Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction / InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Through Hell and Back ❯ Hell and Hope ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 3
Hell and Hope
Hiei supported Yukina's head with one arm, tilting her head back and pouring the noxious liquid down her throat with the other. Almost immediately Yukina's labored breathing even out, and a touch of color returned to her cheeks. Hiei continued to hold onto her, and after a few minutes, her eyes opened slowly. There was an audible sigh of relief from Kagome, but Kaede remained on edge, and Hiei refused to relax until she did. Yukina's eyes blinked a few more times before focusing on Hiei.
“Mr. Hiei!”
“How are you feeling?”
“Oh, much better. I'm sorry if I worried anyone.”
A small smile of relief tugged at Hiei's lips, but was quickly defeated as Yukina's expression darkened and her body tensed. She grabbed at Hiei's clothing, clenching her teeth and eyes tightly. After a few moments her body relaxed again.
“Are you alright?”
“Yes, I…” Yukina's words were cut off by a whimper as another wave of pain crashed through her body.
Hiei shot a worried glance at Kaede for an explanation, but his attention was quickly diverted back to Yukina as her whimpers turned into screams. Her body tensed with pain, sweat soaked her hair, and her eyes glassed over, filled with unshed tears.
“As I feared, the creeping poison was too advanced in her bloodstream.” Kaede explained.
Kagome watched in horror as Hiei fingered his sword. “You're certain there's no other treatment?” Hiei demanded.
“Not that I know of.” Kaede replied solemnly.
Hiei drew his sword preparing to kill his sister out of mercy, but was stopped by Kagome's plea: “Stop!” Hiei glared back at her. “What about the atokata blossom?”
“Aye, that would work, but it's so rare…”
“How rare?” Hiei asked.
“It grows only in the 8th level of the underworld. It blooms only once every seven years, with three buds. I would need only one bud, but the odds of finding it, and it having blossoms is nearly impossible.”
Another scream was forced from Yukina.
“Do what you can for her pain,” Hiei ordered, re-sheathing his sword, “I'll be back with the flower.”
“Wait!” Kagome called as Hiei stalked hurriedly out the door. “I'm coming with you.”
“I don't need a human woman slowing me down.”
Kagome cocked her head to the side. “Wait, I'm confused, is it that I'm human, or a woman that you object to?”
Hiei growled in frustration. “Whichever part makes you ask stupid questions.”
“I might be able to help you.”
“He's right, child, it's too dangerous for ye. The underworld would suck the life from your body.”
“Youkai barriers are supposed to do the same,” Kagome reasoned, “and my priestess powers protect me against that. Isn't there a good chance they'll do the same in the underworld?”
“A good chance? You want to risk your life on a good chance? It's beyond me how you've managed to stay alive this long, no wonder there are so many people protecting you.” With that Hiei dismissed the idea and her very presence as he turned and resumed walking toward the well.
Kagome gave an angry growl before making a haughty announcement: “I'm going, and you can't stop me!”
“Wait, Kagome!” Kaede pleaded, as she struggled to follow the two power-walking youths. One fueled by the desire to escape, the other determined to follow. “Even if the powers protect ye, they may run out eventually, the 8th level is quite a trek.”
“I'm sorry; I've made up my mind.”
“Then wait, both of ye .There are some things ye should know.”
They both stopped reluctantly.
“At no time during your stay should ye eat or drink anything of the underworld.” Kaede warned, “Ye must also never sleep, and remember, nothing there can be killed, but if ye die in the underworld, thy spirit shall be trapped there. Ye shall see other living spirits there. Those who have one way or another been brought to the underworld before death. Most are harmless; however, ye should not talk to them or try to help them.”
Kagome nodded her understanding.
“Hn, is that all?” Hiei asked impatiently.
“Aye.”
“Come on then, we're in a hurry.”
Kagome smiled to herself as Hiei acknowledged her presence.
“Be careful, Kagome!” Kaede called as they disappeared down the well.
“You could've helped me out, ya know!” Kagome yelled after struggling out of the well.
“Why should I? You're the one insisting on tagging along. I prefer to work alone.”
“Why are demons all so rude?”
“Why are teenage girls all so annoying?”
“Hmph!”
“Hn.”
A moment of silence passed between them, and Hiei found himself admiring Kagome's features.
She's feisty, I'll give her that.
“I suppose if I leave you behind you'll just try to follow me?” Hiei asked.
“Mhm.” Kagome replied with a stubborn smirk.
“Hn. Fine.” Hiei said, and Kagome let out a small squeal of surprise as he grabbed her and slung her over his shoulder. “This is the only way you'll be able to keep up. I'm not about to be blamed for the death of a priestess who foolishly followed me into the underworld.”
Kagome nodded as she gripped his clothing, even though Hiei's strong arms held her securely in place.
“Make any short jokes and I'll tie you to a tree in the middle of the forest and leave you there.”
Kagome laughed nervously. “Wouldn't dream of it!”
With that they were moving. Everything disappeared into a confused blur of shapes and colors. Hiei's movements were faster, smoother, and more graceful than Inuyasha's by far, but Kagome's memory still conjured up the feel of silver silken strands against her palms. The feint smell of dog, and earth filled her nostrils. The coarseness of Hiei's cloak against her skin felt eerily similar to the robe of the fire rat, and for the briefest of moments she clung not to a short form clad in black with the most peculiar spiked hair, but to a tall form dressed in crimson, with waves of silver spilling down his back.
Kagome was unaware of the small whimper of longing that escaped her lips until she heard Hiei's voice: “Everything alright?”
“Yes, I'm fine.”
She's lying.
After a quick detour to Genkai's to leave the jewel of ages ring in her safe keeping, they reached the small tear in the barrier that still remained after the spirit detective's had exhausted themselves repairing the larger holes, Hiei stopped, dumping Kagome un-ceremoniously on the ground.
“Ouch! That hurt, ya know!”
“Last chance, are you sure you want to come?”
Kagome met Hiei's serious, questioning gaze with one of determination. “Yes, I'm still going.”
“I warn you now. If I have to choose between you or the plant, the plant is my first priority.”
“I know. I would expect nothing less.”
“Hn.”
Even as she followed him through the barrier, Hiei questioned the conviction behind his words.
Once they were inside, Hiei took a moment to feel out Kagome's energy. “It seems you were right. Your energy is draining much slower than an average human's.”
 
”Excellent, then let's get going!”
Hiei nodded, glad that Kagome felt the same sense of urgency as he did.
Every second that ticks by for us here Yukina is suffering.
They hadn't progressed very far beyond the barrier, when a dense mist and a foul odor overtook them. Kagome wrinkled her nose. “So this is the underworld. Smells like it could use some soap.”
“Get used to it. This is only the first realm. The smell gets worse the further we go.”
“Lovely.”
Once they broke through the mist, Kagome let out a gasp and inched closer to Hiei. Everywhere they looked, ghostly beings wandered aimlessly. The dead look in their eyes left Kagome feeling unsettled.
“All these people…” Kagome's eyes landed on several children, and she gasped, “and children.”
“This is limbo. Souls of those who align themselves against spirit world are banished here.”
“But children?”
“Humans dating all the way back, further even than your feudal era, have long made deals with the lords of the underworld, bartering the souls of their first born children in exchange for some sort of personal gain.”
“I always thought those were just stories…” Kagome said, trailing off at a loss for words.
“Hn. What's the matter, can't believe humans could be so cruel?”
“It's not that, it's just…” Kagome's voice cracked and Hiei saw the faintest glimmer of tears on her cheeks.
Her heart is far too soft to be walking through hell
Hiei let out a low growl. “Go home, onna; this mission is not for you.”
“What? No, I'm staying with you.”Kagome's tears were replaced by that determined look that Hiei was fast becoming a slave to.
“Come on then, we have a long way to go.”
They walked in silence for nearly an hour before Hiei stopped.
“What is it?” Kagome asked.
“A barrier. We've reached the limits of the first realm, but there's no telling where the gate is.” Hiei looked both directions, seeing the barrier spread far out into both horizons. He released a frustrated growl. “I don't have time for this.”
Kagome studied the barrier for a moment, before raising her hand to touch it. Hiei gasped when her hand passed through the barrier as if it wasn't there. “Take my hand.” Kagome said.
Hiei nodded, grabbing her hand and they both stepped through. “Your sacred power is truly amazing.” Hiei conceded.
“Told you I could help.” Kagome teased.
Again they came upon a thick mist, and when they stepped through it emerged in pure darkness. Rain poured from the sky in torrents, and the thunder was a deafening, endless growl. The wind was so fierce it nearly knocked Hiei over, and its chill cut to the bone. The frequent brief flashes of lightning were such a blinding contrast to the darkness that it hindered more than aided their sight, not allowing them to acclimate to either.
Hiei felt Kagome grip his cloak for stability. “How are we going to find the next barrier if we can't even see?” Kagome yelled over the fierce voice of the storm, yet were it not for Hiei's demonic hearing; he wouldn't have heard a word of it.
Hiei slipped his cloak off and wrapped it around Kagome's shivering form. He then slipped one of his belts from his waist, tying one end around his wrist, and the other around Kagome's. His Jagan opened slowly, and his voice inside her head answered her question:
“We can't afford to be separated. We can communicate telepathically. I'll let the jagan be our eyes.”
Kagome nodded in response and tugged the cloak tighter to her, bracing herself as they walked against the wind.
********************************************************
The wind slowed their progress, and they were both soaked with the barrier nowhere in sight.
Hiei had felt Kagome's mild shivers turn into violent shuddering over the last 30 minutes. He knew her body was getting weaker.
“Hurry up, Onna, why are you slowing us down?”
“I'll be alright; my spiritual energy is weakening, is all.”
Hiei grabbed the pendant from his pocket and slipped it over Kagome's head.
“This should help.”
“Thanks.”
It was another 20 minutes before Hiei finally saw the barrier. Upon spotting it, he grabbed Kagome and sprinted for it. His usual speed was easily cut in half by the wind, but they still reached the barrier within minutes.
“Okay, you first.”
Kagome nodded, taking Hiei's hand and leading him through the barrier. Once they were through the thick mist, they were greeted this time with a bitter cold. Kagome's trembling intensified.
Wet and cold, not a good combination, we've got to find someplace warm. Hiei thought as he untied the belt from his wrist.
Hiei was thankful that this realm provided more light than the last as he searched their surroundings. A shriek from Kagome prompted Hiei into a battle stance, sword in hand. “What? What is it?”
“There are faces!” Kagome exclaimed, pointing at her feet.
Hiei squinted, and there beneath the surface of the frozen slush were the faces of souls, both human and demon. “Hn.” Hiei said, re-sheathing his sword, “Gluttonous fools, trapped in this freezing filth for all eternity.”
“So, these souls, they were sent here for eating too much?” Kagome asked, disbelieving.
“Not hardly.” Hiei scoffed. “Only those who devour beings with souls, not to sustain life, but for pleasure end up here.”
“Okay, so I understand the demons then, but what about the humans?”
“There are cannibals among humans, are their not?”
“Well, yes, but there's so many!”
“Some demons are also considered a delicacy in the human underground.”
“That's just sick!”
Hiei smirked as Kagome's angry tone was eclipsed by her shivers.
“Let's get warm.” Hiei announced drawing a gasp from Kagome as he once again threw her over his shoulder. She was getting used to his speed, but she felt the cold down to her bones. Hiei stopped when they reached a giant cliff-side. He wasted no time blasting a cave-like hole in its side. Once inside, Hiei manipulated his darkness flame to burn in the back corner of the cave. He then took his cloak from Kagome and held it near the flames to dry.
“Well that's handy! That would've been nice back when we were searching for the jewel shards.”
“Hn. I don't normally use it for campfires, but it will do to get us dry.”
“Right, sorry, thank you for the rest.”
“How long will it take you to get warm? I can't have you getting sick and slowing me down.”
Hiei allowed himself to sit, as he continued drying the cloak. Kagome studied his face, noticing how tired he looked.
His demon energy is being affected as well. The pull on my energy was getting stronger the deeper into the underworld we traveled. This pendant was protecting him.
“Do I have something on my face, or is your brain frozen?”
Kagome huffed in response, “I guess in fire demons the heart is the first thing to freeze.”
“Damn, and to think I was actually trying to behave.”
“No matter, I'm used to dealing with crass demons.” Kagome's voice was teasing, but her eyes took on that sad look yet again. A few moments of silence passed before Kagome started digging around in her backpack and pulled out some granola bars, handing two to Hiei. “Here.”
“Hn. At least the load I've been carrying wasn't a total waste.”
Suddenly a shrill beeping sound filled the makeshift cave. Hiei pulled the communication mirror from his pocket with an annoyed expression. “What?” He barked as he flipped it open.
“Hiei?” Hiei's expression softened as he saw Kurama's staticy form in the mirror. Of all his teammates Kurama was the only one that didn't completely annoy him.
“What is it?”
“We're in the underworld. If it's at all possible we need you to meet us.”
“Why?”
“Kuwabara's pendant needs to be recharged. He's losing energy quickly.”
“What realm are you in?”
“The second, nearing the boarder of the third.”
“I'll meet you at the barrier.”
“Alright.” With that the line went dead.
Kagome had already slipped the pendant off and handed it to him.
“I'll be back as soon as possible. Stay here.”
Kagome nodded. “Be careful.”
Hiei was gone too fast for Kagome's eyes to follow.
 
 
Japanese Words:
Onna-Woman
Atokata-Shadow