Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction / InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Par Tout Autre Nom ❯ Chasing Sunlight ( Chapter 34 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Disclaimers: Inuyasha and Yu Yu Hakusho belong respectively to Rumiko Takahashi and Yoshihiro Togashi.

A/N: -mutters- They're attacking me again… Ah well, I can't say I'm unhappy about that, and this is definitely a good spot for this, so I can't exactly complain. Things are starting to unravel, ne? More answers and more questions, but we all know that eventually something's gotta give or it just wouldn't be a good story! -innocent grin- We'll just have to see what happens.

As ever, I must step back and offer profound love and adoration to my reviewers and all the hysterical (and often crazy) things you say to me. I have a great time reading each and every one, especially when you tell me favorite parts and things like that. ^__~ You're fabulous, and you're the best, but I know from the reviews that you want me to stop talking and get on with the story, so enjoy!

<~*~*~*~>

By Any Other Name

~Chasing Sunlight~

Kurama closed his eyes, savoring the silky texture that greeted his fingertips as he let out a low sigh and carefully blocked out his other senses to make the most of this frozen moment. His heartbeat grew loud in his ears, blood moving thick and heavy in his veins as he whispered to his soul not to rush through something so very intricate and beautiful as that shivering response his touch alone was inciting.

`Slowly,' Youko touched the tip of his tongue to an elongating fang, sliding his hands down into Kurama's to mingle their souls in perfect harmony at that point.

Every time you say that, Youko, Kurama couldn't help the faint smile that curved his lips under the coaching, colors dancing behind his closed lids as he twisted his fingers in an ancient, timeless pattern with expert precision. And have I ever let you down?

`Perhaps the first time,' Youko chuckled softly. `But you are an apt pupil if nothing else… Just as hungry for knowledge and perfection as I am in all regards. Even if you argue with me needlessly over things like this that we both know will bring us pleasure.'

There are times it's more a habit of arguing than intending to disagree seriously, his head dipped, allowing his ears to bring them the faint rustle of the wind to mingle with each twitch and pulse beneath his hand.

Their skin grew incrementally warmer, welcoming the coolness of the predawn breeze against their neck as the light gust grew strong enough to momentarily lift the heavy curtain of blood-red hair away from it. Only to feel an involuntary gasp rise from their throat when slender fingers insinuated themselves into the thick mass, gliding through it almost reverently and sending a rolling shudder down their spine when just the tips of those curious fingers grazed a line down his back.

"You make it difficult to concentrate when you do that, Kagome," Kurama breathed out, a note of teasing sliding into his voice.

"Do you want me to stop?" the smile carried into her voice, painting the expression for his mind when he refused to open his eyes and see it for himself, reluctant to detract from the exquisite sensitivity of his others senses.

"No," his lips pulled back in a smile as Youko tilted their head to keep them in the path of those hands as long as possible, breathing out a wordless encouragement to repeat the action when the last of his hair slipped away from her.

"But you said it was making it difficult for you," Kagome chided even as he felt her lift his hair with first one hand and then the other, sinking her fingers into it deeply enough again that the caress touched his spine.

You have no idea, his hands lifted, curling into fists as he shifted his weight back onto his haunches and tilted his head back as far as it could go only to let out a startled shout when she suddenly gripped his hair and pulled to arch his body until he was staring at her upside down.

Kagome giggled at the look on his face, rising up on her knees and peering over his shoulder in amazement at the path of new growth that had flourished before her eyes under his graceful hands, "That's incredible, you know…" It felt… gods, that was so hard not to sink into that feeling! It's like the ground was purified, back to the way it was in Sengoku Jidai before humans lived here. Unaware of the way her eyes turned liquid with emotion as her lashes lowered, her lips parted in unconscious desire, I wanted to taste it…

`She can't possibly understand how difficult she is making this decision of yours to only be playful when she is looking like that at our work,' Youko growled softly, turning their head as their muscles tensed to hold the awkward position and reaching out to cup her face as he stretched up to press a soft, open-mouthed kiss to her parted lips before reluctantly pulling away from the urge to turn into something more.

But the blush that covered her cheeks and the searching look she sent them when they drew away had Youko's lips spreading in a truly wicked smile of appreciation inside the safety of their mind.

"All you have to do is ask, Kagome, and I'll be happy to do this for you," Kurama murmured, sliding his fingers through the grass and smiling at the way the simple action drew her eyes almost longingly to it as the double-meaning hung heavily in his mind. This and more to make you mine. "Since you value my skills in this regard so much more than anyone else I've come across in this time."

Kagome let out a sound somewhere between regret and amusement, shaking her head as she leaned around him without a single thought to the intimacy that innocent showing of trust projected when her hand came to rest on the ground beside his, "I may not be the best miko that ever existed, Kurama, but I know what purity feels like… and I know when the ground is crying at what it has been forced to suffer."

Youko blinked, his expression softening and curious at once as his head tilted to one side, "Crying…? Yes, it-" `It does cry, but… how would she know that?'

She slanted him a look that clearly said she understood his confusion, but the smile just as easily showed that she wasn't about to satisfy it any time soon, "Are you hungry?"

There were a hundred different answers to that question clamoring in his head, and he was absolutely certain she could see them pass through the piercing gaze he focused on her, but he forcefully held Youko back and murmured a vague, "Starved." She can take it how she likes it, Youko, but don't push. Look at how unguarded she's being with us already. I told you… spontaneous and charming. Kagome wants someone to play with her, someone she can have fun with.

`I'm restraining myself and you know it,' Youko muttered sourly, never taking his eyes off her as she sat back and grabbed the bag holding the breakfast bentos they'd picked up from a small vendor's stand on the way to the park. `She's not exactly making this decision easy.'

I'm fully aware of that, Kurama scooted over to make more room for her when she gave him a nudge with her shoulder and habitually started to spread out the boxed meals to offer one to him. Little kisses like the other one are all right, but let's not overdo this yet. Treat this like a first date. Slowly.

Youko snorted, leaning them back in a much more relaxed position as Kagome handed them the take-out cup of tea, `That's a joke, right? None of your "first dates" were anywhere near as peaceful or enjoyable as this, and I never wanted to do half the things to those pathetic humans that I want to do with this one.'

This was a good idea, wasn't it? Kurama was preening, breaking apart his chopsticks and carefully rubbing them together to smooth away any splinters as Kagome did the same.

`So was letting her pick the food,' Youko admitted grudgingly, absently letting their gaze dart around the tree-shrouded grove to ensure their safety before frowning when they caught Kagome doing the same. `Hmm…'

You're just happy she eats the same way we do, Kurama scolded him at the memory of how pleasantly surprised they had been to find her just as picky as they were. Yet even as he teased his other half, his own eyes were focused on her as well, sharp and calculating at the little things… Those subtle, telling things about her behavior that had been overlooked so easily when they were lost in the collected actions of the group around them. She was relaxed, and yet- she wasn't, She's alert. The same way that we've learned to be.

`Is she so accustomed to being attacked then?' Youko tilted his head to one side, stealthily flicking his wrist to catch a portion of rolled egg from her box when he let out a surprised yelp to feel her chopsticks smack against his fingers.

Kagome gave him and arch look at the attempt, pointing at him sternly with her utensils-turned-weapons, "You have yours."

"But yours looks more appealing," Kurama tried his damnedest not to laugh with Youko pouting and whining in his head about her `counter-attack,' but he could tell from the sparkle in her eyes that not only was she faking her anger, but he was failing in his endeavor.

"You're as bad as Shippou," she clucked her tongue, picking up the piece he'd tried to take and popping it in her mouth out of spite -Youko was sure- before she winked at him. "Ask next time, Kurama, that might get you better results."

"Is that so?" one eyebrow lifted at the challenge in her tone, and he carefully schooled his expression into the most humble look he could manage, pressing his hand to his heart and giving her a greatly exaggerated, half bow. "Then… would you find yourself so moved by pity to share with this poor, hungry, unfortunate kitsune, my dear miko?"

`You forgot handsome.'

Obligingly, he responded lightly, "I am also handsome."

Kagome burst out laughing, finding an errant image popping into her head of little ears poking through that fantastic hair and flattening back to complete the "I'm-too-cute-to-resist-and-you-know-it" expression while those eyes seemed to collect the meager pre-dawn light and turn them positively luminous in the exact same way Shippou had done since he was a kit. "How your kind does it, I'll never know, and I don't think I want to," she finally managed to say as she wound down, shaking her head at the tactic but still obligingly lifting a piece of her own breakfast up to him to reward that creativity of that `show.'

That was, without a doubt, the most shameful thing we've ever done, Kurama leaned forward, holding her eyes with his as he accepted the bite of omelet, making sure to lick the empty tips of her chopsticks before returning to his previous position.

`Indeed… I'm so proud,' Youko's chest puffed up at his words, laughing in delight at seeing the color chase across her cheeks again before she tried to hide it by going back to her food. `And she's still using them…'

We've kissed her openly, Youko, in public, and she's responded, Kurama pointed out, slanting her warm looks in the comfortable silence as he let her have a moment to recover her composure while he basked in his success. I don't think she's bothered by the prospect of a second-hand kiss at this stage of our courting.

`Those other times we caught her off-guard and dragged her into it,' Youko wasn't about to let his observation be spoiled, turning up his nose as he continued. `This time, she's not even touching us, but she still offered us food from her chopsticks and is still putting them in her own mouth. You have to admit that's a good sign.'

It's a good sign, Youko, Kurama admitted with a small smile, helplessly amused that the notorious thief was actually prodding at him to get affirmation over such a thing. Especially to humans.

`Should we ask her about her husband?' Youko made a sound of consideration before shaking his head to answer his own question. `No… no, that might put us back. It'll be better if we keep it to ourselves that we know until she brings it up herself, then we can tell her we already knew and it didn't change our feelings. She'll like that.'

Kurama nodded, catching her eyes the next time she snuck a look at him through her own hair and smiling as he lifted a piece of fish towards her to see if she would return the intimacy. He could have crowed with triumph when she ducked her head, blushing yet again, but shifting her weight to lean and let him feed her in return.

`I have an entirely new appreciation for human customs,' Youko let out a heavy sigh, closing his eyes and breathing in that soft, entrancing scent they could only catch when they were so very close to her.

Oh? Kurama made the inquiry for clarification absently, much more focused on keeping Kagome's eyes on his face again as he slid his chopsticks out of her mouth slowly, dragging them across her lower lip and bringing them straight into his own mouth to lick them clean without bothering to pick up anything new.

Youko let out a low appreciative chuckle, `As you are so proficiently demonstrating, the subtleties that one can use are so much more expansive. This is more erotic than my other experiences that involved food and we aren't even touching!'

It's fun, isn't it? Kurama grinned widely when she caught the way she was still staring at his lips and muttered a few curses under her breath, turning her back to him to finish eating.

`Most definitely, now finish eating… I want to get her in our lap by the time the sun comes up,' Youko nudged him none-too gently, tail flicking back and forth at the clarity of that image in his own mind.

Kagome snuck a look back at him over her shoulder when he didn't press her right away, relaxing slightly when she found his eyes closed and head tipped to sip from the tea in his hand, taking advantage of the moment to glide her eyes over the flawless planes of his face and down the line of his throat, I must be crazy… playing such games with a kitsune, but- He's doing this for me. And I… I'm enjoying this, with him. Being alone and sharing food, that kiss…

She stopped herself, turning back to stare down at her empty box as she took her lower lip between her teeth and thoughtfully rested her chopsticks against the same spot, I barely know him, but I want him to kiss me. Everything in me wakes up and reaches for him, not even with-

Kurama's hand on her cheek snapped her out of her thoughts before she could finish that, her eyes darting up to meet the soft emerald close to her own when she felt his thumb lightly tug her lip free, "Such a tender thing to be treated so harshly, Kagome."

Except that this time, instead of the blush they had been expecting, Kagome closed her eyes and let out a subdued laugh, reaching up to curl her fingers around his wrist even as she was setting the chopsticks and box aside. The next time her eyes opened they seemed to spear right through him, plainly showing her confusion and- yes, that was longing! -all rolled into one as they searched for some hint to his own feelings, his motives, "What am I going to do with you… Youko Kurama?"

A curl of warmth slid down into the pit of their stomach at the way their names rolled off her tongue, brushing it aside to be examined later as that hand made its way back to her nape and used his thumb against the base of her skull to turn her face up when he shifted closer. There were words that flitted rapidly through his mind, a wealth of things he could possibly say to what he instinctively knew had been a mostly rhetorical question, but finally they gave up on finding any that wouldn't sound contrived or shallow.

And settled on dipping their head to draw her into a soft, undemanding kiss with only that single hand and his lips in contact with her body.

Kagome barely caught herself from falling over backwards with just how rapidly her body went cold, and then hot when she found herself a victim of that skilled mouth yet again. Except this time… this time he was being gentle, almost tender as he carefully traced her lips with the tip of his tongue, never crossing that barrier as he slowly increased the length between breaths and varied the angle until he could press a lighter kiss to her cheek or jaw before returning to his main objective.

Her resolve was slowly crumbling along with her balance, the hold she still held on his wrist tightening the longer he continued. There were moments, brief flashes really, when his lips were so soft and coaxing that memories broke through her careful barriers, flooding her mind with thoughts of Miroku and the poignant emotions that went with them… but then he would change. There was a heat behind Kurama's touch, an urgency to him, a sort of- of raw hunger that radiating from his body to her soul that had never been there between her and her husband.

Where Miroku had always been careful and solicitous, Kurama was all passion and consuming need; which was not to say that intimacy had been `strictly business' between herself and the monk, but still… there was something here.

Something she had never tasted before.

Kagome's eyes opened for a moment, taking in the closed eyes of the kitsune in front of her as her own flashed darkly under the unfamiliar onslaught of emotions making her body sway towards him, crying to her in its desire to greedily soak in more. All of it, everything her starving body could pull from and more… but he was holding back this time. Was he actually waiting for her to give permission?

Her brows furrowed slightly at the thought, finding herself growing more and more unsatisfied as he danced just at the edge of bringing the kiss to what she truly wanted, only to draw back at the last moment and start the cycle over, He's… he's teasing me.

`Dammit, Kurama, we can tease her after we're on better terms! I want to kiss-!' Youko very nearly threw his hands up in his frustration until Kagome's free hand slid into his hair and tightened into a fist, cutting off whatever the kitsune might have said as she pulled him down at the same time the she slanted her mouth over his and rather forcefully deepened the kiss herself.

Well-?

`There are times my love for you is immeasurable,' Youko obligingly dipped his head in respect for Kurama's tactic before taking over their other arm and winding it tightly around Kagome's waist the drag her up into their lap just the way he wanted.

Slowly! Dammit, Youko-! Kurama started, only to cut himself off when Kagome moaned into his mouth and tightened her hold in his hair to the point that he very nearly winced.

`You were saying?' Youko was the one purring smugly this time, sliding their fingers up under the edge of her shirt to trace the waist of her jeans.

Shut up and keep kissing.

`I thought so.'

Blissfully unaware of the byplay flitting through her partner's head, Kagome was sinking rapidly into the flaring heat of his kiss when she felt his arm snake around her back and lift her with effortless ease to straddle his lap just as he let out something close to a growl and slid his tongue across hers, Okay, so, definite yes on the permission thing. Good gods, is this just a kitsune skill?! How does he make me feel so much, so quickly? Why do I need to touch him so badly that it feels like I'll break apart if I don't?

`If she uses her teeth like that one more time, I'm not going to be held responsible for my actions,' Youko warned when Kagome caught their lower lip in her teeth and bit down just enough to cause a sting before lightly sucking at the minor injury to soothe it away, causing an answering pull in the pit of their stomach.

Kurama turned his hand up, digging his fingers into the muscles of her lower back and pressing them together tightly as he freed his mouth and yanked her forward for a much more aggressive kiss, parting her lips with his tongue to savor how she melted and let them in, We should stop soon.

`Fuck that noise.'

Really… do you want to have sex here? In the open? Where anyone could interrupt us? Kurama inserted each new question with a harder edge each time he felt the kitsune gearing up to answer.

`Adds a certain spice to it, don't you think?' Youko tried to sound as innocent as he could manage with the way he drew their hand around to stroke across the shivering muscles of her stomach, smiling at the way they contracted even more before those clever fingers were back up under her bra and testing the weight of her breast in his palm.

The sun will be coming up in a minute or two, Kurama tried to sound determined through the soft groan that made its way out of his own throat when Kagome's back arched to bring her into tighter contact with him.

`Good for the sun.'

Do you want to risk her having second thoughts or do you want her to be thinking of us and wanting us to finish what we started? Kurama knew there was a slightly desperate edge to his voice as their thumb slowly brushed over the hardened peak, nipping at her lip to keep her close when she twisted under that caress as though uncertain to whether she should be pushing into him for more or pulling away.

`You're one to talk… pulling tricks like that when you want me to calm us down,' Youko growled out irritably, but Kurama could tell from the way his head was clearing that the kitsune was reasserting his phenomenal control.

If we don't stop now, we won't stop, he regretfully slid their hand down to curl over her hip and started to draw back before he lost the paltry resistance he had left.

`Dammit all to hell and gone,' Youko took over in a split second, covering Kagome's mouth in a perfectly devouring kiss that was all unchecked emotion and dominating lust for a moment that seemed to go on forever, yet was achingly brief at the same time before he lifted their head and blew out a heavy, shuddering breath. `You owe me,' he muttered a few choice curses under his breath, taking advantage of the daze that last kiss seemed to have put his miko in to lift her up and turn her until her back was molded to his chest, one arm winding tight around her waist, and resting his chin on her shoulder as he waited for her to recover.

Of course… a well placed nuzzle with a nip or a lick thrown in here and there for good measure definitely extended that timeframe enough to mollify his strained temper.

To say nothing of the way his hand had slipped down the front of her body, resting low and possessive against the concave surface of her stomach, stroking his thumb mindlessly back and forth as he sighed and carefully tucked her deeper into his embrace, "The sun is rising."

"Sun?"

Kurama's lips curved in a warm smile at the confusion in her voice, unable to resist catching her earlobe in his teeth for just a moment, tugging lightly before sliding his tongue across it and whispering to her, "You were annoyed with me, remember? Because the sun wasn't up yet?"

"I might have forgiven you," Kagome forced herself back under control a breath at a time, pulling the seeping, greedy threads of magic back into herself where they pooled and wove themselves undetected through the kitsune-cleansed foliage. She could feel herself melting back into his embrace, but for the life of her, she just couldn't remember why it was she was supposed to be pushing him away as she let the contact soothe her senses in ways the kitsune probably didn't understand.

He blinked in mild surprise when he felt her hand come up to cover his, thinking she was about to pull it away when her fingers simply threaded with them before letting his palm rest undisturbed against her again. His mouth opened, a question hovering on the tip of his tongue before Youko closed it quickly with a negative shake of his head, `Don't.'

What? Kurama frowned at the kitsune's uncharacteristic call for silence.

`Look at her face, Kurama,' Youko scolded with a note of disapproval. `Let her have the memory she's seeing, I'm content for now to be the arms she'll wake up in and the one she turns to for comfort while we replace them with new memories.'

You're sure changing your tune, Kurama bit the inside of his cheek, but sighed and unfolded his legs to make more of a cradle for her body, glancing behind him to find a tree before making a motion with his head that spread the roots into a more convenient position to pull her back into.

`I told you that finding out she has been in love makes things different,' Youko huffed, lifting their other hand to slide his fingers through her hair, pulling it out from between their bodies to drape it over her shoulder. `Some things we can take quickly, other things with more care. We need her to love us… to need us, Kurama, to crave only us. That means we have to become more in her eyes than her past.'

Kurama lapsed into silence as they both turned that over in their mind, sighing deeply in approval as Kagome slowly relaxed and leaned back to drape herself against him, bumping the top of her head against his jaw lightly as she shifted to fit them together comfortably, I like how she feels against us.

`Like she was cut just for us,' Youko nodded his agreement, moving their hips to deepen the "cradle" and settle her down to be surrounded by their body before looking up at the lightening sky. `She's more than we could have dreamed of finding in this ridiculous realm.'

He laughed softly, squeezing her when he felt her curiosity and shaking his head to show her that it wasn't anything she should be concerned with, Hiei's right… we're obsessed with her, Youko.

`I stand by "fixation," at least for a little longer,' Youko sighed, turning to look at her thoughtfully as he watched the way the pinks and yellows of dawn painted over her classically pale features with glittering eyes. `I'm not ready to admit to more.'

Kurama arched an eyebrow, It's not like you to back down like that.

`It's also not like us to push things aside rather than examine them for what they are,' he turned around the accusation with a pointed look, reminding him of the strange reactions and fleeting thoughts they had purposefully ignored rather than pick apart the way they normally would have done the instant they had them. `Or did you actually think that I was going to let you get away with hiding that under being "spontaneous?"'

He tried to turn his mind stubbornly away from the perceptive eyes of his other half, jaw tightening when Youko merely arched an eyebrow at the ridiculous attempt and waited for a response, What do you want to hear?

`That you understand why I'm not inclined to casually toss out a label for my emotions towards our little lover,' he folded his arms over his chest in a particularly regal action, winding his tail around his own waist in a gesture meant to display he was feeling guarded. `The situation is already unique… it has been since the beginning. I am simply… unsure as to how to approach it as it becomes moreso. But leaving her to another is unacceptable.'

You don't think that's obsessed? Kurama questioned softly, relaxing a little to realize that both sides were again in agreement over this matter. You feel it too, don't you? That calmness we get when she's in our arms like this? That sense of contentment we've never quite pinned down no matter what we've tried?

Youko shook his head, sliding back down firmly in their body and holding her close as he ignored the accusations.

Youko-

`I said I don't want to think about it right now,' he growled back in a dark, flat tone, burying their face against her hair to use chasing that elusive scent as a distraction to his discomfort.

Kurama blew out a heavy sigh, closing his eyes when he felt Kagome's hand come up and slide into his hair, gently massaging his scalp as she turned and lightly kissed the corner of his mouth, "You're upset."

"It's nothing that you should worry about, Kagome," he let out a soft, warm laugh and leaned up, bringing up the hand not on her stomach to brush his knuckles across her cheek even as they silently marveled over her ability to read their mood. "I'm just frustrated with things I can't control."

Her lips kicked up in an understanding smile and she leaned back into his chest, tilting her chin down as her own eyes drifted closed again, "You know… someone once taught me that there are times when you don't have to be thinking of anything at all. Times to just sit and think of absolutely nothing except the things around you from moment to moment. The wind, the ground… the sun."

"Meditation," Kurama's lips curved up as he slipped through his list of her acquaintances and finally settled on Sesshoumaru being the one most likely to teach her something the required that kind of focus.

"In a way," she nodded in acknowledgement. "But… he was right, and it makes for less headaches when things get too intense."

"Is that a hint, little lover?" Kurama could feel Youko's lips tugging up in a reluctant smile at the feel of her elbow coming back to nudge his stomach, his temper calming under the playful curve of her lips.

She twisted to smile up at him, the sun breaking the line of the trees just as she opened her eyes to meet his and nearly making him jerk back at the way the angle made her pupils almost nonexistent, that inhuman blue almost seeming to glow in the reflective, piercing light, "Dawn is intense enough without adding unnecessary thoughts."

Kurama was practically frozen, transfixed by that unreal sight even as Youko was lifting their hand to cup her face, tilting their head and letting their hair spill down over his shoulder to mingle with hers. His eyes intently searched her own, memorizing the play of light and color with the deep knowledge hovering below the surface, "How are you human?"

Youko! Kurama hissed at that softly breathed question, biting his lip when he saw Kagome's expression change to something unreadable. You're going to upset her after we made such progress!

`I need to hear this.'

Kagome's eyes studied his for a moment, trying to see past the shadows being cast by his bangs as her hand lifted to absently stroke along his forearm soothingly, He is… unsettled. Is he…? No, he can't tell. "Just born that way," she offered quietly, turning her gaze out to the sun as the blinding light momentarily made it difficult to see the buildings, and she changed the subject with a wistful sigh. "It's beautiful, isn't it? You can almost pretend it's nothing but forest as far as the eye can see when the sun first comes up."

Kurama's eyes stayed on her profile, watching the glassy look enter her eyes, taking in the very deep, very real longing in her voice as she whispered that impression with a sense of confused awe, I… don't know what to say to that.

Youko gathered her up higher against him, lifting her as he slid their legs closed and let her straddle their lap as he dipped his head to whisper in her ear, "More beautiful than I expected it to be."

Kagome blinked in surprise and leaned to be able to turn enough that she could look at his face as his eyes flashed gold with the light, finally letting out a soft laugh and brushing his hair out of his face just to watch it fall back, "Shinju's right… you're a smooth talker of the highest caliber."

Kurama's eyes widened, but just as quickly settled into a more at ease expression with the return of that light-hearted humor as he pasted on a hurt expression, "Kagome, you wound me."

"Mm, if I `wounded' you, you would know it," she poked him in the chest, pulling out of his arms and rolling to her feet with a fluid grace that bespoke years of serious dedication to learning just how to move her body. He watched her attentively as she linked her fingers in front of her and lifted her arms straight up over her head, arching her back in a lengthening stretch that filled the stillness of morning with the faint pop and grind of bones releasing their stiffness before her eyes turned uncertainly in the direction of her shrine.

"I have utmost faith in your destructive capabilities," Youko smoothly inserted as he pushed them up, liking the way she lost her focus on the distant point to turn to him. The way she had to tilt her head to look up at them as it gave her a more vulnerable appearance, particularly the way it exposed the line of her throat to the finger his was using to trace up the line of her pulse, `That's right, little lover, stop thinking about being away from us. Your family can survive a morning without having you directly under their hands.'

Kagome laughed, reaching up to catch his hand and take it away from her skin before she did something stupid, "Coming from a youkai who has never seen me do anything of that nature, that's quite a leap of faith."

He shook his head, using her hold on his hand to lift them up at eyelevel as he took it in both of his and traced the shape of her fingers in a slow caress, "I can see it… in your hands."

"My hands?" the urge to jerk it away way there, but he seemed to sense it, gripping her wrist and turning it palm up as he pressed a lingering kiss to the highly sensitive skin there.

Youko smiled darkly when he felt the shiver move down her arm just from that, tracing the lines in her skin with the tip of his tongue to draw her attention away from ending their morning date the way he could see her guilt was pushing her to do. He ignored Kurama demanding to know what he was doing, the hissed insistence that he stop, and cracked one golden eye open to watch the way her lips parted when he expanded the path of his tongue up along her middle finger. Her eyes darkened almost to violet as her breath came out in a low, controlled exhalation that told him louder than words that he had been right about her hands being as erotic for her as they were for him, bringing a smug smile to his lips as he nipped that same finger before lightly sucking the tip and moving on to continue his exploration.

"Kurama," her voice had a note of pleading, whisper soft and moving through his senses like a caress all it's own, but with a note in it that suggested she wasn't exactly sure what she was asking him for.

He slowly laced his fingers through hers once he'd momentarily satisfied his compulsion to introduce his soul to each of those delicate lines and the unique flavor of her skin, pulling her forward to whisper in her ear with perfect seriousness, "Do you have any idea how much I love your hands?"

Hands, Kagome stared up at him, unaware of the flush that had risen in her cheeks that had nothing to do with embarrassment as she let herself be drawn in by those gleaming eyes, predatory eyes… Out of anything he could have said… he picked my hands? Does he… is he really serious about having something deeper? Maybe it's just his fetish. Shippou has that bizarre thing with collarbones-

"Ah, so here's where you ran off to," Hiei's voice had their heads snapping up to where the hybrid was smirking down at them, crouched on the lowest branch above them and obviously delighted that they'd been so wrapped up in their little drama that he'd managed to sneak up on them. "I wondered why Takashima was running circles around Yuusuke's house at such an ungodly hour of the morning."

Kagome smacked a hand over her eyes with a groan, even as Kurama made a motion with his hand that had the tree throwing Hiei off violently, "Oh shit, I forgot… I promised him that I'd spend the day with him after Sesshoumaru left to hear his reports from the other branches."

Hiei twisted around to land with perfect ease on the other side of Kagome, using her as a shield against the anger he could see burning in those gold eyes, and folding his arms behind his head with deceptive carelessness, "If I found you, he's likely not far behind."

`You little bitch, you led him here!' Youko hissed out and tried to push past Kurama's control to wipe that smirk off the hybrid's face. `You knew I was having a private moment with Kagome!'

I suspected, I wasn't sure, he shrugged in a blasé fashion, curiously watching as the empty miko brushed past them and painstakingly gathered up everything they had brought to the park before carting it to a waste bin and throwing it out. Cute, she's a neat-freak like you are when it comes to outside, he ducked under the kick Youko managed to sneak under Kurama's hold and aim at his head, turning around just in time to see a blur dart out of the trees and crash into Kagome, hoisting her up with a shriek.

"SHIPPOU!! DAMMIT, you're not Kouga-kun, put me down!" Kagome twisted her legs around and somehow managed to wrap them around his chest only to fling her entire weight into yanking them backwards, bringing the younger kitsune crashing hard to the ground on his back while she bounded to her feet and glared down at him. All so quickly that if they'd blinked they would have missed it, "MOU!"

Youko broke into delighted laughter while Kurama continued to stare and even Hiei was blinking as he put that attack to the image of the small, `not-so-good' miko he had formed in their interactions, `See? Are you ready to believe me yet? Gods, that was beautiful! Let's go kiss her again!'

Kurama blinked and recovered, eyes softening as he watched her toss her hair back over her shoulder in a strangely imposing motion, reaching out a hand to help a loudly protesting Shippou to his feet only to swat him on the head as soon as he was up, Well you certainly bounced right back from your hissy-fit.

`You can't keep a kitsune down any longer than he wants to be down,' Youko nodded, eyeing the pair of them speculatively when Shippou gave her a deep, obviously apologetic bow and straightened, rubbing the back of his head with a rueful smile as they shared a few more soft words.

Hiei shook off his surprise and frowned, raking her body appraisingly, A human should not have the strength to throw a youkai his age in such a way.

Taijiya lines, Hiei, you know they have ways of training that make such things possible, Kurama reminded him, tired of being excluded from the conversation and striding across the grass, nearly laughing when Shippou tensed at his approach and put himself in between them. "A little late for that, don't you think?" he taunted smoothly.

"It's never too late to save my sister from your presence," Shippou's lip curled in distaste, the growl vibrating in his throat as his eyes flashed a deeper warning.

Before Kurama could respond to that, Shippou let out a yelp and bent over backwards from the hold Kagome had on his hair, giving him a dry look from that position and making the older kitsune chuckle at her method of gaining attention, "I've had a lovely morning, Shippou-chan… are you trying to spoil it for me?"

I'm starting to believe that this might actually be the one human female who could possibly bear you a child and not only retain her sanity, but actually manage to control the psychosis it will, no doubt, inherit from you, Hiei grudgingly admitted when Shippou balked, but still muttered out his assurances that he wasn't planning on making the morning difficult.

`She's a natural with them, isn't she?' Youko purred out warmly, drawing their eyes back to her hands and taking a moment to relive their activities before Hiei cleared his throat to remind him that he was picking up anything that spilled over and didn't appreciate it.

You were licking her hand? Hiei arched an eyebrow.

`She liked it.'

Last time you tried that she wanted to take your head off, he reminded the kitsune in a sardonic tone.

`It's all in the delivery,' Youko turned his nose up arrogantly. `We have had a very good morning with our lover, and more importantly, she has had a very good morning with us as well. We fed each other breakfast, then we fooled around a little until the sun came up and watched it together.'

Kurama had to bite his tongue against the urge to laugh at how proud of himself the kitsune sounded when he'd been the one arguing about the merits of his plans up until things started to go well, We like being alone with her, even if nothing is being said or done. That's what we wanted to find out this morning.

Youko carefully shielded his mocking, `Is that what you're telling yourself to make it more productive?'

There are times I like you better when you're annoyed and giving me the silent treatment, Kurama hissed at him.

Testing compatibility beyond your lustful obsession? Hiei snorted, oblivious to their byplay as he glanced at Kagome again when she released Shippou and ruffled his hair before giving him a hug that had the smile right back on his face as though it had never left.

It helps to know that we actually like the soon-to-be mother of our children outside `lustful obsession,' as you so crassly put it, Kurama sighed and gave the hybrid a pointed glare.

So you're finally admitting it's extended beyond a fixation? he smirked and turned a triumphant look at the scowling kitsune.

I am not obsessed, I am merely making sure that all ends are covered before proceeding, Kurama insisted stubbornly.

`Liaryou admitted to me you thought it had reached-'

I don't care if Hiei can't hear that, Youko, knock it off, Kurama bit out, folding his arms over his chest as he caught Shippou's eyes. "Is there a reason you're interrupting, kit?"

Shippou turned, winding his arm around Kagome and pulling her up against his chest as his lip curled up off purposely visible fangs for a moment, "Nee-chan's mine for today, she already promised. We have to visit ancestral grounds and pay our respects."

"Is that so?" Kurama's brows lifted curiously as he felt Hiei's interest perk as well.

"Alone," Shippou emphasized with a tone that didn't leave the slightest room for negotiation. "This is more of that stuff where if you follow, you're in breach of contract, and you'll be banished from the Western Lands, understood?"

Kagome rolled her eyes, "If you two are finished polluting the air with enough testosterone to kill a hoard of virgins, we can handle this much more conveniently."

Did I mention that I decided to like this empty miko? Hiei maintained his outward bland expression, but Kurama could hear the snickering loud and clear as it echoed through his head at the chagrined expressions she had so easily put on both their faces.

Drugged and naked in Kurabara's bed, Hiei, Kurama shot him another quelling look that was predictably ignored. I can make it happen.

Shippou was pouting as she extricated herself from his hold, folding his arms over his chest and glaring off to the side in a pose that she attributed solely to one bad-tempered hanyou, "Ch."

Ignoring him, she reached out and absently took Kurama's hand, drawing him out of his staring contest with Hiei to look down at her inquiringly, "I did promise, and we do have serious work to do today, so he's right. But I'm glad I came out to breakfast with you, and you were right, we can have fun together."

Youko was in danger of cracking a rib if his chest puffed out any more, or at the very least going over backwards with the way he had gone into what Kurama recognized as the kitsune as his arrogant best.

Kurama tried his hardest to block out the amusing image as he tugged Kagome forward, winding his arms around her waist and fitting her up tightly against his chest to murmur in her ear, "I did promise I'd make it up to you, remember? And I always keep my promises, Kagome."

She returned the embrace with a hard squeeze, stretching up on her toes to press a kiss just below his ear and whisper to him again, "What am I going to do with you, Youko Kurama?"

That was enough to pull a widening smirk from his as well, eyes flashing gold as he leaned down to return the favor as he held Shippou's gaze and offered a response to that question this time, "You could fall desperately in love with me and agree to bear my children."

Kagome laughed and pushed out of his arms as she felt the prick of tears against the back of her eyes, forcing nostalgic feelings down as she turned a dazzling smile up at him and stepped back into the protective hold of the younger kitsune, "No rush, Kurama… but I'll remember that."

Shippou muttered a few curses under his breath, lifting Kagome onto his shoulder unresisting this time, his rollerblades appeared in a puff of smoke as he leapt easily to the cement path winding back towards the city to push off and get a comfortable distance between them and the grinning kitsune, "Nee-san, don't make such rash statements before you talk to me about them. He thinks you're encouraging him."

Kagome sighed, propping herself up to watch Kurama's still figure until Shippou rounded a bend to put them out of sight and took to the trees for a faster route towards their forestland, settling in for the ride as she murmured thoughtfully, "That's just it, Shippou… I think I am."