Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction / InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Black Widow Miko ❯ The Heirs of the Makai ( Chapter 1 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]
DISCLAIMER: “InuYasha” and “YuYu Hakusho” are far too good to be owned or created by simpletons like me. Give Takahashi-san and Togashi-san all the credit. And money. I’ll take the raspberries I deserve for messing with their characters.

talking
mental/telepathic conversations “Hiei” “Kurama“Youko
(thoughts to self)


Black Widow Miko
Chapter One: The Heirs of the Makai


(17th Century Japan)
----------------------------

In the dead of night, eight youkai, 2 humans, and one being that was something else entirely, quietly made their way into Midoriko’s cave near the demon slayers’ village. No one spoke for fear of drawing attention to their actions. They paused at the stone image of the ancient warrior priestess locked in eternal battle with a neverending mass of youkai. Slowly, reverently, the figure of a young woman separated from the group and walked up to the macabre statue. Chanting a silent prayer, she reached up, and with her hands glowing with soft pink energy, she closed the hole where Midoriko had forced out her soul. For a few seconds, the entire stone structure seemed to come to life and move, before the youkai parts turned to dust and blew away on an unnatural wind.

The priestess of legend looked down at the woman and smiled. “After all these years, you have a request. You have come for sanctuary. Let my final resting place be your haven until the time comes for your destiny to play out.” And she reached out and touched the woman’s cheek tenderly. “You have done well, my daughter.” And with those final words, she, too, turned to dust and blew away.

The woman quickly motioned for three of the youkai to stand beside her. After brief, quiet farewells were said to the others, the three youkai encircled her with their arms, as if shielding her body from view with their own as they were enveloped in a bright flash of pink light. When the light faded away, in their place stood a stone statue of three handsome young males, all with looks of adoration and determination etched on their faces, towering over and sheltering a young woman of almost unearthly beauty as she smiled at them.

Those that remained stood there a moment, then slowly turned to walk back out of the cave. One of them lingered behind, and stepped up to the statue, reaching out much like Midoriko had, to lightly touch the woman’s face. “I’ll miss you, Kagome.”
******************************************************** ****************


(Present-day Reikai)
--------------------------

“It can’t be! It just can’t be! BOTAN!!!”

Botan rushed into the office of the junior ruler of the Reikai. “What is it, Lord Koenma?”

“We’ve got trouble. BIG trouble. Get Yusuke. No, gather the whole team. Hurry! GEORGE! Where are those files?!!?” The small, toddler-like prince was pacing back and forth on top of his desk, clutching several official-looking documents in his hands.

Botan quickly left to locate the members of Koenma’s team of Spirit Detectives. It was true that Koenma had a tendency to panic, but unfortunately, there was often good cause for it. In short order, she was opening another portal back into the Reikai, and the four detectives trailed along after her and filed into her boss’ office.

“So, what is it this time, toddler? Botan said you had your panties in a wad over something,” Yusuke asked in a rather bored manner. The brash young leader of the team had been through too many perilous assignments in the past 5 years to get too excited over this one.

Koenma was now sitting behind his desk with his head in his hands. There were several files laying open all over his desk. (Why did this have to happen during my watch? For once, I wish father would march in here and take it out of my hands.) He groaned.

Botan looked at the others with her eyes wide. Koenma didn’t even seem to be aware they were here. “Um, … Lord Koenma? Yusuke and the others are here.” When the tiny administrator still didn’t respond, she walked up to the desk and tapped him on his shoulder, “Lord Koenma?”

Jumping as if he had been scalded, he yelled, “WHAT?!!?”

The pretty ferry guide stepped back and pointed at the assembled team. “They’re here.”

“Well, it’s about time!” He stomped around to the front of his desk and pointed a finger at Yusuke. “While you miscreants are lazing about, cataclysmic events are threatening the peace of the three realms!”

“What is it this time -- shadow bunnies devouring all the carrots in Kobe or 50-foot-long koi in the Misumi river who refuse to be caught by the fishermen? Wait, … don’t tell me, -- someone stole a magical artifact and we need to get it back.”

Kuwabara laughed at Yusuke’s guesses.

“Considering your position in the Makai, I wouldn’t be joking around if I were you, Yusuke,” Koenma said solemnly.

That statement caught both Kurama and Hiei’s attention. “Excuse me, Lord Koenma,” the red-haired avatar said politely, “are you saying that you called us in because of a political matter in the Makai -- something that has some bearing on Yusuke’s position as Raizen’s heir?”

After working with him for the last few years, Koenma didn’t know why he was surprised when the extremely perceptive kitsune put his finger on the matter so quickly. “Not just Yusuke’s position, since he, after all, basically declined to take over for Raizen in the Makai anytime soon, but the entire ruling structure of the whole realm is in jeopardy. We’re talking about the possibility of all-out war. Why did this have to happen now?” He wrung his hands as he paced back and forth in front of his desk.

“Would you care to elaborate a bit? You haven’t mentioned what the threat actually is, nor how this could possibly bring about disaster in the Ningenkai and the Reikai. You did say all three realms were in danger, did you not?” Kurama tried to press for details.

Koenma stopped and sighed. “I don’t even know where to start.”

“Why don’t you start with what got you so worked up in the first place?” Yusuke sat down on a small couch in the corner. It looked like they were going to be here a while. Kuwabara plopped down beside him, and Kurama decided he might as well take a seat, too, in one of the leatherback chairs off to the side of the room. Hiei just leaned back against the wall and stared at the prince.

“All right. Well, I just received a petition for permits for five youkai to travel into the Ningenkai for an important ceremony. Apparently, the time has come for the true heirs of the Makai to return, and they must be there to bear witness and to attend them.” He paused and looked around to see what their reactions were.

“The true heirs of the Makai? What the heck are you talking about?” Kuwabara asked, plainly confused.

“I am referring to the sons of the three legendary Taiyoukai. We have always known that someday they would return, but we had no idea when, or even where they’ve been. Unfortunately, it seems the time is now, and of all places, they’re in the Ningenkai. Who the hell knew?!!? Anyway, that can only mean that soon they will make a bid to reclaim their lands -- the East, the West, and the North.” He looked around again. This time he saw that Kurama and Hiei had tensed, and Yusuke was sitting up straight.

“I thought the return of the true heirs was a myth -- a legend, -- an old story told to youkai children,” Kurama commented, his statement more a question than anything else.

“It is quite true,” Koenma told them grimly. Then he hesitated. “Along with the petition for travel, the five youkai have also petitioned for permission for the heirs to remain in the Ningenkai until they are ready to make their challenges, and for protection for them and the miko with them. Once their return becomes known, they will probably be targeted for assassination. And due to the their fathers’ status, and the tremendous debt owed them for their actions during the Great Quest, we really have no choice but to grant this request.”

“Let me guess,” Yusuke broke in, “you want us to play bodyguard for these youkai legends?”

He hesitated again. “Hai.”

“You are leaving something important out, Koenma,” Hiei accused him. “The miko. She is also the one of legend, is she not?”

“So?” Kuwabara asked. “What’s the big deal?”

“The big deal,” Koenma sighed, and shuffled through the myriad of papers on his desk, “is I also have a petition, filed almost 400 years ago, right after the barriers were formed and the Reikai took over governance of such criminal matters, for the apprehension and execution of the miko for the murders of the three Taiyoukai, in the event of her reappearance.”

“Holy crap! A human priestess killed three Taiyoukai?” the toushin exclaimed in disbelief.

“Um, … if she killed all the Taiyoukai, why are their sons with her? Did she kidnap them or something? Is that why no one knows where they’ve been?” Kuwabara asked.

“The sons are with her because she is their mother,” Kurama supplied. “Correct?”

“Hai,” Koenma confirmed, squirming uncomfortably. “Rumor has it that one by one she mated and killed the three most powerful Taiyoukai ever to live, bearing each of them a son.”

“Hn. I don’t believe these so-called Taiyoukai could have been so powerful if they each fell prey to some spell that made them mate with a ningen onna, -- a miko, no less,” Hiei scoffed.

“I don’t know that she used a spell, Hiei. Youko told me a story Kuronue had told him once, about a strange young miko who helped save a koumari hanyou. He said he only saw her from afar, but that she was very beautiful and there was something charismatic about her. He heard she was the same miko who was the Guardian of the Shikon no Tama. That is the one who is supposed to be the Black Widow Miko, is it not?” Kurama asked, a thoughtful look on his face. Koenma nodded.

“Beauty alone is not inducement enough to take a ningen as a mate, let alone risk being purified in your bed,” Hiei told him bluntly.

“Oh, man! So, what are we supposed to do -- protect the sons and bring in the mother and lock her up?”

“No! We can’t just lock her up -- not yet, anyway. Her sons would likely go berserk if we even attempted to take her into custody. And there is some doubt that she did it. She still has some allies, but also powerful enemies. You will serve as protection for all of them while you investigate the murders,” Koenma informed them. “If she is guilty, then she will have to be brought in and executed.” (And I don’t even want to think about how we’re going to manage that if what these youkai say about those boys is true.)

“Excuse me, but didn’t these murders supposedly take place back in the Feudal Era? That’s roughly 500 years ago,” Kurama pointed out.

“Correct.”

“What?!!? You want us to investigate murders that took place 500 years ago? That’s crazy!” Yusuke protested. “Why don’t you just go ask them if she killed them -- you can go visit their souls, right?”

“Actually, no. Their souls vanished. That’s one of the reasons it seems likely she did it -- after all, she is a miko. She could be powerful enough to completely purify their souls.”

“Well, that’s just great. Are you trying to get us all killed?” The aggravated toushin ran his hand through his hair in frustration.

“You want to stay alive, detective? Then don’t let her seduce you into her bed,” Hiei grinned wickedly at him.

“As if. You know very well I’m not interested in any woman except Keiko.”

Koenma cleared his throat. “Ahem. Actually, in the best interests of the investigation, it would probably be a good idea for a couple of you to pay court to her. Of course, I was thinking Kurama would be the most likely one to pique her interest -- legend has it all three of the Taiyoukai were exceptionally handsome -- but in terms of potential power in the Makai, which she obviously craved, I think Yusuke should offer suit, as well.”

“No way! That dame is older than Genkai! You don’t seriously expect me and Kurama to flirt with some old hag, do you?” His disbelief was plain in the sound of his voice and the look of disgust on his face.

“Yusuke, she’s not exactly ningen, you know, and according to the retainers, they’ve been in some sort of stasis for the past 400 years. So, chances are she’s still relatively young and beautiful,” the toddler huffed.

“In that case, Keiko would hand me my ass on a platter!”

“You don’t have to tell her,” Koenma said, completely exasperated with his non-cooperative employee.

One thing Koenma had said had caught Kurama‘s attention again. “Lord Koenma, what do you mean she’s not exactly ningen? Are you referring to her longevity due to her mating a youkai?”

“Um, no. Apparently, after her own part in the Great Quest, her soul ascended.”

“She’s a demi-goddess?”

“No. She’s simply some kind of celestial being. We don’t think any additional powers were bestowed upon her. It was some kind of karmic reward.”

Well, well, well. What’s this? Koenma wants us to seduce a lethal seductress? A celestial being, no less? This could be fun.” Youko was very intrigued with the idea.

I don’t think fun is the right word for it. I don’t know if I want to go playing between the sheets with a cold-blooded murderess.

Well, I do. Besides, if the story of the Black Widow Miko and the True Heirs is true, I believe I know who she is, and I saw her once.

“What?!!?” Kurama was so surprised he nearly jumped to his feet.

“What is it?!!? What’s going on, Kurama?” his team leader asked. He had been startled out of his argument with Koenma when he heard the avatar’s exclamation.

“Youko says he saw her once, too.” Kurama was quiet for a minute, then told them all what Youko said. “It seems that he did some scouting in the Western lands when he was around the equivalent of Yusuke’s age now, and came across an enclosed garden near the Lord’s castle. Naturally, he couldn’t resist seeing if he could gain access to the castle through it,” he injected a little sarcasm in his tone. “He didn’t get more than 5 feet into the garden’s walkways when Lord Sesshoumaru himself confronted him.”

And he was a big, pompous ass -- grabbing me by the neck like that. Hmph.

“Apparently he wasn’t very happy to find him there, and threatened to kill him on the spot, but his mate stepped around a corner and he released him to go to her.”

She really was very beautiful, though he shielded her from my view for the most part, -- and she was quite pregnant. He was ridiculously solicitous of her. He changed from a great, menacing, fearsome inuyoukai to an overprotective pussycat just like that,” he snapped his fingers. “Disgusting. It would have been funny, if I wasn’t so pissed at the way he dismissed me like that.

You should consider yourself lucky -- you were trespassing on his lands with the intent to steal from him.

“She was pregnant, and the Taiyoukai didn’t want to upset her, so he let Youko go with a warning.”

Heh heh! Served the old dog right to have her turn on him like that. I heard he was killed just about a month later. Funny, I never connected him, or her, to the story of the true heirs since it always seemed like such a fairy tale. Damn arrogant hound. But he was unbelievably powerful, -- when he unleashed his aura for a few seconds there, it was almost suffocating. Of course, I was still quite young then. And I did hear rumors that she was the one who did him in -- but she was such a tiny thing, and seemed so absurdly innocent -- she waved to me as they walked off -- I never really gave it a second thought.

It’s no wonder you ended up in the form you are in,” Hiei told him in disgust. “How you managed to survive as long as you did is beyond me. You should pass on this assignment, Kurama, because if the onna bats her eyelashes at you, that damn fox is going to roll over to give her access to your soft underbelly when she goes in for the kill.

Kurama winced at the picture that flooded his mind of himself being eviscerated. “I could really do without the vivid images, Hiei.

Hn.

“So, what did she look like?” Kuwabara wanted to know.

“Youko says she was extremely petite, around Yukina’s height, which was interesting because Lord Sesshoumaru was a little taller than Youko. She had long dark hair and unusual blue eyes. She was very pretty, and she acted rather naïve. Though, under the circumstances we should assume that’s all it was: an act. He also says Lord Sesshoumaru obviously adored her and catered to her in a manner completely at odds with his reputation.”

“I’d forgotten Youko was around back then. Did he know either of the other two Taiyoukai?” Koenma asked.

Kurama shook his head. “He left for China shortly after that and lived there for about 100 years. When he returned, everyone was concerned about the barriers being set up. He didn’t hear any rumors of the ‘Black Widow Miko’ or the ‘true heirs’ until long after he’d been living in the Makai, and by then it really seemed to be just a story. He had heard of the other two Taiyoukai, but he had never met them. Oh, but he did say that Hiei was wrong about them not being powerful -- he says Lord Sesshoumaru was easily the highest S-class youkai he’s ever seen, if you could even consider him in that category. Actually, he probably would have been in a whole other class because he would have measured 1,000,000 plus.”

“Well, I’ll expect you all to study all their files carefully over the next couple of days. We have a lot to do to prepare for this. You’d better pack and make arrangements to be gone for several months.” He held up a hand to ward off their complaints. “I will try to fix it so you will each get time to visit your homes periodically. I have to get ahold of Jin, Touya, and Chuu to take over your normal duties in the meantime. And I had to let one of those youkai into the Ningenkai already to find a suitable place for them, and you, to live and train. He was interested in the Tokyo area. We will accompany them to this ceremony three days from now. After that, they’re your responsibility. I don’t want any of them -- especially the miko -- out of your sight. If we’re lucky, word of their return won’t get out until they’re ready to enter the Makai, and we know the truth about the murders.”

“Since when have we ever been lucky?” Yusuke asked.
**************************************************************** ********


(3 days later, outside of Hongu, Wakayama Prefecture)
------------------------------------------------------- -------------

“Where the hell are we going?!!?” Yusuke grumbled. “Nobody said we were going to have to hike through the Kumano Mountains to get to this place. Come on! Why couldn’t Botan just open the portal there instead of Hongu?”

“Because our youkai friends here wouldn’t tell us exactly where our destination is,” Koenma explained, obviously frustrated himself.

“Just how much farther do we have to go? We’ve been walking for 4 hours already,” Kuwabara complained.

“Quit your sniveling, you pathetic ningen. Up until now I was convinced your greatest weakness was your mind. I am truly disgusted to find out your strength and stamina are equally lacking,” Hiei sneered at him.

“Listen here, runt! Just because your puny little body gives you the energy of a hamster doesn’t mean …” Kuwabara stopped his ranting and glared at Yusuke and the three strange youkai who were laughing.

“Don’t mind us,” a tall, slim, red-haired kitsune waved a hand at him, motioning for him to continue. “Your bickering just reminded us of times long ago. And a little entertainment always makes a journey pass more quickly.”

Hiei narrowed his eyes at him. “Don’t expect us to entertain you.”

“I’m sure Shippou here didn’t mean it like that, Hiei,” Kurama said, trying to ease the tension that had been present between the two groups ever since they met in Koenma’s office that morning.

“Hn.”

“Since we have already traveled this far, surely you can tell us where we are going now,” Kurama directed his question to Shippou, who was the only one of the five to talk to them at all.

“I suppose it wouldn’t hurt. We are going to a small village called Kakuremichi.”

“Hidden Path? That’s a strange name for a village. Is it because it’s so far out here in the woods and mountains?” Yusuke asked.

“Not exactly, though that’s what most people believe,” Shippou grinned mischievously.

“You’re being rather mysterious. Then again, if three youkai legends are going to reappear there, I guess it’s a pretty mysterious place. Can you tell us about it?” Kuwabara chipped in.

“Hai. But what shall I tell you first? That the inhabitants of the village have been guarding them all these centuries in secret? That they are direct descendants of two of my dear companions from the Great Quest? Or perhaps, that they practice Shugendo?” Shippou glanced around at each of the detectives.

“The Way of the Mountain? You’re saying it’s a village of Yamabushi? Why would demon slayers stand guard over youkai? That’s crazy!” Koenma yelled. “And why have I never heard of this village before? I‘m supposed to have records on all the Yamabushi, just in case any youkai slip the barrier. We‘ve actually used their services once or twice, without them knowing, of course.”

“Of course,” Shippou said sarcastically. “The reason you don’t know about this village is because they didn’t want you to, but I wouldn’t call them Yamabushi, if I were you -- they prefer to be called Taijiya.”

Kurama looked lost in thought for a few minutes. “They prefer the older description of their profession? As I recall, there was a female demon slayer who accompanied you on the quest. So, I assume the other companion you are referring to was the Buddhist monk, correct?” At Shippou’s nod, he continued. “Ah. I am beginning to understand the history of this region now. I had always wondered how a predominantly Shinto area came to be known as the secret refuge of the Buddhist Paradise.”

“I have no idea what you’re talking about, Kurama. Care to explain?” Yusuke demanded.

“Here in the Kumano Mountains stand the Three Grand Shrines. It is believed that if a worshipper prays at all three of them, he can attain salvation and enter paradise without having to die first. Hongu is the site of one of the shrines: The Kumano Hongu Taisha. The spot where they had Botan bring us to was the original base of the shrine. The buildings had to be relocated after a great flood in the late 19th century.” He turned to Shippou. “The original location of the shrine was your landmark, wasn’t it, to find your way to the village?”

“Hai. And we should arrive in about another half hour,” Shippou informed them. “Our escorts are just ahead.”

“Escorts?” Kuwabara had no sooner asked the question before two shadowy figures suddenly appeared 50 feet in front of them, causing Hiei to pause and grip the hilt of his katana while Kurama and Yusuke stopped walking and tensed as they assessed the newcomers. But the two figures simply stood still and let the group of detectives and youkai approach. Shippou walked ahead of everyone since he was the only one to have made contact with any of the Taijiya from this village in the past 400 years. When he had been granted permission to find a place for them all to live and train, he had first come here to see them and reassure himself that they were still all right.

The detectives studied the two Taijiya carefully. They were dressed in sleek, black, formfitting uniforms, complete with vibrant red armor padding. The taller of the two had an ancient-looking hiraikotsu strapped to his back, while the shorter one carried a long pike. Both men wore their long, brown hair in ponytails tied high on their heads. Shippou walked up to the two men and bowed in greeting. They returned his greeting, and then the taller of the two embraced him and slapped him heartily on the back. “It is a great day for a great event,” he said loudly.

“I agree, Denjiro. Please, let me to introduce everyone,” the kitsune said.

The shorter man stared at them suspiciously. “We know the ones who should be here. I am uneasy allowing the Reikai into our affairs.”

Denjiro clapped him on the shoulder. “Now, now, Michio. We have already met about this and agreed. Shippou here vouched for them. And you know he wouldn’t bring anyone here who would harm them.

Michio turned away. “We should get going.”

Denjiro just shrugged his shoulders at them and waved them on. “Well, let’s go then.”

As they walked along, Shippou introduced everyone. It was obvious that Denjiro was the only one who was going to tell them anything, so Kurama moved up to walk alongside him and Shippou, with Michio leading the way. Yusuke also came up to join the friendlier demon slayer. “So, Denjiro, why don’t you two look like the other Yamabushi I’ve seen pictures of? I thought all slayers had to shave their heads, and that they wore loose, flowing tunics and hakamas. I’ve never seen any with that kind of uniform or weapons before.”

Denjiro laughed heartily. “Well, my friend, that’s because the Yamabushi you’ve seen are merely watered-down versions of the true Taijiya. Their villages originated after the barriers were formed. Kakuremichi was the last village of true demon exterminators. We are the only ones who truly know the Way of the Mountain as taught by our ancestors.” He thumped his chest proudly. “We are the only ones who know the truth about the splitting of the three realms because of the great duty that was entrusted to us. Ha! Those weak, would-be slayers couldn’t take down a D-class demon with their shabby swordsmanship and smelly incense. All they’re good for is ceremonial cleansings of bad spirits and posing for the “fashion don’ts” pictures of Japanese culture. They’ve become more like Buddhist monks than slayers. Hell, everyone should know if you want to kill youkai, you’ve got to get yourself some real weapons, like hiraikotsu here.” He patted the giant bone on his back. “And it takes a lot more than a little meditation and prayer to rip out the black hearts in most youkai. Present company excepted, of course,” he said, slapping Shippou and Kurama on the back, and causing them both to stumble a bit.

Hn. Nice friend you’ve made there. Aren’t you glad he doesn’t want to rip out your black heart?” Hiei couldn’t resist saying.

He is a bit boisterous, isn’t he? And with his cocky attitude, he’s a strange mixture of Yusuke and Chuu.

He is correct about the traditional Taijiya, though. He and his friend are wearing uniforms very similar to those from the days before the barriers. Back then, demon exterminators were deadly opponents. Even though they were ningen, they trained hard and pushed their bodies to unnatural strengths. That hiraikotsu could slice a C- class demon in half if wielded properly, and could probably inflict fatal damage on a B-class one, too. But the main reason slayers were so dangerous back then was their knowledge of youkai. They studied youkai customs, family structure, physical strengths and weaknesses. They combated them with strategy and poisons as well as excellent battle techniques. I am interested to see just how much of that knowledge they retain in this village.

Michio turned to look at them. “The village is just ahead. We will go to the headman’s house, and he and the miko will lead you to the cave. Do not go roaming around the village.” And he continued on.

Denjiro cupped his hand beside his mouth and whispered loudly, “Don’t mind him. He’s cranky because he hasn’t been laid in eight months. He’s got his eye on our village miko and she won’t give it up.”

Shippou and two of the other youkai started snickering. “That sounds familiar.”

Hiei arched a brow at Kurama as they entered the village. The houses were modern enough, but small, and the entire village seemed to be set out just as it would have been 500 years ago. The headman’s house was at the back of the village in the center on a slightly elevated piece of land. When they reached it, they found the man was already waiting outside the front doors. He wore a traditional formal black kimono. Next to him stood a tall, slender girl in traditional miko garb.

Shippou stepped up in front of them and bowed low. “We are grateful for your vigilance and care.” He stepped aside and a tiny flea youkai took his place, also bowing low. “The House of the East in is your debt.” Next, a kappa youkai came forward and did the same. “You have the gratitude of the House of the West.” Finally, two wolf youkai stepped up to pay their obeisance. “The House of the North pledges continued loyalty to you and your descendants.”

The headman bowed to them in return. “We are honored to have been entrusted with this great service these many centuries. And I am grateful to have lived long enough to see this day.” He gestured for the miko to precede him, and with a bow, she began to lead the group down a well-worn path going out of the back of the village. As they neared the cave, the detectives tensed in apprehension to see rows of Taijiya wearing their full uniform with groups in red, blue, and brown armor standing in formation at each side of the mouth of the cave.

Fox, there is a barrier at the cave’s entrance.

Yes. And it appears to made of holy energy. It’s very strong, too, -- I don’t think any of us, save Kuwabara, will be able to enter.

The miko stopped in front of the cave and bowed down to pray. The barrier became visible and shimmered with a pink light. As she continued to pray, four symbols began to appear on the ground directly in front of the barrier: an arrow surrounded by pink flames, a massive red sword, a blue crescent moon, and a giant brown clawed fist. Each of the youkai quickly stepped up to the symbols and knelt down, placing a hand over the appropriate one -- Shippou at the arrow, the flea at the sword, the kappa at the moon, and the two wolves at the clawed fist. Materializing in place of each symbol was a golden chain with a large pink jewel shard. As the youkai picked them up, the barrier vanished.

The miko stood and walked into the cave, followed by the headman, the youkai, Koenma, and the Spirit Detective team. They came to a halt in front of a stone statue of four figures. Everyone stood in silence for a few minutes, then the miko and the headman stepped aside. The flea demon hopped up to the figure of a male standing to the right of the woman with one arm around her shoulders, and his other hand gripping the hilt of the sword at his waist.. Placing the chain around the male’s neck, he announced, “Daitano, son of the Taiyoukai Inuyasha, master of the great fang Tessaiga, House of the East.” The shard around his neck began to glow.

The kappa walked up to the tallest male, who stood at the woman’s left, also with an arm around her shoulders and his other hand touching the third male’s back. Placing his chain around his neck, he declared, “Eishumaru, son of the Taiyoukai Sesshoumaru, master of the fangs Tenseiga and Tokijin, House of the West.” That shard began to glow.

The wolves stepped up to the third male, who stood facing the woman, with one arm at her waist, and the other on the first male’s shoulder. As one of them put the chain around his neck, the other one proclaimed his identity and heritage,” Sassouta, son of the Taiyoukai Kouga, master of the Goraishi Claw, House of the North.” When his shard started glowing, they stepped back.

Shippou was the last to approach the stone figures. He walked around and stood behind the woman. In a low, clear voice, he presented her to those assembled, “Kagome, True Guardian of the Shikon no Tama, Lady of the East, West, and North, Celestial Liaison to the Three Realms.” The last part of his announcement drew a gasp from Koenma. When he placed the chain around her neck, his brushed his fingers across her cheek. “Welcome back,” he whispered.

As he walked back to the others, the glow from the shards had become a blinding pink light, that grew until it encompassed the statue. It began to swirl around the figures until they were completely hidden from view by a sparkling tornado. Then, as quickly as it had appeared, it was gone, and in the place of the stone figures stood ones of flesh and blood.

“Holy crap, kaa-chan! That was one hell of a spell!”
--------------------------------------------------------- ----------------------------------------------------

Daitano - the next bold generation
Eishumaru - great and valuable ruler
Sassouta - dashing and great
Denjiro - good ancestors
Michio - man of the way
Kakuremichi - hidden path
Shugendo - The Way of the Mountain (describes the practice of demon slaying)
Yamabushi - demon slayers (with Buddhist leanings)