Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ Happy Lil' Shuu-chan ❯ One-Shot

[ A - All Readers ]
Kurama looked upward at the cup that was sitting on the table, mocking him. He reached up his hands and stood on his tiptoes, stretching for all he was worth, but the cup was still to far away for him to reach it. He gave up and stared coldly at the child hands that were currently his. He could always call in his human mother. His tiny face scrunched up a bit. No, he wouldn't ask that weak ningen for help. She was afterall, nothing but a mere ningen. Anything she could do, he could definantly do better.

Kurama gave the cup one last cold look and wandered out from the kitchen and into the living room, sitting on the floor with his human toys and staring at them. He didn't find them entertaining, yet when his human mother passed by or looked in on him, he would push one of them around aimlessly, simply to keep up appearances. Yet she wasn't anywhere around and he realized, with a bit of surprise, that he wish she were. She always had something for him to do, to keep him busy.

He laid down besides one of his human toys and aimlessly pushed it around with his hand, his thoughts roaming. He almost grinned when he heard familiar, soft footsteps enter into the room. "Shuu-chan? You look bored. Would you like to do something with me?"

Kurama sat up and turned to his human mother, noting immediately the multcolored, small pieces of paper she had with her, in a box. He watched as she moved effortlessly and gracefully acrossed the living room, kneeling beside him when she reached him. He was always a little in awe when she moved. He had only seen such grace in some youkai before. Most ningen he saw as clumsy, loudmouthed idiots, but his human mother was quiet, reserved and moved with a grace that was almost delicate.

Kurama studied her for a moment, wondering if perhaps she didn't have a little youkai in her, then turned his attention to the box full of colored paper she had sat down. He blinked as she picked up a star-shaped piece of paper and handed it to him, his hands automatically closing over it. He turned it around, studying it and blinked when he noticed it wasn't just one piece of paper, but several put together to form a design.

Kurama looked up curiously at his human mother, and she smiled back at him, a smile that made him feel warm inside. "It's oragami, Shuu-chan. You take these little pieces of paper and fold them. Sometimes alone, sometimes together. But no matter if their folded alone or together, they always turn into something beautiful. Would you like me to teach you?"

Kurama listened as she explained and looked down at the star in his hand. He nodded and smiled tentatively at her. She beamed back at him and picked up a piece of paper. She began folding it, showing him where she was folding it and how, explaining to him as she went. He watched, amazed as she made a little design. "This is a fortune tellar, Shuu-chan. It's one of the most easiest designs and perhaps the most fun."

Kurama took the fortune tellar from her and blinked in amazement when he saw how it moved when he stuck his finger's in the holes on the bottom. They certainly didn't have this down in the makai! Determined, Kurama reached over and took ahold of a piece of paper himself. He began folding it how she showed him, but he couldn't make his tiny child hands do it properly. Disgusted, mostly with himself, and tossed down the piece of paper and folded his hands under his arms, looking off to the side. It was just a stupid ningen trick anyways.

"Oh, Shuu-chan. Don't be mad." Kurama blinked when he felt a hand in his hair and looked up to see his mother bending over him, gently smoothing out his hair with one of her pale, delicate hands. "It's alright, Shuu-chan. Something great always comes out of something small. And mistakes are bound to happen along the way. All you need to do is try again. You can do it, I have faith in you."

Kurama blinked in surprise as his mother picked up him up and sat him on her lap. "Come on, Shuu-chan. We'll do one together." From his new vantage point, he watched as his mother picked up a new piece of paper and put it into his hands. Using her own to guide his, Kurama blinked as his hand's slowly began to fold the paper. He watched as a fortune tellar design came through. His mother was talking the entire time, her voice low as she recited the steps, ever patient. When she was done talking, there, in his hand's, was a fortune tellar.

Kurama blinked and scrunched up his little face. He had definantly seen it this time! He bent forward and snagged his own piece of paper, putting aside the fortune tellar he had made with his mother's help. Slowly he began to fold the new paper, his face scrunched up in concentration. He recited the steps over his his head, the mental voice that of his mothers.

When the steps were done, he had a small, slightly messed up, but identifiable fortune tellar in his hands. He grinned from ear to ear and turned, showing his mother the fortune tellar. She laughed and hugged him, kissing the top of his head. "See, Shuu-chan? I knew you could do it! Everything takes time and practise. Shall we make more?"

Kurama and his mother spent that morning make oragami. Kurama would watch as his mother showed him a new design and he would try to emulate it. Sometimes he got frustrated when he couldn't make the design right off the bat, but his mother would always smile as him and say, "One step at a time, Shuu-chan. You can do it."

By the time lunch came around, Kurama had successfully made several designs. Some of them were a little off, but he blamed that on the bodies poor hand-eye coordination. The other's were perfect. One that he was especially proud of was a tiny star. He had sweated over that one, trying to make it perfect and in the end it was worth it. He watched as his mother gathered up his designs and placed them on a shelf. "See, Shuu-chan? Now whenever you feel you can't do something, all you have to do is look up here and see these. You can do anything you put your mind to. I'll go make us some lunch."

Kurama watched as his mother smiled and walked into the kitchen, then he moved himself so that he was looking up at the shelf. He tucked his little hands behind his back and tilted his head, casting a look towards the kitchen, where he could hear his mother humming. He realized that while she may not be a youkai, she was wise. Smiling one of the first true smiles in his life, he followed after her to recieve his lunch, casting one more glance at the shelf with his oragami. He could do anything he set his mind to. He walked into the kitchen, letting the door close gently behind him.