Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction / InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Through Hell and Back ❯ Happy Endings ( Chapter 8 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 8
Happy Endings
Kagome sat on a fallen log near the bone-eater's well, clutching a white cloth belt in her hands. It was dark, but the silver moon light filtered down through the tree leaves, causing a patchy illumination in the forest around her. Kirara slept curled up at her feet, snoring ever so slightly.
She ignored the approaching steps behind her, recognizing them as Sango's. The other woman sat down next to her and handed her a cup of tea.
“How's Yukina?” Kagome asked, never taking her eyes from the well.
“Sleeping peacefully. Kaede says she'll make a full recovery.”
“That's good.”
“Kagome…it's been over 24 hours…don't you think that…”
“No!” Kagome interrupted, “I'm going to wait here until I get word either way.”
“Alright then.” Sango said standing and making a silent retreat.
***********************************************************
Kagome had fallen asleep on the log, and she was dreaming again about Inuyasha's rejection, except this time in her dreams Hiei was there for her to turn to. Tears slid down her cheeks at her bitter-sweet dream, and she could almost feel Hiei kissing them away.
“Tears don't become such a pretty girl.” The husky voice her dreams had conjured sounded so much like the real thing that her heart gave a little thrill at hearing it.
Then a hand was at her back, shaking her gently awake. Her eyes opened slowly and staring back at her were the most beautiful pair of ruby eyes she'd ever had the pleasure of gazing in to.
“Hiei!” she exclaimed, wrapping her arms around him in a tight embrace. “You came back!”
Hiei didn't waste any more time on words. He could think of only one thing, the thought that kept him going through their tiresome battle with the dragon in the underworld. The thought that helped him break the hold the evil spirit had on his will, the thought that kept him from losing all will to live as he was put into one of Mukuro's healing tanks, the pain of which was double that of receiving the injuries. Now it would be more than a fantasy. He pulled her to him, kissing her deeply. Her soft lips felt far better against his than even his imagination had promised. He went on kissing her until finally she had to break it, gasping for air.
***************************************************************** ***
It had been nearly a week before Yukina was back to full health, and they were all celebrating with a picnic at Genkai's. Keiko and Yukina were giggling and splashing in the lake, Yusuke and Kurama were locked in an intense sparring match, and Shizuru and Genkai were on their fourth staring contest. With all the excitement, Hiei found he was content leaning up against the trunk of a large oak, Kagome sat beside him with her head on his chest as he absently ran his fingers through her hair. Kagome had been much more content since Yusuke had assured her that a rescue team had been deployed to the underworld, and that Inuyasha would be living out the rest of his days in spirit world, with no memory of his time in hell. He was nearly asleep when the sound of Kuwabara clearing his throat caught his attention.
The man sighed as he stared down at Hiei. “Hiei…I want to ask you to allow me to propose to Yukina.”
“It's alright with me, Kuwabara.” Hiei said, almost pleasantly.
Kuwabara's face lit up into a goofy-happy expression before Hiei's next words squashed his glee: “If dying is alright with you.”
Kuwabara's shoulders slumped as he turned to walk away. This time, however, he stopped and turned back. “No. You know what, Hiei, for 4 years I've been asking, and we both know I could've lost her last week. You may feel entitled to keep her from the love of a brother, but you won't stand in the way of my love for her anymore! I will fight, and yes, even die, if necessary, for the chance to be with her.”
Hiei smirked, “Hn. Then you may ask her, Kuwabara.”
“Wait…what?” Kuwabara asked, confused.
“You have my blessing to marry Yukina. I never said I would kill you, I simply asked if you were willing to die for her. Until now your answer wasn't satisfactory.”
“Why you little…”
“You're welcome, Kuwabara.” Hiei added a hint of annoyance in his tone.
“Right. Thanks, Hiei!” Kuwabara said, turning away, goofy grin back in place.
 
Kagome smiled up at Hiei. “And would you die for me?”
He smiled back, more at peace than he could ever remember being, “I'd go to hell and back.”
 
The End
Japanese Words:
Baka-idiot, fool
Onna-Woman
Miko-Priestess
Shikon no tama-Jewel of four souls
Hanyou-Half-demon Half-Human
Inu-Dog
Atokata-Shadow