile, a magenta haired Harpy Lady placed her clawed hands on her hips. "I just wanna have a little fun, that's all," she licked her lips, her sharp canines flashing for a moment.

The horse reared back, and this time Jounouchi didn't argue with it. In fact, as far as he was concerned, the horse wasn't rearing back quick enough. Unfortunately, Jounouchi was right, as the Harpy Lady took flight, and swooped down upon him, grabbing his armor with her hind claws, and lifting him off his mount.

To the sky they went, a place Jounouchi had never been, nor had he ever wanted to be. If men were meant to fly, they would've been born like Harpies. The particular Harpy that had him now swung him around in midair, laughing heartily as he yelled as many obscene words as he could at her.

"Put me down!" he hollered, before taking a really good look down... Way down. When had they gotten so high up? The treetops looked like grass. Jounouchi paled. "Don't put me down!"

"What was that, lambchop?" The Harpy asked, grinning merrily. "Put you down? Oookay!"

Jounouchi frantically shook his head. "Wait, wait!"

"Bye, bye!" The Harpy cheerfully said, releasing the knight as if it was nothing.

People a mile away heard the rather high pitched scream of a plummeting knight, as he spiraled through his free fall. It wasn't much the falling that really scared the Sir Jounouchi; it was the landing he wasn't very keen on. He was pretty sure that the impact would be far from pleasant, though he doubted it would matter much to him for long. As he fell, he kept arguing over whether it would be better to keep his eyes open for his last moments, or to close them. He rather not see the land right before his face crushed into it. On the other hand, he wanted to know when his end would come. Not the most envious of situations to be in.

Fortunately, Jounouchi never had to make the decision. Before reaching the treetops, his descent slowed, until he simply stopped. Even with the gradual decline, his chin still managed to hit the neck opening of his chest armor, and he flinched at the blood that dribbled down the metal. Placing a hand gingerly to his wound, Jounouchi glared at the two claw-like feet gripping him by the shoulders. He looked up, and was surprised at noticing that instead of the magenta haired Harpy Lady from before, this was a new one, with short blue hair. A little ways above the two of them was the original, long haired Harpy that had started the whole mess he was in.

"Hello," the new Harpy Lady grinned. "Has Kasaru been treating you well? She has a tendency to handle cute merchandise rather harshly."

Too dumbfounded to say anything coherent, Jounouchi just blinked.

"Aren't you cute?" said the blue haired Harpy. She gave him a little shake, and was rewarded with an odd yelp. She smiled, her fangs showing. "Very cute."

"Suzume," clucked the Harpy named Kasaru, "you're shaking him around! And here you call me harsh," she pouted, melodramatically.

"He needs a good shake, I think," said Suzume, grinning down at Jounouchi. "I think you stunned him silent by dropping him."

"Poor Sir Knight!" a new voice cried, this one much higher than the others. A red headed Harpy suddenly appeared in front of Jounouchi, startling him. She gave him a genuine look of pity. "My sisters are being mean, aren't they? Poor Sir Knight!"

"You know, he's just one of King Pegasus' slaveboys, Tsubame," Kasaru explained, frowning. "You should really stop being so sympathetic to humans like him."

"But he's scared," sniffled Tsubame, tears filling her large eyes. "Poor Sir Knight!"

"Oh, sheesh," Suzume growled, pulling herself and Jounouchi away from the emotional middle Harpy. "If it upsets you so much then we'll take him to our mistress, okay?"

"Really?" Tsubame blinked rapidly, expression hopeful.

"Sure, why not?" Suzume sighed, with a small shrug. Anything was better than listening to her older sister whine.

"Yay!" Tsubame cheered, instantly happy because of her victory.

Kasaru, as the oldest, gave her middle sister a small glare, but tried not to let the new situation affect her too much. She had already known that sooner or later she'd have to bring the knight to their lady. She'd just been hoping it would've been later rather than sooner. But Tsubame always seemed to get her way with a sniffle and a tear.
The magenta haired Harpy flew down so she was next to Tsubame, and eye level with Jounouchi, who seemed rather confused and worried. She grinned at his 'caught rabbit' expression. "Don't worry, lambchop," she cooed. "It looks like our fun for the day is over."

Jounouchi simply swallowed hard, trying not to panic too much. There were three Harpy Ladies, and they were taking him to their mistress. So, that must mean he was going to be brought to the Black Forest Witch he was ordered to give the letter to. This was a horrid, and roundabout way to achieve his goal, but at least it would be over with soon.

Of course, then the Harpy Ladies began to fly over the treetops again, reminding the knight of just where he was, and just how high up he was. And then he no longer felt the need to not panic too much. No, flying was definitely not his thing. With one eye shut tightly, and the other opened only a little, Jounouchi managed to make out how the trees began to recede, a clearing coming up beneath them, going all the way to an entrance of a cave.

Just a few feet away from the cave's mouth, the Harpies landed, Suzume dropping Jounouchi to the ground with an odd clatter of his armor. He stood up with a grunt, wincing as his bones cracked and his muscles ached in protest. Subconsciously, he edged himself closer to Tsubame, the one he figured to be the least likely to rip him to shreds if he did anything suspicious.

Kasaru turned to the cave, and called out, "Mistress, we have a visitor!"

"Oh, really?" someone asked from inside the cave. "Well, that's new."

Jounouchi felt something crawl up his spine as a dark figure made its way out of the cave. He'd never seen a Black Forest Witch. He'd always envisioned anyone with the label "witch" attached to them as being old, withered hags, with beady eyes and bony fingers that pointed with accusation at anything that moved. She'd be dressed all in black, naturally, and she'd probably be as pale as a sheet, with a pointy, sunken face.

So, with that prejudice in his head, it was no small feet on Sir Jounouchi's part that he didn't fall right over upon actually seeing the Black Forest Witch.

She was, indeed, dressed in black, though an aqua sash and an amulet shaped like an eye adorned her garments. But she was far from an old, withered hag. Young, with healthy skin and narrowed purple eyes, the Witch tilted her head, long golden locks framing a heart shaped face.

"Well," she purred, in a completely un-haglike way. "Is there something you want?"

'You,' was the first word in the knight's mind. Fortunately for his safety, he came up with a better answer. With a small cough to give him time to clear his head, Jounouchi pulled out the letter he'd been given. "His Royal Highness, King Pegasus, ordered for you to read this."

The Witch raised a brow. "He ordered, did he? Well, isn't that just darling of him?" She turned around, and proceeded to walk back into the cave. "Tell your king whatever it is, I'm not interested."

Jounouchi blinked. "What?"

"Listen," she turned to him, frowning. "I live out here because your king and your people shunned me, thinking that I was evil, and going to curse them all. And now he's going to try to order me to do something?"

Jounouchi waved the piece of paper, his face blank. "It's just a letter."

"To ask me to do something for him, no doubt," the Witch scowled, and folded her arms. "He's gotta lot of nerve. Kicking me out into the middle of nowhere, and now sending a lapdog to get me to help him."

"L-lapdog?!" Jounouchi stuttered, angrily. "Now, wait just a minute, lady. I'm nobody's puppy dog!"

"Oh?" her lips quirked. "Then, I suppose you're just his slaveboy? I always suspected he had some."

Jounouchi felt the thin string that was the leash on his anger snap. "You obnoxious hag! You have no idea what sort of week I've had so far. Lemme tell ya, it's been hell. I've been ordered about the whole damned countryside like some sort of pageboy, with both my superior and my king giving me suspicious looks the whole time!
"And then, I had to be ordered to ride out into the Black Forest, of all damned places, just to be attacked by your slavegirls!"

Just outside the cave, Kasaru bristled. "Hey!"

"And now you're telling me you don't want to read this?!" Jounouchi thrust the paper in front of the Witch's face. "You don't read it, lady, and I probably won't have my head attached to my neck tomorrow. Not that ya care."

The Witch stood silently for a minute, her purple eyes focused on the ground. Slowly, she turned her face up, grinding her teeth and clenching her fists. "Hag? You think I'm a hag?!"

"Yeah, I do!" Jounouchi snarled. "And obviously a self-centered one at that, considerin' it doesn't look like you've listened to anything I just said!"

"You obnoxious, foul-mouthed little slaveboy!" the Witch growled. "I should put your soul into a frog, so your outside would match your inside!"

"I'll go look for a frog," Suzume offered with a smirk.

"Stay outta this," Jounouchi snapped at the monsters.

"You can't talk to us like that," Kasaru said, baring fangs. "And you certainly can't talk to our mistress like that."

"Do you want us to make him go bye-bye?" Tsubame hesitantly asked the Witch. The middle Harpy had hidden herself behind her eldest sister once the fight had began, and just had her head peaking out from around Karasu's shoulder.

"Don't bother!" Jounouchi waved his hand, his expression bitter. With a grunt, he began to pratically stomp out of the cave. "I'm sure the king will make me 'go bye-bye' as soon as I get back to the castle."

The Witch watched his exit, his words stewing in her head. She felt her hands clench as her anger grew. She'd be damned before this idiot made her feel guilty! "Wait!" she demanded.

Jounouchi stopped just past the Harpy Ladies. Without turning to her, he barked, "What do ya want?"

She fumed at his audacity, and stormed towards him. "That letter's for me, isn't it?"

"Yeah." He turned his head, brown eyes narrowed. "So?"

Practically grinding her teeth, she thrust her hand out. "So, hand it over!"

He looked at her skeptically, his gaze going from her hand to her face a few times. Then, with a shrug and a grunt, he gave the letter to her. The Witch gave him a whithering look, before deftly breaking the letter's seal with a fingernail. Unfolding it, her eyes scanned the letter, her frown slowly but surely forming into a smirk.

Slipping the letter up her sleave, the Witch strode past Jounouchi. When he didn't follow her, she looked at him, her chin held high. "Well?"

Justifiably confused, Jounouchi blinked. "Well what?"

"You're going back to the castle, aren't you?" she demanded. "You can have the pleasure of escorting me."

He scowled. "The... Pleasure, huh?"

"...Or, you can always be beheaded," the Witch added.

"Dammit," the knight swore. "Fine."

"Mistress?" Kasaru looked at the Witch, questioningly.

"You three stay here," the Witch ordered her Harpies. "You'll know if I need you."

"C'mon, lady," Jounouchi said, his mood for the day all but ruined totally.

The Witch spun on her heel, walking past him haughtily. "Mai."

He arched an eyebrow. "Huh?"

"My name's Mai," she explained.

"You have a name?"

She glared daggers at him. "Doesn't everyone, slaveboy?"

His eye twitched. "Jounouchi."

Mai quirked her lips, unamused. "Jounouchi. Fine."

The knight and the Witch walked the rest of the way to Jounouchi's horse in silence. Neither of them noticed that not that far away from them, walking a different path in the Black Forest, was a stranger. Dressed in ivory and blue, the strange young man didn't seem at all uncomfortable traveling on foot in the forbidding forest. Every so often, he'd raise a hand to wipe a white bang away from his face, as his brown eyes would scan his surroundings. His brown booted feet barely made a sound as he made his way to his destination. In fact, the only thing that betrayed his location was the soft jingle the large, ornate ring that hung from a leather strap around his neck.

Stopping for a moment, he took the object and slipped it inside his shirt to muffle the sound. Satisfied that he had silenced it, the stranger began to walk down the path once more.

Next Chapter: Enter the Lord of Dragons