Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ Hieibara Drabbles ❯ Shadow ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Hieibara Drabble #4
Title: Shadow
calikocat/LemonKitty
Word Count: 475
 
A/N: I have absolutely no idea where this came from. One minute I'm watching One Piece, the next I'm writing about Hiei being all depressive `n stuff. Strange…very strange.
 
XXX
 
“Can darkness be redeemed?”
 
Kuwabara looked over his shoulder at his nakama in the gathering shadows as the sun set beyond the trees. Hiei stood away from him, his gaze directed downward and his eyes were clouded. It the human didn't know any better he'd say Hiei was lost. Not physically lost because they were in the forest surrounding Genkai's temple.
 
They'd been doing a bit of training to keep themselves sharp, or rather Hiei wanted Kuwabara to stay in shape so that he wouldn't get himself killed on a mission. A small and cocky demon had tried to get the jump on them. Hiei had reacted quickly and sliced the lower class beast in half.
 
However the demon screamed in rage as it died, cursing Hiei and his black soul to hell.
 
Kuwabara moved closer to Hiei, reaching out to him.
 
“I am darkness Kazuma. Can I be redeemed? Think about it before you touch me.” Hiei's words were flat on the surface, dull like a table knife. But the breath he held afterwards was taut and filled with the tension that only comes with dread. He was waiting for Kuwabara to lower his hand, to stop and realize where they were going with this. In Hiei's eyes the human was everything he was not. Kind, loving, honorable, everything that had to do with the light; Hiei was only darkness.
 
Kuwabara sighed and continued moving closer, his hand remaining outstretched till he gently cupped the demon's face. Slowly worried blood-red orbs rose to meet eyes of blue, and widened in shock at the smile that accompanied them.
 
“Kazuma?”
 
“Stop being an idiot. You're not darkness.”
 
“Baka.”
 
“No, you're the idiot this time Hiei. If anything you're a shadow. And do you know what shadow's need to separate them from the darkness?” Kuwabara looked down at his lover, still smiling. “Well?”
 
“Shadows need nothing; they are hidden within the darkness, they are a part of it.”
 
Kuwabara dramatically rolled his eyes. “That's why I said you're the idiot today.” He paused long enough to lean down and brush his lips against Hiei's, then he pulled away bit, their eyes locking. “The answer is light.”
 
“What?”
 
“Light Hiei. For a shadow to exist it needs light, or else there is nothing.” Suddenly he had a goofy grin on his face to lighten the moment. “And you don't have a thing to worry about a thing shrimp. I like shadows.”
 
Hiei smirked and leaned forward, letting his forehead rest against the human's. “Perhaps you're not such an idiot after all…thank you.”
 
“No problem, besides, you're no fun when get all mopey. Now come on, Yukina's cooking for us at Genkai's.” A large hand swooped down to grab Hiei's and Kuwabara proceeded to drag his lover towards the temple.
 
And Hiei could only shake his head in wonder.
 
XXX