Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ In the Heat of the Moment ❯ Chapter 1

[ A - All Readers ]
In the Heat

It was hot. So, so hot. Kurama sat at his desk, head buried in his hands. Then suddenly he raised his head. Hadn't Okaasan said she had bought some ice-cream? Ah yes, she had.
Chocolate, in fact. His favourite.
Quickly, he got up and rushed to the kitchen, grinning. He opened the fridge - but there was no ice-cream. He searched the kitchen over and over again, wondering whether his mother had accidentally mistaken one of the cupboards or perhaps even the oven for the refridgerator, but he found no ice-cream. Not a single drop.
On his thirtieth round, he noticed a strand of black hair, tinted with a bit of white at one end lying in the fridge. He held it up, then crushed it in his palm.
Hiei had raided the fridge again.
Hiei had taken all the ice cream.
Hiei had deprived him of relief from the heat.
Hiei was going to pay.
Hiei was going to die.
The summer heat had finally gotten to Kurama, turning his annoyance at Hiei to insane anger, driving Kurama out of the house and onto the road, in search for the youkai who dared to deprive him of ice cream.
Kurama cracked the rose whip, now in his hand, glaring at everyone and everything around him. Where was the culptrit? Where was the fire demon? Where was the criminal who dared to steal from the infamous thief Youko Kurama?! Kurama was born to steal; and not to be stolen from.
He cracked the whip once more.
People backed away from him, giving him strange looks.
Then he spotted him. Hiei was up in a tree in the park, taking his usual afternoon nap. Just the sight of him made Kurama seeth; his ki shot up, and the infamous Youko Kurama made his debut appearance in the Ningenkai.
Hiei woke up, having sensed very, very strong youki coming from someone nearby. The ki felt strangely familiar. He immediately got up, his hand already poised over the hilt of his katana. But he was too late; the branches of the tree he had been sleeping in entwined themselves around his ankles, wrists and neck. He was slowly lowered down from the tree with un-Hiei-like ungracefulness.
His ruby eyes widened when he saw Kurama - in youko form - standing before him, smirking at him. Clearly, it had been Kurama who had made the tree do what it had done to him.
"Kurama?"
The youko cracked his whip once more. Then he reached out a hand and stroked Hiei's cheek, still smirking.
"Get your hands off me, kitsune. What's wrong with you?"
"I've been deprived of my ice-cream, my little fire demon. And because you were the one to deprive me of that, you will be given the honor of being killed by the infamous most-feared legendary youko thief Kurama." Kurama raised the whip. "Now, Hiei, get ready to meet your doom."
Hiei glared at Kurama. "I didn't deprive you of anything,"
"You raided the fridge last night and ate up all the sweet snow! Didn't you, Hiei? Knowing full well that it's summer, and my family and I will probably die from the heat, you ate up all the sweet snow, leaving nothing for my family or my family except a strand of hair!" Kurama put his hands on his hips. "Now what have you got to say for yourself?"
Hiei looked away guiltily. "It was only sweet snow," he mumbled.
"Sweet snow that would have saved my family's life." Kurama lowered the whip. Slowly, gradually, his anger was dissipating, and he changed back to the sweet old patient Minamino Shuuichi whom we all know and love. "Sweet snow that would have saved my life."
Hiei muttered something incomprehensible.
"What was that?"
"Nothing."
Silver hair and golden eyes made their appearance in the Ningenkai once more.
"Say it, Hiei, or you die."
Hiei hung a little way off the ground, the branches still entwined around him. "Hn."
Immediately a sword that used to be an innocent blade of green grass tasted blood for the first time. A small dribble of blood rolled down Hiei's neck from the small cut that Kurama had made.
"Say it."
"I said that you're always over-reacting."
"Oh really?" The blade pressed against Hiei's neck.
"Yes really." Once again, Hiei dug his own grave - even specified what kind of stone he wanted his tombstone to made out of.
"Heh. . ." Kurama grinned, flicking his tail, bringing the blade ever so closer to Hiei's throat.
"Kurama!"
Kurama turned, blade of grass still in hand, and smiled when he saw Yuusuke and Kuwabara.
"Kurama!" Kuwabara yelled. "What on earth are you doing?!"
Kurama grinned. "Killing Hiei."
"NANI?!"
Hiei glared.
"I mean, though it would be a good idea..." Kuwabara said thoughtfully.
"Kurama, are you out of your mind?" Yuusuke yelled.
"No, but Hiei is." Kurama smiled at Hiei.
"So that's why you tied him up." Kuwabara prodded Hiei. Hiei glared harder.
"Hiei's mad?"
"Yes." Kurama turned to Yuusuke. "He ate the sweet snow."
"Eh?"
"He ate the sweet snow, leaving me to die in the summer heat. And if that isn't insane, it's evil. And because Hiei's evil and insane, I'm going to kill him."
"Kurama, stop!" Yuusuke cried out, grabbing Kurama's arm. "This is Hiei we're talking about!"
Prod, prod. Glare. . . Prod. GLARE. . .
"He stole my ice-cream."
Yuusuke studied Kurama's face. Then shook his head. "Okay, you've definitely hit your head on something. Or maybe it's the heat? Either way, I'm bringing you to Koenma. . ."
"Yuu-"
"Ku-Kurama-san?"
Kurama looked beyond Yuusuke, then smiled. "Oh, hello, Mitarai-kun."
"Hello. What's Hiei-san doing tied up?"
"He's going to die."
"Die?"
"Yes. Because he's evil and insane enough to steal my sweet snow, he's going to die." Kurama's golden eyes glinted menacingly. "At Youko Kurama's hands."
"BAKA KITSUNE!!!!" Hiei yelled, as he glared at the laughing Kuwabara.
"What's sweet snow?"
"Ice cream." Yuusuke informed.
"Oh." Mitarai looked at Hiei, still tied up, then at Kurama, flicking his tail and cracking his whip threateningly, then at Yuusuke, trying to reason out with Kurama and at Kuwabara, teasing Hiei. "Kurama-san."
"Yes?"
"I'll give you my ice-cream."
"Really?"
"Yes." Mitarai smiled at Hiei. "I don't think Hiei-san should die."
"But he stole my sweet snow!"
"But maybe he didn't know it was wrong!"
"I knew it was wrong and I didn't care!" Hiei yelled, but he was ignored, fortunately for him.
"Oh, yes." Kurama's golden eyes started glinting green. "Maybe he didn't know."
"So I'll give you my ice-cream and you don't kill Hiei."
"Okay. . ." Kurama, now Shuuichi, smiled. "Deal."
Hiei dropped onto the floor as the branches went back to normal.
Yuusuke sighed. Kuwabara was still laughing.
"BAKA KISTUNE!!! I'M GONNA KILL YOU!!!"
Kurama looked at Hiei. "Okay, Hiei, now I'm going to teach you what's right and what's wrong in the Ningenkai. Here, the rules differ a lot from those in the Makai. . ."
"Hiei-san."
"Hn."
"Your sister..." Mitarai lowered his voice, an evil glint in his blue eyes. "Yukina-san, right?"
Hiei narrowed his eyes. "How did you know?"
"I've got sources. . .so, I saved your life, Hiei-san. Repay me."
"With what?"
"Yukina-san."
"Nani?"
"You give me Yukina-san."
"What do you mean?"
"Make her dump Kuwabara-san, and make her love me. Simple as that."
Hiei glanced at Kuwabara, then smirked. "Deal."
Yuusuke looked at Mitarai, then shook his head. He just didn't seem to know his friends like he used to.